PDA

View Full Version : More garbage

JonesOxygen
11-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Stick with me here, I know Alumni Hall is a dump, I know we need nice housing for students. I know we don't have millions just laying around, but $15,000,000.00 could be used on an end zone facility and the ROI would be much better, suite sales would pay for the rest, we would get better players = better record = better attendance. I'm not a fan!

http://www.troy.edu/news/articles/2013/11/construction-of-new-residence-hall-nearing-start.html

newnan trojan
11-19-2013, 05:30 PM
No Alumni Hall needs to be built...This is from the Academic Budget...

The campus cant keep up with growth as it is...Alumni is a EYE SORE! They couldnt pay me to stay in that dump. This is needed.

FYI, theres such little class room space on campus. So bad so they have to use the Stadium press box at the Vet for class rooms.

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Stick with me here, I know Alumni Hall is a dump, I know we need nice housing for students. I know we don't have millions just laying around, but $15,000,000.00 could be used on an end zone facility and the ROI would be much better, suite sales would pay for the rest, we would get better players = better record = better attendance. I'm not a fan!

http://www.troy.edu/news/articles/2013/11/construction-of-new-residence-hall-nearing-start.html

This had been in the works for a while. Don't know how far back. I want to see the end zone project also but I also realize we are a University and this was absolutely needed also. We have to remember that Troy has to attract students also and it was hard to convince a mom and dad to send Junior to Troy when he was going to have to live in Slumni. They were also getting crime problems there . In a perfect world we would be building both the new dorm and the end zone building, but Troy has a serious housing problem.

JonesOxygen
11-19-2013, 05:39 PM
This had been in the works for a while. Don't know how far back. I want to see the end zone project also but I also realize we are a University and this was absolutely needed also. We have to remember that Troy has to attract students also and it was hard to convince a mom and dad to send Junior to Troy when he was going to have to live in Slumni. They were also getting crime problems there . In a perfect world we would be building both the new dorm and the end zone building, but Troy has a serious housing problem.

We have the Newman Center (opened this year) Trojan Village (opened a few years ago) all the rest were recently renovated and more apartments than we can fill in this city!

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 05:47 PM
We have the Newman Center (opened this year) Trojan Village (opened a few years ago) all the rest were recently renovated and more apartments than we can fill in this city!

All freshmen have to live on campus. Hamil and Gardner are pretty bad also. Not every student can afford an apartment and some of them are a little seedy. And I believe this is budgeted separate than athletics.

Jericho Johnny
11-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Are you kidding? Did you ever live in Alumni? I lived there about a decade ago, and there was talk about how badly a change was needed even then.

At the end of the day, we can't lose sight of the fact that the university's first duty is to the students. As others have said, this is badly needed.

One might argue that getting the campus living up to the point that there are no unlivable dorms (and no students staring down the barrel of a year at Alumni) could potentially increase attendance, and a growing school also helps our athletic programs.

I feel like someone else with a better grasp on the school's financials is going to come along and explain to us why the construction of this dorm isn't coming from the same funding source as our endzone facility.

Jericho Johnny
11-19-2013, 05:54 PM
All freshmen have to live on campus. Hamil and Gardner are pretty bad also. Not every student can afford an apartment and some of them are a little seedy. And I believe this is budgeted separate than athletics.

That's very true. And to qualify my last statement, I should say no unlivable dorms for males.

And, by the way, I think the rule requiring all freshman to live on campus is a good one. Granted, I didn't particularly appreciate it at the time, but looking back there's quite a few good justifications for it. To the best of my knowledge, FSU doesn't have such a policy (and I'm not even sure FAMU has on-campus residences) but that's probably more to do with the sheer impracticality given how insanely large the student population in Tallahassee is between 3 major institutions of higher educations. Heck, the local community college is bigger than Main Campus both in population and area. It's pretty nice to, but I remain firm in my belief, irrational or not, that Troy University has one of the prettiest campuses in the Southeast.

Lego
11-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Are you kidding? Did you ever live in Alumni? I lived there about a decade ago, and there was talk about how badly a change was needed even then.

