PDA

View Full Version : I did not know this was here

PCTrojan15
07-06-2013, 09:18 AM
I am a current student at Troy. I have been viewing these message boards since i arrived. I never knew ya'll had created a student section. Very nice, have to publicize it more, to get more students on here

TrojanFanatic
07-06-2013, 10:22 AM
tell your friends about it! Seems like this site isn't popular among most students, they don't know about it

RCTtrojans
07-09-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm a student too. I accidentally stumbled upon this message board when I was looking up off-season information on Troy athletics. With the school year over, I started suffering from Troy sports withdrawals.

PCTrojan15
07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
we need to get more students involved. as many of the alumni on here can tell, they also look at student support when deciding to send out conference invitations:confused013:

RCTtrojans
07-10-2013, 05:51 PM
We have to find a way to fill up the new arena. I went to just about every home game, and the arena was almost always so empty. Even big-time conference games against Arkansas State (what a great game) and Middle TN were not anywhere near a packed house.

I think our football attendance is decent, and our baseball games usually have a somewhat decent crowd. However, for the most part, many Troy students aren't excited for any gameday other than football.

TrojanFanatic
07-10-2013, 06:08 PM
I just graduated in May, and I agree. Here's the thing though, we're not in Basketball country. I absolutely hate watching basketball games, it's just a dull sport to me. Baseball and football I can watch all day long.

RCTtrojans
07-10-2013, 06:20 PM
I find the NBA to be rather boring, but I can watch college basketball all day long. There's something thrilling to me about a game that is so short. Most games seemed to only last about an hour and 45 minutes or so. But yeah, I totally understand that most people around here have no interest in college basketball. I just hoped the new arena would make more people give it a shot. Maybe Cunningham can bring some campus excitement to the program. I don't know. I don't really have any idea what typical crowds were like when Troy's basketball team was successful.

redwaver
07-10-2013, 06:31 PM
We have to find a way to fill up the new arena. I went to just about every home game, and the arena was almost always so empty. Even big-time conference games against Arkansas State (what a great game) and Middle TN were not anywhere near a packed house.

I think our football attendance is decent, and our baseball games usually have a somewhat decent crowd. However, for the most part, many Troy students aren't excited for any gameday other than football.
That is the most obvious shortcoming we exhibit since moving to DI. Troy has always been a suitcase college/university and its sad. My recollections of my college years are best remembered on weekends even though it was sooooo evacuated. We have got to change that it we ever intend to really stake claim to being a BIG BOY/GIRL university!!

PCTrojan15
07-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I know, it really does, for lack of a better word, suck that some students just do not care about the university that they attend. We need to get more school pride, but also more things in the city to make students want to stay here.. maybe legalize draft beer...:eatdrink004:

RCTtrojans
07-10-2013, 08:37 PM
I know, it really does, for lack of a better word, suck that some students just do not care about the university that they attend. We need to get more school pride, but also more things in the city to make students want to stay here.. maybe legalize draft beer...:eatdrink004:

Not to mention update the Walmart (that place is eerie) and add in some good pregame restaurants. Almost every restaurant in Troy is fast food. I know some places have made an attempt or are making an attempt, but I can't even count the number of times I've heard someone say, "There's nowhere good to eat at in Troy." Troy, the town, is in desperate need of some revitalization.

PCTrojan15
07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
It is hard because of the city council, they fear anything new. and i agree with the walmart thing. like if we had a hooters/bww, that would make an amazing post game place.

redwaver
07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Troy is what it is. As a student, the fact that beer was not available on campus didn't effect my enjoyment of weekends there. Just never understood why beer/alcohol is/was so needed in order to have fun. Being sober was more fun to me than seeing the pain some buddies suffered being drunk but to each his/her own. However, I'm not sure all the beer in Germany would keep a majority of kids on campus. I could be wrong though. Just participating in all the campus activities with friends should be sufficient to have an enjoyable time. I know, I'm an old foggie but I have never had to have help to get back to my dorm though!:laughing021:

PCTrojan15
07-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I haven't either. I believe it goes to what me and my dad saw and learned. A lot of the people here are "me-centered", as in the fact that they only care about their self and what they can get rather than what would be great for everyone else, add in some anti-socialization that sets in and it makes for a not fun place

redwaver
07-10-2013, 08:46 PM
I see your point and agree that better restaurants and hotels would help but truth is when games are not being played, residents just don't seem to support these establishments enough to stay in business. Why fast foods? That's where the students go!

RCTtrojans
07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I see your point and agree that better restaurants and hotels would help but truth is when games are not being played, residents just don't seem to support these establishments enough to stay in business. Why fast foods? That's where the students go!

