PDA

View Full Version : My Christmas List for John (Santa) Hartwell

Priam
12-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Dear John (Santa) Hartwell,

For Christmas, please bring me one of each of the following:

- A bowl game in the southeast so I have a chance to go see the Trojans play one more time this year (GoDaddy perhaps?)

- An announcement before the next signing day in February that our Administration has decided to be bold and provide funding to get the End-zone building underway, which will encourage highly skilled recruits (especially speedy DBs) to want to come to Troy to participate in athletics, and will invigorate the coaching staff to work extra hard

- Rush Probst as the new Offensive Coordinator……yes he was a bad boy a couple years ago, and I'm sure he got lots of coal in his stocking, but Troy is the embodiment of second chances, and he can run the Spread Offense like Tony Franklin runs it, and I probably wouldn't be able to predict 75% of the play calls, like I can now

- A new Special Teams Coach, because our special teams have been less than special for a long time

- Maybe a new Secondary Coach, because, despite their lack of speed, the DBs also don't seem to have been taught to use their arms to wrap a ball carrier up

- A QB up to the task for next season, although I think you may already have someone in mind for that

- Beer sales

- A very wealthy, philanthropic donor, who loves Trojan Sports, who could help make the second item above happen quicker…..actually, I may want two or three of these

Finally, I want to thank you for the early present you already sent, and that was the termination of IMG

PS - Milk and cookies will be out for you, along with my donation, and there will be something for the reindeer too

Sincerely,
Priam

trojanbrutha
12-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Dear John (Santa) Hartwell,

For Christmas, please bring me one of each of the following:

- A bowl game in the southeast so I have a chance to go see the Trojans play one more time this year (GoDaddy perhaps?)

- An announcement before the next signing day in February that our Administration has decided to be bold and provide funding to get the End-zone building underway, which will encourage highly skilled recruits (especially speedy DBs) to want to come to Troy to participate in athletics, and will invigorate the coaching staff to work extra hard

- Rush Probst as the new Offensive Coordinator……yes he was a bad boy a couple years ago, and I'm sure he got lots of coal in his stocking, but Troy is the embodiment of second chances, and he can run the Spread Offense like Tony Franklin runs it, and I probably wouldn't be able to predict 75% of the play calls, like I can now

- A new Special Teams Coach, because our special teams have been less than special for a long time

- Maybe a new Secondary Coach, because, despite their lack of speed, the DBs also don't seem to have been taught to use their arms to wrap a ball carrier up

- A QB up to the task for next season, although I think you may already have someone in mind for that

- Beer sales

- A very wealthy, philanthropic donor, who loves Trojan Sports, who could help make the second item above happen quicker…..actually, I may want two or three of these

Finally, I want to thank you for the early present you already sent, and that was the termination of IMG

PS - Milk and cookies will be out for you, along with my donation, and there will be something for the reindeer too

Sincerely,
Priam

Not going to comment on much of your letter, as I respect the personal nature and context between you and him. I don't think that Coach Parker is ill-equipped to teach players to tackle. He did a very good job teaching a walk-on QB how to do it quite well.

Also, I believe the state of Alabama keeps litigating against a donor that got the ball rolling for Trojan Arena...Victory Land put a few dollars in the Troy coffers...he'd be on my list, if the state would stop screwing him over.

Lowbacca
12-01-2013, 01:39 PM
... its that they're EXTRA special :P

Priam
12-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Not going to comment on much of your letter, as I respect the personal nature and context between you and him. I don't think that Coach Parker is ill-equipped to teach players to tackle. He did a very good job teaching a walk-on QB how to do it quite well.

Also, I believe the state of Alabama keeps litigating against a donor that got the ball rolling for Trojan Arena...Victory Land put a few dollars in the Troy coffers...he'd be on my list, if the state would stop screwing him over.

Not the coach I was referring to. More toward Coach Landry.

trojanbrutha
12-01-2013, 07:00 PM

Okay...he coaches CBs and I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. I think he deserves the same consideration as Bolt, seeing as he saw fit to bring him in...Righting the ship is a process that has to be given a chance, We'll know pretty soon if any coaching changes will be made.

TFan
12-01-2013, 08:52 PM

I don't recall #7, # Trawick, J Anderson or any other DB's tackling well these past 4 years before D Landry worked here. Just take a look at the first Navy game tapes, 2 seasons ago up in Annapolis. I believe that's our same #7 getting beat almost every single option play to his side.

My point is, the talent you get (recruit) is the talent you got. Great coaching can't turn Div II athletes into All Americans just because they're on the field. Listen to the TV commentators size up their's vs ours talentwise. We recruit a QB, RB, Olinemen etc that SEC, Big 10, ACC won't offer; there's a reason for that. We shouldn't expect 1st year or even experienced coaching to turn No-Stars into AllStars.. just isn't gonna happen with a lot of frequency. Just doesn't add up. Maybe these DB's tackled well in high school, against average high school talent. Now they have to tackle All-Star talent every game. Would you want B-average Biology student doing cardio surgery on a loved one?? That's what many of you expect here.

