PDA

View Full Version : Defense made #8 play of day on ESPN!

Trojan by Birth
11-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Cause every one of them touched the ball carrier and not one of those clowns made anything that looked like a tackle.

Sunbelt City
11-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Can somebody post this? A new low for TMTDM.

Visionary
11-17-2013, 12:22 AM
That is really sad.

I sincerely respect Coach Blakeney and he has done so very much for Troy University. With this being said, we have all seen many, long term coaches who have not realized that they have done all that they can do and have reached their peak, that they have done all that they can for the institution that they have blessed with their long tenure. However, there comes a time when a person needs to understand that it is time to leave and pursue other things in life.

We owe Coach a lot. A tremendous amount of respect, admiration, support and loyalty. He, and his coaching staff (over the years), have led Troy to be one of the most respected programs in the NCAA. I want him to realize this and to be able to retire with such an amazing accomplishment under his belt. For him to be remembered by the great growth the program has taken as its path. That players have chosen to play at Troy, because, if they play hard, focused, disciplined ball, they will play. No matter the size. It doesn't matter if you're a scholarship kid or walk on. If they win a position, they play. Period. I truly believe that is why so many young men have come to Troy to play for him...... because he has proven, time and time again, that if you play hard for him, he will give you that chance that other institutions would not. When all they wanted was just a chance.

When his time is right to retire from Troy, I want him to have a send off that will show our appreciation for him, to him. To show how much the Troy family has, and does, appreciate all that he has done for us. He deserves that and I don't think he would ever want anything but the best for Troy.

So, with all this negativity I have seen on this board (and I realize this is what the board is for, to share anything, which is great), I hope we remember how much he has done for Troy.

Trojan by Birth
11-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Can somebody post this? A new low for TMTDM.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9990878

newnan trojan
11-17-2013, 12:37 AM

Wonderful.

On top of the record they broke from the 1950s

And on top of the record MSU broke in our game too.

thrl595
11-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Why did we fire Rowell again?

TFan
11-17-2013, 02:02 AM
Why did we fire Rowell again?

Those are HIS recruits. Fired him about 2 years too late IMO. Hindsight 20/20.

Hemi Man
11-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Cause every one of them touched the ball carrier and not one of those clowns made anything that looked like a tackle.

Clowns should be reserved for angry message board posters.

Trojan by Birth
11-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Clowns should be reserved for angry message board posters.

Sticking your head in the sand and hiding from reality should be reserved for ostriches.

Hemi Man
11-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Sticking your head in the sand and hiding from reality should be reserved for ostriches.

Says the clown from behind the keyboard.

You haven't seen me deny that we aren't very good right now.

Trojan by Birth
11-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Says the clown from behind the keyboard.

You haven't seen me deny that we aren't very good right now.

You just love the status quo.

Hemi Man
11-17-2013, 11:05 AM
You just love the status quo.

I support Troy. I don't hide behind a screen name and attack coaches and players.

Trojan by Birth
11-17-2013, 11:15 AM
I support Troy. I don't hide behind a screen name and attack coaches and players.

Nobody is attacking coaches or players. The use of the word clown is descriptive. To me, if you watch the video linked above or you watch a bunch of clowns pile out of a Volkswagen and run around, the pattern of activity would look the same.

As for attacking coaches, they are fair game. Muschamp said it best yesterday when he said he gets paid enough to deal with it.

Bottom line is our coaches are failing Troy University and our players are not respected enough by the university to be instructed on football fundamentals.

To take your attitude of just sit back and take it and not say anything if it aint nice is not what a message board is for.

Lego
11-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Nobody is attacking coaches or players. The use of the word clown is descriptive. To me, if you watch the video linked above or you watch a bunch of clowns pile out of a Volkswagen and run around, the pattern of activity would look the same.

As for attacking coaches, they are fair game. Muschamp said it best yesterday when he said he gets paid enough to deal with it.

Bottom line is our coaches are failing Troy University and our players are not respected enough by the university to be instructed on football fundamentals.

To take your attitude of just sit back and take it and not say anything if it aint nice is not what a message board is for.

This sums it up fairly.

Hemi Man
11-17-2013, 11:27 AM

What does crying on a message board accomplish? Discussion in fine.

Trojan by Birth
11-17-2013, 11:35 AM
What does crying on a message board accomplish? Discussion in fine.

Crying on a message board creates a grassroots movement to make change. How many letters have been written to TU based on threads from this board? I bet this board is responsible for the week to week changes we see for gameday. The will call being moved, the event staff changing up, the cheap stadium cups. We at GTT.com matter and will not be silenced.