Always a long line at the McDonald's drive-thru, no matter the time of day

PCTrojan15
07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Oh yeah it is. Taco Bell and McDonalds and now Chick-fil-a, they make a great profit:confused013:

redwaver
07-10-2013, 08:51 PM
It is hard because of the city council, they fear anything new. and i agree with the walmart thing. like if we had a hooters/bww, that would make an amazing post game place.
These businesses can't survive on just post game gatherings even though I wish they could because I agree with you. Now Hooters might not be the family oriented restaurant you would want but maybe the thinking is for students only and that becomes part of the problem again. The businesses have to attract all patrons and Troy being so small has a problem providing that especially on a non game day basis.

PCTrojan15
07-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Yeah it does. They need to find businesses that would thrive durin the school year and summer. :bounce012:

redwaver
07-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Always a long line at the McDonald's drive-thru, no matter the time of day
Yep, and I'm not sure those cars would choose a upscale restaurant were it right next door. These types of businesses have to have a consistent clientele to stay in business.

RCTtrojans
07-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Yep, and I'm not sure those cars would choose a upscale restaurant were it right next door. These types of businesses have to have a consistent clientele to stay in business.

I definitely agree. Maybe a place will come in here and stick. However, some things about Troy do need to change, or else the town will continue to crumble into disrepair.

PCTrojan15
07-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Yes they do, now a BWW, would be a nice, family place to go. Also, would serve well in the summer with such things like the NBA finals, MMA fights, and baseball. However, we also need to look outside the food aspect and also look at the fact that all we really have for entertainment is a movie theater, and that is about it. Pike Co. lake is fun, but its just a paint to drive there. We need more entertainment in the city to help keep people here longer and on the weekends :angry013:

redwaver
07-10-2013, 09:32 PM
I definitely agree. Maybe a place will come in here and stick. However, some things about Troy do need to change, or else the town will continue to crumble into disrepair.
You are right on that point! Our problem is our town is small and to make things worse, it goes into farms very quickly after leaving the city thus no people in great numbers. Some folks, me included, likes the smallness of Troy and can live with the shortcomings but I realize some folks want some big city benefits in a small town and that's a problem. Businesses come to areas where they can make a profit every day, day in say out. I like the idea of a nice restaurant that supports student gatherings yet is family oriented. In other college towns I've seen Italian restaurants, Bar-B-Que restaurants and Chicken/Wings restaurant be successful because they went above and beyond providing TV's and college related activities. I would like to see EVERY restaurant in town require the wearing if Troy gear on game days if you intend to work that day. I told my favorite restaurant last year I would not support them again if I saw Alabama or Auburn gear on workers on game day. Agree or not, that's my stance and I will stick to it.

Hemi Man
07-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Have you guys tried Trojan Zone? I personally like the wings a lot. They are right up there with BWW in my opinion. They have several Troy themed adult beverages. It is operated by a former Trojan basketball player.

redwaver
07-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Have you guys tried Trojan Zone? I personally like the wings a lot. They are right up there with BWW in my opinion. They have several Troy themed adult beverages. It is operated by a former Trojan basketball player.
Nope but I will August 31st!:-)

PCTrojan15
07-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Trojan Zone is really good. Love their boneless wings!

TrojanFanatic
07-11-2013, 08:51 AM
I had Trojan Zone once, it was good, but good grief I was here for two hours waiting to get food. (It was soon after they opened, so I excused it) The thing about a "sit down" restaurant is that they are expensive, and most college kids have no reason to go more than once a week. I went on a date to Ruby Tuesday and dropped 40 bucks for an app, two meals and two sweet teas. that was 40 bucks that could've went to books, tuition, fees, supplies, or gas.

Someone mentioned that the students are all about "me" and there's a reason. A lot of parents I see, and I see a lot just around town, they tell the kids, "What's in it for you. What will they give YOU." People are telling their kids to worry about them and only them. No one wants to be a team player because that means someone has to sit on the bench, everyone wants to be the star. Culture shift

PCTrojan15
07-11-2013, 08:33 PM
My time there has been great. Good service and food was out on time

dgoebel
07-13-2013, 09:37 AM
The biggest complaint my wife has is that there is nowhere other than waffle house to eat breakfast on Sun morning after the game. Julia's is a buffet and waffle house gets schetchy and you get sick of egg mcmuffins, Hardees bisquits and Burger King..

TFan
07-13-2013, 01:25 PM
The biggest complaint my wife has is that there is nowhere other than waffle house to eat breakfast on Sun morning after the game. Julia's is a buffet and waffle house gets schetchy and you get sick of egg mcmuffins, Hardees bisquits and Burger King..

The wife and I prefer Huddle House to Waffle House. Located just SOuth of WalMart in the Mikada Plaza.

