PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Scenarios: Who To Root Against

Sunbelt City
11-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Assuming we win next week and that's a big assumption, here is the bowl landscape as I see it:

First of all, we need to win. Corey Robinson deserves to finish on a positive note. He has been saddled with such horrific defenses, he has become almost a tragic hero.

Second, the mighty SEC will not be able to fill at least one spot and probably two. Pull for Mississippi.

Independence
Birmingham

Third, the Mountain West most likely will not be able to fill in one spot. Barring a miracle collapse, Fresno will get a BCS spot. Colorado St should win, but SJSU and Wyoming should lose.

Idaho Bowl

Fourth, the Big 12 might not be able to fulfill two spots and if two Big 12 teams get BCS invites-a real possibilty, then three spots are open. We really need Baylor to win out and get that invite because of the MAC (see below).

Houston Bowl
Yankee Stadium Bowl

Finally, our friends at the MAC will have 7 (SEVEN) bowl eligible teams and only three dedicated slots. That's always trouble, unless NIU sneaks into the BCS again. I do not want to play these guys in Mobile-let ArkState.

There will most likely be some trading around as I don't see a Sunbelt team getting an invite to NYC or Hawaii.

It is also apparent that the bowl alliances will be reworked with CDOA getting the boot from one or more. The AAC will those slots.

Here's how it might play out for the Sunbelt:

ULL - New Orleans
ArkState - Mobile
TMTDM - Birmingham (LBs final game? Would be a huge interest for the area)
WKU - Idaho or Detroit (they are leaving so it might be Texas State instead and I am fine with that)

One MAC team and one Sunbelt team might be left out.

Finally, just to iritate a few posters, we would have a month to sell tickets, announce LBs retirement and introduce Steve Campbell as our new incoming HC

pelliott
11-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Birmingham or Mobile - great ticket sales and fan support

newnan trojan
11-24-2013, 11:06 AM
After what Hartwell told me last night, I think our best shot is Birmingham if we get to 6-6

GoTroyGo1
11-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Assuming we win next week and that's a big assumption, here is the bowl landscape as I see it:

First of all, we need to win. Corey Robinson deserves to finish on a positive note. He has been saddled with such horrific defenses, he has become almost a tragic hero.

Second, the mighty SEC will not be able to fill at least one spot and probably two. Pull for Mississippi.

Independence
Birmingham

Third, the Mountain West most likely will not be able to fill in one spot. Barring a miracle collapse, Fresno will get a BCS spot. Colorado St should win, but SJSU and Wyoming should lose.

Idaho Bowl

Fourth, the Big 12 might not be able to fulfill two spots and if two Big 12 teams get BCS invites-a real possibilty, then three spots are open. We really need Baylor to win out and get that invite because of the MAC (see below).

Houston Bowl
Yankee Stadium Bowl

Finally, our friends at the MAC will have 7 (SEVEN) bowl eligible teams and only three dedicated slots. That's always trouble, unless NIU sneaks into the BCS again. I do not want to play these guys in Mobile-let ArkState.

There will most likely be some trading around as I don't see a Sunbelt team getting an invite to NYC or Hawaii.

It is also apparent that the bowl alliances will be reworked with CDOA getting the boot from one or more. The AAC will those slots.

Here's how it might play out for the Sunbelt:

ULL - New Orleans
ArkState - Mobile
TMTDM - Birmingham (LBs final game? Would be a huge interest for the area)
WKU - Idaho or Detroit (they are leaving so it might be Texas State instead and I am fine with that)

One MAC team and one Sunbelt team might be left out.

Finally, just to iritate a few posters, we would have a month to sell tickets, announce LBs retirement and introduce Steve Campbell as our new incoming HC

I always root for Troy first. It will be a good step in the right direction to make it to a bowl. I would like to see a halfway decent crowd for the Texas State game. Legion Field will be a "home game" for us. If we do get there, let's put UAB to shame with a strong attendance.

Chrono124
11-24-2013, 05:29 PM
After what Hartwell told me last night, I think our best shot is Birmingham if we get to 6-6

Interesting, you and Hartwell have a nice intimate conversation about the bowl options. Does he (or you) come over often, just you and him all cozy together??

BTW, Frak Steve Campbell. Sunbelt City I hate your virtual face.

Jericho Johnny
11-24-2013, 06:31 PM
My choices, without a doubt, would be Mobile followed by Birmingham. We're lucky if we get to a bowl game, so we might as well have a good showing and the decency to end up somewhere where us lowly fans can travel. Mobile? I can about guarantee I'll be there with bells on. Birmingham? Maybe. Idaho or Detroit? Would love to, but just not happening during the holidays.

It's not all about me, of course, but I think most of us fans would, for our own purposes at least, prefer the drivable games. Go Trojans.

dgoebel
11-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Does anyone have the dates for both bowls. I know the GMAC bowl in 2009 was in Jan. on a Wed which made it impossible for my family to attend ( kids back to school and wife a teacher). It would be nice if whatever bowl we would get be on the weekend, but I know it doesn't work out that way

Jericho Johnny
11-24-2013, 06:45 PM
The week day is a bummer. I will say that that GMAC Bowl was the absolute best Troy game I have ever been to, even though the stadium is in the hood, it was freezing cold, and we lost. Actually, the weather was one of the memorable/fun parts. And never have I been with such an energetic Troy crowd.

troy4ever21
11-24-2013, 06:47 PM
TxSt will go bowling before us.

Hemi Man
11-24-2013, 06:55 PM
TxSt will go bowling before us.

Don't count on it.

BBVA Compass is on Jan 4. Go Daddy is Jan 5.

Jericho Johnny
11-24-2013, 07:00 PM
So from a fan perspective, it would seem Mobile is better all around (at least if you are along the Gulf Coast as many of us are). A weekend game, close to home. hopefully lots of folks would show up.