PDA

View Full Version : Newman Center Dorms

flockofoscars
08-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Does anyone else think its idiotic that the Freedom From Religion? Go Trojans! and I hope we fight this! I am proud of Troy for not bowing down to these threats. :signs018:

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/07/freedom_from_religion_foundati_1.html

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/07/readers_support_faith-based_st.html

SOTStrumpet
08-01-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm glad the university is fighting this! I am a proud Christian student at TROY!! Faith-based dorms simply add to the diversity that the university is trying to build. It's this diversity and tolerance of diversity that creates positive, proactive environments.

dgoebel
08-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Ditto. I am so sick of these Godless Liberals. Glad to see Troy taking a stand.

TrojanWarrior418
08-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Atheists are generally miserable people who love nothing more than to make everyone else miserable around them. I hope Troy can putting a whupping on these godless Yankees. Fight them every step of the way for Trojans past, present and future.

TrojanPride87
08-02-2013, 01:36 AM
To me its sad. The reason I say that is this. I can't live in these dorms because I don't practice being a Christian and active in the faith? What if that was the only housing available, but yet I couldn't because I don't practice the faith. That may be a stretch, however the way housing is at TROY it could come into play. Plus, the university doesn't have enough housing for everyone, so I believe people that don't practice that faith be allowed to live in those dorms. I have known many students not get housing because there isn't anymore, but now we are limiting where people can stay.

redwaver
08-02-2013, 06:19 AM
To me its sad. The reason I say that is this. I can't live in these dorms because I don't practice being a Christian and active in the faith? What if that was the only housing available, but yet I couldn't because I don't practice the faith. That may be a stretch, however the way housing is at TROY it could come into play. Plus, the university doesn't have enough housing for everyone, so I believe people that don't practice that faith be allowed to live in those dorms. I have known many students not get housing because there isn't anymore, but now we are limiting where people can stay.
Do you feel the same about the fraternity/serority houses? Don't the university own those buildings at Troy? Wasn't state money used? I couldnt stay there unless I was a member. The difference? Why is it that Christians are always the ones expected to yield? Maybe instead of thinking Christian students don't have a right to a dorm paid for by non state funds, you might understand that without that agreement those dorms would not exist. That's a better idea? Really? Having those dorms funded by a religious organization DOES assist those not practicing a faith by opening up other rooms normally used by tjese Christian students.

TrojanPride87
08-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Considering I'm in a fraternity that isn't allowed to have a house, I really could careless. Have you noticed all buildings that have to do with faith are Christian based. Other religions yield to Christians as well;because Christians are always pushing its faith down others throat. Actually it really doesn't open up space; not by a whole lot though.

redwaver
08-02-2013, 08:16 AM
considering i'm in a fraternity that isn't allowed to have a house, i really could careless. Have you noticed all buildings that have to do with faith are christian based. Other religions yield to christians as well;because christians are always pushing its faith down others throat. Actually it really doesn't open up space; not by a whole lot though.
really?

troy4ever21
08-02-2013, 09:09 AM
They'll be over priced and ruined within a semester just like Trojan Village.

troy4ever21
08-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Considering I'm in a fraternity that isn't allowed to have a house, I really could careless. Have you noticed all buildings that have to do with faith are Christian based. Other religions yield to Christians as well;because Christians are always pushing its faith down others throat. Actually it really doesn't open up space; not by a whole lot though.

This.

redwaver
08-02-2013, 09:21 AM
They'll be over priced and ruined within a semester just like Trojan Village.
Can't speak to "overpriced" because that is a generalization and what's overpriced to one might not be to another but I bet the dorms will be better cared for than normal. JMHO!

redwaver
08-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Interesting, at 72 years young I can never once remember having "religion push down my throat".....anywhere but then I'm a big boy and know how to walk away should I choose!

flockofoscars
08-02-2013, 12:02 PM

Hey I know for a Fact that the Newman Dorms are FAITH based not Christian. We are in the USA where most the population is Christian BUT i know that for a fact some International guys are living there. 4 guys I know and 1 girl. Two are Muslim, Two are Buddhist, and one is Jewish so don't go telling me that all the Faith based organizations are Christian exclusively. I work at Pace Hall 20 hours a week and there are Tons of opportunities for these students to practice their religion. There are many dorms that have requirements due to that being GPA, international, athlete, male, female, etc. So why in the hell can Religious people not get a dorm? it is absurd and people who do not see that are either not informed, arrogant, or just one of those from the religion of Atheism. They did a poll on campus where 83% of students support the Faith dorms so how can the minority make the biggest noise? Go Trojans and fight hard for the students who want to live among those who have strong faith. People who are so ignorant make me sick. :sick016:

TrojanPride87
08-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Religion and Fraternity are totally different; its like comparing apples to oranges. Considering you're 72 and not 26, things have changed over time. I'm not saying the university is pushing it down our throats; i'm saying in general life it has. Also, I have a opinion just like all of you and I'm sure you are all pissed by what I said; but you'll get over it. All I am saying is I think everyone should be allowed to live in that dorm and not just people that have the Christian faith, or study religion.