Hemi Man
11-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Crying on a message board creates a grassroots movement to make change. How many letters have been written to TU based on threads from this board? I bet this board is responsible for the week to week changes we see for gameday. The will call being moved, the event staff changing up, the cheap stadium cups. We at GTT.com matter and will not be silenced.

If you sincerely believe that than I kind of feel sorry for you, now. Did you ever think the people behind the scenes see these problems and go to work on them immediately, before ever logging into GTT? The cup issues was resolved before the first ones were ever sold. That was a temporary issue.

trojanchad
11-17-2013, 11:52 AM
It's fun to log on to GTT and talk about Trojan sports, discuss food and post funny cat pictures, but if anyone here thinks GTT sets policy for Troy University Athletics in any way you think too highly of this site - and yourself.

No offense 87. :eatdrink004:

Doug4Troy
11-17-2013, 12:27 PM

So comparing players to clowns is not critical or an attack? If I indicate that a poster on this board is whining, they consider that an attack. As Troy fans, we have been spoiled with winning. And that's a good thing. No one on this board wants losing seasons, whether it's those with their "heads in the sand," or those with their heads somewhere else.

Just be careful, I have no idea if this board is read by our athletics staff and taken seriously... but, I am certain it is read by players and their families. If you asked a Troy player if he thought being "described" as a clown was an attack... what do you think he would say?

jagd1305
11-17-2013, 12:40 PM
I really don't think there has been much spoiling going on here in 3 years. With that said, I'm certain no-one here, regardless of opinion, is satisfied with what has happened with our field play. The break downs have been numerous. 3 years of this is no longer an anomaly; it's a pattern. I'm sure this is obvious to those who make the decisions of things to be done and realize that it would only be a matter of time before our stadium looks like the U. of Illinois student section at their game this past weekend.

Spiritual_Trojan
11-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Those are HIS recruits. Fired him about 2 years too late IMO. Hindsight 20/20.

But...But.... But I though that the players last year were exceptional and they whole issue was Rowells play calling and coaching? That is all I read on here last year especially when the coaches said the players were not as talented as they were in years past. Not defending Rowell just saying, once again, that one coach was not the issues.... as we all see now.

trojanbrutha
11-17-2013, 02:23 PM
But...But.... But I though that the players last year were exceptional and they whole issue was Rowells play calling and coaching? That is all I read on here last year especially when the coaches said the players were not as talented as they were in years past. Not defending Rowell just saying, once again, that one coach was not the issues.... as we all see now.

Like I stated previously, our safeties are pretty good in run support, but get sucked in on play action...that's why coverage gets busted so often...they're very aggressive, which is good, but should be tempered ever so slightly. If that's the R's fault, then he should bear that burden, but I don't think it is. Plus, he's gone...

Hemi Man
11-17-2013, 03:05 PM

You know I do remember that very argument from the keyboard coaching legends on here. Now they have changed their tune. (Again)

Psitech
11-17-2013, 03:29 PM
This just makes me ill. Just more of the same ole same ole. One player actually misses the tackle TWICE and another one throws his body and doesn't even attempt to use his arms. Congrats on making the highlight reel guys!

Doug4Troy
11-17-2013, 03:42 PM
I really don't think there has been much spoiling going on here in 3 years.

Aw jagd, you've been a Troy fan longer than that... you know what I mean. We aren't South Alabama, we have been playing and winning football games for much longer than the last 3 years. Think about the last 30 years... we were spoiled. However, I look forward to the days of being spoiled again.

troyfan
11-17-2013, 04:09 PM

That's funny right there!

likesturtles
11-17-2013, 09:41 PM
You know I do remember that very argument from the keyboard coaching legends on here. Now they have changed their tune. (Again)

I haven't. I do think Rowell wasn't ready or prepared for the job, nothing has changed that. I do think Bolt has made improvements in some areas. I don't know what the furk is going on with tackling, especially since they started wrapping up early in the year, though not consistently. I also don't think one year is enough to undo years of bad coaching if the support staff isn't there, which it isn't. Who on the staff handles remediation of defensive basics like tackling? Was Bolt supposed to do that himself or is something like that assigned to an assistant? I don't believe its a talent issue in this case solely because its every single defensive player tackling (or not tackling depending on how you look at it) the exact same way. Someone taught them to do it this way as a group. Is someone unteaching that?

