PDA

View Full Version : Sound of the South halftime show -UAB game - Aug. 31, 2

SoFlaTrojan
09-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Here's a video of the entire Sound of the South halftime show, made from the Stadium Club seats during the UAB game on Aug. 31, 2013.

o1VI1QzFPIg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Watch it in full screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VI1QzFPIg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SOTStrumpet
09-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Awesome video!! Thanks for posting! :wave:

The crowd reaction always gets me pumped up on the field!

trojaninvestment
09-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Those kids worked their butts off and should be very proud of themselves. This has nothing at all to do with them or with their performances.

I post this, realizing that it may not be overly popular to cast a critical eye over that which is so beloved; much like pointing out that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes. I may, after all, be the only one who feels this way and if so, I'm okay with that. There are a few things, three to be exact, that'd I wish the leadership would change.

1) The Fanfare is just way, way, way too fast. enjoyed it 40% less because I had to listen so quick. SLOW IT DOWN A FEW BPM!!!

2) Though the arrangements were good and energetic, they were so freakin' busy with lick after lick in the various instrument areas that it seemed chaotic and didn't feature the songs enough; almost like the arranger was just trying to toss in every trick in the book to make the song sizzle.

3) What's with the running off the field at the end? I'm assuming there was some reason that had to do with the show running long and that gets them off quicker than marching off but if so, I think they run long to their detriment. That looks just horrible.

Okay, sorry for the critical aspects. Hate to point out my impressions there because I run the risk of being castigated for calling into question a beloved Troy institution. It's for that fact (that it is a beloved Troy institution) that I'd really like to offer those passing thoughts in case I'm not the only one who thought that, though a good show, it could be better. FWIW.

troy4ever21
09-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Running off the field was because of UAB band's performance. Time constraints and what not. It doesn't look great, but you have to get off the field in time.

TroyTuba
09-04-2013, 08:56 AM
In the 15 years I have been associated with the band program, I have watched as the instructions on the fanfare have been dictated to the drum majors the same way each and every year, so I am not sure how this year's fanfare is any faster unless you mean it is faster than it was in 1965. Post-game fanfare gets the only special treatment in that the ending is usually stretched out from the woodwind trill to the end. Who knows though, you may be right - first year drum majors and the excitement of their first game - maybe they pushed it 4-6 bpm faster.

tsusax94
09-04-2013, 11:05 AM
"3) What's with the running off the field at the end? I'm assuming there was some reason that had to do with the show running long and that gets them off quicker than marching off but if so, I think they run long to their detriment. That looks just horrible. "

I was not at the game, so I don't know this for sure, but I bet they tried to cram in some ceremony to honor every football player from the, (I don't know), year 1942 and every dean of the university's secretary's dog before the UAB band even was allowed to take the field. As a member of the alumni band, I have had to run off the field a few times because of that very reason. We would literally have about 5 minutes left on the clock to perform.

SOTSButterfly
09-04-2013, 01:07 PM
"3) What's with the running off the field at the end? I'm assuming there was some reason that had to do with the show running long and that gets them off quicker than marching off but if so, I think they run long to their detriment. That looks just horrible. "

I was not at the game, so I don't know this for sure, but I bet they tried to cram in some ceremony to honor every football player from the, (I don't know), year 1942 and every dean of the university's secretary's dog before the UAB band even was allowed to take the field. As a member of the alumni band, I have had to run off the field a few times because of that very reason. We would literally have about 5 minutes left on the clock to perform.

Surprisingly, they didn't have anything like that. I bet UAB took longer than the SOTS was expecting, and the drum major had to give a sign to book it off the field at the end. There were still about 3 minutes left of half-time, but I guess it's required to let the team have those for warm up.

dgoebel
09-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Don't forget that these kids had been in full uniform since 2:30. First warming up on the quad and then Trojan Walk. They entered the stadium around 4:00. They could then take off jackets but they were still in the sun. My daughter had 2 bottles of water given to her. So, I don't know if they played the fanfare to fast or not, what I do know is the avg fan has no idea the level of work and dedication these band kids have. So sit back and relax, and enjoy the sound of the south. If any of us on this board wore those uniforms that long in the heat, not only would be not have made it to half time, we would be in Edge Memorial with IV's hooked up.

TrojanFanatic
09-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Those kids worked their butts off and should be very proud of themselves. This has nothing at all to do with them or with their performances.

I post this, realizing that it may not be overly popular to cast a critical eye over that which is so beloved; much like pointing out that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes. I may, after all, be the only one who feels this way and if so, I'm okay with that. There are a few things, three to be exact, that'd I wish the leadership would change.

1) The Fanfare is just way, way, way too fast. enjoyed it 40% less because I had to listen so quick. SLOW IT DOWN A FEW BPM!!!

2) Though the arrangements were good and energetic, they were so freakin' busy with lick after lick in the various instrument areas that it seemed chaotic and didn't feature the songs enough; almost like the arranger was just trying to toss in every trick in the book to make the song sizzle.

3) What's with the running off the field at the end? I'm assuming there was some reason that had to do with the show running long and that gets them off quicker than marching off but if so, I think they run long to their detriment. That looks just horrible.

