PDA

View Full Version : Band travel update

SOTStrumpet
08-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Update:

All away games are now pep band only. Still no final word on whether or not we will travel to Duke. There is a possibility that we will be an exhibition band at a high school marching band festival during the Duke game (this is how we recruit).

TrojanWarrior418
08-06-2013, 10:13 PM
No full band on away games? How strapped for cash is the band? I figured we'd send the full SOTS to Mississippi State, Georgia State and Ole Miss at the least. Those are one day trips if you push it hard enough.

TrojanFanatic
08-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Even one day trips cost 50K plus, then you have to figure in costs for pep band, basketball pep band, and recruitment trips

tntrojan
08-07-2013, 09:10 PM
No Georgia State either? Disappointed.

troy4ever21
08-07-2013, 09:53 PM
We used to take pride being one of the only Sun Belt bands that sends their full band to away games.

SOTStrumpet
08-07-2013, 11:23 PM
No Georgia State either? Disappointed.

Our original plan was to take full band to GSU, but I believe that changed due to that game being their HC game.

SOTStrumpet
08-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Unfortunately, money runs everything in the world today. It's cheaper for us to take THREE pep band trips than it is for us to take ONE full band trip. I wish we could take the full band to EVERY game, but if the funds aren't there, we can't. :sad010:

TroyTuba
08-11-2013, 06:16 AM
When the AD requests the pep band be at nearly every game, including games that had no type of bands making the trip originally, options begin to run out - so does the money. SEC teams charge the band for tickets to the games - somewhere around $50 per seat and the full band would require around 425 tickets or so. That makes those games difficult.

TrojanWarrior418
08-11-2013, 05:37 PM
The football team does tend to play a bit better when the band is there. I just wish it was the full band making a lot of the trips because that is nice representation of the University. Plus, I'd love to blow the fans away in Oxford, Starkville, and Durham.

Spiritual_Trojan
08-13-2013, 02:10 PM
My first year '06 in band the full band went to four away games plus the bowl game. It was an awesome experience and the team does seem to pay better with an extra couple hundred rabid fans in the stands.

I think some of the things that have changed from mostly full band to mostly/exclusivity pep band trips are:
1) More people in the band. More people means more food cost, per diem, more ticket cost.
2) Costs for charter buses go up with fuel cost and if I'm not mistaken usually stay up even after fuel goes down.
3) A few years ago some of Troy Universities state funding was cut which means that there was less of the pie to go around.

All that being said, even the Pep band can blow away most college bands.

newnan trojan
08-16-2013, 11:39 AM
That's really disappointing! I was looking forward to the full band at GSU... Heck it's only a 2.5 hour drive. Geez!

tsusax94
08-16-2013, 12:43 PM
That's really disappointing! I was looking forward to the full band at GSU... Heck it's only a 2.5 hour drive. Geez!

Bring the band to the Georgia Dome!! Let'm play in the stands. We'll go watch them do their show in the parking lot or something.

Trojans1andAll
08-18-2013, 07:57 AM
How well will the recruiting go when kids realize the band never leaves Troy?

TrojanFanatic
08-18-2013, 11:35 AM
They leave Troy, just not always the full band. The fun part of being is SOTS is the performing, if they don't perform, so those tickets were basically wasted for the full 300+ band to become a pep band.

Brotherofanalum
08-18-2013, 12:26 PM
They pay for the band's food? I understand they're college students and they work hard with band so it's not always easy to have money, but it seems like the band members would rather pay for their own food than but get to go to the game. I know that wouldnt change it to where they could go to every game but still.

TrojanFanatic
08-18-2013, 12:38 PM
The band members already pay to be in the class and a band fee

tsusax94
08-18-2013, 02:32 PM
They leave Troy, just not always the full band. The fun part of being is SOTS is the performing, if they don't perform, so those tickets were basically wasted for the full 300+ band to become a pep band.