At the end of the day, we can't lose sight of the fact that the university's first duty is to the students. As others have said, this is badly needed.

One might argue that getting the campus living up to the point that there are no unlivable dorms (and no students staring down the barrel of a year at Alumni) could potentially increase attendance, and a growing school also helps our athletic programs.

I feel like someone else with a better grasp on the school's financials is going to come along and explain to us why the construction of this dorm isn't coming from the same funding source as our endzone facility.

Agree. It only took one quarter for me in Slumni and I was out. It was not fit way back then. Terrible. Has to go.

GoTroyGo1
11-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Agree. It only took one quarter for me in Slumni and I was out. It was not fit way back then. Terrible. Has to go.

I survived living there from 89-92 somehow. It was almost as bad as berthing on a Navy ship. Should be demolished IMO . Do the football players still have to live there? They lived on the 4th floor back in the day.

newnan trojan
11-19-2013, 06:58 PM
I survived living there from 89-92 somehow. It was almost as bad as berthing on a Navy ship. Should be demolished IMO . Do the football players still have to live there? They lived on the 4th floor back in the day.

Damn. You know that place is bad when it was bad back in 89 lol.:rollinglaugh:

Chrono124
11-19-2013, 07:05 PM
No Alumni Hall needs to be built...This is from the Academic Budget...

The campus cant keep up with growth as it is...Alumni is a EYE SORE! They couldnt pay me to stay in that dump. This is needed.

FYI, theres such little class room space on campus. So bad so they have to use the Stadium press box at the Vet for class rooms.

ATL the "classrooms" that they have at the vet are only for certain degrees and ppl, like student athletes. Don't kid yourself, there is plenty of classroom space to go around. With the improvements to Bibb Graves and Hawkins hall, there is enough room in those two buildings to fill that need. If push comes to shove they could schedule better and have alot more classes in there. Alumni is an eyesore on campus and thank god I never had to live on campus. Next thing they need to upgrade is the nursing building that has been neglected.

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 08:07 PM

No more 4th floor A wing for football. They stay in Trojan Village, Clements, and off campus

pkf4troy
11-19-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm with Jones on this one. Just another "burn" to the ole ball coach. Those that think they have inside information really doesnt see the writing on the wall.

Doug4Troy
11-19-2013, 08:50 PM
No problem at all with non-athletic campus improvements. Different "pots" of money.

Hemi Man
11-19-2013, 10:22 PM
No problem at all with non-athletic campus improvements. Different "pots" of money.

Unfortunately both pots are filled, for the most part, by the same people. You run the risk of fatiguing donors at some point.

Doug4Troy
11-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Unfortunately both pots are filled, for the most part, by the same people. You run the risk of fatiguing donors at some point.

Maybe not totally true. I have talked with folks who give to one or the other. Some went to Troy and send a few dollars to Troy academics, some send to athletics. I suspect more support academics generally... I could be wrong.

Need to have growth in each to grow overall. A rising tide raises all boats.

Trojan by Birth
11-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Alumni hall needs to go. I might have PTSD from that place.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 07:15 AM
I am glad that Hawkins is making improvements to the school and academics. We could be like UF here, multi million dollar athletic facilities, huge athletic budgets, and a crumbling infrastructure on campus. The buildings are getting old and falling apart, sewer system is ancient, wiring problems in some buildings, and the school doesn't have enough to fix them.

srbtrojan
11-20-2013, 07:27 AM
At least when they go to tear it down they won't have to pay a special contractor to remove the asbestos tile floors. Oh...that's because they sent me and several other college kids in there to tear them out in 1995. We were well equipped with flat blade scraper and a wheelbarrow.

Mr.E_205_Legion
11-20-2013, 12:16 PM
THINK OF THIS AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO BUILD THE FAN BASE!

Research continues to show that students who live on campus for at least the first year of their collegiate career transition more easily to campus life, are retained at higher rates than students who live off-campus, graduate faster, are more involved in co-curricular activities and are more connected to the university community.

More LIVABLE housing on campus = More involvement in CAMPUS activities = Potential to make LIFE LONG TROJAN FANS

Spiritual_Trojan
11-20-2013, 12:18 PM
A few questions on the topic.

