PDA

View Full Version : If you don't like to hear our coach bow down to SEC - don't listen to this

preacher
11-18-2013, 05:42 PM
http://troytrojans.com/news/2013/11/18/FB_1118132922.aspx?path=football

Lego
11-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Times have changed at ole Troy State.

I don't like the attitude this program has turned to.

(To paraphase) The "well, their bigger and faster so we can't compete" and "we are trying our best" is crap.

Lets bring back (again paraphasing) , "they might be bigger but we have heart and we are ready to chop them down !" And "we are ready, we know we are better and we going to finish !" Or "you better be ready, we are going to bring the noise."

Where is the Anytime, Anywhere ?

TroyFootball05
11-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Times haven't changed. Coach has always responded like that. We're not winning or losing anymore OOC games than before, or by any different margins. During our title run, we got blown out regularly by the SEC, but we also had some close games. In terms of results and coach speak, neither has changed. Where times have changed is in conference. Here's hoping for a win vs TSU.

Mr. Ho
11-19-2013, 09:07 AM
During our title run, we got blown out regularly by the SEC,.

Really? Mr. Ho only think of one time we get blow out regularly - SoCar a few years back. We give more game away than we get blow out (LSU-twice!, Georgia, Tennessee, Ole Miss State-twice!).

But perception now is we sucky Sunbeelt team and $EC team roll over TMTDM like The Red Wave roll over Granny at Piggly Wiggly to get last free sample of Jimmy Deans Sausage.

This also #1 reason NOT to hire some fancy, visor-wearing assistant coach from the $EC. He have same attitude as well.

FYI: Turk aand Campbell don't have this attitude and doegebell probably back Ho up on this one.

DedicatedTrojan84
11-19-2013, 09:33 AM
HO, DT84 does not appreciate the visor hate!

:signs019:

TroyFootball05
11-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Really? Mr. Ho only think of one time we get blow out regularly - SoCar a few years back. We give more game away than we get blow out (LSU-twice!, Georgia, Tennessee, Ole Miss State-twice!).

You're leaving out Florida (twice, 07 & 09) and Arkansas (09). Nebraksa (06) and Oklahoma State (08) thought not SEC were also blowouts. We perform just as well now against the big boys as we did during our title run.

Florida Games

49-7 at the half in 07.
35-3 at the half in 09.

Nebraska

56-0 final in 06.

South Carolina

56-7 at the half in 10.

Arkansas

56-20 final in 09.

Lego
11-19-2013, 10:43 AM
You're leaving out Florida (twice, 07 & 09) and Arkansas (09). Nebraksa (06) and Oklahoma State (08) thought not SEC were also blowouts. We perform just as well now against the big boys as we did during our title run.

Florida Games

49-7 at the half in 07.
35-3 at the half in 09.

Nebraska

56-0 final in 06.

South Carolina

56-7 at the half in 10.

Arkansas

56-20 final in 09.

You have done a good job with the negative. Now what about all the positives against the big boys (this is the fire we are missing) ?

Say like Mississippi State, Okalhoma State, Missouri and several other scares.

Hemi Man
11-19-2013, 10:44 AM

Florida Games

49-7 at the half in 07.
35-3 at the half in 09.

Nebraska

56-0 final in 06.

South Carolina

56-7 at the half in 10.

Arkansas

56-20 final in 09.

Oddly enough the best team we have played just might be Duke. 38-31 on a bad call.

Hemi Man
11-19-2013, 10:47 AM
You have done a good job with the negative. Now what about all the positives against the big boys (this is the fire we are missing) ?

Like 8-2 Duke this year? Miss St last year? Leading Clemson at the half the year before?

preacher
11-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Times haven't changed. Coach has always responded like that. We're not winning or losing anymore OOC games than before, or by any different margins. During our title run, we got blown out regularly by the SEC, but we also had some close games. In terms of results and coach speak, neither has changed. Where times have changed is in conference. Here's hoping for a win vs TSU.

