PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for Next Season's Stadium Experience...

Burn the Horse
11-30-2013, 10:06 PM
I'd like to see something similar to the Minnesota Vikings horn sound effect when we score or do something good. Ancient world armies like the our mascot used horns to coordinate battle, we should play on that.

It would give our stadium a new unique feel to it. Pride for the home fans and great annoyance to the visiting.

March On Y'all.

Sunbelt City
11-30-2013, 10:52 PM
How about winning?

dgoebel
11-30-2013, 10:54 PM
How about winning?

That's the best game/stadium experience :thumb:

BeachTrojan
11-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Being in attendance, I see we've nixed the little jet. I know some of y'all are glad about that.

I have a suggestion to improve game-day experience. Muzzle the idiot in upper 112 or 111 who is horribly obnoxious in responding to what's happening on the field (called out a few young men by name from the stands - Chris Pickett in particular). He's the type you just look at and hope opposing teams, respectable people, and small children do not see. What an embarrassment. His poor family members with him were visibly ashamed and kept pulling on his jacket arm to get him to sit down, shut up, and not to look like an imbecilic douche but he still succeeded. Maybe he wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb amid more fans but as I think about it, I know that isn't true. There's cheering and doing it right as the majority of you do and wish others would follow. Then there's acting like all of life and your entire identity is wrapped up in that singular experience and you live merely to prove your fandom and loyalty by being the most passionately obnoxious person in attendance.

If you're a member of this board and are reading this, you should know there's a far better way to represent yourself as a human being and a Troy fan. I'm glad and thankful you are not typical. I felt sorry for your poor wife or whoever she was, who tried her best to melt into the bleacher and hide. You were a disgrace to her. That should send up a flare for you about your public behavior.

To the rest of you who cheer loudly, proudly and do so with class and dignity - THANK YOU.

Another suggestion (which I know is in the works) - we desperately need a better jumbo-tron or two. Replays weren't visible at all. That's the one thing that keeps me from making the 2.5 hr. trip more often; being able to see the replay and things that I may've missed from my view in the stands. But I know that's happening with the future renovations, right?

trojanbrutha
11-30-2013, 11:49 PM
I don't think they nixed it, per se, but I heard they had problems de-icing it before take-off...

Possum
11-30-2013, 11:56 PM
I like the winning idea... Preferably more than we lose...

Hemi Man
12-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Beer. It's coming......................................

Possum
12-01-2013, 12:49 AM

Good beer, hopefully... Not Crud light and Crudweiser

Pcbtrojan
12-01-2013, 12:52 AM

Along with mixed drinks. Maybe a barbers chair & fireballs

newnan trojan
12-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Yes we are getting 2 larger Jumbo Trons in the expansion. Which probably won't get started till the 2015 season.

Hemi Man
12-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Along with mixed drinks. Maybe a barbers chair & fireballs

Not likely, but I like your thinking.

I'm going to say we will see beer sales very soon.

BDM88
12-01-2013, 01:12 AM
I like the idea of a sound like a horn just not the Vikings horn. It is one of the dumbest sounding things other than the Patriots horn. BTW What does a horn have to do with A Patriot?

Pcbtrojan
12-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Jumbo tron weak

Fireball strong

Troy87
12-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Being in attendance, I see we've nixed the little jet. I know some of y'all are glad about that.

I have a suggestion to improve game-day experience. Muzzle the idiot in upper 112 or 111 who is horribly obnoxious in responding to what's happening on the field (called out a few young men by name from the stands - Chris Pickett in particular). He's the type you just look at and hope opposing teams, respectable people, and small children do not see. What an embarrassment. His poor family members with him were visibly ashamed and kept pulling on his jacket arm to get him to sit down, shut up, and not to look like an imbecilic douche but he still succeeded. Maybe he wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb amid more fans but as I think about it, I know that isn't true. There's cheering and doing it right as the majority of you do and wish others would follow. Then there's acting like all of life and your entire identity is wrapped up in that singular experience and you live merely to prove your fandom and loyalty by being the most passionately obnoxious person in attendance.

If you're a member of this board and......

I read the above passage and I thought of something I saw last night at the conclusion of the UA/AU game. Naturally, it was an unbelievable finish, and Alabama fans were stunned to say the least, but at one point the camera showed a parent and his two kids, with the oldest (about 8 or 9 y/o), bawling his head off.

Now I understand players who have heart, body and soul invested in the game, as well as the parents of players, and gf's, fiancés, or wives, but for a young child to have instilled in him, by a fanatical fan/parent the feeling of devastation, in no other way except by proxy, is scary.