TrojanFan2
11-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Normally it takes two or three years to make a noticeable difference. You have to recruit players that fit your mold in athleticism and character and then teach them to be players at this level. I see plenty of good things on the defensive side of the ball but they are still too easily fooled by miss-direction. The one thing I don't understand is why we don't bump or hit receivers more coming off the line especially when we are in a man defense.

BDM88
11-17-2013, 10:51 PM
I will say it again I would not run any other drill at defensive practice until they get it right. 100% tackling drills to make them learn. This Team has not tackled right for the last few years.

TroyFootball05
11-18-2013, 12:17 AM

I have some ocean front property in Kansas I think you'd be interested in. PM me for more details.

If you're serious, then you, like several on here, have an extremely inflated
sense of importance. You don't matter nearly as much as you think you do. Let me know how the email campaign goes.

Hemi Man
11-18-2013, 07:21 AM
I have some ocean front property in Kansas I think you'd be interested in. PM me for more details.

If you're serious, then you, like several on here, have an extremely inflated
sense of importance. You don't matter nearly as much as you think you do. Let me know how the email campaign goes.

I've started an email campaign myself. Please join me in telling John Hartwell to fire everyone in the athletic department and run it from the grassroots of GTT. The money saved on salaries combined with all the geniuses on here we could have the endzone facility built in a week.

trojanchad
11-18-2013, 07:27 AM
I've started an email campaign myself. Please join me in telling John Hartwell to fire everyone in the athletic department and run it from the grassroots of GTT. The money saved on salaries combined with all the geniuses on here we could have the endzone facility built in a week.

Don't put in the part about how Hartwell will have to fire himself after everyone else is fired.

When are keyboard coaches available for practices? Since some aren't even available for games, I hope we recruit some natural leaders - when we do email campaigns for recruiting.

trojanbrutha
11-18-2013, 07:38 AM

I call QB coach! :laughing021:

Hemi Man
11-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Don't put in the part about how Hartwell will have to fire himself after everyone else is fired.

When are keyboard coaches available for practices? Since some aren't even available for games, I hope we recruit some natural leaders - when we do email campaigns for recruiting.

Excellent point!! Oh wait if he reads these board continuously won't he be aware of it? Maybe 87 can create a special Troy Athletic Department forum and block John from reading it.

They will email and tweet the game plan to the players. No face to face meetings will be needed. I think Instagram would be better for recruiting. They could post pictures of facilities we don't have and the players wouldn't know until they arrive on campus.

redwaver
11-18-2013, 09:23 AM
So comparing players to clowns is not critical or an attack? If I indicate that a poster on this board is whining, they consider that an attack. As Troy fans, we have been spoiled with winning. And that's a good thing. No one on this board wants losing seasons, whether it's those with their "heads in the sand," or those with their heads somewhere else.

Just be careful, I have no idea if this board is read by our athletics staff and taken seriously... but, I am certain it is read by players and their families. If you asked a Troy player if he thought being "described" as a clown was an attack... what do you think he would say?

Name calling for any reason never serves a positive purpose and often weakens the posters points. However, it's rediculous to say one should never identify players or coaches when discussing play or coaching tacktics or game plans. We are so politically correct in this country you almost can't speak any more. GTT is simply a site to ponder athletic situations, good and bad and to support your university in a manner respecting all involved. Other than that we have NO other power nor should we. We have folks hired to do thst job. In football, at time like this if we couldn't talk about poor play we wouldn't have mych to say. Something is wrong in Gothem and I for one don't know what it is but it has to be fixed SOON! OMG I hope it's that endzone facility!

Spiritual_Trojan
11-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I call QB coach! :laughing021:

I call offensive play calling.... after all I have lead the Trojans to 3 back to back to back national championships on NCAA14.... Now where is the recruiting screen where I just add points to the recruits to make interested in Troy?

trojanbrutha
11-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I call offensive play calling.... after all I have lead the Trojans to 3 back to back to back national championships on NCAA14.... Now where is the recruiting screen where I just add points to the recruits to make interested in Troy?

That would be found...under the new facilities tab...

TroyFootball05
11-18-2013, 10:38 AM
I haven't. I do think Rowell wasn't ready or prepared for the job, nothing has changed that.

You do realize that Rowell's first four defenses at Troy were actually very good, and it was his last four that were terrible right?

We ranked an aweful 82nd in scoring defense last year. We rank an even more aweful 106th this year. We should fire Rowell.

I'm glad for the new blood, really. But to say he wasn't prepared for the job when he had four of Troy's best defenses in his first four years would speak otherwise.

