PDA

View Full Version : Five of eight...

trojanbrutha
12-01-2013, 01:26 PM
would be good if you're talking completions or 3rd down conversions. This is the number of DTs that are seniors. The three others listed are Gosha, DJ Johnson, and Slater. These are 3 young men we can count on, but they'll need some help. There is a definite need for some juco help, but 2-3 hs players would be great.

dgoebel
12-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Begged, pleaded, emailed write ups etc on a DT from my HS. 6"3 260 offers from South AL, FIU and FAU. We could get him, he wants to be closer to home and doesn't want S. FL. Kid is a leader and can play. Rural HS, 5A in Florida.

TroyFootball05
12-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Begged, pleaded, emailed write ups etc on a DT from my HS. 6"3 260 offers from South AL, FIU and FAU. We could get him, he wants to be closer to home and doesn't want S. FL. Kid is a leader and can play. Rural HS, 5A in Florida.

Will you be upset if he doesn't get an offer?

TroyFootball05
12-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Here is a list of current offers:

http://troyrecruitingnews.blogspot.com/

dgoebel
12-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Will you be upset if he doesn't get an offer?

I will be if we don't and he goes to South.

dgoebel
12-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Here is a list of current offers:

http://troyrecruitingnews.blogspot.com/

No DT offers? Puzzled by that

TUTrojan
12-01-2013, 07:54 PM
I would love to see more DT and LB offers... That is ridiculous!

Is the 5'1" WR a typo?

Nice Trojan
12-01-2013, 08:55 PM
It's a typo - he is pushing 5'11", but he is a stud. Can do it all. He plays WR, RB, QB (wildcat), DB, KR. He has several kick returns for TDs this year for NHS. If they win Friday they will play for the 7a state championship. And he is the biggest reason why. He would fit in our offense well and I see where Tony Franklin and Cal has already offered him too.

GoTroyGo1
12-01-2013, 10:42 PM
It's a typo - he is pushing 5'11", but he is a stud. Can do it all. He plays WR, RB, QB (wildcat), DB, KR. He has several kick returns for TDs this year for NHS. If they win Friday they will play for the 7a state championship. And he is the biggest reason why. He would fit in our offense well and I see where Tony Franklin and Cal has already offered him too.

Update on Steven Peoples: Has an offer from Va Tech if he qualifies but is marginal. The kid is better than the two we made offers to on that list. I will be disappointed if Troy doesn't offer a 3,070 yard rusher with 4.55 speed.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1805816/steven-peoples

trojanbrutha
12-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Update on Steven Peoples: Has an offer from Va Tech if he qualifies but is marginal. The kid is better than the two we made offers to on that list. I will be disappointed if Troy doesn't offer a 3,070 yard rusher with 4.55 speed.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1805816/steven-peoples

Ok...you can go sit in the corner with dgoebel...:laughing021:

GoTroyGo1
12-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Ok...you can go sit in the corner with dgoebel...:laughing021:

3,070 yards 44 TD's not good enough for Troy??

trojanbrutha
12-01-2013, 11:46 PM
3,070 yards 44 TD's not good enough for Troy??

Sure it is, but you shouldn't get an attitude about something that is beyond your control...you can pass the info along, but there is zero obligation that's required with that. You win some, you lose some.

GoTroyGo1
12-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Sure it is, but you shouldn't get an attitude about something that is beyond your control...you can pass the info along, but there is zero obligation that's required with that. You win some, you lose some.

Just saying I will be checking back there to see if we have contacted the Head Coach. If we do not there is something wrong with our recruiting.

trojanbrutha
12-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Just saying I will be checking back there to see if we have contacted the Head Coach. If we do not there is something wrong with our recruiting.

You do understand that signing day is about 2 mths away and no "relationship" has been established, at this point? I think you're just going to be upset on that day...

Lego
12-02-2013, 01:09 AM

There has been something wrong for awhile now.

We are too busy calling Alabama and Auburn wusses instead of focusing on recruiting. Our recruiting is lazy, period. Results reflect it.

trojanbrutha
12-02-2013, 01:24 AM

We are too busy calling Alabama and Auburn wusses instead of focusing on recruiting. Our recruiting is lazy, period. Results reflect it.

It's the same staff that just pulled in the best recruiting class since moving up, by the numbers. This is the time of year when they sign the mid-year guys. Two months to go, so it's plenty of time since this won't be a full 25 man class.