1. Which building is older?

2. Which building has had more renovations?

3. Which building directly affects the largest segment of students?

4. Is Troy a sports program with a school or a school with a sports program?

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 12:58 PM
A few questions on the topic.

1. Which building is older?

2. Which building has had more renovations?

3. Which building directly affects the largest segment of students?

4. Is Troy a sports program with a school or a school with a sports program?

1) Alumni
2) Davis Field House
3) Alumni
4) College Athletics not Athletics College.

I want to win in sports as badly as anyone, but the most important thing is the quality of the education our students receive. Athletics is just a small part of life, the degree one earns last a lifetime

Lego
11-20-2013, 01:04 PM
1) Alumni
2) Davis Field House
3) Alumni
4) College Athletics not Athletics College.

I want to win in sports as badly as anyone, but the most important thing is the quality of the education our students receive. Athletics is just a small part of life, the degree one earns last a lifetime

:signs011: Enough said.

newnan trojan
11-20-2013, 01:21 PM
This is dumb.

Why is no one complaining about the band getting a new building? Or the amphitheater?

There's always construction going on... By the time they finish the band room they will start to tear down Alumni for the new building. And after they finish Alumni they will probably start on something else.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 02:09 PM
This is dumb.

Why is no one complaining about the band getting a new building? Or the amphitheater?

There's always construction going on... By the time they finish the band room they will start to tear down Alumni for the new building. And after they finish Alumni they will probably start on something else.

They are also 3-6 months behind schedule on the band building. They were supposed to be in it in Aug, then Oct, not sure when now :confused013:

SoFlaTrojan
11-20-2013, 02:15 PM
The replacement of Alumni Hall is a necessity. I believe it will help recruit more students to Troy and probably be home to many athletes.

I thought it would hold more people, though.

BTW, it was a hell hole when I, very briefly, lived there in 1978!

If Troy charges anywhere near what they charge fraternity members to stay in their houses, the cost of the new Alumni will be paid off quickly.

thrl595
11-20-2013, 02:19 PM
This is dumb.

No offense, I think the majority of the board doesn't care about the band.

SoFlaTrojan
11-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I never had anything to do with the band, but it was and still is one of the greatest faces of Troy. Plus, I really enjoy its performances.

I would bet students would vote to cut a major sport (not football) before the band.

thrl595
11-20-2013, 02:22 PM
I never had anything to do with the band, but it was and still is one of the greatest faces of Troy. Plus, I really enjoy its performances.

I would bet students would vote to cut a major sport (not football) before the band.

Hmm, I'd have to call bs on that one. :bounce012:

trojanbrutha
11-20-2013, 02:52 PM

Why would you say that? They even have their own forum...:confused013:

newnan trojan
11-20-2013, 02:52 PM

You don't know too much about the board then

The band is one of the biggest faces of Troy university.

I was never in the SOTS but was in band in HS up here in Atlanta. The only thing I knew about Troy was the band.

I know of 4 other posters on this board that DO care about the band. It's one of the largest majors at the university.

TroyFootball05
11-20-2013, 03:03 PM

I would say you're probably incorrect about that. Troy has a very unique situation in that regard.

TroyFootball05
11-20-2013, 03:04 PM
You don't know too much about the board then

The band is one of the biggest faces of Troy university.

I was never in the SOTS but was in band in HS up here in Atlanta. The only thing I knew about Troy was the band.

I know of 4 other posters on this board that DO care about the band. It's one of the largest majors at the university.

Were you in the band in HS?

thrl595
11-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Yep, the program is in the crapper.

As far as the band goes, I have no hard feelings but I don't think a lot of kids outside of being nerds are going to say, "hey, Troys got a great band, I should go there."

Hartwell - if you build it, they will come!

newnan trojan
11-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Were you in the band in HS?