The person you describe in the stands at Troy, is exactly the same kind of person who convinces their young child that manic depression is the result of a loss to you rival, and nothing less than mourning as if at the funeral of an immediate family member will suffice in terms of emotion that should be felt.

Maybe that kind of fan is an indicator we are a growing fan base, and we will have those no matter what, but hopefully they will be few and far between.

Spiritual_Trojan
12-01-2013, 04:09 PM

I know I'm in the minority on this one but I don't like the idea. One reason is that it seems odd that Troy has banned smoking anywhere on campus, even in an individuals car, but is ok with something else if they can make a quick buck off of it.

But on the flip side hopefully they will use the money to put tvs along the concourse/at the concession lines, audio in the bathrooms, and do a study on how to make concession lines move faster.

redwaver
12-01-2013, 04:28 PM

Told a friend who goes to and supports another collegiate team in the area that we were considering selling beer in the stadium. His response, "we did that several years ago ant trust me it is a BAD idea". He said for those who drink respondibsbly it is no problem but he said there were way too many who got so inebriated they could care less how it/they affected others. They poured beer on fans and players in more ways than one would like to think but maybe Troy won't have those kind of drunks or maybe we have a solution a waitin'! We could use the money. Just hope the ends justifies the means. I for one am not a purist and will have a drink on occasion but I won't tollerate a drunk that effects my families or friends enjoyment of an event I pay to see.

trojanbrutha
12-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Told a friend who goes to and supports another collegiate team in the area that we were considering selling beer in the stadium. His response, "we did that several years ago ant trust me it is a BAD idea". He said for those who drink respondibsbly it is no problem but he said there were way too many who got so inebriated they could care less how it/they affected others. They poured beer on fans and players in more ways than one would like to think but maybe Troy won't have those kind of drunks or maybe we have a solution a waitin'! We could use the money. Just hope the ends justifies the means. I for one am not a purist and will have a drink on occasion but I won't tollerate a drunk that effects my families or friends enjoyment of an event I pay to see.

Usually, if a decision such as this is made, there is a consideration for security...allow them to do their jobs...don't catch a case you don't have to.

TUbrian
12-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Forbid the PA guy from saying IN-COM-PLETE. Drastic improvement right there.

Hemi Man
12-01-2013, 06:51 PM

Depending on the which study you look at selling beer inside the stadium cuts down on binge drinking.

TUTrojan
12-01-2013, 08:06 PM
On top of things already mentioned, I have a couple:

1) better police seats in non-GA areas; I have people in some of my 10 seats every decent game (I stroll in right at kickoff from the tailgate).

2) Modernize choice of music. Things have changed just a little since Van Halen and Guns and Roses were relevant. What music can work to excite both fans (including students) and our athletes?

Lego
12-02-2013, 01:31 AM
forbid the pa guy from saying in-com-plete. Drastic improvement right there.

amen

troyfan
12-02-2013, 09:22 AM
and do a study on how to make concession lines move faster.

How about the people that are hired to work the concession stand actually work instead of having a social hour. That would be a start.

TFan
12-02-2013, 10:28 AM
How about the people that are hired to work the concession stand actually work instead of having a social hour. That would be a start.

Kick Sodexo out, privatize the concessions in BOTH the Vet AND the Arena. Sell space to Crowes, The Brick, Pizza Hut, Trojan Zone or whoever and let private interests manage the concessions.

Neither the Vet nor the Arena handle concessions efficiently with the status quo.

dgoebel
12-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Kick Sodexo out, privatize the concessions in BOTH the Vet AND the Arena. Sell space to Crowes, The Brick, Pizza Hut, Trojan Zone or whoever and let private interests manage the concessions.

Neither the Vet nor the Arena handle concessions efficiently with the status quo.

I agree. School is missing big money from concessions. I went for a pretzel Sat. And was told they would be ready in 30 minutes?? There wasn't even a crowd. We need bigger selections and here is a thought....coffee on cold days :confused013: I walked to the bookstore after the band played to get a coffee. How many would they have sold Sat????

TFan
12-02-2013, 10:40 AM
I agree. School is missing big money from concessions. I went for a pretzel Sat. And was told they would be ready in 30 minutes?? There wasn't even a crowd. We need bigger selections and here is a thought....coffee on cold days :confused013: I walked to the bookstore after the band played to get a coffee. How many would they have sold Sat????