redwaver
08-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Hey I know for a Fact that the Newman Dorms are FAITH based not Christian. We are in the USA where most the population is Christian BUT i know that for a fact some International guys are living there. 4 guys I know and 1 girl. Two are Muslim, Two are Buddhist, and one is Jewish so don't go telling me that all the Faith based organizations are Christian exclusively. I work at Pace Hall 20 hours a week and there are Tons of opportunities for these students to practice their religion. There are many dorms that have requirements due to that being GPA, international, athlete, male, female, etc. So why in the hell can Religious people not get a dorm? it is absurd and people who do not see that are either not informed, arrogant, or just one of those from the religion of Atheism. They did a poll on campus where 83% of students support the Faith dorms so how can the minority make the biggest noise? Go Trojans and fight hard for the students who want to live among those who have strong faith. People who are so ignorant make me sick. :sick016:
Well said! It seems under our current leadership in Washington, the loud minority are the ones pushing things "down throats", ie Obamacare! Most housing facilities have limitations. In my day it was boys only or girl only dorms. Freshmen only dorms. Then there was athletic wings. I think I saw where Pace Hall is now International. What's the difference? Why the hangup on Christians? Don't they enjoy rights as well? Atheist seem to resent anyone who decides to believe. I will be glad to let them do the same. Judging them is not MY responsibility.

flockofoscars
08-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Religion and Fraternity are totally different; its like comparing apples to oranges. Considering you're 72 and not 26, things have changed over time. I'm not saying the university is pushing it down our throats; i'm saying in general life it has. Also, I have a opinion just like all of you and I'm sure you are all pissed by what I said; but you'll get over it. All I am saying is I think everyone should be allowed to live in that dorm and not just people that have the Christian faith, or study religion.

You really don't piss me off bud lol I am 20! and yes you have the right to an opinion but it is an opinion which needs to be better informed lol but I do know there are an amount of people who believe what you say but what has happened is that people are trying to take religion out of everything while theory's in science are perfectly welcome lol its just another requirement for a dorm which the Newman Center is allowed to set because they payed for a ton of it which was private and not State money. Your allowed to your opinion but get a little better informed. Since a private organization payed for a substantial amount of the cost they are allowed to make requirements which is why they created these in the first place. This is how it was legal. GO TROJANS!

flockofoscars
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM

The only thing that bothered me was that you put Redwaver down because of his age. 72 or 18 you can still be plenty informed and also have a strong opinion. I hate when i see an older man have a point and then some guy acts like he has no validation because "hes just old". Sometimes they are the best opinions and some changes over time were good but don't say all changes have been towards the positive lol again remember im probably a fair bit younger then you at 20

redwaver
08-02-2013, 12:43 PM
So you are saying Fraternities and Sororities don't fall under the same rules as Christian based facilities. Why? Especially since many of their facilities are owned and paid for by the university and the dorm under discussion is paid from gifts from faith based organizations. So you nor any if your kinfolk have one dime invested in it so why do folks who think ad you do think you get to set the standards of usage? Oh, trust me young man, I'm not "pissed" at you, I'm way above sinking to that level and "getting over it" is not a issue. I've gotten over more important things than you and your opinions more times than you can count. It's always the same, when non believers don't get their way, they resort to anger and frustration. Oh, after watching the mess being made out of this once great country of ours, being 50 years older than you is not something I take as a negative even though the inference was I was out if touch with today's thinking. Well if I am, that's a good thing!

RCTtrojans
08-02-2013, 01:39 PM
It's a sticky situation because we're talking about faith-based dorms at a public university. The fact that arguments are occurring over dorms is, in and of itself, troublesome. Housing shouldn't be controversial. Now, I have no problem with people having easy access to church/religious leaders. I think everyone here knows that religion plays a major aspect in the lives of many students at Troy. That's inherently part of Alabama. However, an increasing number of students at Troy have no religion, I being one of them. Ignoring a minority, well, leads to controversy.

Anyway, the dorms don't really bother me. I'm pretty apathetic about it all since I know it won't affect me. I just find it interesting that Troy would decide to do it. A lot of people, including several of my friends, are really unhappy about Newman Center.

Also, requirement 6 seems...odd: http://trojan.troy.edu/housing/dorms/newman.html

"Preference will be given to students who maintain an active spiritual lifestyle and maintain an active engagement in a campus faith based organization."

dgoebel
08-08-2013, 11:23 AM
#1 you don't have to be Catholic or Christian to live there. You do have to agree to maintain a certain GPA, agree to no alcohol or drugs, and do community service each semester. Students who don't drink or do drugs and maintain their studies should have a right to a dorm like that. You can join a fraternity or sorority and live in that house, it's not for everyone, the same way this dorm is not for everyone.

BuzzkillTrojan08
08-08-2013, 02:11 PM
#1 you don't have to be Catholic or Christian to live there. You do have to agree to maintain a certain GPA, agree to no alcohol or drugs, and do community service each semester. Students who don't drink or do drugs and maintain their studies should have a right to a dorm like that. You can join a fraternity or sorority and live in that house, it's not for everyone, the same way this dorm is not for everyone.

This.

Nowhere has anyone stated that you had to be a Christian to live in the Newman Center, and if they did, they were incorrect. Nor is anyone being forced to live in it. This dorm is basically just like the Honors Cottage, Paden House and Hillcrest House; it provides an alternative to typical college living, regardless of your religious views. If you enjoy typical college living, then hit up any of the other dorms on campus.