PDA

View Full Version : SE Baseball Regional Projections - May 24

Troy87
05-24-2013, 03:15 PM
As of today, Troy is still looking like the #2 in Tallahassee.
USA is #2 in Starkville
UL is #2 in Baton Rouge
FAU is #3 in Columbia S.C.

That is a solid line up of Sun Belt schools representing!

And let's not forget the oh so revered CUSA.......howe many teams do they have projected going to the Regionals?

Yep.....Only 2. Rice & Houston.

Rice as #2 seed, Houston as #3 seed. :rollinglaugh:

They're so awesome :rolleyes:

TrojanFanatic
05-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Same match-ups as before? Us playing the Gators to start?

tenaciousT
05-24-2013, 08:30 PM
I am not sold on FAU making it in unless they win the tourney.

If FAU wins it is almost automatic that we get 4 in.

dgoebel
05-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Doesn't it hurt our cause being reg. season champs and then going 1-2 in the tourney?

Hemi Man
05-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Doesn't it hurt our cause being reg. season champs and then going 1-2 in the tourney?

Doesn't really help or hurt anything in my opinion. We were 1-2 in the conference tournament, and 20-10 in the regular season in the 5th best conference in the nation. That's out of 32 conferences playing baseball. Which should carry more weight? Your overall body of work through the season, in a very good conference, or the tournament?

dgoebel
05-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Doesn't really help or hurt anything in my opinion. We were 1-2 in the conference tournament, and 20-10 in the regular season in the 5th best conference in the nation. That's out of 32 conferences playing baseball. Which should carry more weight? Your overall body of work through the season, in a very good conference, or the tournament?

In some ways the tourney. I mean you could be a 15-30 team in the reg season but if you win the tourney, you go to the tournament. IMO in hurt us by going 1-2, I guess we will see when they make the announcement.

dgoebel
05-25-2013, 08:14 AM

In some ways the tourney. I mean you could be a 15-30 team in the reg season but if you win the tourney, you go to the tournament. IMO it hurt us by going 1-2, I guess we will see when they make the announcement.

Hemi Man
05-25-2013, 09:02 AM
In some ways the tourney. I mean you could be a 15-30 team in the reg season but if you win the tourney, you go to the tournament. IMO it hurt us by going 1-2, I guess we will see when they make the announcement.

We weren't 15-30. We were regular season champions. What would we gain if we won the tournament? We weren't going to move up to a 1 seed if we had won the tournament. Now we may end up a 3 seed, but who knows. Did you listen to or watch the games?

I believe we approached the tournament in a very smart and level headed way. I think we went into it playing to win, but also resting some people and not overworking anyone. We weren't going to over extend out pitching staff, or burn out our players on trying to win a tournament that couldn't advance our seeding in the tournament. I think our team was emotionally and physically drained after the big series win at SoBama. Arriving home at 1am Sunday morning and leaving for Lafayette Monday at lunch. I believe our staff and team approached this tournament in exactly the right way. Play to win, but do it wisely. Always keeping the bigger picture in your sights.

Now let's look at SoBama. They are playing for a potential host in the regionals. Although it is a long shot. FAU was a bubble team and wanted to secure a bid, so they certainly had something to prove. ULL is at home and wanting to put on good showing at home. FAU pitched their starters pretty deep and used the same two relievers in both games. Now if they need those guys in the 3rd or 4th game of their regional, how much will those guys have left in the tank. ULL had a guy pitch a complete game against SoBama in a 9-2 victory. Will he have anything to give late in the regional after his start if necessary? I'm not saying the approach used by these teams are wrong. Their circumstances are different than ours. I'm just saying I really like the way w approached the tournament.

dgoebel
05-25-2013, 09:28 AM
We weren't 15-30. We were regular season champions. What would we gain if we won the tournament? We weren't going to move up to a 1 seed if we had won the tournament. Now we may end up a 3 seed, but who knows. Did you listen to or watch the games?

I believe we approached the tournament in a very smart and level headed way. I think we went into it playing to win, but also resting some people and not overworking anyone. We weren't going to over extend out pitching staff, or burn out our players on trying to win a tournament that couldn't advance our seeding in the tournament. I think our team was emotionally and physically drained after the big series win at SoBama. Arriving home at 1am Sunday morning and leaving for Lafayette Monday at lunch. I believe our staff and team approached this tournament in exactly the right way. Play to win, but do it wisely. Always keeping the bigger picture in your sights.

Now let's look at SoBama. They are playing for a potential host in the regionals. Although it is a long shot. FAU was a bubble team and wanted to secure a bid, so they certainly had something to prove. ULL is at home and wanting to put on good showing at home. FAU pitched their starters pretty deep and used the same two relievers in both games. Now if they need those guys in the 3rd or 4th game of their regional, how much will those guys have left in the tank. ULL had a guy pitch a complete game against SoBama in a 9-2 victory. Will he have anything to give late in the regional after his start if necessary? I'm not saying the approach used by these teams are wrong. Their circumstances are different than ours. I'm just saying I really like the way w approached the tournament.