Okay, sorry for the critical aspects. Hate to point out my impressions there because I run the risk of being castigated for calling into question a beloved Troy institution. It's for that fact (that it is a beloved Troy institution) that I'd really like to offer those passing thoughts in case I'm not the only one who thought that, though a good show, it could be better. FWIW.

1. I know both drum majors personally, and they may have been nervous, but the Fanfare during half time is generally a few clicks faster to deal with time.

2. This was the first game, it's clean, but it's not squeaky clean, it'll clean up some more as the year goes on.

3. The reason they ran off is for time and they don't have the closer on the field yet. With a ten minute half time show, it's a lot easier to get off the field. The DM's generally make the call according to the time on the clock.

Opinions are always welcome, as far as I know, and you voiced them well. When you criticize everyone for everything in a negative way, that's when most people start getting mad.

tntrojan
09-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks for posting SoFla. So does anyone know what happened to the "pit?" Why did we do away with it? Seems odd since every h.s. band I see still have them. Was this a cost cutting move?

trojaninvestment
09-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Well, let me reiterate that the kids did a really terrific job. I only offered what I did as constructive criticism. Not certain I can chalk it up to nerves entirely as comparing this rehearsal vid to the game show, it's the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY3S9juR3Ls

The most notably rushed difference is in the triplets before the trill. Definitely faster (as in factual, not opinion) from this example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjPk0aZfEQ4

Nor is this year's stylistically similar to say, the 1988 taped version. These are subtle differences that I hear every year and it's actually nice to hear how each season's will be interpreted. So no, I do not think it's a carbon copy from year to year since 1965, nor should it be. I think every drum major and band should have their own creative style and flair - not a conscious thing but it's just the way it turns out. I know the years I played are just a bit different here and there from this years. Again, you don't have to agree, and I'm ok with it if you don't. You're entitled to your own opinion. That's not to say that you are entitled to your own truth and as you can hear from this example above, there are some differences which reside in the area of fact, not opinion. Whether or not they are desirable differences is a matter of opinion. I'm ok if you have yours. Can you be ok if I have mine? :)

About the run off the field. I knew there was some reason and a good one even. I just thought it was a bit jarring to see, legit reason or no.

Again, it's a good halftime show and the kids are doing a terrific job. I just think there have been better years music arrangement-wise. I admit I have to say the same about the years I was there - there are other SOTS years that top that. I wasn't wild about the songs in the years I marched.

TrojanFanatic
09-04-2013, 11:52 PM
To each his own and welcome to the board!

trojaninvestment
09-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks! But I'm not new. I check the board a lot but rarely post. Take care!

SOTSButterfly
09-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for posting SoFla. So does anyone know what happened to the "pit?" Why did we do away with it? Seems odd since every h.s. band I see still have them. Was this a cost cutting move?

Pit was cut a few years ago, and I believe the reason was cost.

I definitely believe the band is better with it, so I miss it. :/

Spiritual_Trojan
09-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Pit was cut a few years ago, and I believe the reason was cost.

I definitely believe the band is better with it, so I miss it. :/

Yea it was cost, all the old pit equipment was beyond its last leg, due to the harsh conditions pit equipment is subjected to over the years. If I remember what I heard correctly to get new quality pit equipment would have taken most of, if not the entire band budget for the year. That combined with standard up keep of the percussion section as a whole and transportation cost put it on the chopping block.

SOTSButterfly
09-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Yea it was cost, all the old pit equipment was beyond its last leg, due to the harsh conditions pit equipment is subjected to over the years. If I remember what I heard correctly to get new quality pit equipment would have taken most of, if not the entire band budget for the year. That combined with standard up keep of the percussion section as a whole and transportation cost put it on the chopping block.

Wish I had the funds to sponsor new equipment for them. You'd think they'd be able to find someone who could.

SOTStrumpet
09-06-2013, 02:05 PM
The tempo in the Fanfare was addressed last night at rehearsal! :wave:

SOTSAlumBigGuns
09-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Transportation costs for the PIT technically can't be an excuse any more if the full band doesn't travel to away games. :taunt003:

I am a former PIT player and I really miss hearing it. I think drum solos are lacking without them. 30 cymbals are too many for me. But, I am biased. lol

However, if I won the lottery I would buy new PIT equipment, along with building a parking deck somewhere.

Spiritual_Trojan
09-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Transportation costs for the PIT technically can't be an excuse any more if the full band doesn't travel to away games. :taunt003:

I am a former PIT player and I really miss hearing it. I think drum solos are lacking without them. 30 cymbals are too many for me. But, I am biased. lol

However, if I won the lottery I would buy new PIT equipment, along with building a parking deck somewhere.

I think the choice was made when the full band did travel to several away games a year.

TrojanWarrior418
09-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Back in my band days we had to cut the halftime shows short and book it off the field because of time restrictions. The shows (at least back then) were always booked too long. We would learn about four songs and if we were lucky we would have enough time to perform 3 of them. My guess is the Sound of the South's shows were geared towards high school marching festivals and not towards college football halftimes.

SoFlaTrojan
10-19-2013, 11:46 PM
b8CklxXlmEw&feature=youtu.be_gdata_player