FWIW I purchased Hot Chocolate at the main concession under the West Stands last Friday...was offered coffee as well. I was not only surprised that it was available but only $2 per cup.

How's this for selection> Hook's BBQ, Trojan Zone Wings, Mamma Goldberg Sandwiches and Crowes chicken basket.

Spiritual_Trojan
12-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Forbid the PA guy from saying IN-COM-PLETE. Drastic improvement right there.

I like the "IN-COM-PLETE" thing, I actually say it when I'm sitting at the house watching them. I wish we could come up with some kind of kick of cheer other than the Gooooooooo Troy Go thing they tried a few years back. It was funny though when they would take a little bit to kick off and the announcer almost ran out of breath.

Spiritual_Trojan
12-02-2013, 11:47 AM
FWIW I purchased Hot Chocolate at the main concession under the West Stands last Friday...was offered coffee as well. I was not only surprised that it was available but only $2 per cup.

How's this for selection> Hook's BBQ, Trojan Zone Wings, Mamma Goldberg Sandwiches and Crowes chicken basket.

I think this is part of the issue, they have some things on one side and other things on the other. So if you want so something, say coffee, you have to walk all the way around to the other side of the stadium backing up lines on the other side even more. With the exception of private vendors the concessions stands should offer the same things across the stadium.

Mamma Goldberg's would be flippin awesome, provided it was done by Mamma Goldbers's in their way and not like the Dream Land BBQ a few years ago :sick016:

dgoebel
12-02-2013, 01:42 PM
I think this is part of the issue, they have some things on one side and other things on the other. So if you want so something, say coffee, you have to walk all the way around to the other side of the stadium backing up lines on the other side even more. With the exception of private vendors the concessions stands should offer the same things across the stadium.

Mamma Goldberg's would be flippin awesome, provided it was done by Mamma Goldbers's in their way and not like the Dream Land BBQ a few years ago :sick016:

Village Coffee in the stadium, now were talking :thumb:

Spiritual_Trojan
12-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Village Coffee in the stadium, now were talking :thumb:

That would be flippin awesome!!! Do they still put the chocolate covered coffee bean on top of the lid?

Possum
12-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Wow, village coffee... That brought back some memories...

Used to go in there and order a triple expresso mixed with dark roast coffee, the people that worked there at the time always asked how my heart hadn't exploded yet.

dgoebel
12-02-2013, 02:12 PM
That would be flippin awesome!!! Do they still put the chocolate covered coffee bean on top of the lid?

:thumb: yes, and it is delicious. Nicest people in the world there. It is my go to stop before the games.

BeachTrojan
12-02-2013, 05:24 PM
FWIW I purchased Hot Chocolate at the main concession under the West Stands last Friday

Did you get a cup of water and a packet of hot chocolate mix? My wife went for 3 hot chocolates and came back with three cups of water and packets of mix. I think after stirring it up, spilling some in the process, I realized it was never really going to adequately mix so I gave up on mine. Wouldn't buy that again myself.

On the other hand, I did buy a thing of popcorn and a souvenir cup drink. Pleasantly surprised at the price - very good value. Was expecting to be movie-theater gouged. I'd have paid another dollar or two for that. I do like the cup too for all of you Cupgate people.

But, the hot chocolate scenario - bush league. I can go to my high school games and get better for less and it comes mixed, with a top. And I KNOW the Lion's Club is turning a profit there. *booo* *hisss*

Pcbtrojan
12-02-2013, 09:51 PM
We always got better service with the non profit groups running the main concession stands.

redwaver
12-03-2013, 06:45 AM
Usually, if a decision such as this is made, there is a consideration for security...allow them to do their jobs...don't catch a case you don't have to.

Hopefully our security is not furnished by the same company who furnishes those "event" personnel who just stand, look and do nothing. It will be a hoot to watch all the fans being frisked at the gates for our "security" taking away their dangerous bottles of water and diet cokes only to admit them in and hope they pour down 6-8 beers. Somewhere that seems almost comicŕlly hypocritical but hey, I'm just an old f--- who looks for the logic in things!

Hemi Man
12-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Hopefully our security is not furnished by the same company who furnishes those "event" personnel who just stand, look and do nothing. It will be a hoot to watch all the fans being frisked at the gates for our "security" taking away their dangerous bottles of water and diet cokes only to admit them in and hope they pour down 6-8 beers. Somewhere that seems almost comicŕlly hypocritical but hey, I'm just an old f--- who looks for the logic in things!