GoTroyGo1
12-02-2013, 07:37 AM

If the staff will make a call up to Galax Va, they will hear about the best player from Southwest Va in the past 15 years, a kid who has similar stats and athletic ability to compare favorably with Thomas Jones, Julius Jones and Ahmad Bradshaw; former HS stars from the area, all of whom played in the NFL. This is the opinion of every single HS coach in my part of the state. I'm not just saying this because he is from my hometown. He will probably wind up at Va Tech if he qualifies, if it is a question mark, some FCS or D II school in the Southeast will get a potential future All American at that level. If he played for a large HS in Northern Va or Hampton Roads he would be on everyone's radar. Since Galax is a class 1A school with only 350 kids he has been overlooked to a large degree. Steven is exactly the type of player Troy should be making a effort to sign.

Lego
12-02-2013, 08:03 AM
If the staff will make a call up to Galax Va, they will hear about the best player from Southwest Va in the past 15 years, a kid who has similar stats and athletic ability to compare favorably with Thomas Jones, Julius Jones and Ahmad Bradshaw; former HS stars from the area, all of whom played in the NFL. This is the opinion of every single HS coach in my part of the state. I'm not just saying this because he is from my hometown. He will probably wind up at Va Tech if he qualifies, if it is a question mark, some FCS or D II school in the Southeast will get a potential future All American at that level. If he played for a large HS in Northern Va or Hampton Roads he would be on everyone's radar. Since Galax is a class 1A school with only 350 kids he has been overlooked to a large degree. Steven is exactly the type of player Troy should be making a effort to sign.

I hear ya and am with ya.

This staff is just not going to do that. They don't have the get up and go when it comes to recruiting. As established, they focus on their personal camps and JUCOS. They don't recruit Mobile, Alabama, they are not going to VA, even though CLB has confirmed he has zero restrictions on recruiting.

He looks like a stud.

trojanbrutha
12-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Ok

dgoebel
12-02-2013, 10:12 AM

Your banging your head against the wall. 2 criteria to be recruited by Troy. 1) go to camp. 2) be a juco player. End of discussion. Working really well for us to, especially defensively.

Trojanfan 55
12-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Brett Medforth OG at 6'4" 310 lbs, Taylor Driggers DT at 6'3" 275 lbs and Seth Roberts/Calloway (changed his last name) DE/DT at 6'5" 270 lbs will all be on the field starting in the spring of 2014.

trojanbrutha
12-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Brett Medforth OG at 6'4" 310 lbs, Taylor Driggers DT at 6'3" 275 lbs and Seth Roberts/Calloway (changed his last name) DE/DT at 6'5" 270 lbs will all be on the field starting in the spring of 2014.

Arie Anderson went juco...I hope they can get him back. This will help with the 2-deep on the D line...I'm ashamed I didn't catch that one. :sad010:

TFan
12-02-2013, 10:54 AM

If running backs are not a high priority for this recruiting period, I would not expect Troy to spend a lot of valuable time pursuing running backs. Appears to me that we currently have higher priorities to fill, with so little time and resources to cover South Florida, Central Florida, NE Florida, NW Florida, South Georgia, North Georgia, all of Alabama and Mississippi, Texas, California, the Juco circuit. Oh, don't forget the midwest, with all the corn and grain grown there the boys have bigger butts which we've learned is crucial to recruiting Linemen. DLine is absolutely higher priority this year than RB's.

As discussed by many of us here, this is where all the good players come from. it appears that we have 10 or 11 NCAA qualified recruiters on the Coaching staff. I don't know how many HS Football programs there are in these Prime recruiting areas but looks to me that 10 folks can only spread so far effectively.

Maybe without a bowl game to prepare for we can get an early start like the past two seasons???

TroyFootball05
12-02-2013, 10:58 AM
1. No coach in the country is obligated to anyone who offers recruiting advice on a kid. If you get mad and upset because they didn't look at your guy, then you have a huge superiority complex. You are not entitled to anything. But I guess that's the new America we live in. I sometimes watch Golf, when I'm bored. Do you think I am going to email Tiger Woods tips on how to take better shots and whine and complain if he doesn't win, because he didn't take my advice?