The reality of the Troy Trojan Football program, we gotta recruit better athletes to achieve better results. Just a fact. Ask yourself in all honesty, could Nick Saban turn No-stars into All-stars. Even with all the best coaching in the Nation?? ALL the time???

The issue here, Coaches, recruiters etc gotta get the emphasis on recruiting and retaining better athletes. Period. Many other message posters have stated here before... just a fact.

Our coaches work hard. To single out one coach for one year of work just galls me.

TUTrojan
12-01-2013, 09:07 PM
I don't recall #7, # Trawick, J Anderson or any other DB's tackling well these past 4 years before D Landry worked here. Just take a look at the first Navy game tapes, 2 seasons ago up in Annapolis. I believe that's our same #7 getting beat almost every single option play to his side.

My point is, the talent you get (recruit) is the talent you got. Great coaching can't turn Div II athletes into All Americans just because they're on the field. Listen to the TV commentators size up their's vs ours talentwise. We recruit a QB, RB, Olinemen etc that SEC, Big 10, ACC won't offer; there's a reason for that. We shouldn't expect 1st year or even experienced coaching to turn No-Stars into AllStars.. just isn't gonna happen with a lot of frequency. Just doesn't add up. Maybe these DB's tackled well in high school, against average high school talent. Now they have to tackle All-Star talent every game. Would you want B-average Biology student doing cardio surgery on a loved one?? That's what many of you expect here.

The reality of the Troy Trojan Football program, we gotta recruit better athletes to achieve better results. Just a fact. Ask yourself in all honesty, could Nick Saban turn No-stars into All-stars. Even with all the best coaching in the Nation?? ALL the time???

The issue here, Coaches, recruiters etc gotta get the emphasis on recruiting and retaining better athletes. Period. Many other message posters have stated here before... just a fact.

Our coaches work hard. To single out one coach for one year of work just galls me.

I partially agree. At the same time, I think we could use some more well-rounded players on defense. We don't solely need "athletes"- I think that has been part of our problem in regards to commitments never even dressing out (or not performing well when they do). We need kids that can use their heads to A) qualify, B) Stay in school, and c) excel on the mental side of defense. It's not all about how fast someone is. Plenty of other schools in our conference have solid guys like our old LB Farmer (who maybe didn't have all the tools but was always making an impact or involved in the play). I also like going after fromer QBs that can play LB (like Bear Woods) and Safety. Game smarts and leadership help a ton.

TFan
12-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I partially agree. At the same time, I think we could use some more well-rounded players on defense. We don't solely need "athletes"- I think that has been part of our problem in regards to commitments never even dressing out (or not performing well when they do). We need kids that can use their heads to A) qualify, B) Stay in school, and c) excel on the mental side of defense. It's not all about how fast someone is. Plenty of other schools in our conference have solid guys like our old LB Farmer (who maybe didn't have all the tools but was always making an impact or involved in the play). I also like going after fromer QBs that can play LB (like Bear Woods) and Safety. Game smarts and leadership help a ton.

RECRUITING the right folks. Period. Woefully lacking at Veteran's Field for 3 years >>> Leadership, game smarts (thinking) on BOTH sides of the line. 100% agree.

dgoebel
12-01-2013, 09:52 PM
RECRUITING the right folks. Period. Woefully lacking at Veteran's Field for 3 years >>> Leadership, game smarts (thinking) on BOTH sides of the line. 100% agree.

We are refusing to recruit the part of Florida where 75% of the football is played and the vast majority of the talent is and that is South of Gainsville. We allow our competition to recruit there and they continue to get better and our slide continues. We have to get some players our of these areas, way to much talent to ignore.

trojanbrutha
12-01-2013, 09:58 PM
We are refusing to recruit the part of Florida where 75% of the football is played and the vast majority of the talent is and that is South of Gainsville. We allow our competition to recruit there and they continue to get better and our slide continues. We have to get some players our of these areas, way to much talent to ignore.

We are well aware of your thoughts on the subject, but do you have to derail every thread with it? :confused013:

dgoebel
12-01-2013, 10:01 PM
We are well aware of your thoughts on the subject, but do you have to derail every thread with it? :confused013:

Why don't you make a remark to Tfan and others who have opinions about our recruiting??? And by the way how has Troy's recruiting philosophy been working lately?????

Would we recruit Alabama and ignore Bham and Mobile??? Then why are we doing it in FL????

trojanbrutha
12-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Why don't you make a remark to Tfan and others who have opinions about our recruiting??? And by the way how has Troy's recruiting philosophy been working lately?????