Florida Games

49-7 at the half in 07.
35-3 at the half in 09.

Nebraska

56-0 final in 06.

South Carolina

56-7 at the half in 10.

Arkansas

56-20 final in 09.

What kind of point are you trying to make?
1. We have always been a push over?
2. We can never play with the big boys so get over it?
3. Blakeney's attitude toward these games has always been we're gonna lose?

The truth of the matter is he has lost his fire. We were competitive for three quarters in most of our games against the big boys then depth would get us. Now depth is getting us out of the gate (which your scores prove my point). He has lost his swagger and I guess much of the fan base has lost it's swagger also to excuse it. To even try to defend this attitude shows very little understanding of where we have come from and our history. Makes me sick to my stomach!

preacher
11-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Oddly enough the best team we have played just might be Duke. 38-31 on a bad call.

Duke still hasn't played anyone! Miami? They got beat down by Florida State. Miami and Duke both would get beat down by most of the SEC.

TroyFootball05
11-19-2013, 11:00 AM

You know better, Lego. I'm all about the big wins! I was there in 07 when we took down OKSTATE. Best Troy game I've been to!

If you had bothered to read my post (which you never, ever do, again not surprised), the negative was you saying "times have changed" as if to say Blakeney had fallen off in terms of OOC success. I was pointing out that our OOC success is about the same as it has always been, times have not changed as far as OOC is concerned, and that coach Blakeley reacts just the same as he did then. You were just looking for another reason to be negative. You just don't pay attention. How many times do we have to go down this road, Lego?

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 11:52 AM

But perception now is we sucky Sunbeelt team and $EC team roll over TMTDM like The Red Wave roll over Granny at Piggly Wiggly to get last free sample of Jimmy Deans Sausage.

This also #1 reason NOT to hire some fancy, visor-wearing assistant coach from the $EC. He have same attitude as well.

FYI: Turk aand Campbell don't have this attitude and doegebell probably back Ho up on this one.

You can't get two finer men and coaches than Turk or Campbell. I will vouch on unmatched character and both are winners

TroyFootball05
11-19-2013, 12:23 PM
What kind of point are you trying to make?
1. We have always been a push over?
2. We can never play with the big boys so get over it?
3. Blakeney's attitude toward these games has always been we're gonna lose?

The point I am making is that these comments are nothing new, like many are suggesting. Mr. Ho said we'd only been blown out by one SEC school. I posted facts contrary to that. Nothing more! Why do you guys try to read more than what's on the page?

Now, in response to your questions, since you brought them up, we can't know the answer to number three, but we do know his response to the media has been the same since 2006. Draw whatever conclusion from there that you want. In response to number one that you brought up, we have been pushovers in some games, that's just a fact. We gave up against Florida in 2009 (title run year) just like we did against Miss State this year. The attitude was the same. Do I like it? No. Number 2 is obviously we can play with them, we have shown that, but we have to start playing more like an NIU or a Boise, with more consistency.

That said, here's something to consider:

What many suggest are the reasons why we are failing now existed when we were succeeding as well. Most won't admit that. We had five good years using JUCO players, we had four good years under rowell (most won't admit this), and we had five good years where coach made those kind of comments. Why all of the sudden are they (collectively) bringing Troy down now? Logic would suggest there are other factors at play. Just a question, before someone gets upset.

Don't misunderstand about rowell, I'm glad we got new blood, but there is obviously more to it than just rowell.

preacher
11-19-2013, 12:56 PM
The point I am making is that these comments are nothing new, like many are suggesting. Mr. Ho said we'd only been blown out by one SEC school. I posted facts contrary to that. Nothing more! Why do you guys try to read more than what's on the page?

Now, in response to your questions, since you brought them up, we can't know the answer to number three, but we do know his response to the media has been the same since 2006. Draw whatever conclusion from there that you want. In response to number one that you brought up, we have been pushovers in some games, that's just a fact. We gave up against Florida in 2009 (title run year) just like we did against Miss State this year. The attitude was the same. Do I like it? No. Number 2 is obviously we can play with them, we have shown that, but we have to start playing more like an NIU or a Boise, with more consistency.

