PDA

View Full Version : Hartwell: Blakeney still has 'fire' to coach

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 01:09 PM
http://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/troy/article_30a9ee0c-52d5-11e3-a8da-0019bb30f31a.html

Despite a third straight year of disappointments, Troy athletic director John Hartwell said Thursday that he believes head football coach Larry Blakeney still has the “fire” to continue leading the program.

“Are any of us satisfied with the win total? No, but outside Ole Miss and Mississippi State, we’ve had opportunities in the fourth quarter to pull out wins,” he said. “We could very well be 9-2. Do I think Larry still has the fire? Absolutely.”

Hartwell said the 67-year-old Blakeney, who has one year left on his current contract, has made “absolutely no indication” that he plans to retire at the season’s end. The Trojan AD added he plans to sit down and discuss ways to improve the program at the end of the season – just like he would with any other Troy program.

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 01:14 PM
http://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/troy/article_30a9ee0c-52d5-11e3-a8da-0019bb30f31a.html

Despite a third straight year of disappointments, Troy athletic director John Hartwell said Thursday that he believes head football coach Larry Blakeney still has the “fire” to continue leading the program.

“Are any of us satisfied with the win total? No, but outside Ole Miss and Mississippi State, we’ve had opportunities in the fourth quarter to pull out wins,” he said. “We could very well be 9-2. Do I think Larry still has the fire? Absolutely.”

Hartwell said the 67-year-old Blakeney, who has one year left on his current contract, has made “absolutely no indication” that he plans to retire at the season’s end. The Trojan AD added he plans to sit down and discuss ways to improve the program at the end of the season – just like he would with any other Troy program.

#1 he can't fire him. #2 he leaves when he wants to leave

Trojan_Thunder
11-21-2013, 01:38 PM
From observing him on the sideline, you couldn't tell there was any fire. From observing play on the field, little discipline instilled. Let's face it, this boils down to one more year left on a contract and money. Look for another subpar year as other programs continue to out play and out recruit Troy.

Coach LB will then be given a nice send off and the rebuilding process will begin with a new coach.

newnan trojan
11-21-2013, 01:52 PM
What is Hartwell suppose to say when we will have a game or two left on the schedule...

I wouldn't expect him to say, "our coaches have lost their touch" or expect Larry to retire after this year.

Hemi Man
11-21-2013, 01:54 PM

Any evidence of that or is that just an assumption on your part?

From observing him on the sideline, you couldn't tell there was any fire. From observing play on the field, little discipline instilled. Let's face it, this boils down to one more year left on a contract and money. Look for another subpar year as other programs continue to out play and out recruit Troy.

Coach LB will then be given a nice send off and the rebuilding process will begin with a new coach.

Nope our 67 year old head coach doesn't throw his headset or temper tantrums on the side line. No he doesn't act like Hudspeth on the sideline. Is that evidence of a lack of fire? Not in my opinion. I've seen and heard him give an earful to officials at games this year. He also did it in manner that represented Troy university and himself in a respectful way.

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Any evidence of that or is that just an assumption on your part?

Nope our 67 year old head coach doesn't throw his headset or temper tantrums on the side line. No he doesn't act like Hudspeth on the sideline. Is that evidence of a lack of fire? Not in my opinion. I've seen and heard him give an earful to officials at games this year. He also did it in manner that represented Troy university and himself in a respectful way.

As to #1). How do you fire a coach you have the field named after?? You can't or else you have a field named after a fired coach. 2) so that means he retires when he is ready or pressured to.

Don't think that is an assumption, if not then we will have Larry Blakney Field " the coach who got canned". Or they would have to undo the naming of the field, like with Shroushy and Movie Gallery

SoFlaTrojan
11-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Oh, Mr. Hartwell, I am so disappointed and discouraged by your comments.