Yes, East Coweta who makes finals at BOA a good bit. Wish I did it in College but I didn't.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 03:35 PM

Imagine Trojan Walk with no band, pre-game with no band, no fight song after a score, no fight song when we win, no fanfare being played. I think the majority of Troy fans care a great deal about the band.

newnan trojan
11-20-2013, 03:35 PM

As far as the band goes, I have no hard feelings but I don't think a lot of kids outside of being nerds are going to say, "hey, Troys got a great band, I should go there."

No, but Troy has a nationally recognized band program... Usually when you go to away football games, you will hear "hey did y'all bring your band, they are so good"

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 03:36 PM

So my daughter is a nerd, is that what you are saying? The band was one of the biggest reasons she chose Troy, that along with a huge academic scholarship. If you think she is a nerd, come by and tell me to my face.

Hemi Man
11-20-2013, 03:39 PM
So my daughter is a nerd, is that what you are saying? The band was one of the biggest reasons she chose Troy, that along witha huge academic scholarship. If you think she is a nerd, come by and tell me to my face.

If players are fair game to be called thugs and clowns then band members can't be above that rule on GTT.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 03:43 PM
If players are fair game to be called thugs and clowns then band members can't be above that rule on GTT.

Fair enough, but if she did something to earn the name then so be it, but no one here could even tell who my daughter is on the field.

newnan trojan
11-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Fair enough, but if she did something to earn the name then so be it, but no one here could even tell who my daughter is on the field.

Their show this year is great. One of my all time favorites ever.

preacher
11-20-2013, 03:45 PM
This is pitiful! This whole conversation sound like middle school.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Sorry, but I get ticked at people thinking all band kids are nerds, dorks, and outcasts. And I am saying that from being a jock. I can tell you the SOTS is a very dedicated group that works their tail off the whole season for a $300 scholarship plus they pay for their helmet, uniform rental, shoes, dry cleaning and more that costs more than the $300 they get. They do it for the love of music and performing. Most of these kids are the nicest young people you will meet.

Hemi Man
11-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Most certainly no disrespect to your daughter. I wouldn't call her or any other member of the band any names. However, you get my point now.

Most people on here couldn't pick out 95% of our players, in any sport without their names and numbers displayed. Yet they feel it's ok to describe them with derogatory terms based on their mistakes or shortcomings in an athletic event.

Hemi Man
11-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Sorry, but I get ticked at people thinking all band kids are nerds, dorks, and outcasts. And I am saying that from being a jock. I can tell you the SOTS is a very dedicated group that works their tail off the whole season for a $300 scholarship plus they pay for their helmet, uniform rental, shoes, dry cleaning and more that costs more than the $300 they get. They do it for the love of music and performing. Most of these kids are the nicest young people you will meet.

So are most of our athletes. See now you are defending the band in the same manner as I defend our players.

trojanbrutha
11-20-2013, 03:55 PM

It's a common generalization that shouldn't be taken personally...after all, it's a message board...

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Most certainly no disrespect to your daughter. I wouldn't call her or any other member of the band any names. However, you get my point now.

Most people on here couldn't pick out 95% of our players, in any sport without their names and numbers displayed. Yet they feel it's ok to describe them with derogatory terms based on their mistakes or shortcomings in an athletic event.

I understand that and I dont have a problem with it if someone does something to earn that label. If my daughter dressed, walked, talked, and acted like a nerd...well then if someone said she was a nerd...well then, she would be.

I get what you are saying. If someone said our team was a bunch of thugs, that is wrong. But if a player got arrested for pulling a gun on someone...then, yes, he is a thug. One is not a thug on the field. Do we do some stupid things to get flags? yes. Are the kids thugs? NO that I agree on.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 03:58 PM
It's a common generalization that shouldn't be taken personally...after all, it's a message board...

Then why the uproar over calling players clowns??

preacher
11-20-2013, 03:58 PM

Ignorance is bliss. Not all band kid are nerds or outcast. Just like all jocks aren't cool. I did both. Couldn't play college ball. Marched in the Sound and long bus rides with hot Majorettes and dance girls was much more fun than any of my days in high school sports. Came from a musical family and loved sports. Played as long as I could but music has taken me much further.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 03:59 PM
So are most of our athletes. See now you are defending the band in the same manner as I defend our players.