Trojan Fanatic "beefed" about $$$ at Ruby Tuesday's. Have you tried the new relocated The Brick?? Prices>>> exhorbitant AND no wings appetizer by the #'s. ie, 10 for $$$, 20 for $$$ or 36 for $$$. Just a Wing Entree. The sauces are very good tho'.

Took two biz friends to lunch there recently > $33.00 tab for 3 Hamburgers, one side each and three ice teas. $33.00, NOT including the tip!!

The "surf & turf" (steak & shrimp) at The Brick = $24.00; "surf & turf) at Ruby's = $15.95 INCLUDING salad bar. Ruby's is the Coconut shrimp which are better than Outback's!

Other "gems" in Troy, Mikada's, i never liked sushi 'till i had theirs. Very, very good, great presentation and huge selection >> moderately expensive when you add it all up tho'. WE do not personally enjoy the Chop, chop entertainment hibachi room tho'.

The Lunch buffets at both Julia's daily and Sister's (Thurs & Friday only) are a huge selection, AYCE and are $10 per head, Tax , Tag & title.

The appetizers, wings and burgers at the Courtyard/Marriott Lobby are surprisingly good too.

The weekday Pizza Buffet at Pizza Hut is Salad + Pizza Bar, AYCE for about $10 including beverage.

Half Shell and Crowe's are two locally owned establishments which do well in their markets. The Half shell often has a wait at lunch and dinner during their busy season..

I hear the Friday night steaks at The Wagon Wheel at US 231 and AL 10 in Brundidge are very good. Charcoal grilled, they Old Fashioned way!

Students can complain all you want, but the best deal in town is YOUR "new" dining hall. Dam near inaccessible for non-campus public. When it's accessible, the only section open for biz is staff side only. When the dining hall opened, with the forced meal plan, Troy lost several dining establishments BTW.

Troy University is NOT the primary target of successful eating establishments here, the hungry traveller on US 231 is #1!!!

TrojanFanatic
07-13-2013, 01:45 PM
The wife and I prefer Huddle House to Waffle House. Located just SOuth of WalMart in the Mikada Plaza.

Trojan Fanatic "beefed" about $$$ at Ruby Tuesday's. Have you tried the new relocated The Brick?? Prices>>> exhorbitant AND no wings appetizer by the #'s. ie, 10 for $$$, 20 for $$$ or 36 for $$$. Just a Wing Entree. The sauces are very good tho'.

Took two biz friends to lunch there recently > $33.00 tab for 3 Hamburgers, one side each and three ice teas. $33.00, NOT including the tip!!

The "surf & turf" (steak & shrimp) at The Brick = $24.00; "surf & turf) at Ruby's = $15.95 INCLUDING salad bar. Ruby's is the Coconut shrimp which are better than Outback's!

Other "gems" in Troy, Mikada's, i never liked sushi 'till i had theirs. Very, very good, great presentation and huge selection >> moderately expensive when you add it all up tho'. WE do not personally enjoy the Chop, chop entertainment hibachi room tho'.

The Lunch buffets at both Julia's daily and Sister's (Thurs & Friday only) are a huge selection, AYCE and are $10 per head, Tax , Tag & title.

The appetizers, wings and burgers at the Courtyard/Marriott Lobby are surprisingly good too.

The weekday Pizza Buffet at Pizza Hut is Salad + Pizza Bar, AYCE for about $10 including beverage.

Half Shell and Crowe's are two locally owned establishments which do well in their markets. The Half shell often has a wait at lunch and dinner during their busy season..

I hear the Friday night steaks at The Wagon Wheel at US 231 and AL 10 in Brundidge are very good. Charcoal grilled, they Old Fashioned way!

Students can complain all you want, but the best deal in town is YOUR "new" dining hall. Dam near inaccessible for non-campus public. When it's accessible, the only section open for biz is staff side only. When the dining hall opened, with the forced meal plan, Troy lost several dining establishments BTW.

Troy University is NOT the primary target of successful eating establishments here, the hungry traveller on US 231 is #1!!!

I don't disagree with anything you said, honestly. I do complain about Ruby Tuesday, and I've never eaten at the Brick for the reason you said. I can't afford RT but less the Brick. I've had both Sisters and Julias and they are truly delicious. How much would it hurt to have a hamburger joint that you can go in and get everything that you talked about? Pizza is good, but there's three places in Troy. AYCE is good too, when students can get there/know about it. I know that the restaurants are for the travelers on 231 more than the students. All I asked for, as a student, was something that was different, not pizza, McDonalds, SAGA, for reasonable prices.

Anyone familiar with Crestview, Fl. I'm thinking something like Coney Island.