Discophobia
11-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I find it funny and kind of sad, as in (dont you have anything else going on in your life)that some that seek to control this board criticize anyone or any mention of coaching changes or bad play and dont dare say anything about a player. Some wonder why participation in this board has fallen off...it is partly because the team stinks and people are tired of the same old attitudes etc., but I think people dont like coming on here and having people that usually have several thousand post and connections to the University jump on them if they even make one mention about disagreeing with the coaches or players etc.

Spiritual_Trojan
11-18-2013, 11:17 AM
That would be found...under the new facilities tab...

Yea I agree. I think having top notch facilities means a lot more to recruiting than some on this board are willing to accept. Yes other schools are recruiting better with worse facilities, but they were promising two years ago to break ground on a new endzone building. I do think Hartwell was right in putting it on hold to make sure its done right. The issue is that it was going to be rushed through just so we could have it up without much thought to if it would be something the school would be happy with 5, 10, or 20 years down the road, and that says something about the previous leadership and other areas of leadership at the school.

TroyFootball05
11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I find it funny and kind of sad, as in (dont you have anything else going on in your life)that some that seek to control this board criticize anyone or any mention of coaching changes or bad play and dont dare say anything about a player. Some wonder why participation in this board has fallen off...it is partly because the team stinks and people are tired of the same old attitudes etc., but I think people dont like coming on here and having people that usually have several thousand post and connections to the University jump on them if they even make one mention about disagreeing with the coaches or players etc.

That's a very biased view. I get jumped on nearly everyday because I'm not a die hard "fire larry blakeney fan." I'm an idiot and non-alumni because I don't jump the gun to pull the trigger. Some of us "blind clowns" have fought back, and many of you don't like it and think it only happens to you guys. There's equal squawking on both sides and us "apologists" get fed up with it as much as you do.

Sometimes my posts are a bit harsh. I don't mean to control anyone. But when someone jumps on a coach or a player about what they think he feels on the inside, that's personal. How could anyone know? I will ere on the positive. I will defend the coaches and players when a message board poster presumes that LB "doesn't give a ****". That's the way it is. You don't have to like it. It's my opinion that I get blasted for every time I say it.

If someone is making an assumption about a coach and I have a different opinion about it, I'm going to say it. I don't need your permission. I will tone down how I say things, for sure. They do come off not so friendly at times. But that's as far as it goes. The larger issue is a lot on here just don't like being disagreed with at all.

Also, when a player is called an idiot or a moron, that will get a nasty reaction every time. And rightfully so. Which is usually when the nasty reactions occur, not when a kid misses a tackle.

Cane gone Trojan
11-18-2013, 12:11 PM
How in the world did our DB's get D1 scholarships? They can't tackle and they sure as heck can not read and react to a ball that is thrown. They do look like clowns back there....clowns make people laugh, and our DB"S make people laugh. All the opposing qb has to do is pretty much heave the ball down field and it is is almost certain that their receiver is going to come down with the ball....it is sad and frustrating to watch as a Troy fan. Maybe Troy needs to have a tryout every year for football in the form of an NFL combine to reevaluate current players on scholarship. This combine could take place a month before Spring training is to begin and would determine renewal of a football scholarships. This would certainly motivate current players to work their A$$ off during the off season to become bigger, faster, stronger and just better if they want to keep their scholarship at Troy. just my 2 cents

Hemi Man
11-18-2013, 12:28 PM

How in the world did our DB's get D1 scholarships? They can't tackle and they sure as heck can not read and react to a ball that is thrown. They do look like clowns back there....clowns make people laugh, and our DB"S make people laugh. All the opposing qb has to do is pretty much heave the ball down field and it is is almost certain that their receiver is going to come down with the ball....it is sad and frustrating to watch as a Troy fan. Maybe Troy needs to have a tryout every year for football in the form of an NFL combine to reevaluate current players on scholarship. This combine could take place a month before Spring training is to begin and would determine renewal of a football scholarships. This would certainly motivate current players to work their A$$ off during the off season to become bigger, faster, stronger and just better if they want to keep their scholarship at Troy. just my 2 cents

Did you two clowns get your feelings hurt? Keyboard coaches have returned!

Cane gone Trojan
11-18-2013, 12:41 PM

You make me laugh harder then our DB's.:rollinglaugh:

Lego
11-18-2013, 02:04 PM

They are still mad at you for helping to oust Rowell.

That's a very biased view.

Aren't all opinions biased ?

Hemi Man
11-18-2013, 02:11 PM
You make me laugh harder then our DB's.:rollinglaugh:

Trust me you can't be laughing as hard as you are getting laughed at these days.