That said, here's something to consider:

What many suggest are the reasons why we are failing now existed when we were succeeding as well. Most won't admit that. We had five good years using JUCO players, we had four good years under rowell (most won't admit this), and we had five good years where coach made those kind of comments. Why all of the sudden are they (collectively) bringing Troy down now? Logic would suggest there are other factors at play. Just a question, before someone gets upset.

Don't misunderstand about rowell, I'm glad we got new blood, but there is obviously more to it than just rowell.

I'm telling you Larry is not the same. Complacency slipped in during our title runs. I kept a blind eye to it for a long time because he is a great guy. But complacency has slipped in and hasn't let go. I had a team member tell me that the discipline problems are not a surprise to him because they are not addressed in practice when they happen. They are never talked about before the team. There is a difference between love and respect. Coaches have to walk that line but if respect is lost then any lasting influence is gone for the coach. That is what has changed in the locker room. I go back to a post game radio interview in 2011 and Blakeney said, "In my years of coaching this is the first time I have ever had a team look back at me with quit in their eyes. This team quit on me, on Troy, on themselves tonight and I have got to try to figure how to get that out." That was the LaLa game that year. I think he has tried every since then to figure it out but hasn't. It goes back to how well he can influence the team to do what he wants them to do. I think his inaction on letting Rowell go when players didn't trust that Rowell was giving them the best chance to be successful has a lot to do with this. I know enough players and hear enough stuff to get a pretty good feel for what is going on. They haven't come out and said it directly but there is much love for Blakeney but little respect. That's the difference. You asked.

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm telling you Larry is not the same. Complacency slipped in during our title runs. I kept a blind eye to it for a long time because he is a great guy. But complacency has slipped in and hasn't let go. I had a team member tell me that the discipline problems are not a surprise to him because they are not addressed in practice when they happen. They are never talked about before the team. There is a difference between love and respect. Coaches have to walk that line but if respect is lost then any lasting influence is gone for the coach. That is what has changed in the locker room. I go back to a post game radio interview in 2011 and Blakeney said, "In my years of coaching this is the first time I have ever had a team look back at me with quit in their eyes. This team quit on me, on Troy, on themselves tonight and I have got to try to figure how to get that out." That was the LaLa game that year. I think he has tried every since then to figure it out but hasn't. It goes back to how well he can influence the team to do what he wants them to do. I think his inaction on letting Rowell go when players didn't trust that Rowell was giving them the best chance to be successful has a lot to do with this. I know enough players and hear enough stuff to get a pretty good feel for what is going on. They haven't come out and said it directly but there is much love for Blakeney but little respect. That's the difference. You asked.

Be careful what you say or you get the here say stuff. I have two children that have and are attending Troy. I have heard all about this stuff but I made it up/ didn't know the players and my kids are liars. To much of this hearing about this stuff for it to be fabricated. There are discipline/attitude problems, some want to ignore it or not admit it.

Lego
11-19-2013, 01:24 PM
You know better, Lego. I'm all about the big wins! I was there in 07 when we took down OKSTATE. Best Troy game I've been to!

How many times do we have to go down this road, Lego?

1. The Ok state game was the best except maybe the Alcorn St or Centeal Ohio game.

2. Just because my opinion is different than yours does not mean I don't listen. All I asking was to think about the positive too. I was agreeing with you about the OCC just not the fire about them anymore. Like the fire at the Ok st game, we were not going to lose that one.

newnan trojan
11-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Like 8-2 Duke this year? Miss St last year? Leading Clemson at the half the year before?

Duke at home looks ever better now... Especially if they go to the ACC championship which looks likely and get a BCS bowl in FSUs place since they are headed to the NC more than likely...

Duke is the 2nd game of the season after UAB. And first home game. Should be a crowd over 25k IMO.