If you allow fans to bring drinks in you are losing money. No other sporting event allows food to be brought in. Makes perfect sense to me. Also, I don't see a lot of a people at Troy games dropping $30 or $40 a game on beer inside the stadium. My guess is that the norm on that would be 2 maybe 3 beers per person. The 3 Troy games I've been to this season that served alcohol had no issues with unruly fans that I saw.

Buzz Lightyear
12-03-2013, 09:27 AM

If you're a member of this board and are reading this, you should know there's a far better way to represent yourself as a human being and a Troy fan. I'm glad and thankful you are not typical. I felt sorry for your poor wife or whoever she was, who tried her best to melt into the bleacher and hide. You were a disgrace to her. That should send up a flare for you about your public behavior.

To the rest of you who cheer loudly, proudly and do so with class and dignity - THANK YOU.

Another suggestion (which I know is in the works) - we desperately need a better jumbo-tron or two. Replays weren't visible at all. That's the one thing that keeps me from making the 2.5 hr. trip more often; being able to see the replay and things that I may've missed from my view in the stands. But I know that's happening with the future renovations, right?

Have witnessed that as well..as far as fan calling players out by name...interestingly sits close to political science instructors kind of wondered what their thoughts were on some of the comments.

dgoebel
12-03-2013, 09:44 AM
If you allow fans to bring drinks in you are losing money. No other sporting event allows food to be brought in. Makes perfect sense to me. Also, I don't see a lot of a people at Troy games dropping $30 or $40 a game on beer inside the stadium. My guess is that the norm on that would be 2 maybe 3 beers per person. The 3 Troy games I've been to this season that served alcohol had no issues with unruly fans that I saw.

Mixed emotions on it as I have seen both sides. I have been to games where it is served (baseball and football) and have had no issues, I have also been to games in the NFL and MLB where I have witnessed drunks getting into fights and arrested. Personally, I believe Troy fans to be respectable and responsible and I would see no problems with it. I am with you in that I see 1-3 beers at the most and probably most people would not have one. However, the income generated is income they would not have. Even 1,000 beers sold a game is money they would not have had. Jmo

Spiritual_Trojan
12-03-2013, 12:55 PM

I think his point was that they will frisk people and do their job at the gate then stand around and do nothing about people squatting in seats that someone else has tickets to or not doing anything about arguments in the stands

dgoebel
12-03-2013, 01:01 PM
I think his point was that they will frisk people and do their job at the gate then stand around and do nothing about people squatting in seats that someone else has tickets to or not doing anything about arguments in the stands

I did some squatting at the Tex. St game :jester: upgraded from first row end zone to 50 yd line bench back in the shade. Hope I don't get arrested :scared:

TFan
12-03-2013, 01:08 PM
I did some squatting at the Tex. St game :jester: upgraded from first row end zone to 50 yd line bench back in the shade. Hope I don't get arrested :scared:

WE Have that on video. YOU will hear from us.

1st Infraction: 50 lashes with a Blazer pom pom

dgoebel
12-03-2013, 01:11 PM
WE Have that on video. YOU will hear from us.

1st Infraction: 50 lashes with a Blazer pom pom

If I beg for leanency can I get the lashes with a Savannah St. Pom Pom?

Spiritual_Trojan
12-03-2013, 01:26 PM

Lol its all good, cause you most likely would have moved if a person with a ticket for the seat walked up, Unlike many people

redwaver
12-03-2013, 01:34 PM

Oh, I wuz just funnin'! Thought it interesting that Security was to "police" abusers of alcohol. It isn't the "2 or 3 beers they buy inside that might create issues but rather the 6-8 they have before that 2-3 ( let's see, that's 8-11) but behave and I ain't gonna' gripe. Like they said, we need the cash! As to controlling seating, "reserved" should mean something. I've seen fans have to run squatters out of their seats week after week. Those "event personnel" just stand......and stand....and, oh well! We are told that if we don't want to or couldn't stand all game we should sit where that doesn't happen so we do then in comes the "standers" who "squat" ( hee hee) on a $10.00 ticket. The gate thing I just saw as interesting. Watched them actually pat down one fan. Guess he wuz packin'......a diet coke!:-):bounce012::laughing021:

Cane gone Trojan
12-03-2013, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=Troy87;253664]I with the oldest (about 8 or 9 y/o), bawling his head off.

He wasn't crying about the loss as much as he was probably crying about NOT getting to go to Disney Land now.