Cane gone Trojan
11-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Trust me you can't be laughing as hard as you are getting laughed at these days.

ok mr 8,619.....i bet 8000 of those posts are opinions about posters and not opinions about Troy athletics....that is pathetic if you ask me given that this message board is about opinions of Troy athletics...maybe you should create a message board about opinions of GTT posters...then you could feel real important. You take yourself WAY to SERIOUS!:rollinglaugh:

TroyFootball05
11-18-2013, 02:23 PM
They are still mad at you for helping to oust Rowell.

Is our athletic director is so clueless he has to rely on discophobia to make any and all decisions? I mean do you really believe that, Lego?

Aren't all opinions biased?

Bias is not just limited perspective. It's ignoring the other side of the argument. That should answer your question in relevance to my post. :thumb:

dgoebel
11-18-2013, 02:37 PM
What is sad is that we are supposed to all be Troy fans and supporters. Some of us are alumni, some of us played, some of us are just fans. But the way some posters, including myself are attacked for having any opinion that isn't total obedience/blind allegiance is disheartening. I am glad that we don't have total agreement on things, that is not good having yes men in anything.

Here are the facts of this board:

1) some will support Troy with blind allegiance
2) some do not like some things that are happening
3) some think there is nothing wrong
4) some want a coaching change
5) some want the coach to stay
6) some think facilities are why we are failing
7) some think recruiting/coaching is to blame
8) some go to every home game, some go to a game close to them, some go to all of them. But pretty much all of us goes to a game
9) some are big money supporters, some give what they can
10) most important, we are all Troy fans. We don't agree all the time, but all of us want Troy to be the best.

I would like to see more consideration for views that don't line up with ones own views. Debate yes, name calling and hatred no. I don't agree with several posters on some issues, but I respect them and don't hate them because I know and realize that they are my brothers in the Trojan Nation. Whether that feeling is mutual, I don't know, but I respect every poster here because they have a heart and concern for Troy or else they wouldn't take the time to voice their concerns/opinions. I look forward to seeing all my fellow a Trojan fans/supporters at both the Trojan Warrior Tailgate and the game. Go Troy.

Cane gone Trojan
11-18-2013, 02:42 PM
What is sad is that we are supposed to all be Troy fans and supporters. Some of us are alumni, some of us played, some of us are just fans. But the way some posters, including myself are attacked for having any opinion that isn't total obedience/blind allegiance is disheartening. I am glad that we don't have total agreement on things, that is not good having yes men in anything.

8) some go to every home game, some go to a game close to them, some go to all of them. But pretty much all of us goes to a game
10) most important, we are all Troy fans. We don't agree all the time, but all of us want Troy to be the best.

I would like to see more consideration for views that don't line up with ones own views. Debate yes, name calling and hatred no. I don't agree with several posters on some issues, but I respect them and don't hate them because I know and realize that they are my brothers in the Trojan Nation. Whether that feeling is mutual, I don't know, but I respect every poster here because they have a heart and concern for Troy or else they wouldn't take the time to voice their concerns/opinions. I look forward to seeing all my fellow a Trojan fans/supporters at both the Trojan Warrior Tailgate and the game. Go Troy.

exactly...Great Post!

TroyFootball05
11-18-2013, 03:00 PM

Good post. I don't think anyone is in the #3 camp. I think that perception exists because of the moderates who don't fully commit to a firing squad. So it's assumed we just don't care. Not true.

I disagree with some of your ideas, but you're a good guy in my book. If I see you Friday, I'll gladly share a beer or two with you. :thumb:

troyfan
11-18-2013, 03:09 PM

I love how Coleman-Dancer dives at him to shoulder tackle the runner. Didn't even have his arms out to attempt to wrap up. Great fundamentals!

Lego
11-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Is our athletic director is so clueless he has to rely on discophobia to make any and all decisions? I mean do you really believe that, Lego?

:

A sense of humor, it's ok to have one.

Wait, Jeremy is that you ?

dgoebel
11-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Yea I agree. I think having top notch facilities means a lot more to recruiting than some on this board are willing to accept. Yes other schools are recruiting better with worse facilities, but they were promising two years ago to break ground on a new endzone building. I do think Hartwell was right in putting it on hold to make sure its done right. The issue is that it was going to be rushed through just so we could have it up without much thought to if it would be something the school would be happy with 5, 10, or 20 years down the road, and that says something about the previous leadership and other areas of leadership at the school.

