PDA

View Full Version : Big Mistake: Switching to thin, cheap, one-use stadium cups

SoFlaTrojan
09-02-2013, 11:35 AM
My experience in Troy Saturday (except for the oppressive heat and lack of shade in the main tailgating areas) was overwhelmingly positive, but ... Troy made a huge mistake this season in switching the logo soft drink cups to the cheap, thin, one-use version.

I enjoy collecting the cups each year. I bring many of them home and use them for day-to-day and car drinks and even bring them to away games.

These new cups are of a typical McDonald's/Burger King quality and not made for more than one use.

Don't the decision makers realize that the quality cups spread Trojan pride throughout the country? Did they charge the sponsors less because the cups will only be used inside the stadium?

They are little traveling and multi-use billboards and come in very handy. Mine usually last up to a year before fading. Some have lasted years!

I have given them to alumni who don't get back to games.

If Troy isn't going to offer a quality plastic cup for its soft drinks, it should sell the better types in bulk for fans to take home. I would buy a case of them every year.

Brotherofanalum
09-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Nothing against what you're saying, it's all very true. But I just gotta say, we're blessed that our biggest quarrel after Saturday was plastic cups. At about 8:00 PM everyone was sitting who our next head coach would be.

Hemi Man
09-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Nothing against what you're saying, it's all very true. But I just gotta say, we're blessed that our biggest quarrel after Saturday was plastic cups. At about 8:00 PM everyone was sitting who our next grass coach would be.

We have to coach the grass to grow?

SoFlaTrojan
09-02-2013, 11:45 AM
True. But I don't understand the second sentence.

Chasin170
09-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Single use? They are top shelf dishwasher safe per the manufacturer and the print can't be scratched off.Also the smaller bottom will fit into most cupholders compared to the older models.

I can see where they aren't as durable but if they only last 2 years,what's wrong with making someone have to come to another event to replenish?

Disclosure: I've never talked about a stadium cup before :jester:

I'm gonna have to say it looks like a smart move and you can certainly stack them better as they are lighter/tighter.

trojanchad
09-02-2013, 11:55 AM
On the bottom of the cup you will notice the words "Top Shelf Dishwasher Safe" and I can confirm my Whirlpool dishwasher did not destroy it like a crumpled piece of toilet paper. We only purchased one cup inside the stadium and it's holding up well after multiple uses. I'd post a pic, but then I'd be taking time to post a picture of a freaking cup to a Trojan forum about football.

Want a keepsake? Get to the bookstore or Screentech. A nice coffee mug spreads the Trojan message just as well as a big cup.

Maybe Troy made the decision to use less plastic and go to a material that is more environmentally friendly to create and recyle for the large group of people who use a cup and then throw a cup away.

trojanchad
09-02-2013, 11:56 AM
We have to coach the grass to grow?

Bolt could make field turf grow.

trojanchad
09-02-2013, 11:59 AM
MODS please move this to the Cookware & Cutlery forum!

Hemi Man
09-02-2013, 12:11 PM
On the bottom of the cup you will notice the words "Top Shelf Dishwasher Safe" and I can confirm my Whirlpool dishwasher did not destroy it like a crumpled piece of toilet paper. We only purchased one cup inside the stadium and it's holding up well after multiple uses. I'd post a pic, but then I'd be taking time to post a picture of a freaking cup to a Trojan forum about football.

Want a keepsake? Get to the bookstore or Screentech. A nice coffee mug spreads the Trojan message just as well as a big cup.

Maybe Troy made the decision to use less plastic and go to a material that is more environmentally friendly to create and recyle for the large group of people who use a cup and then throw a cup away.

I prefer my plastic cups to be fireproof! Not just dishwasher safe.

Bolt could make field turf grow.

My grass coach is for hire. My grass is out of control. It may be on PED's. Wait maybe he's talking about another type of grass.

MODS please move this to the Cookware & Cutlery forum!

Nope. It would have to be split with the lawn and garden section.

SoFlaTrojan
09-02-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't care what some Chinese-made cup (with U.S. flag) says. These are as durable as something you'd get with your combo meal. Clearly, consumers agreed with me because most of them were left in the stadium. These cups appear to be paper coated with wax or a sliver of plastic. Terrible for anything but one use.

Oh and I'll jump right over to the book store and buy some pink or blue (only colors I saw) Troy cups for $8.99 each or more.

SOTStrumpet
09-02-2013, 12:22 PM
The bookstore on campus has some nice cups that are made of a "stronger" plastic. There are cardinal ones and black ones. Some even have the fight song lyrics on them! :wave:

SoFlaTrojan
09-02-2013, 12:25 PM
I would have bought some of these, if they had been displayed on Saturday.

http://troy.bncollege.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Troy_University_Tumbler/ProductDisplay?parentCatId=40361&imageId=359331&level=&graphicId=LGO&categoryId=40486&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11552&productId=400000011322&topCatId=40350

Chasin170
09-02-2013, 12:29 PM
I'd say FREE cups by any stretch is a good deal,even if you couldn't catch a 10 inning game with them.