Sure, in that story it was mentioned about how Troy could be 8-3 and lost so many very close games last year. What was glaringly not mentioned is that Troy has a laughably bad defense (especially the DBs and safeties) for years now; useless special teams; offense that becomes more predictable every week and has gotten away from the spread that put Troy on the I-A map; shows little fire and heart; no discipline; shows lots of mental errors, including constant, stupid personal fouls; is horribly poor in fundamentals such as tackling; cannot win a must-win game; is being out-recruited every year; and has alienated much of its fan base and, likely, donors.

You're rolling the dice, Mr. Hartwell. I hope your decision to do nothing does not bring down the whole house of cards around you.

newnan trojan
11-21-2013, 03:02 PM

Sure, in that story it was mentioned about how Troy could be 8-3 and lost so many games last year. What was glaringly not mentioned is that Troy has a laughably bad defense (especially the DBs and safeties) for years now; useless special teams; offense that becomes more predictable every week and has gotten away from the spread that put Troy on the I-A map; shows little fire and heart; no discipline; shows lots of mental errors, including constant, stupid personal fouls; is horribly poor in fundamentals such as tackling; cannot win a must-win game; is being out-recruited every year; and has alienated much of its fan base and, likely, donors.

You're rolling the dice, Mr. Hartwell. I hope your decision to do nothing does not bring down the whole house of cards around you.

He hasn't made a decision one way or the other..

IF and that's a BIG if we finish 7-6 I would agree with Hartwell keeping Blakeney on another year.

Let's see how this plays out first.

SoFlaTrojan
11-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Oh, I believe Hartwell is (as maybe he was told to do) clearing the air and letting the disgruntled now it's business as usual at Troy. Nothing will change until no one shows up for games and the Trojans go 0-12 for three seasons.

No accountability. Very sad.

thrl595
11-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Oh, I believe Hartwell is (as maybe he was told to do) clearing the air and letting the disgruntled now it's business as usual at Troy. Nothing will change until no one shows up for games and the Trojans go 0-12 for three seasons.

No one showing up to games is very real. If it wasn't for Duke next year, you would probably see low attendance numbers.

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 03:27 PM
He hasn't made a decision one way or the other..

IF and that's a BIG if we finish 7-6 I would agree with Hartwell keeping Blakeney on another year.

Let's see how this plays out first.

Agree 100%. :thumb:

So then I can gather you'll be the first to start the fire Hartwell thread?

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 03:28 PM

Sure, in that story it was mentioned about how Troy could be 8-3 and lost so many very close games last year. What was glaringly not mentioned is that Troy has a laughably bad defense (especially the DBs and safeties) for years now; useless special teams; offense that becomes more predictable every week and has gotten away from the spread that put Troy on the I-A map; shows little fire and heart; no discipline; shows lots of mental errors, including constant, stupid personal fouls; is horribly poor in fundamentals such as tackling; cannot win a must-win game; is being out-recruited every year; and has alienated much of its fan base and, likely, donors.

I will not voice an opinion on what I think should or should not happen, but as far as the comment that we could be 8-3, that is correct. What is also correct is that we just as easily could be 1-10 right now. Other than Savannah High we have barely won our games. OT against UAB, 1 point against USA and that with 7 seconds left, 7 against a pathetic Georgia State, and 6 against WKU with a 4th down stop to do it. I am happy with any win but if the breaks went all our way we would be 8-3, the way they are we are 5-6, and realistically we could have been 1-10 without the breaks we got.

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 03:30 PM
No one showing up to games is very real. If it wasn't for Duke next year, you would probably see low attendance numbers.

Between now and our title years, our attendance hasn't changed. We've had 20,000ish whether we won 3,5 or 9 games. Based on that, I don't think next year would be any reason to assume low(er) attendance numbers.

JonesOxygen
11-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Between now and our title years, our attendance hasn't changed. We've had 20,000ish whether we won 3,5 or 9 games. Based on that, I don't think next year would be any reason to assume low(er) attendance numbers.