We absolutely need the end zone building. The waiting part raises one of my biggest concerns, and that is Troy being able to keep up an arms race with the limitations we have. We have the smallest school, in the smallest town, with the smallest alumni base in our conference and possibly all of FBS. I hope that we have the resources to continue to play at a high level in D1 or else we will be relegated to playing the two money games to pay the bills and being mediocre in our conference. This is valid concerns and I hope that I feel better about this after the Trojan Warrior tailgate Sat. I want Troy to be the very best it can be.

Hemi Man
11-18-2013, 03:51 PM
ok mr 8,619.....i bet 8000 of those posts are opinions about posters and not opinions about Troy athletics....that is pathetic if you ask me given that this message board is about opinions of Troy athletics...maybe you should create a message board about opinions of GTT posters...then you could feel real important. You take yourself WAY to SERIOUS!:rollinglaugh:

Ok let me explain. If it's ok for you and others to call players, clowns, thugs, morons, and other names then it must be ok for me to direct those same names at you guys. Trust me it's quite obvious you and the grassroots movement here at GTT take this board far more serious than I do.

Now, many of you claimed firing Rowell was a cure all. I tried to tell you all along that the problems were much deeper than just firing the defensive coordinator. By the way our defense is statistically much worse than last years. I'm also going to tell you right now that things will get worse before they get better. Even if our record improves over the next few seasons. Not once have I ever stated that I am happy with how we play or where we are at this point. You assume that since I'm not throwing a temper tantrum than I must be content. The fact of the matter is that I'm going to support Troy if everyone is fired or if no changes are made. I'm not going to act like an 8 year old and threaten to never come back if John Hartwell doesn't do everything I want him to do. My passion for Troy won't be dampened because we lose or someone on a message board thinks I'm related to every coach. Troy is a special place to me and while I love winning, losing isn't going to make me love it any less.

preacher
11-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Ok let me explain. If it's ok for you and others to call players, clowns, thugs, morons, and other names then it must be ok for me to direct those same names at you guys. Trust me it's quite obvious you and the grassroots movement here at GTT take this board far more serious than I do.

Now, many of you claimed firing Rowell was a cure all. I tried to tell you all along that the problems were much deeper than just firing the defensive coordinator. By the way our defense is statistically much worse than last years. I'm also going to tell you right now that things will get worse before they get better. Even if our record improves over the next few seasons. Not once have I ever stated that I am happy with how we play or where we are at this point. You assume that since I'm not throwing a temper tantrum than I must be content. The fact of the matter is that I'm going to support Troy if everyone is fired or if no changes are made. I'm not going to act like an 8 year old and threaten to never come back if John Hartwell doesn't do everything I want him to do. My passion for Troy won't be dampened because we lose or someone on a message board thinks I'm related to every coach. Troy is a special place to me and while I love winning, losing isn't going to make me love it any less.

I agree with you I will always love Troy no matter what. I also agree with you some act like 8 yr olds. You have the most respect of any poster on here so I want to ask you directly. What do you think needs to happen to get us out of the mess you agree that we are in and that is only getting worse? We have no power just opinions and I'm asking what you would do if you made the decisions.

Discophobia
11-18-2013, 03:58 PM

No, but it is funny that you felt the need to respond...it was almost as if you somehow felt that you were the main one I was talking about.

Mr.E_205_Legion
11-18-2013, 04:24 PM

I LIKE this quiz, I just made a 7 out of 10 ! Never have liked odd numbers, EXCEPT of course 7 - the perfect number

Cane gone Trojan
11-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Let me first say that this board for me is for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY! I think it is great that Troy fans have a message board to go to and vent their frustrations with OPINIONS. as far as name calling...I have boys that are heavy into sports and I have told my own kids they played/looked like a bunch of clowns on several occasions...It is a figure of speech and not meant to be taken literal...they usually respond pretty well the next time out. As far as calling for JEREMY"S firing......I am not one of those that thought that.....I do think though that he should have been coaching on the offensive side of the ball(JMO) As far as calling out posters that you think are having 8 year old temper tantrums....WHY DO YOU CARE! One thing though that we definitely agree on though is our love for Troy and regardless of what I may say on this message board....I will always support Trojan Athletics....NO MATTER WHAT!

Hemi Man
11-18-2013, 04:42 PM
I agree with you I will always love Troy no matter what. I also agree with you some act like 8 yr olds. You have the most respect of any poster on here so I want to ask you directly. What do you think needs to happen to get us out of the mess you agree that we are in and that is only getting worse? We have no power just opinions and I'm asking what you would do if you made the decisions.