I agree on our athletes. They were respectful and polite at Fan Day and I enjoyed talking to them.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Ignorance is bliss. Not all band kid are nerds or outcast. Just like all jocks aren't cool. I did both. Couldn't play college ball. Marched in the Sound and long bus rides with hot Majorettes and dance girls was much more fun than any of my days in high school sports. Came from a musical family and loved sports. Played as long as I could but music has taken me much further.

You mean not all of us jocks were cool? :rollinglaugh: Seriously, I understand what you were saying. :thumb:

preacher
11-20-2013, 04:03 PM
You mean not all of us jocks were cool? :rollinglaugh: Seriously, I understand what you were saying. :thumb:

Yes :laughing021:

trojanbrutha
11-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Then why the uproar over calling players clowns??

Because generalizations are wrong? :confused013:

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 04:13 PM
:
Because generalizations are wrong? :confused013:

Amen!!! :eatdrink004:

RDA Trojan
11-20-2013, 04:47 PM
I was about to make a meager attempt at cross-thread topic, and say the band's laundry should match the team's laundry, then I read:

Maybe Adidas could step up and provide funding for band uniforms. The only thing I'd leave alone are the helmets. Those are unique, and awesome. But a white/cardinal/black top and either black or white pants (ditch cardinal pants on the FB uni's and on the band) would be pretty cool.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 04:53 PM
I was about to make a meager attempt at cross-thread topic, and say the band's laundry should match the team's laundry, then I read:

Maybe Adidas could step up and provide funding for band uniforms. The only thing I'd leave alone are the helmets. Those are unique, and awesome. But a white/cardinal/black top and either black or white pants (ditch cardinal pants on the FB uni's and on the band) would be pretty cool.

Anything that helps Dad's wallet I am for :thumb:

thrl595
11-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Good point.:thumb:

thrl595
11-20-2013, 05:05 PM

And this one time at band camp...

newnan trojan
11-20-2013, 05:09 PM
And this one time at band camp...

Congrats! You win the award of lack of originality.

thrl595
11-20-2013, 08:33 PM

Right, you can't get good iniforms for the football team but great band uniforms, a must. :sleep010:

Doug4Troy
11-20-2013, 08:42 PM

Most posters on here don't know about your knowledge of the players, their families, and their stories. You don't see them as an athlete in a uniform that needs to perform well so your team can win... you see them AS THE TEAM.

Despite what Lego might think, I don't always agree with you on various things, but I know exactly where your heart is even if I sometimes question where your brain is... especially when it comes to music and beer.

Doug4Troy
11-20-2013, 08:47 PM

Sounds about right. Based on stats, 12 & 13 year old kids are more brutal on social media than any other age group!

LAZebra
11-20-2013, 08:56 PM
I take being called a nerd as a compliment. Have not been in the band since junior high, lettered in 5 sports in high school, was not good enough an athlete to play anything in college, but took pride in being a science nerd. It takes all kinds of folks to make Troy the special place that it is. I root just as hard for the SOTS as I do for our athletic teams. I also enjoy hearing about the academic success of any Trojan! They are all important to me. We are Trojans one and all!

Hemi Man
11-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Most posters on here don't know about your knowledge of the players, their families, and their stories. You don't see them as an athlete in a uniform that needs to perform well so your team can win... you see them AS THE TEAM.

Despite what Lego might think, I don't always agree with you on various things, but I know exactly where your heart is even if I sometimes question where your brain is... especially when it comes to music and beer.

Thank you. I think. Not really sure. I'm pretty darned cultured when it comes to beer and music.

Doug4Troy
11-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Thank you. I think. Not really sure. I'm pretty darned cultured when it comes to beer and music.

Totally meant as a compliment... I think it is great that someone suffering with musical illiteracy can otherwise function normally. :thumb:

Hemi Man
11-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Totally meant as a compliment... I think it is great that someone suffering with musical illiteracy can otherwise function normally. :thumb:

Excuse me, can you turn down the Nickleback and Bjork so I can hear you?

Lego
11-20-2013, 10:34 PM

Get a room you two, already.

(I kid because I care, well I know y'all love my beloved Trojans so..)