The most absurd, horrendous, stupid, you name it, thing I have ever heard is that the band has to buy tickets to attend an away game. It is an absolute shame. Now there have been some great folks who have given money for the SOTS to go to some games. For example, I believe someone paid for the entire band to travel to Nebraska the first time. And I believe that the University has paid for some trips. (Just my belief, cause it is the greatest university in the world)
But if they are going to do that, hey, let's charge the visiting football team and visiting cheerleaders, visiting camera crew, etc. to attend.
Then the whole world would be FAIR!!!

TrojanFanatic
08-18-2013, 02:47 PM
The most absurd, horrendous, stupid, you name it, thing I have ever heard is that the band has to buy tickets to attend an away game. It is an absolute shame. Now there have been some great folks who have given money for the SOTS to go to some games. For example, I believe someone paid for the entire band to travel to Nebraska the first time. And I believe that the University has paid for some trips. (Just my belief, cause it is the greatest university in the world)
But if they are going to do that, hey, let's charge the visiting football team and visiting cheerleaders, visiting camera crew, etc. to attend.
Then the whole world would be FAIR!!!

I won't argue that fact with you, BUT it's actually smart, on the home teams side. If I was a coach/on the football team why would I want the other team to have an extra 300+ fans on their side? What about the home band not getting shown up? (i.e. Most SEC Schools) It's a deterrent to the visiting team so they have less of a shot at winning, at least, that's the way I'd put it haha

TroyTuba
08-21-2013, 08:28 AM
SEC schools are in it to make money, point blank, they will not give away tickets that they could be making money off of to a visiting band.

TrojanFanatic
08-21-2013, 09:08 PM
SEC schools are in it to make money, point blank, they will not give away tickets that they could be making money off of to a visiting band.

^^^^^ That

SOTStrumpet
08-23-2013, 12:38 AM

GSU bands will not let us perform halftime because it's their homecoming. :sad010:

SOTStrumpet
08-23-2013, 12:45 AM
How well will the recruiting go when kids realize the band never leaves Troy?

The band does leave Troy -- quite frequently, actually. We perform at three high school exhibitions each fall, two of which are outside the city limits (our form of recruiting). Every other year, there are two guaranteed full band trips (UAB and USA). In addition, we perform at the Veteran's Day parade in Montgomery.

Money is tight this year due to budgeting for the new Long Hall on campus, so the travel budget became considerably smaller.

Texas Trojan
09-07-2013, 05:45 PM
... and I am seeing the Sound less and less. Went to the last UNT game and the pep band was all I got (which was good). But when I came all the way to Knoxville from Dallas (drove) and did not even get the pep band?

SOTS is one of Troy's hottest recruiting tools. I understand a visiting team is not into giving up 300 seats for free, but that can be written into contracts by the school. That is, if Troy wants to showcase itself.

I'd bet if we talked to Nebraska about playing, they'd insist we bring the Sound.

We're missing an opportunity here ...

TrojanFanatic
09-07-2013, 05:56 PM
... and I am seeing the Sound less and less. Went to the last UNT game and the pep band was all I got (which was good). But when I came all the way to Knoxville from Dallas (drove) and did not even get the pep band?

SOTS is one of Troy's hottest recruiting tools. I understand a visiting team is not into giving up 300 seats for free, but that can be written into contracts by the school. That is, if Troy wants to showcase itself.

I'd bet if we talked to Nebraska about playing, they'd insist we bring the Sound.

We're missing an opportunity here ...

We have a hard enough time getting OOC games, we'd never get one if we ask for 350-400 tickets.

TroyTuba
09-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Believe me, the band wants to travel and the kids do too, but it is unfortunate that we are not able to travel with the full band this year to any games - except a bowl game. This is an exception and not the norm. By the way, we were NEVER going to Nebraska until someone with deep pockets gave the university the money needed for us to travel to that game that year. The AD wants our presence at more games and without our budget increasing, that means less full band trips so that some form of band can be at more games.