I'm just a fan on a message board. Just like everyone else on here. I don't have all the answers and I'm pretty sure there isn't a cure all. I think we are a .500 team next season with or without LB. This won't be fixed in 1 or 2 years. I think we have had to grab more jucos than we really wanted because we have lost out on high schoolers for whatever reason. Facilities is a major part in my opinion. I think Troy is in the top 5% of toughest places to recruit to. Many within our conference have passed us by. I think a great deal of blame lies with Steve Dennis. I believe John Hartwell is the right man to take us to the FBS behind the scenes. We have been FBS on the field for a few years. The groundwork for being FBS behind the scenes is being laid by Hartwell and the development staff. Just like planting a seed it will take time to see the fruits of the labor.

Hemi Man
11-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Let me first say that this board for me is for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY! I think it is great that Troy fans have a message board to go to and vent their frustrations with OPINIONS. as far as name calling...I have boys that are heavy into sports and I have told my own kids they played/looked like a bunch of clowns on several occasions...It is a figure of speech and not meant to be taken literal...they usually respond pretty well the next time out. As far as calling for JEREMY"S firing......I am not one of those that thought that.....I do think though that he should have been coaching on the offensive side of the ball(JMO) As far as calling out posters that you think are having 8 year old temper tantrums....WHY DO YOU CARE! One thing though that we definitely agree on though is our love for Troy and regardless of what I may say on this message board....I will always support Trojan Athletics....NO MATTER WHAT!

How would you feel about a stranger calling your kid a clown or a thug? I'm going to defend the players. The heart and effort is there. If they aren't as talented as the other team in ok with that.

I do get some joy out of poking fun at the temper tantrums.

dgoebel
11-18-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm just a fan on a message board. Just like everyone else on here. I don't have all the answers and I'm pretty sure there isn't a cure all. I think we are a .500 team next season with or without LB. This won't be fixed in 1 or 2 years. I think we have had to grab more jucos than we really wanted because we have lost out on high schoolers for whatever reason. Facilities is a major part in my opinion. I think Troy is in the top 5% of toughest places to recruit to. Many within our conference have passed us by. I think a great deal of blame lies with Steve Dennis. I believe John Hartwell is the right man to take us to the FBS behind the scenes. We have been FBS on the field for a few years. The groundwork for being FBS behind the scenes is being laid by Hartwell and the development staff. Just like planting a seed it will take time to see the fruits of the labor.

I agree with you on Dennis, he was a poor hire and dropped the ball. Troy is not a easy place to recruit, I agree on that. I do think we got complacent and fat during the run and it was easier to recruit juco than high school, just my opinion. You have to put in the effort to recruit high schools and I think we are lacking. I hear to many stories from people about not seeing coaches from Troy, including where I am. We are not the top area in Florida by no means but we still have D1 players every year and they are going to schools similar to Troy and a lot farther away ( Ohio, MTSU, Western Michigan, UAB, North Dakota St. Etc). I know my HS puts out at least 2-4 D1 players every year, smaller rural school, never seen a Troy coach :confused013: I have also heard of AL high schools not seeing a Troy coach also. it might take getting in cars and hitting every high school in AL first, and then hitting GA and FL. What I think we agree on is there needs to be some recruiting shake-up. If it is indeed solely the field house ( which is a part but I don't think it can be the only reason) then it should be built now!!!

The damage is done and I am not sure what or how long it will take to right the ship. We as Troy fans/suporters need to rally around what decision Hartwell makes and push Troy back to the top.

preacher
11-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Do you think that ground work includes planting knew staff? I respect you but I am not letting you off the hook without giving a direct answer. Does it get better without changing the number one determinate of the culture in the football program - the head coach? Just an open discussion between Troy Fans.

Cane gone Trojan
11-18-2013, 05:18 PM
How would you feel about a stranger calling your kid a clown or a thug? I'm going to defend the players. The heart and effort is there. If they aren't as talented as the other team in ok with that.

I think comparing calling someone a clown vs calling someone a thug is comparing apples and oranges together. I think I would be a little more upset if someone called my kid a thug...a thug is a criminal, a murderer or someone looking for trouble. No I don't think I would be upset if someone on this message board called my kid a clown or said he played like a clown....they might just get a chance to do that some day.

preacher
11-18-2013, 05:39 PM
CLB on what a right coaching change can do for a program.

http://troytrojans.com/news/2013/11/18/FB_1118132922.aspx?path=football

Listen to the first comments of the press conference.

Lego
11-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Good post, but unfortunately it will not prevent tools from being tools.

Hemi Man
11-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Do you think that ground work includes planting knew staff? I respect you but I am not letting you off the hook without giving a direct answer. Does it get better without changing the number one determinate of the culture in the football program - the head coach? Just an open discussion between Troy Fans.