Doug4Troy
11-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Get a room you two, already.

(I kid because I care, well I know y'all love my beloved Trojans so..)

As long as they win.

Jericho Johnny
11-20-2013, 11:23 PM
This thread has meandered a good bit, so...

The Sound of the South is definitely one of the best things at Troy University. One of the only bands I can compare them to is FSU's, and while I am growing fonder of the Marching Chiefs each season, I still don't think they hold a candle to SOTS. Funny thing is, a lot of people unaffiliated with the university have told me, "Y'all's band is pretty good, but hey need to lose those silly helmets." I happen to like them, they are distinctive! The Marching Band is such a key piece of the pageantry that makes a college football game so much fun. When I was in the stadium for Miami @ FSU a few weeks back, there were some visitors from Asia in the row in front of me. It looked like it was their first game. Their seat-neighbors even had to remind them to take their hats off for the anthem. Anyway, watching them watch the game made me appreciate the whole experience a bit more. Fireworks. Screaming and clapping. Screaming a little bit louder on third down. Stomping on the bleachers to make noise. The wave (*shudder*). ESPN song. Airplane flyovers (well, once upon a time). Halftime shows. Marching Bands. And of course the game itself. Not to mention each university's own special little traditions. The whole experience of college football would just be so watered down without the band.

And I say that as someone who didn't pursue band beyond junior high. You couldn't have paid me enough to be in SOTS. They work very hard, very late, and sacrifice a lot for very little appreciation. If I had felt the innate joy of playing in the brass, I would have continued to pursue it for my own edification, but my heart just wasn't in it. Of course, speaking of those "hot majorettes" preacher was talking about, as neither jock nor band nerd, I nevertheless sweet-talked one into marrying me. :thumb:

P.S. This + the Jameis Winston thread lead me to believe that the admin is on vacation. It's like the Wild West in here as this whole thing is both off-topic to the OP and off-topic to the forum. Thumbs up.

BeachTrojan
11-20-2013, 11:54 PM
School Band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CTDEteVMIA

RDA Trojan
11-21-2013, 09:57 AM
This thread has meandered a good bit, so...

The Sound of the South is definitely one of the best things at Troy University. One of the only bands I can compare them to is FSU's, and while I am growing fonder of the Marching Chiefs each season, I still don't think they hold a candle to SOTS. Funny thing is, a lot of people unaffiliated with the university have told me, "Y'all's band is pretty good, but hey need to lose those silly helmets." I happen to like them, they are distinctive! The Marching Band is such a key piece of the pageantry that makes a college football game so much fun. When I was in the stadium for Miami @ FSU a few weeks back, there were some visitors from Asia in the row in front of me. It looked like it was their first game. Their seat-neighbors even had to remind them to take their hats off for the anthem. Anyway, watching them watch the game made me appreciate the whole experience a bit more. Fireworks. Screaming and clapping. Screaming a little bit louder on third down. Stomping on the bleachers to make noise. The wave (*shudder*). ESPN song. Airplane flyovers (well, once upon a time). Halftime shows. Marching Bands. And of course the game itself. Not to mention each university's own special little traditions. The whole experience of college football would just be so watered down without the band.

And I say that as someone who didn't pursue band beyond junior high. You couldn't have paid me enough to be in SOTS. They work very hard, very late, and sacrifice a lot for very little appreciation. If I had felt the innate joy of playing in the brass, I would have continued to pursue it for my own edification, but my heart just wasn't in it. Of course, speaking of those "hot majorettes" preacher was talking about, as neither jock nor band nerd, I nevertheless sweet-talked one into marrying me. :thumb:

P.S. This + the Jameis Winston thread lead me to believe that the admin is on vacation. It's like the Wild West in here as this whole thing is both off-topic to the OP and off-topic to the forum. Thumbs up.

http://cdn.overclock.net/8/87/357x296px-LL-877fd27f_the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

trojanblood
11-21-2013, 11:12 AM

I defend both! As alumni of the band and friend to some of the current players that I talk to just about everyday, I support both. Both are important to the university and always will be. BTW, how did this thread get so off topic. WE need alumni to be torn down and rebuilt. We need the housing on campus. I am glad and every alumni I have spoken to about this situation, they are ecstatic about this!

thrl595
11-21-2013, 11:25 AM
I ask the question which makes more money for the university, athletics or band? What brings in more students? Outside of 5 people on this board, what does the majority of the population care about?

preacher
11-21-2013, 11:29 AM
I ask the question which makes more money for the university, athletics or band? What brings in more students? Outside of 5 people on this board, what does the majority of the population care about?