As far as game changes...I wish the PA would quit emphasizing a Troy players name on a Trojan loss of yards or very little yards gained.

FoulPolePhenom
12-03-2013, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=Troy87;253664]I with the oldest (about 8 or 9 y/o), bawling his head off.

He wasn't crying about the loss as much as he was probably crying about NOT getting to go to Disney Land now.

As far as game changes...I wish the PA would quit emphasizing a Troy players name on a Trojan loss of yards or very little yards gained.

I wish he would stop doing that anytime. Just announce what happened. Don't have to put flair into it.

Hemi Man
12-03-2013, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=Cane gone Trojan;253835]

I wish he would stop doing that anytime. Just announce what happened. Don't have to put flair into it.

Pretty standard at most of the stadiums I've been in.

FoulPolePhenom
12-03-2013, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=FoulPolePhenom;253837]

Pretty standard at most of the stadiums I've been in.

I know I haven't been to as many as you, but the ones I have been I have yet to hear one do what our guy does. The only one I know of is Western Kentucky and thats from hearing it on the radio. UAB doesnt, South Alabama, PA for SuperDome doesn't, etc.

preacher
12-03-2013, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=Cane gone Trojan;253835]

Can we please change the guy or what he says. Took friends to every home game but the last one (I had a funeral and missed the game). They all are highly annoyed by the PA guy. I will say this he is much more annoying when we are losing.

Spiritual_Trojan
12-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Oh, I wuz just funnin'! Thought it interesting that Security was to "police" abusers of alcohol. It isn't the "2 or 3 beers they buy inside that might create issues but rather the 6-8 they have before that 2-3 ( let's see, that's 8-11) but behave and I ain't gonna' gripe. Like they said, we need the cash! As to controlling seating, "reserved" should mean something. I've seen fans have to run squatters out of their seats week after week. Those "event personnel" just stand......and stand....and, oh well! We are told that if we don't want to or couldn't stand all game we should sit where that doesn't happen so we do then in comes the "standers" who "squat" ( hee hee) on a $10.00 ticket. The gate thing I just saw as interesting. Watched them actually pat down one fan. Guess he wuz packin'......a diet coke!:-):bounce012::laughing021:

Now you've got to watch out for those diet coke's they cant be detected by metal detector and can cause a massive amount of damage if mishandled (shaken then opened) :jester:

Doug4Troy
12-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I want some personality or flair in an announcer. I consider it to be a part of the game day experience. Not saying Troy's PA announcer is perfect, but I want to hear more than a monotone, boring, matter of fact, statement of "players name and yards gained/lost." And I may be blasted for this, but I like the "IN-COM-PLETE" chant (I think it drives the opposing fans crazy too).

I know many folks just want to go to the game, get settled in to their seats, chat about politics or the weather, and have a nice quiet afternoon... but that's not me. If I wanted that much control over everyone and everything around me during the game, I would just stay at home and watch it on TV.

You could tell on TV that the fans at the Seahawks game last night were crazy into the game. Loudest crowd in NFL history, and you know the announcer was a part of stirring them up (Hated that my Saints lost though). Many NFL fans get into the game and so does many of their announcers. That's the kind of atmosphere I would love to have at our home games.

Just my opinion though.

BeachTrojan
12-03-2013, 10:21 PM
What's interesting is as hard as I've seen people in the past try and start a kick-off chant, it never takes, but the IN-COM-PLETE thing is the only noticeable joint fan chant I've ever heard in the stadium and it is successful with the majority participating.

Maybe it's a case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"? But I know there's likely too much pride and heck-naw on this board's membership for any in the hate column to actually change and do it. Fighting-a-losing-battle though it may be.

FTR, I am not for or against it. Just my observation.

Spiritual_Trojan
12-04-2013, 01:39 PM
What's interesting is as hard as I've seen people in the past try and start a kick-off chant, it never takes, but the IN-COM-PLETE thing is the only noticeable joint fan chant I've ever heard in the stadium and it is successful with the majority participating.

Maybe it's a case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"? But I know there's likely too much pride and heck-naw on this board's membership for any in the hate column to actually change and do it. Fighting-a-losing-battle though it may be.

FTR, I am not for or against it. Just my observation.

I think the "And that brings up another Trojan 'first down'" Thing has picked up as well, I know pretty much the entire band did it when I was there.

newnan trojan
12-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I think the "And that brings up another Trojan 'first down'" Thing has picked up as well, I know pretty much the entire band did it when I was there.

Let's not forget the band is responsible for a lot of chants and traditions we have.