There is no way we average 20,000 butts in seats this year. Last year helped because of Miss State and 6 home games. We can advertise what ever, but no chance it's more than 15,000 per game after next friday

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
There is no way we average 20,000 butts in seats this year. Last year helped because of Miss State and 6 home games. We can advertise what ever, but no chance it's more than 15,000 per game after next friday

This next game is an unknown as far as attendance goes. No students, Day after a Thanksgiving and a 1:00 kick off. Realistically anything over 5,000-10,000 Actual will be a blessing

Hemi Man
11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Attendance average by year

2013 20,364 1 game left.

2012 20,952

2011 17,898

2010 18,941 Thanksgiving weekend game 16,004

2009 18,413

2008 19,231

2007 20,479

2006 20,810

2005 19,425

2004 21,228

2003 21,091

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 05:13 PM

2013 20,364 1 game left.

2012 20,952

2011 17,898

2009 18,413

2008 19,231

2007 20,479

2006 20,810

2005 19,425

2004 21,228

2003 21,091

As I suspected, roughly 20K each year. Our attendance according to these numbers are actually better with losing seasons than they were with three of our five SBC title seasons.

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 05:15 PM

That's fair to assume that. But inflating numbers is another story all-together. If we're going to say we had less this year than last, I can see why, but then we'd also have to assume the numbers were wrong for all the years.

Personally, I remember some of our lowest attended games being from our titles years. Arkansas State in 2008 being one of them.

Jericho Johnny
11-21-2013, 05:15 PM
We could very well be 9-2.

:rollinglaugh:

A meaningless statement that. But really guys, what do you expect Hartwell to say? It sounds to me like he's saying exactly what he should be saying.

A realistic scenario might be LB playing out next year and deciding to hang it up. He might get it together and go for another few years. I just can't imagine them firing him, and I especially don't agree with anyone calling for him to be fired after this campaign.

Hemi Man
11-21-2013, 05:24 PM
:rollinglaugh:

A meaningless statement that. But really guys, what do you expect Hartwell to say? It sounds to me like he's saying exactly what he should be saying.

A realistic scenario might be LB playing out next year and deciding to hang it up. He might get it together and go for another few years. I just can't imagine them firing him, and I especially don't agree with anyone calling for him to be fired after this campaign.

I expect some shake ups on the staff.

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 05:29 PM

I don't see that unless it is a directive. LB is to loyal sometimes to staff

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 05:34 PM

If I had to guess, I'd think Dustin Landry gets replaced. I feel like he was pretty decent as a JUCO coach. He didn't do so well at Auburn and our secondary hasn't improved. That could be a talent issue too.

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 05:36 PM
If I had to guess, I'd think Dustin Landry gets replaced. I feel like he was pretty decent as a JUCO coach. He didn't do so well at Auburn and our secondary hasn't improved. That could be a talent issue too.

Doesn't seem to matter who coaches them. Same problems with different coaches

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Doesn't seem to matter who coaches them. Same problems with different coaches

That's just my guess, which is good as anyone's. If there are shakeups on staff, I'm not sure who would be in the chopping block, or set to be reassigned. Ah! Maybe special teams?

StartedasRedwave
11-21-2013, 05:50 PM

2013 20,364 1 game left.

2012 20,952

2011 17,898

2009 18,413

2008 19,231

2007 20,479

2006 20,810

2005 19,425

2004 21,228

2003 21,091

"Announced" average.

StartedasRedwave
11-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Agree 100%. :thumb:

Forget a thread. Email Hartwell. He already has mine. Talked a big game on arrival but now the real "man?" comes out.

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Forget a thread. Email Hartwell. He already has mine. Talked a big game on arrival but now the real "man?" comes out.

There's better ways to spend my time than being an email warrior. It doesn't work, but if it serves a cathartic purpose for you, then I don't see why not. For me it's a wasted endeavor. A trojan warrior once I get on my feet? Now that's an idea I can get behind. :thumb:

newnan trojan
11-21-2013, 07:00 PM
That's just my guess, which is good as anyone's. If there are shakeups on staff, I'm not sure who would be in the chopping block, or set to be reassigned. Ah! Maybe special teams?

Wasden at special teams has needed to go for years... But that's not our biggest problem.