You might be surprised how close it is.

newnan trojan
11-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Yup.

If you knew all the events and camps the band does each year you might change your answer.

FYI there's more than 5 on this board that really cares about the band... I know if 4 people on this board as personal friends that are close to the program... There's more on here I'm very sure of it.

thrl595
11-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Yea, right.:signs019:

Jericho Johnny
11-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Here's an example: FSU has an alumni band. I was there when they played at homecoming. They have a lights out male alumni majorette who steals the show every year, and can twirl four fire batons at the same time.

Even with all that coolness, it's just one part of the homecoming events. Troy University, on the other hand, actually devotes a whole game every year to these activities and bringing in the high school kids (a great recruiting tool): Band Day.

SOTS is just an unusually big deal, and god good reason. They're awesome. Just wish they'd play towards the cheap seats more often, but that's a complaint everywhere. You get what you pay for I guess.

thrl595
11-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Here's an example: FSU has an alumni band. I was there when they played at homecoming. They have a lights out male alumni majorette who steals the show every year, and can twirl four fire batons at the same time.

Even with all that coolness, it's just one part of the homecoming events. Troy University, on the other hand, actually devotes a whole game every year to these activities and bringing in the high school kids (a great recruiting tool): Band Day.

SOTS is just an unusually big deal, and god good reason. They're awesome. Just wish they'd play towards the cheap seats more often, but that's a complaint everywhere. You get what you pay for I guess.

Ok. :signs017:

redwaver
11-21-2013, 12:55 PM

My guess is FSU doesn't do band day events for high school bands because they have folks who buy those seats and really come and sit in them....call game!

Troytrojan2009
11-21-2013, 01:14 PM

Yes I think you would be surprised. As a former member of the SOTS for 3 years, I know how much recruiting we did. The BYE weeks weren't BYE weeks for the band. They are usually spent at some high school marching festival doing exhibitions to recruit. The away games the band doesn't go to, well we were at marching festivals. I know one year on the way to a road game, we even stopped at a high school football game on Friday night (I think Daphne) to play at halftime. The band is the reason i went to Troy.

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Ok. :signs017:

No matter what, you're just being an ass. Why does this conversation even exist? Why does any of this matter? The band is exactly what it is and has a place at Troy. Anything else is just fluff. Most of us love the band on this board. If you don't, fine, you don't have to be an ass about it though.

Cane gone Trojan
11-21-2013, 01:28 PM

I have never played in a band, but I love and value the SOTS....they are AWESOME....Troy football is definitely not the same without the SOTS there...Troy football and the SOTS go hand in hand to make the whole game day atmosphere fun to be a part of...talking about FSU...I was there for the Troy vs FSU game and I can tell you this ,the FSU fans know who Troy football is and they sure as heck know who the SOTS are.

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 01:35 PM
I have never played in a band, but I love and value the SOTS....they are AWESOME....Troy football is definitely not the same without the SOTS there...Troy football and the SOTS go hand in hand to make the whole game day atmosphere fun to be a part of...talking about FSU...I was there for the Troy vs FSU game and I can tell you this ,the FSU fans know who Troy football is and they sure as heck know who the SOTS are.

My daughter's HS band director went to FSU. She knew exactly who the SOTS was when she told her she was going to Troy.

Hemi Man
11-21-2013, 01:40 PM
My guess is FSU doesn't do band day events for high school bands because they have folks who buy those seats and really come and sit in them....call game!

That's a very valid point.

newnan trojan
11-21-2013, 01:57 PM
No matter what, you're just being an ass. Why does this conversation even exist? Why does any of this matter? The band is exactly what it is and has a place at Troy. Anything else is just fluff. Most of us love the band on this board. If you don't, fine, you don't have to be an ass about it though.