2. Just about ever poster on here can spot a talented kid in their respective backyard. Do you think Troy has the time to analyze all of these kids? They have their own list, they do this for a living. Their list is as big as can be within the time they have. Fitting "your guy" in requires them to stop their work and go out on a limb for you, you being someone they may have never even met, and has not spent time recruiting on the collegiate level. So why should they stop what they are doing for you?

3. I keep hearing about a few kids that have offers from other SBC, CUSA schools, and if we don't offer them, somebody will be pissed. Should we just offer every single kid who has an offer from USA, FIU, and every other SBC/CUSA school? No. That would be ridiculous. But because we're not offering "your guy", and south is, the coaching staff must be sitting on their butts.

4. I rarely see small schools offer big time recruits. That, or maybe they just don't show small schools on rivals with recruits like Julio Jones and the like. Yet some will still be pissed that were not wasting our time on four and five stars that will sign with Alabama and LSU anyway.

You see, we all have our opinions on how recruiting should go, but some of us know better than to slam the coaching staff and say they're not doing their jobs.

People who constantly want to fire someone, make comments about how people aren't doing their jobs, or how so and so is a thug, moron, idiot or clown, is probably just as negative, mean, and angry and unproductive in real life. Tell me I'm wrong, and I'll tell you're wrong about the coaching staff. As long as we're all making assumptions about people's personal ambitions, why can't I make them about your life? Right? We'll all have fun making accusations we have no business making.

Hemi Man
12-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Did someone hit the repeat button?

GoTroyGo1
12-02-2013, 06:29 PM
1. No coach in the country is obligated to anyone who offers recruiting advice on a kid. If you get mad and upset because they didn't look at your guy, then you have a huge superiority complex. You are not entitled to anything. But I guess that's the new America we live in. I sometimes watch Golf, when I'm bored. Do you think I am going to email Tiger Woods tips on how to take better shots and whine and complain if he doesn't win, because he didn't take my advice?

2. Just about ever poster on here can spot a talented kid in their respective backyard. Do you think Troy has the time to analyze all of these kids? They have their own list, they do this for a living. Their list is as big as can be within the time they have. Fitting "your guy" in requires them to stop their work and go out on a limb for you, you being someone they may have never even met, and has not spent time recruiting on the collegiate level. So why should they stop what they are doing for you?

3. I keep hearing about a few kids that have offers from other SBC, CUSA schools, and if we don't offer them, somebody will be pissed. Should we just offer every single kid who has an offer from USA, FIU, and every other SBC/CUSA school? No. That would be ridiculous. But because we're not offering "your guy", and south is, the coaching staff must be sitting on their butts.

4. I rarely see small schools offer big time recruits. That, or maybe they just don't show small schools on rivals with recruits like Julio Jones and the like. Yet some will still be pissed that were not wasting our time on four and five stars that will sign with Alabama and LSU anyway.

You see, we all have our opinions on how recruiting should go, but some of us know better than to slam the coaching staff and say they're not doing their jobs.

People who constantly want to fire someone, make comments about how people aren't doing their jobs, or how so and so is a thug, moron, idiot or clown, is probably just as negative, mean, and angry and unproductive in real life. Tell me I'm wrong, and I'll tell you're wrong about the coaching staff. As long as we're all making assumptions about people's personal ambitions, why can't I make them about your life? Right? We'll all have fun making accusations we have no business making.

Just want to help a kid get an athletic scholarship. If I knew Troy wasn't interested I would let another school know about him. Hopefully the staff will spend 5 minutes sending an e-mail out. Not asking that much really.

TroyFootball05
12-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Just want to help a kid get an athletic scholarship. If I knew Troy wasn't interested I would let another school know about him. Hopefully the staff will spend 5 minutes sending an e-mail out. Not asking that much really.

I don't think anyone's going to see a problem with that. The difference is (presumably), you're not out there getting pissed off and getting the firing squad cued up because someone doesn't have the time or resources to check out every Joe Schmo we send their way.

Another difference is you're trying to help a kid get a scholarship. That's a kind thing to do. There's being helpful to a child, and then there's thinking we know recruiting better than the coordinators. Sending an email on a recruit is one thing. Getting pissed off because they aren't pandering to a fan's input is quite another.

GoTroyGo1
12-03-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't think anyone's going to see a problem with that. The difference is (presumably), you're not out there getting pissed off and getting the firing squad cued up because someone doesn't have the time or resources to check out every Joe Schmo we send their way.