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Wasden at special teams has needed to go for years... But that's not our biggest problem.

That I can assure you doesn't happen as he is Asst. HC also.

StartedasRedwave
11-21-2013, 07:26 PM
There's better ways to spend my time than being an email warrior. It doesn't work, but if it serves a cathartic purpose for you, then I don't see why not. For me it's a wasted endeavor. A trojan warrior once I get on my feet? Now that's an idea I can get behind. :thumb:

If you're happy hiding here and complaining more power to you. I'll go to the source with facts and put my name on it.

Hemi Man
11-21-2013, 07:29 PM
"Announced" average.

Paid attendance. Just like every other school. Like it or not that's how it is.

Hemi Man
11-21-2013, 07:34 PM

If you're happy hiding here and complaining more power to you. I'll go to the source with facts and put my name on it.

13 months in and you are now calling Hartwell out?

I'm pretty sure he has a better grip on the facts than anyone on this board.

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 07:46 PM

And accomplish absolutely nothing.

I don't complain often, and that's because I'm too busy being optimistic about our chances to go 7-6. It will be tough, but it's a lot more fun than leading the email platoon into battle.

We have problems. I'm not ignoring them - as some posters would be quick to assert - I'm just focused on the positive. If you guys don't like my sunshine pumping, then that's ok too :thumb:

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Perhaps but doubtful, but we may get some indication of things at the tailgate.

StartedasRedwave
11-21-2013, 07:57 PM
13 months in and you are now calling Hartwell out?

He's the one not willing to settle for mediocrity and I was happy to point this out. We're a lot closer to 1-10 than the 9-2 he referenced.

trojanbrutha
11-21-2013, 08:23 PM

I disagree because he's the CB coach, not the secondary coach. BP coaches the safeties andi don't see either losing their jobs unless one or the other is a sacrificial lamb...

preacher
11-21-2013, 09:41 PM
This conversation must have been kind of vague.

1. All he said was blakeney has fire to head this program for the present. Fire is not followship. Auburns coach last year said he still had the fire.
2. Hartwell said he would evaluate the program like he does all programs. He evaluated basketball last year.
3. He said there is no need to talk about major changes in the mid of the season.
4. He stated set goals: a) win six b) bowl win
5. He said blakeney is locked and loaded on these goals. So hartwell has clearly set his goals and conveyed them to blakeney.

Ok the vague part is what he will really do if stated goals that he has conveyed to our beloved coach (who has stated he can achieve them = fire) are not realized. So here is my take on what will happen.

1. We lose the last game and fail to achieve bowl eligibility = blakeney retires
2. We get to six wins but no bowl= blakeney has one more year to go out on a bowl win
3. We go to a bowl and lose same as #2
4. We go to a bowl and win = he can go out this year or he gets one more shot next year also. I believe coach would take the bowl win and retire.

Here's to us winning big at home, getting a bowl game, and a bowl win then waiting and watching.

Lego
11-22-2013, 08:23 AM

Hartwell has a "Bobby Bowden" situation. CLB is aged and having to defend whether or not he has "fire" enough to come in and lead a DI program (while making nearly $500k) is not a good sign.

CLB has done a lot for Troy, deserves recognition. He has had to overcome obstacales, while also inflicting a lot of self-inflicting wounds.

One of his best traits, loyalty has also prevented success.

The situation is what it is. If we finish 5-7, the 3rd straight losing season, pressure will up. Even Hartwell knows we can't continue losing seasons plunging further down.

7-6 with a bowl win gets some breathing room.

Regardless, if CLB stays most expect mediocre seasons at best, too aged and tired to make changes. It is not magically going to get better with the same pieces in place. And most are possibility ok with that.

I say coach finishes out his contract next year and retires.

But the parallels to Bobby Bowden are uncanny.