Yup...

Although I'm not a alumni of Troy, I give time and money to the school.

If it was not for the SOTS I would NOT be supporting Troy today I guarantee you. The reason for the connections I do have to Troy is because of that band.

thrl595
11-21-2013, 02:57 PM

How am I being an "ass"? By not agreeing with you or a couple of people on this board? I feel like the band is not as important as the athletics program because athletics is a much bigger revenue generator.

You my friend are the ass by name calling and criticizing someone who has a different opinion or outlook. :thumb:

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 03:33 PM
How am I being an "ass"? By not agreeing with you or a couple of people on this board? I feel like the band is not as important as the athletics program because athletics is a much bigger revenue generator.

You my friend are the ass by name calling and criticizing someone who has a different opinion or outlook. :thumb:

I'll say it again, its not your opinion that bothers me. How you feel about the band is your business. You aren't being an ass by what you say, but rather how you say it and act toward the people who do support the band. If you don't get that then you will never understand what it truly means to have an opinion.

"I feel like the band is not as important as the athletics program because athletics is a much bigger revenue generator."

You are absolutely correct! Some disagree, and that's fine! That's what an opinion is, my friend. Now if you have anymore assumptions to make about me or my comments, please forward them to my inbox. Thanks!

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Football generates revenue, as does basketball (more so at other schools) and to a lesser degree, baseball. All the other sports are non-revenue producing sports that football may or may not help fund. Also the revenue brought in by football May or may not cover the expenses ( a lot depends on what we get paid in OOC games each year). I am not sure that Troy turns a profit on football, it might, I just don't know.

thrl595
11-21-2013, 03:54 PM
I'll say it again, its not your opinion that bothers me. How you feel about the band is your business. You aren't being an ass by what you say, but rather how you say it and act toward the people who do support the band. If you don't get that then you will never understand what it truly means to have an opinion.

"I feel like the band is not as important as the athletics program because athletics is a much bigger revenue generator."

You are absolutely correct! Some disagree, and that's fine! That's what an opinion is, my friend. Now if you have anymore assumptions to make about me or my comments, please forward them to my inbox. Thanks!

I never called anybody who supported the band an ass or any other name. As far as I'm concerned, you should be reprimanded for calling me or anyone else on this board an ass.

TroyFootball05
11-21-2013, 04:17 PM
I never called anybody who supported the band an ass or any other name. As far as I'm concerned, you should be reprimanded for calling me or anyone else on this board an ass.

Fair enough. Not argument there. My apologies.

That said, there is no point to any of the band vs football argument. Why you fight so hard to force the issue that no one cares about the band is beyond me. Let it die. The band has it's place. The football team is the overall draw for saturday, with the band being a piece of that, but not the main course so to speak. Can we all agree on that?

jgrimsley
11-23-2013, 12:43 AM
I will say that I hope the new Alumni is still looking (somewhat) good when my son is a freshman on campus in 7 years, following in his mom's and dad's footsteps in the Sound.

Goodnight to all.

Doug4Troy
11-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Then, unlike the FSU band, the SOTS is responsible for a portion of the football attendance each year.

TrojanFanatic
11-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Then, unlike the FSU band, the SOTS is responsible for a portion of the football attendance each year.

SOTS do something good? There's no way

flockofoscars
11-23-2013, 02:12 PM
ATL the "classrooms" that they have at the vet are only for certain degrees and ppl, like student athletes. Don't kid yourself, there is plenty of classroom space to go around. With the improvements to Bibb Graves and Hawkins hall, there is enough room in those two buildings to fill that need. If push comes to shove they could schedule better and have alot more classes in there. Alumni is an eyesore on campus and thank god I never had to live on campus. Next thing they need to upgrade is the nursing building that has been neglected.

You are so wise!!! We need a new nursing building SOOOO bad lol this is coming from a nurse major. We have one of the best RN and BSN programs in the state (the highest hiring rate) so why do we learn in that dump? :signs029: