PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting efforts

newnan trojan
11-18-2013, 11:38 PM
I read were Troy's recruiting class so far ranks 120 out of 125 FBS programs and DEAD LAST in the SBC..

Could this be because Troy knows this is Larry's last year and they want the new coach to recruit?

http://troy.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Commits

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footba...tion=login

Trojan by Birth
11-18-2013, 11:39 PM
We are off to a slow start but I wouldn't call the race yet.

trojanbrutha
11-18-2013, 11:49 PM
I read were Troy's recruiting class so far ranks 120 out of 125 FBS programs and DEAD LAST in the SBC..

Could this be because Troy knows this is Larry's last year and they want the new coach to recruit?

If I were able to prescribe medication, you'd be my 1st bi-polar patient! :signs003:

newnan trojan
11-18-2013, 11:52 PM
If I were able to prescribe medication, you'd be my 1st bi-polar patient! :signs003:

I already take meds for that....

But you might need to put your glasses on.:confused013:

trojanbrutha
11-19-2013, 12:03 AM
I already take meds for that....

But you might need to put your glasses on.:confused013:

Dude, I've been looking for my glasses since Sunday...you're psychic too!?!

newnan trojan
11-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Dude, I've been looking for my glasses since Sunday...you're psychic too!?!

Naw, just tired tonight lol

Hemi Man
11-19-2013, 07:21 AM

I do not follow the logic of this post.

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 07:25 AM
I understand your thought. What he is asking is "if" LB knows he is resigning and "if" the staff knows this and "if" they know they are gone..."could" that be the reason we are not recruiting right now. 1 commit means we aren't recruiting no matter how you look at it, either not trying or not having success.

Pcbtrojan
11-19-2013, 07:28 AM
A lot of programs hold their recruiting info close to the vest this time of year.

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 07:35 AM
A lot of programs hold their recruiting info close to the vest this time of year.

Yes, but we didn't last year.

trojanbrutha
11-19-2013, 07:57 AM

Last season was an anomaly. Shaq Beverly was the only listed commit a couple years ago, heading into the new year. He was a Dec. grad from HS. There are issues to be addressed, certainly, but to continue to manufacture problems is not helping the team we all are so passionate about.

Lego
11-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Last season was an anomaly. Shaq Beverly was the only listed commit a couple years ago, heading into the new year. He was a Dec. grad from HS. There are issues to be addressed, certainly, but to continue to manufacture problems is not helping the team we all are so passionate about.

There are claims that this message has no effect on the team/program so why does it matter if he wants to manufacture problems, it has no effect right ? and he might enjoy it, plus it gives you something to respond to.

Regardless, recruiting should be judged on signing day.

Hemi Man
11-19-2013, 08:10 AM

There were a few that weren't made public last year, but I see your point. Don't expect a full class this year. Once the grey shirts are accounted for I expect a pretty small number.

trojanbrutha
11-19-2013, 08:11 AM
There are claims that this message has no effect on the team/program so why does it matter if he wants to manufacture problems, it has no effect right ? and he might enjoy it, plus it gives you something to respond to.

Regardless, recruiting should be judged on signing day.

When I want to take you seriously at what you state...this is what I get...then again, you and seriously never crossed paths. :thumb:

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 08:13 AM

No one is manufacturing a problem, we were addressing Rivals having us listed as 120th out of 124 and dead last in our conference. We have 1 commit who is a WR which is not a need going into 2014 and Texas St. Has 23 commits. If this doesn't concern you, great, it does concern others on here that also are passionate about Troy.

3 years of a struggling team, some recruiting news at least makes the fans and supporters think that something is being done..jmo

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 08:19 AM
There were a few that weren't made public last year, but I see your point. Don't expect a full class this year. Once the grey shirts are accounted for I expect a pretty small number.

As war as the grey shirting goes, do other schools use it to the extent we do and what are the advantages to it? I know they are not allowed to practice so I was wondering what the advantage is?

trojanbrutha
11-19-2013, 08:22 AM
No one is manufacturing a problem, we were addressing Rivals having us listed as 120th out of 124 and dead last in our conference. We have 1 commit who is a WR which is not a need going into 2014 and Texas St. Has 23 commits. If this doesn't concern you, great, it does concern others on here that also are passionate about Troy.

3 years of a struggling team, some recruiting news at least makes the fans and supporters think that something is being done..jmo

Since some people love to throw stuff on the football forum because it convenient...

71 Targets: http://troy.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Targets

70 Offers: http://troy.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Offers

Talk amongst yourselves :thumb:

Hemi Man
11-19-2013, 08:29 AM
As war as the grey shirting goes, do other schools use it to the extent we do and what are the advantages to it? I know they are not allowed to practice so I was wondering what the advantage is?

Benefits would be if you don't have room for them or they aren't necessarily needed or ready at the time. Maybe recovering from an injury. Although they can't practice or workout with the team until they are full time in January. Players signed and grey shirted in 2013 will count towards the 2014
signing class. Alabama has been given a lot of attention for grey shirting. I don't think it's really public knowledge at most schools though.

Cane gone Trojan
11-19-2013, 10:56 AM

Dgoebel

Can football players lose their scholarships based on poor performance or not progressing or getting better at Troy?

preacher
11-19-2013, 11:02 AM

With all due respect Brutha a few fans saying something doesn't seem right here is not hurting this program nearly as much as the poor product the coaches are putting on the field.

trojanbrutha
11-19-2013, 11:12 AM
With all due respect Brutha a few fans saying something doesn't seem right here is not hurting this program nearly as much as the poor product the coaches are putting on the field.

Rev, don't be so naive as to think that some players have family that visit this board during and after the recruiting process...It may or may not have that big of an impact, but I'm sure they know the board isn't all-encompassing, so far as, the fanbase goes...just a subset, thereof.

preacher
11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Rev, don't be so naive as to think that some players have family that visit this board during and after the recruiting process...It may or may not have that big of an impact, but I'm sure they know the board isn't all-encompassing, so far as, the fanbase goes...just a subset, thereof.

I'm sure families do look here. I hope they know that this is just a few fans sharing very passionate opinions. Speaking as someone who has known many families who have been recruited by Troy the reason their child went to Troy was because they had a chance to play soon and an opportunity to win. Most are comforted that we have a passionate fan base that will not let the program slip into the cellar of the Sunbelt.

Cane gone Trojan
11-19-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm sure families do look here. I hope they know that this is just a [U]few[U] fans sharing very passionate opinions. Speaking as someone who has known many families who have been recruited by Troy the reason their child went to Troy was because they had a chance to play soon and an opportunity to win. Most are comforted that we have a passionate fan base that will not let the program slip into the cellar of the Sunbelt.

I would think that if a recruit or a family member were to actually look at this site that they would be happy to know that there really are fans that exist that are passionate about Troy Trojan Athletics.

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Dgoebel

Can football players lose their scholarships based on poor performance or not progressing or getting better at Troy?

Yes they can, but it is up to the coach. All athletic scholarships are 1 year renewal. After Spring practice ( at least when I played), the head coach met with you and let you know if you were keeping the same or getting more. Now we were D11 so very few were on full ride. I know Oklahoma State is bad about releasing players where as a coach like LB will be loyal and probably keep a kid no matter what ( exception being academic or off field issues). Generally what happens after 2-3 years is if a kid isn't playing, they generally transfer ( ie Dionte Ponder, Dan Parker etc).

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 11:50 AM
I would think that if a recruit or a family member were to actually look at this site that they would be happy to know that there really are fans that exist that are passionate about Troy Trojan Athletics.

:signs011:

SoFlaTrojan
11-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Manufactured or not, if Troy has only one commitment, and the issue is being discussed on the Sun Belt Board, and likely talked about my other schools' recruiters, something is amiss.

likesturtles
11-19-2013, 01:15 PM
I know of at least two kids (one being recruited and one who just wants to play ball there) who haven't even entered the conversation yet. One is a defensive player out of Tallahassee who visited during the USA game (also being pursued by them, his dad works here in town and talked to me when he saw my Troy shirt). The other does yard work for me and is a kicker. Moral of the story is there are more recruits out there then we know about at this point. Remember also that we have a small staff and no recruiting coordinator. That is going to have impact.

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Manufactured or not, if Troy has only one commitment, and the issue is being discussed on the Sun Belt Board, and likely talked about my other schools' recruiters, something is amiss.

Nothing is amiss. The same company that is in charge of Obama's birth certificate and college records has been hired to protect our recruiting this year :jester:

cuke63
11-19-2013, 07:34 PM
I understand your thought. What he is asking is "if" LB knows he is resigning and "if" the staff knows this and "if" they know they are gone..."could" that be the reason we are not recruiting right now. 1 commit means we aren't recruiting no matter how you look at it, either not trying or not having success.

Well, I am not one start stuff.....BUT.....I did see on the tweeter that a current staff member reached out to a potential staff member with "hang in there, we could have a lot of changes coming soon". Just sayin

GoTroyGo1
11-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Well, I am not one start stuff.....BUT.....I did see on the tweeter that a current staff member reached out to a potential staff member with "hang in there, we could have a lot of changes coming soon". Just sayin

"Recruiting Effort" seems to be an Oxymoron at Troy right now :eek:

trojanbrutha
11-19-2013, 11:32 PM

Who started the thread?

Doug4Troy
11-19-2013, 11:42 PM

Unless they read a thread that calls for the current coach that recruited their baby to be fired... or that calls players clowns or thugs. That might not make them "happy."

GoTroyGo1
11-19-2013, 11:54 PM

Wouldn't not having much to work with make it tougher on the new coach? a bare cupboard might even deter a new hire.

thrl595
11-20-2013, 12:02 AM

We can only hope so.

preacher
11-20-2013, 12:36 AM
Here's another one for you. I know a kid a great student. He received offers from many mid majors. He did not receive an offer from Troy. He was told it was because his hips were not wide enough. And had a tendency to run flat footed. 6'2" 185 runs a sub 4.4/40. Depends on the day has been time as low has 4.3 in the 40. Started as a freshman at safety out played us all day this year.

By the way the other guy recorded to sacks on us this year i believe.

preacher
11-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Let me say this though. We have done a great job at evaluating and recruiting offensive talent. We have gotten some great gets on that side of the ball. We have missed evaluated and opportunities to get very good defensive talent. The kid was not told he had narrow hips once by Troy but twice. He attended camp and was told it there also.

Lego
11-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Here's another one for you. I know a kid a great student. He received offers from many mid majors. He did not receive an offer from Troy. He was told it was because his hips were not wide enough. And had a tendency to run flat footed. 6'2" 185 runs a sub 4.4/40. Depends on the day has been time as low has 4.3 in the 40. Started as a freshman at safety out played us all day this year.

Let me say this though. We have done a great job at evaluating and recruiting offensive talent. We have gotten some great gets on that side of the ball. We have missed evaluated and opportunities to get very good defensive talent. The kid was not told he had narrow hips once by Troy but twice. He attended camp and was told it there also.

Wow. That is truly sad. Especially if you have first hand knowledge. I see why you are frustrated.

Since all this poor recruiting talk started a few days ago I asked some buddies I have in Mobile/Baldwin co. about Troy recruiting. They are in positions to know and they said they never see Troy coaches. Never, and they say they don't know why because they could easily pluck one or two DI prospects with miminual effort. What Mobile is three hours away ? I did ask about the Slivers kid, QB out of Gulf Shores, Troy recruited itself for him due to his family connections to the school.

Something is amiss. Too many signs. Something is on the horizon. We don't have any restrictions on recruiting so ...

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Hips not wide enough :rollinglaugh: where have I heard that before :confused013:

Hemi Man
11-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Wow. That is truly sad. Especially if you have first hand knowledge. I see why you are frustrated.

Since all this poor recruiting talk started a few days ago I asked some buddies I have in Mobile/Baldwin co. about Troy recruiting. They are in positions to know and they said they never see Troy coaches. Never, and they say they don't know why because they could easily pluck one or two DI prospects with miminual effort. What Mobile is three hours away ?

Something is amiss. Too many signs. Something is on the horizon.

According to this there are offers in that area.

http://troy.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Offers

Lego
11-20-2013, 07:28 AM
According to this there are offers in that area.

http://troy.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Offers

Hemi, there is a difference in throwing out a letter and an offer to a kid and "recruiting" him.

I only see three, one being everyone in the US has offered.

Heck Hugh Freeze offers like 500 or 1,000 recruits a year. Or something crazy like that.

Hemi Man
11-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Hemi, there is a difference in throwing out a letter and an offer to a kid and "recruiting" him.

I only see three, one being everyone in the US has offered.

Heck Hugh Freeze offers like 500 or 1,000 recruits a year. Or something crazy like that.

No one on this board knows to what extent these players have been recruited.

They can't recruit Mobile only.

For example if you only have 14 scholarships to offer does it make sense to offer 500 players? Why not target a top 100 or so that can fill critical needs? What if you offer that many and you end up with 20 commits? You now have 6 kids that you can't keep your word to. I can see that being a negative in the future if that were to happen.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 09:45 AM

For example if you only have 14 scholarships to offer does it make sense to offer 500 players? Why not target a top 100 or so that can fill critical needs? What if you offer that many and you end up with 20 commits? You now have 6 kids that you can't keep your word to. I can see that being a negative in the future if that were to happen.

I really hope we are aggressively recruitng Mobile. I noticed on Northern Ilinois roster they have several players from Mobile, so the talent must be there.

FoulPolePhenom
11-20-2013, 10:11 AM
I really hope we are aggressively recruitng Mobile. I noticed on Northern Ilinois roster they have several players from Mobile, so the talent must be there.

One of the reasons they have so many from there is their CB coach Kelvin Sigler who played high school down there and coached at Blount and also played at Alabama. He has a lot of connections down there that is probably helping them out. I don't know if we have anyone with those kind of connections in that area. I could be wrong.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 10:23 AM
One of the reasons they have so many from there is their CB coach Kelvin Sigler who played high school down there and coached at Blount and also played at Alabama. He has a lot of connections down there that is probably helping them out. I don't know if we have anyone with those kind of connections in that area. I could be wrong.

Connections help for sure. One of the things that aggravates me is that Troy doesn't use it's connections to the fullest. St Augustine High (FL) is multiple state champs and one of the top programs in the state, we were beat by WKU twice with a QB from there. Their coach is a Troy grad and a former Alumni of the year nominee. We have never signed a player from there. I know of several high school coaches who are Troy Alumni that have never seen a Troy coach and one FL HS coach I went to HS with who has never seen or heard from Troy and he has had multiple D1 players. Recruiting is tough enough, use all the advantages you have. If Norther Illinois can get a kid to go up there to the frozen tundra, surely we can get one to drive 3 hours.

Mr.E_205_Legion
11-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Since all this poor recruiting talk started a few days ago I asked some buddies I have in Mobile/Baldwin co. about Troy recruiting. They are in positions to know and they said they never see Troy coaches. Never, and they say they don't know why because they could easily pluck one or two DI prospects with miminual effort. What Mobile is three hours away ? I did ask about the Slivers kid, QB out of Gulf Shores, Troy recruited itself for him due to his family connections to the school.

Something is amiss. Too many signs. Something is on the horizon. We don't have any restrictions on recruiting so ...

Tell your friends to let Randy Butler know IF they have someone he needs to checkout. He can be reached at rbutler54553@troy.edu

Just another example of looking at the coaching staff and determining who recruits where. Based on the information below you know who to contact for Mobile and southern Mississippi:

HOMETOWN: Hartford, Ala.
HIGH SCHOOL: Geneva County (‘75)
ALMA MATER: Southern Miss (‘79)
MASTER’S DEGREE: Southern Miss (‘81)
PLAYING CAREER: Southern Miss (‘75-78)
COACHING CAREER:
Southern Miss 1993-2007
Asst. HC/Tight Ends 2005-07
Asst. HC/Def. Line 2001-04
Defensive Line 1996-2000
Defensive Ends 1995
Tight Ends 1993-94

thrl595
11-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Tell your friends to let Randy Butler know IF they have someone he needs to checkout. He can be reached at rbutler54553@troy.edu

Just another example of looking at the coaching staff and determining who recruits where. Based on the information below you know who to contact for Mobile and southern Mississippi:

COACHING CAREER:
Southern Miss 1993-2007
Defensive Line 1996-2000
Defensive Ends 1995
Tight Ends 1993-94

He timed that exit from USM pretty well!

preacher
11-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Connections help for sure. One of the things that aggravates me is that Troy doesn't use it's connections to the fullest. St Augustine High (FL) is multiple state champs and one of the top programs in the state, we were beat by WKU twice with a QB from there. Their coach is a Troy grad and a former Alumni of the year nominee. We have never signed a player from there. I know of several high school coaches who are Troy Alumni that have never seen a Troy coach and one FL HS coach I went to HS with who has never seen or heard from Troy and he has had multiple D1 players. Recruiting is tough enough, use all the advantages you have. If Norther Illinois can get a kid to go up there to the frozen tundra, surely we can get one to drive 3 hours.

Yes I know Troy alumni that unless they pushed their kids on Troy they would never get looked at. Frustrating to them and me.

preacher
11-20-2013, 04:10 PM

COACHING CAREER:
Southern Miss 1993-2007
Defensive Line 1996-2000
Defensive Ends 1995
Tight Ends 1993-94

Randy does a great job recruiting. There is another one I'm a little suspect of.

Lego
11-20-2013, 04:38 PM

Didn't say recruit Mobile only. But it is pretty clear they don't recruit it at all. At least drive three hours and meet the HS coaches, you know recruit.

Hemi Man
11-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Didn't say recruit Mobile only. But it is pretty clear they don't recruit it at all. At least drive three hours and meet the HS coaches, you know recruit.

Offers from a recruiting site indicate that has happened. Sorry you failed.

Lego
11-20-2013, 04:42 PM

COACHING CAREER:
Southern Miss 1993-2007
Defensive Line 1996-2000
Defensive Ends 1995
Tight Ends 1993-94

He should be contacting them, if you know what I mean.
It sounds like emailing him does go far anyway. A lot are saying all they tell them is that have to come to Troy's camp.

All this lack of recruiting is still strange. Especially since CLB stated clearly there are zero restrictions on his recruiting. He said he can go anywhere at anytime to recruit.

dgoebel
11-20-2013, 04:48 PM
He should be contacting them, if you know what I mean.
It sounds like emailing him does go far anyway. A lot are saying all they tell them is that have to come to Troy's camp.

All this lack of recruiting is still strange. Especially since CLB stated clearly there are zero restrictions on his recruiting. He said he can go anywhere at anytime to recruit.

To much emphasis on camps IMO. If we are only going to look at players who come to camp then that would explain why we aren't getting any players from Cent. fl to South Florida?? Surely this isn't the case

Mr.E_205_Legion
11-20-2013, 06:14 PM

SORRY to hear that :confused-smiley-004

Navarre Trojan
11-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Here is a NEWS FLASH for everyone on ths thread now and in the future, NO SCHOOL OR PROGRAM IN THE COUNTRY HAS A COMMIT, not one, until National Signing Day. By the way, if a kid doesn't have a rival account (or whatever) do they still track them? Scout?