Trojan_Thunder
11-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Knowing when to leave may be the smartest thing anyone can learn. - Burt Bacharach

dgoebel
11-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Knowing when to leave may be the smartest thing anyone can learn. - Burt Bacharach

You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run - Kenny Rogers

Jericho Johnny
11-22-2013, 12:30 PM

That may be true, but I don't see how that sort of statement does anything but preclude criticism of everyone affiliated with the team, since naturally everyone of them has a better access, and thus, grip, of the facts.

At the same time, Hemi, I agree with your sentiment that it's entirely premature to be "calling out" Hartwell. I mean, really guys? After two bad years, what were you expecting in his first season? To be in the top 25 like NIU or Fresno State?

I'm not going to make a prediction about LB and what happens at the end of the year. I have no idea. The AD and Hawkins may have already decided to go another direction, or they might already be committed to LB for another season or beyond. I certainly don't know.

But yes, definitely sort of a Bobby Boweden situation, and once they got rid of him he didn't come back around in public until the NC State game a few weeks back.

dgoebel
11-22-2013, 12:53 PM
That may be true, but I don't see how that sort of statement does anything but preclude criticism of everyone affiliated with the team, since naturally everyone of them has a better access, and thus, grip, of the facts.

At the same time, Hemi, I agree with your sentiment that it's entirely premature to be "calling out" Hartwell. I mean, really guys? After two bad years, what were you expecting in his first season? To be in the top 25 like NIU or Fresno State?

I'm not going to make a prediction about LB and what happens at the end of the year. I have no idea. The AD and Hawkins may have already decided to go another direction, or they might already be committed to LB for another season or beyond. I certainly don't know.

But yes, definitely sort of a Bobby Boweden situation, and once they got rid of him he didn't come back around in public until the NC State game a few weeks back.

Not sure what influence Hawkins has on athletics. A fine chancellor and he has done amazing things for the school, but there are some things in athletics that have been let slide.

Hemi Man
11-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Not sure what influence Hawkins has on athletics. A fine chancellor and he has done amazing things for the school, but there are some things in athletics that have been let slide.

Hawkins has his finger on everything. What has been let slide in athletics?

trojanbrutha
11-22-2013, 02:43 PM

:laughing021:

dgoebel
11-22-2013, 06:19 PM

What I am referring to was the basketball program at Troy. We have the Arena but how many years was it overdue? And Maestri stayed way to long and the womens program was left in the toilet for Rigsby. My opinion, you may or may not agree.

preacher
11-22-2013, 06:31 PM

What I am referring to was the basketball program at Troy. We have the Arena but how many years was it overdue? And Maestri stayed way to long and the womens program was left in the toilet for Rigsby. My opinion, you may or may not agree.

I think that was suppose to be funny ie brutha's response. I'm sure hemi is thinking of football facilities.

Here is what i believe about hartwell. I may be totally wrong. He is a forward thinking guy. He knows that every decision he makes either moves the program forward or backwards. There is no status quo. That's why i believe we will see progress made on the football facility and possibly major changes made if we don't win the next game. I'm not sure Hawkins has ever had an athletic director on the same page as him. He does now. 2 visionaries. Things will move forward.

Jericho Johnny
11-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Hawkins has his finger on everything.

No kidding. I'm amazed anyone thinks differently.

dgoebel
11-22-2013, 08:07 PM
I am sure Hawkins knows of everything. My question was how much influence he voices in athletics. Is he making the decisions or is the AD?

jagd1305
11-22-2013, 09:53 PM
After looking at the attendance numbers posted, this is a tribute to the Trojan fans loyalty to even a now declining program.

Impressive.

GoTroyGo1
11-23-2013, 10:16 AM
After looking at the attendance numbers posted, this is a tribute to the Trojan fans loyalty to even a now declining program.

Impressive.

I think the "Fire" is now smoking embers. LB still has enough to get us to about .500 but nothing more. Still hoping for the best as always.

SoFlaTrojan
11-24-2013, 01:19 PM
"Middle of the season"? Uh, we have one game left!

No. He has done a great job, but if attendance dropped significantly, perception and media coverage stayed negative or become worse, losses continued to mount and general Trojan Warrior and end zone facility donations dropped, he would be gone after a year or three.