Would we recruit Alabama and ignore Bham and Mobile??? Then why are we doing it in FL????

...to be continued on the recruiting forum?

Lego
12-02-2013, 01:13 AM

Pot calling the kettle black.

Lego
12-02-2013, 01:14 AM

We already ignore Mobile.

Lego
12-02-2013, 01:28 AM
- Rush Probst as the new Offensive Coordinator……yes he was a bad boy a couple years ago, and I'm sure he got lots of coal in his stocking, but Troy is the embodiment of second chances, and he can run the Spread Offense like Tony Franklin runs it, and I probably wouldn't be able to predict 75%

Sincerely,
Priam

Nice list.

Rush Probst is a NO. He has zero moral compass. We do not want him representing the university that I have degrees from and I credit a lot of good things from my life to.

And no I am not perfect and make mistakes but his have banned him from being a leader of young men and representing Troy University. IMO

If some hick county in middle Georgia wants him to coach, fine.
I hope he does repent, for both his families sake.

Did you watch the recent ESPN special on him? Holding high school football players scholarships over their heads ?! Tool.

He could not recruit effectively, there would be so much negative recruiting against him and it would all be true ! No defense against it.

CLB is class, he does not need to jump down into the sewer at this point.
There are plenty of young very talented OC that would kill to OC at Troy that are respectful also.

trojanbrutha
12-02-2013, 01:28 AM
Pot calling the kettle black.

Yes and I still don't get why you do that :thumb:

Priam
12-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Nice list.

Rush Probst is a NO. He has zero moral compass. We do not want him representing the university that I have degrees from and I credit a lot of good things from my life to.

And no I am not perfect and make mistakes but his have banned him from being a leader of young men and representing Troy University. IMO

If some hick county in middle Georgia wants him to coach, fine.
I hope he does repent, for both his families sake.

Did you watch the recent ESPN special on him? Holding high school football players scholarships over their heads ?! Tool.

He could not recruit effectively, there would be so much negative recruiting against him and it would all be true ! No defense against it.

CLB is class, he does not need to jump down into the sewer at this point.
There are plenty of young very talented OC that would kill to OC at Troy that are respectful also.

Unless you are in close personal contact with Probst, his employers or his friends and family, you are in no position to judge who he is, or what his moral standards are. You admittedly rely on ESPN for your information on him, and if you believe they tell the unvarnished truth in a made-for-TV production, you are truly ignorant or gullible, or both.

How did TV and others see Larry when he was ousted from Auburn and then came to Troy? They saw him as a coach who got caught violating NCAA rules by providing money to his players and told one to "keep it down home cuz". So much was the situation, he wasn't allowed to personally recruit players his first year here. He had to let the staff do all the recruiting.

You are what is typical among society today, you let your judging be made for you by mass media. You let the talking heads make your mind up for you, and then they tell you what your moral designation should be for the person or event they are reporting.

Lego
12-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Unless you are in close personal contact with Probst, his employers or his friends and family, you are in no position to judge who he is, or what his moral standards are. You admittedly rely on ESPN for your information on him, and if you believe they tell the unvarnished truth in a made-for-TV production, you are truly ignorant or gullible, or both.

How did TV and others see Larry when he was ousted from Auburn and then came to Troy? They saw him as a coach who got caught violating NCAA rules by providing money to his players and told one to "keep it down home cuz". So much was the situation, he wasn't allowed to personally recruit players his first year here. He had to let the staff do all the recruiting.

You are what is typical among society today, you let your judging be made for you by mass media. You let the talking heads make your mind up for you, and then they tell you what your moral designation should be for the person or event they are reporting.

You are incorrect. We are all in a position to judge. And your "statements" concerning my knowledge above are naive, full of assumptions and innuendo.

I asked if you had seen the ESPN special. My decision on this subject is based on the same information you have, personal information and second hand accounts. And yes I have personal information from his coaching stints down in Bayou/Grand Bay and in Hoover. Nothing comes from the talking heads but they aren't that far off.
But concerning the ESPN special, was that not him ? Do you want that representing Troy ? It is all about him ? Ask some of his former players, a lot more hate than love. Leaders inspire through example and heart. He tries to do nothing but inspire fear and intimidation.

Comparing what Larry did and what Rush did are in too different ballparks ! Yes, we judge the level of sin. Stealing a battery is not as bad as stabbing someone.

I feel in more justified in my decision due to your vicious reply and defense of the subject. It is harsh and is full of ignorance of what and who I know concerning the subject.

Like I said I hope he finds a better place for both his families sake. Our Troy family does not need his "contributions"

Hemi Man
12-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Two things to add to this thread. Jesus didn't come to save the righteous. Neal Brown was not very popular, to stay the least, with the players when he was at Troy.