Hemi Man
11-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Duke still hasn't played anyone! Miami? They got beat down by Florida State. Miami and Duke both would get beat down by most of the SEC.

How is any of that relevant to Duke possibly being the best team we have played? It's got to be between Duke and Ole Miss.

newnan trojan
11-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Duke is at worst the 3rd best team on our schedule. And quite possibly 1st or 2nd.

TroyFootball05
11-19-2013, 02:14 PM
1. The Ok state game was the best except maybe the Alcorn St or Centeal Ohio game.

2. Just because my opinion is different than yours does not mean I don't listen.

Fair enough. The OKSTATE game was a lot of fun! It's not your opinion that bothers me. If we all thought the same way it would be rather boring, no? Oftentimes you try to argue against points that I don't make. That's why I feel like my posts aren't read fully. So I try and figure out why you think I'm trying to argue something I'm clearly not. It's not just you. If I even mention rowell's good years, people assume I'm also defending his bad years. If I mention our blowouts people ask why I'm not being positive, when I'm just arguing a single point, nothing more. It's a lot of assumptions. If I'm not for something, I must be against it. That's how I feel my opinions (and probably others) are viewed on this board.

For the record, I have no ill wills toward anyone on this board. Come by my tent and I'll have a beer waiting for you. Same offer I gave dgoebel. :thumb:

preacher
11-19-2013, 03:09 PM
How is any of that relevant to Duke possibly being the best team we have played? It's got to be between Duke and Ole Miss.

Duke is at worst the 3rd best team on our schedule. And quite possibly 1st or 2nd.

Duke would not beat Miss State and sure wouldn't beat Ole Miss. I'm saying they are a team that in the old days we would have won by 2 touchdowns easy and should have beat this year. I'm not so sure La La wouldn't take them to the wood shed.

preacher
11-19-2013, 03:12 PM
The number one team on our schedule is TROY because we have beaten ourselves more than I care to think about.

Hemi Man
11-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Duke would not beat Miss State and sure wouldn't beat Ole Miss. I'm saying they are a team that in the old days we would have won by 2 touchdowns easy and should have beat this year. I'm not so sure La La wouldn't take them to the wood shed.

All assumptions. No facts involved. Nice try though.

preacher
11-19-2013, 03:22 PM
All assumptions. No facts involved. Nice try though.

No more of an assumption than Duke would beat Ole Miss, Miss State, and La La to be the 1st or 2nd best team on our schedule. I don't think Duke could have a 500 record in the SEC west.

Hemi Man
11-19-2013, 03:32 PM

No more of an assumption than Duke would beat Ole Miss, Miss State, and La La to be the 1st or 2nd best team on our schedule. I don't think Duke could have a 500 record in the SEC west.

Look at the words I used. I never stated it as a fact in the manner that you did. Duke isn't in the SEC and neither are we.

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 03:35 PM

Either 3rd or 4th. Don't see much difference in them and LaLa IMO

preacher
11-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Look at the words I used. I never stated it as a fact in the manner that you did. Duke isn't in the SEC and neither are we.

You used just and possibly think and I was telling you why I definitely think they are 3rd are 4th. Your right unless they play games against each other we wouldn't know. Just entered the discussion. Didn't mean to intrude. :eatdrink004: Mine is A&W

Hemi Man
11-19-2013, 04:05 PM
You used just and possibly think and I was telling you why I definitely think they are 3rd are 4th. Your right unless they play games against each other we wouldn't know. Just entered the discussion. Didn't mean to intrude. :eatdrink004: Mine is A&W

All discussions are open to everyone.

newnan trojan
11-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Either 3rd or 4th. Don't see much difference in them and LaLa IMO

Duke would beat LaLa.

Heck LaLa struggled with Georgia State.

Also Duke is Ranked in most polls and headed to a BCS game likely.

MSU struggled with Bowling green and will be lucky to be Bowl eligible

dgoebel
11-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Duke would beat LaLa.