SoFlaTrojan
09-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Troy is losing a lot of marketing power by dropping the durable cups. And they aren't really free. They come with expensive drinks.

SOTStrumpet
09-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I would have bought some of these, if they had been displayed on Saturday.

http://troy.bncollege.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Troy_University_Tumbler/ProductDisplay?parentCatId=40361&imageId=359331&level=&graphicId=LGO&categoryId=40486&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11552&productId=400000011322&topCatId=40350

I think those are the ones with the fight song on the back. They're awesome!

SoFlaTrojan
09-02-2013, 12:36 PM
BTW, I just tried to buy six "maroon" Troy plastic cups at $3.99 each. Shipping cost is listed at $6.99. Not, bad, I thought, until checkout when I realized the bookstore charges $6.99 per item! NOT!

ScreenTech has two styles of cups, at $23 each. Nope.

http://www.screentechstore.com/troy/search.php?mode=search&page=1

trojanchad
09-02-2013, 12:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uhG678C.jpg

I said I wouldn't do this, but what the what.

On the left a recent durable everlasting Trojan cup. In the middle a visually stunning and environmentally friendly Trojan cup. Notice how the sponsor graphics become part of the design and are not thrown in with cheap white backgrounds. On the right a cup from a Nationals game 3 years ago. Now THAT is some cheap drinkware, but hey, it holds up.

On the far right a coffee tin from Cafe du Monde now being used to hold kitchen utensils. It's ok if you want to Pinterest that and take the credit.

Hemi Man
09-02-2013, 12:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uhG678C.jpg

I said I wouldn't do this, but what the what.

On the left a recent durable everlasting Trojan cup. In the middle a visually stunning and environmentally friendly Trojan cup. Notice how the sponsor graphics become part of the design and are not thrown in with cheap white backgrounds. On the right a cup from a Nationals game 3 years ago. Now THAT is some cheap drinkware, but hey, it holds up.

On the far right a coffee tin from Cafe du Monde now being used to hold kitchen utensils. It's ok if you want to Pinterest that and take the credit.

Will they hold up over time to weekly stirring of your coke?

trojanchad
09-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Will they hold up over time to weekly stirring of your coke?

Might want to play it safe and stir with a plastic spork.

trojanchad
09-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Troy is losing a lot of marketing power by dropping the durable cups.

But in another way our marketing has never been so powerful...

http://i.imgur.com/wZVNOby.jpg

dgoebel
09-02-2013, 01:04 PM
I took advantage of the $2 refills....a lot!!! The intro video was outstanding IMO

trojanchad
09-02-2013, 01:08 PM
I took advantage of the $2 refills....a lot!!! The intro video was outstanding IMO

Video was great. I liked our player introductions on screen as well - even though it seemed like there was an audio glitch at the start.

Also I LOVED the fact that our PA was not announcing scores from other games. I hate giving the part time fans a chance to cheer for their other team. The only game that matters is the one going on in front of you (with the exception of late season games with conference implications). Part time fans can check their phones like the gamblers have to.

Jericho Johnny
09-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Folks are being flippant here, as usual, but I agree with you SoFlaTrojan, the cups are disappointing. I actually just got them out of the car and threw them away.

It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to get a cup in the stadium that has more substance to it. I already complained about this in another thread after the game, though just as a minor aside.

I distinguish between cups purchased at the bookstore, etc. and those got incidentally at the game. I'm not really in the habit of purchasing "novelty" drinkware, and outside of maybe a Tervis tumbler or a coffee mug, I wouldn't pay for a proper set of plastic cups (unless maybe I was going to use them for a tailgate or something). It was just nice getting the substantial cups from the games, using them for a year or two, and then throwing them away. Using the word "souvenir" for a plastic cup served with some soda is pushing the bounds of the meaning of the word anyway, but it was a nice little thing to takeaway and remind you of a given season.

I guess you could still display one of these in your TROY room if you're into that sort of thing.

Priam
09-02-2013, 02:03 PM
This is the stupidest subject ever to be argued on this forum.

Anyone who has nothing better to do than complain about an ef'ing cup has a very small world in which they live, and must have difficulty making it through a day without having a nervous breakdown when the slightest adversity arises.

If another team's fans come over to this site and see this argument, they'll laugh their a$$es off at how pathetic and petty some of our fans are.

Just another case of "what's in it for me" fans who don't want to see Troy's bottom line improve, but instead want to know what the hell they're going to get back from the University for their measly 2 or 3 dollars.

If one of your big expectations is to get a new plastic cup for every soft drink you buy in the stadium, then you're obviously collecting them so you have a matching set of cups at home, for when you're hosting your big dinner party, with the hope of impressing the boss so you get that big promotion.

Good Grief!:paperbag:

Brotherofanalum
09-02-2013, 02:49 PM