Another difference is you're trying to help a kid get a scholarship. That's a kind thing to do. There's being helpful to a child, and then there's thinking we know recruiting better than the coordinators. Sending an email on a recruit is one thing. Getting pissed off because they aren't pandering to a fan's input is quite another.

Just have a personal interest in this kid, and he really is one of the best players in the entire state of Virginia according to area high school coaches. I know the head coach at Galax is absolutely convinced he is a Division I athlete. Steven gets a large amount of press coverage in Southwest Va. If he doesn't get an offer from Troy I am sure he will be a very fine player somewhere. I am just glad I suggested the coaches from Troy take a look at him, out of my hands after that.

preacher
12-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Just have a personal interest in this kid, and he really is one of the best players in the entire state of Virginia according to area high school coaches. I know the head coach at Galax is absolutely convinced he is a Division I athlete. Steven gets a large amount of press coverage in Southwest Va. If he doesn't get an offer from Troy I am sure he will be a very fine player somewhere. I am just glad I suggested the coaches from Troy take a look at him, out of my hands after that.

This kid is a stud. He will be a great sign for someone. He just as impressive on the defensive side.

Chasin170
12-04-2013, 08:40 AM
We need studs to bring our APR rolling average up as well…...

Hemi Man
12-04-2013, 08:54 AM
We need studs to bring our APR rolling average up as well…...

This is a major concern for me.

dgoebel
12-04-2013, 02:39 PM
This is a major concern for me.

Doesn't APR have to do with grades?

FoulPolePhenom
12-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Doesn't APR have to do with grades?

and retention/graduation of players

dgoebel
12-04-2013, 03:04 PM
and retention/graduation of players

Doesn't the juco signees hurt this?? I thought I heard that somewhere? Something to do with ACT/SAT scores?? It gets confusing. If a player transfers or quits I think that counts against it also

I know when I played we had like 25 in my signing class. Graduation rate was based on how many stayed and graduated. 1 quit the first week of practice and left, 4 others quit and left school, 2 quit but stayed in school, I had a neck injury and did not play my last year but stayed and graduated in 4 along with 2 others I remember, several others used their 5th year and graduated. So what was our graduation rate??? I don't know :confused013:

Hemi Man
12-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Doesn't the juco signees hurt this?? I thought I heard that somewhere? Something to do with ACT/SAT scores?? It gets confusing. If a player transfers or quits I think that counts against it also

I know when I played we had like 25 in my signing class. Graduation rate was based on how many stayed and graduated. 1 quit the first week of practice and left, 4 others quit and left school, 2 quit but stayed in school, I had a neck injury and did not play my last year but stayed and graduated in 4 along with 2 others I remember, several others used their 5th year and graduated. So what was our graduation rate??? I don't know :confused013:

As long as the jucos graduate I don't see any way they can hurt the APR. Transfers so not hurt as long as they are in good standing academically. I believe they have 6 years to graduate, but I could be wrong.

dgoebel
12-04-2013, 03:24 PM
As long as the jucos graduate I don't see any way they can hurt the APR. Transfers so not hurt as long as they are in good standing academically. I believe they have 6 years to graduate, but I could be wrong.

I thought that test scores counted in that number somehow?? Could be wrong or misunderstood something. Transfer I meant as transferring out not in.

Tums
12-13-2013, 12:27 PM
would be good if you're talking completions or 3rd down conversions. This is the number of DTs that are seniors. The three others listed are Gosha, DJ Johnson, and Slater. These are 3 young men we can count on, but they'll need some help. There is a definite need for some juco help, but 2-3 hs players would be great.

After the 3 you mentioned There is a couple of Grey shirts and couple of DE's (like Peek & Dobbs) that are only a few meals away from being DL's. Also there is 6-3 290# Stephens that Moved over to OL that could switch back to DL.

trojanbrutha
12-13-2013, 12:41 PM
After the 3 you mentioned There is a couple of Grey shirts and couple of DE's (like Peek & Dobbs) that are only a few meals away from being DL's. Also there is 6-3 290# Stephens that Moved over to OL that could switch back to DL.

As troyfan55 mentioned, the two grayshirts push that number to 5 and the two DEs that can slide inside could be the reason we aren't seeing any DTs emerge in this class...with the talent so far, I'm ok with it.

dgoebel
12-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Stephens ended up starting at RG the later half of the season so I would doubt they move him back. We do have depth on the OL but I can't see him moving.