Duke is a pretty good team but it is hard to justify them better than Ole Miss (700 plus yds and blew us out) and MSU ( 60 plus points and blew us out) when Duke beat us by 7 and we had our chances to win

preacher
11-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Duke would beat LaLa.

SEC West has a lot to do with MSU's lack of bowl eligibility. Duke will get brow beat by Florida State and more than likely whoever they play in a BCS bowl.

TROYGRAD04
11-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Dook isn't going to make it out of their ACC schedule without a loss. That means they will not play FSU in the ACC Title game. Also, Dook will not play in a BCS game. Even if FSU wins out and plays in the National Title game, the ACC would get a BCS invite at-large bid. Clemson will get that invite. They travel well and are very competitive. They bring a big name to the BCS Bowl - which will be the Orange Bowl.

More than likely VT will get to the ACC title game against FSU - VT will more than likely end up in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl because of their record this year.

It's all about money and fans buying tickets - I was at the Troy/Dook game this year, and it was Dook's homecoming - uummmmm, LOTS of empty seats for a home game with beautiful weather and a homecoming no less! Their stadium seats <34,000 and they were far away from a sellout.

They have to play cross town rivals Wake Forest and UNC. Believe me, UNC is not going into that game lightly.

The bottom line - Troy really had multiple chances to beat Dook this year - but we just couldn't get it done. That really should have been a W for the Trojans. But what's done is done.

Here's to Beating Texas State next Friday.:eatdrink004:

FoulPolePhenom
11-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Dook isn't going to make it out of their ACC schedule without a loss. That means they will not play FSU in the ACC Title game. Also, Dook will not play in a BCS game. Even if FSU wins out and plays in the National Title game, the ACC would get a BCS invite at-large bid. Clemson will get that invite. They travel well and are very competitive. They bring a big name to the BCS Bowl - which will be the Orange Bowl.

More than likely VT will get to the ACC title game against FSU - VT will more than likely end up in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl because of their record this year.

It's all about money and fans buying tickets - I was at the Troy/Dook game this year, and it was Dook's homecoming - uummmmm, LOTS of empty seats for a home game with beautiful weather and a homecoming no less! Their stadium seats <34,000 and they were far away from a sellout.

They have to play cross town rivals Wake Forest and UNC. Believe me, UNC is not going into that game lightly.

The bottom line - Troy really had multiple chances to beat Dook this year - but we just couldn't get it done. That really should have been a W for the Trojans. But what's done is done.

Here's to Beating Texas State next Friday.:eatdrink004:

Virginia Tech can't make it, they were eliminated after losing to Maryland on Saturday.

TROYGRAD04
11-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Not true. VT beats UVA and Dook looses to Wake or UNC; but especially UNC - then VT goes. They have what amounts to a 5 way tie right now - but this weekend will flush a lot of it out. If I was beting money - and I'm not - I would bet that VT makes it to the ACC Title game - looses and ends up in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl - because there fans travel and like chicken sandwiches! As do I!

thrl595
11-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Not true. VT beats UVA and Dook looses to Wake or UNC; but especially UNC - then VT goes. They have what amounts to a 5 way tie right now - but this weekend will flush a lot of it out. If I was beting money - and I'm not - I would bet that VT makes it to the ACC Title game - looses and ends up in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl - because there fans travel and like chicken sandwiches! As do I!

Has a scientific study been conducted to conclude the chicken sandwich theory for VT fans?

TROYGRAD04
11-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Only because they (chicken sandwiches) are close cousins of the Hokie Bird! :rollinglaugh:

Hemi Man
11-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Duke is in the ACC title game.

Navarre Trojan
11-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Duke would beat LaLa.

Not starting a "war of words" but IMHO, there is NO WAY ON EARTH that Duke goes to a BCS bowl IF Clemson beats Carolina tonight, Orange will take them. Unless, of course they beat FSU :rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh:

Don't see that happening..