I think LB wraps it up after this year or next year for sure. I think we are an average team next year, but they could surprise me and go 12-0 I'm which case he may or may not leave. So in short if he stays next year could be a good year, but long term there will be change and where it goes from there, up or down, is unknown.

thrl595
11-20-2013, 12:11 AM

Give it a break! Go look up some stats and "wow" us.

Hemi Man
11-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Give it a break! Go look up some stats and "wow" us.

Let me get this straight. You revive a thread that has been quiet for over 24 hours to tell me to give it a break? Good one Einstein.

thrl595
11-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Let me get this straight. You revive a thread that has been quiet for over 24 hours to tell me to give it a break? Good one Einstein.

Regarding your stance on someone being called a thug, I think we went a couple rounds on that earlier.:eatdrink004:

BTW, how many penalty yards have we racked up this year and what percentage of that is unsportsmanlike conduct or personal fouls?

Hemi Man
11-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Regarding your stance on someone being called a thug, I think we went a couple rounds on that earlier.:eatdrink004:

BTW, how many penalty yards have we racked up this year and what percentage of that is unsportsmanlike conduct or personal fouls?

:eatdrink004:

I don't think anyone will argue the avoidable penalties are a major issue.

Jericho Johnny
11-21-2013, 12:14 AM
This kind of thread doesn't happen when a team is winning, and the infighting is definitely creating this type of thread moreso than previously

I think it's pretty clear there are main camps on this board. The first group, consisting of folks like Hemi, TroyFootball05, and trojanbrotha consistently defend staff, players, and the university. There is another group, with folks like newnan and, trojan by birth, and cane gone trojan, who quite critical and willing to pretty harshly criticize the staff and players.

I don't think I can be accused of being a keyboard coach. I didn't call for Rowell's firing, and I don't generally opine on the xs and os of football. I'm not a football coach and I do expect them to take care of these things. I'm also not on here rabidly calling for LB's job each day, but it doesn't bother me one whit if others do so. I do feel, however, the dgoebel has it right when he says:

But the way some posters, including myself are attacked for having any opinion that isn't total obedience/blind allegiance is disheartening.

While I agree with the blue sky folks that the notion that this message board influences any decisions is pretty unlikely, I also am taken aback by the animosity of all those who want to remind the idea's original promoter that, not only is this board unimportant, but so is he.

Now, on the other hand, I also think calling players and staff, or each other, names doesn't really add much to the conversation. I certainly don't do it.

At the same time, I don't understand how this message board can both be so terribly unimportant that no one would ever take notice of it, yet the negative nancies are constantly admonished about their name-calling, because players or staff might read it or it's disrespectful. I recognize that those of you who work or seek out personal relationships (i.e. meeting and talking to them) that they may feel more vested in defending these people. It may sound unkind, but I really don't care about the players beyond their ability to contribute to the football team. They have many advantages in life. They may work hard for them, but there are many folks looking out for them to encourage them to be better citizens and build them up. I don't need to do that. I just don't get why it would matter if no one sees it, and even if they do, it kind of goes with the territory. College football players are under a microscope and the press is willing to write, critically, about an individual football player at a moment's notice.

In sum, I think it would be nice if the negative folks would chill out with the name-calling. At the same time, I don't know why they should be subject to criticism for themselves criticizing players, or, especially, calling for a coach to resign. Hemi says he wants discussion, but what kind? Discussion boards are almost purpose-built for people to vent, and if we fans have to log on and be as politically correct (as redwaver puts it) as if we were in the Chancellor's suite, we won't get that catharsis we are looking for.

I have long felt that any statements, critical but supportive, to Troy University and its football team are heaped with scorn by the same usual cast of characters. Perhaps its because some of the negative posters employ so much vitriol that the blue sky crew overcompensates in their defense.

How about we cut out the name-calling but also recognize that it's ok for a an anonymous person hiding behind their keyboard to get on a meaningless internet forum and call for a coach to resign while micro-analyzing his playcalling even though the last time he played football was pee-wee? Everything here comes with a heaping dose of salt anyway, doesn't it?

Oh, who am I kidding? The only remedy to this is win, win win. Better strap myself in for the long haul.

Jericho Johnny
11-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Oh, P.S. - I don't really think I'm "reviving" the thread at this point, but, I was bored, didn't want to do anything productive, and have been accumulating some anthropological observations about the habit of Homo Gttanderthal for a while now. I got what I wanted out of it already.