Just curious, also, I know of two kids here that are being "recruited" but they are "mum" about an offer (the kids I know).

preacher
11-21-2013, 01:20 AM
Here is a NEWS FLASH for everyone on ths thread now and in the future, NO SCHOOL OR PROGRAM IN THE COUNTRY HAS A COMMIT, not one, until National Signing Day. By the way, if a kid doesn't have a rival account (or whatever) do they still track them? Scout?

Just curious, also, I know of two kids here that are being "recruited" but they are "mum" about an offer (the kids I know).

I bet they went to Troy camp this summer.

Hemi Man
11-21-2013, 06:24 AM
It appears that some of yo use saying there has been a change in Troy's recruiting philosophy. Almost as if it's geared more towards offensive players as a priority. I remember some on here stating that over the last few seasons and some of you vehemently denying that was the case. I don't know our teams recruiting practices or schedules so I can't speak to whether this is true or not.

Interesting though.

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 07:23 AM
It appears that some of yo use saying there has been a change in Troy's recruiting philosophy. Almost as if it's geared more towards offensive players as a priority. I remember some on here stating that over the last few seasons and some of you vehemently denying that was the case. I don't know our teams recruiting practices or schedules so I can't speak to whether this is true or not.

Interesting though.

Here is what I have gathered listening to this board and my two cents which only add up to a penny :wave:

1) I have heard over and over that when Troy went to the spread system that more scholarships were allotted for offense because of the need for more receivers and this is the reason our defense struggles.
2) we have used our juco signees probably about 85% of the time for the defensive side of the ball. Why I don't know. My guess is trying to patch and or fix a struggling defense.

What I do know is that we recruit pretty well on offense but not defense ( or they aren't playing at their potential), we also either aren't recruiting or signing players from south of me here in Florida and that is where the vast talent in this state is concentrated. And before the reck throwing AL HS fans start throwing at me, I am just stating a fact on recruiting, nothing else.

Hemi Man
11-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Here is what I have gathered listening to this board and my two cents which only add up to a penny :wave:

Sometimes you have to filter through the fertilizer to get to the fruit beating posts.

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Sometimes you have to filter through the fertilizer to get to the fruit beating posts.

Question is what kind of fruit :rollinglaugh:

Hemi Man
11-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Question is what kind of fruit :rollinglaugh:

You have to know which ones to pick and which ones to leave alone.

dgoebel
11-21-2013, 09:33 AM
I will go with Florida Oranges

Troy87
11-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Randy does a great job recruiting. There is another one I'm a little suspect of.

On this, I will strongly disagree. I have emailed, and left voice mails regarding kids from the panhandle with Coach Butler. Never.....repeat NEVER, have I gotten response.

When I told Coach Pierce about a kid, I got a phone call back, and he told me what the staff thought about him.

trojanbrutha
11-24-2013, 10:40 PM

No one has a "signee" but there are kids that have committed. Nothing is "guaranteed" until the grant-in-aid is signed, on or after Signing Day.

dgoebel
11-25-2013, 07:07 AM
On this, I will strongly disagree. I have emailed, and left voice mails regarding kids from the panhandle with Coach Butler. Never.....repeat NEVER, have I gotten response.

When I told Coach Pierce about a kid, I got a phone call back, and he told me what the staff thought about him.

Have the same experience with Coach Beckles, I never hear back. KE gets back to me the same day, but we are friends but he doesn't have my area. Turk had my area when he was at Troy, what a pleasure. Recruited heavily down here and always got back with you.

Jericho Johnny
11-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Do you guys all go to a lot of high school games? I have no idea what the h.s. football scene looks like here in Tallahassee.

dgoebel
11-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Do you guys all go to a lot of high school games? I have no idea what the h.s. football scene looks like here in Tallahassee.

You have three really good programs in Tallahassee. North Florida Christian has won multiple state titles, Godby is the defending 5A champs and Lincoln is a 7A power. Chiles is getting better but it is a baseball power. Leon hasn't done much lately.