I can't say either way on an opinion on how we approached the tournament. I just made a reference to a point that the tournament can carry as much clout as the reg. season if you win the tournament. I am hoping that we get an invite, which I think we deserve. I do know one thing, we don't want the Nashville one, that puts us up against the #1 team in the country, Vanderbilt. I hope we can go againt UF here, they are a very up and down team and if you catch them down, we could take them.

Hemi Man
05-25-2013, 09:45 AM
I can't say either way on an opinion on how we approached the tournament. I just made a reference to a point that the tournament can carry as much clout as the reg. season if you win the tournament. I am hoping that we get an invite, which I think we deserve. I do know one thing, we don't want the Nashville one, that puts us up against the #1 team in the country, Vanderbilt. I hope we can go againt UF here, they are a very up and down team and if you catch them down, we could take them.

So you didn't watch, listen to, or follow live stats for any game, correct? I bet you have no idea who our Friday, Saturday, or Sunday starters are. You are correct that if you win the tournament you receive the automatic bid. However, if Troy were the 8th seed and found a way to win the tournament, you would be the first one on here complaining why couldn't we play like that alll season. Its a no win situation with you. The reason you can't form an opinion on our approach is that you haven't followed the tournament or season other than the scoreboard.

LAZebra
05-25-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm with Hemi. We have the best coaching staff in the Sun Belt. They are better than the staff at either SEC school in this state. They out-coached the USA staff last weekend and they had a big picture approach this week in the tournament. If we had remained in the winners bracket, we would have had two less games to play to win the tourney. This team has more potential to win a regional than any Troy team in a long time, maybe ever. Our coaches realize this and are working to give them every possible chance.

dgoebel
05-25-2013, 11:24 AM
So you didn't watch, listen to, or follow live stats for any game, correct? I bet you have no idea who our Friday, Saturday, or Sunday starters are. You are correct that if you win the tournament you receive the automatic bid. However, if Troy were the 8th seed and found a way to win the tournament, you would be the first one on here complaining why couldn't we play like that alll season. Its a no win situation with you. The reason you can't form an opinion on our approach is that you haven't followed the tournament or season other than the scoreboard.

You are correct I couldn't drive 11 hours to La La land or sit by a computer listening to the game. What you are incorrect on is questioning my support of Troy.

TFan
05-25-2013, 11:40 AM

We CERTAINLY did not overextend our hitters or burn them out either, suppose we are saving our BATS for LAST???

LAZebra
05-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Some of you want to apply a football mentality to this. Baseball is a different animal. In football you play once a week and pull out all the stops to win every game. In post-season baseball you cannot do that and expect to be successful over the long haul. That does not mean that the players in a given game do not go all out to win. Anyone who has followed and watched this team closely, knows that our players give maximum effort every game.

Hemi Man
05-25-2013, 12:02 PM
You are correct I couldn't drive 11 hours to La La land or sit by a computer listening to the game. What you are incorrect on is questioning my support of Troy.

I haven't questioned your support of Troy. I did question how much you knew about this team.

Hemi Man
05-25-2013, 12:07 PM
We CERTAINLY did not overextend our hitters or burn them out either, suppose we are saving our BATS for LAST???

The lack of offense is a concern, and there were several shakeups in the lineup as well. Coach Pierce even metioned in the postgame interview that some of the at bats seemed to be a product of fatigue.

TFan
05-25-2013, 12:13 PM
The lack of offense is a concern, and there were several shakeups in the lineup as well. Coach Pierce even metioned in the postgame interview that some of the at bats seemed to be a product of fatigue.

Tournament BA appears in the range of .231 VS Season BA of .295 for the Trojans. Coulda been a product of opponents better pitching???

Hopefully, we're saving our BEST for last!

dgoebel
05-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Tournament BA appears in the range of .231 VS Season BA of .295 for the Trojans. Coulda been a product of opponents better pitching???

Hopefully, we're saving our BEST for last!

Possibly if they are pitching better but these are the same pitchers we seen during the season. Fatigue possibly?? I do agree that you can come out flat after a big emotional win, that happens all the time ie 2004 we beat Missouri in football then loose to NMSU the next week. The only thing about the fatigue is that pro baseball plays much longer seasons, granted most of our players play every game also. I would subscribe to the emotional fatigue ( being flat) more so than physical fatigue. Hope we get a good pick for regionals. I would have to make the trip to Omaha if we made it.

Hemi Man
05-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Possibly if they are pitching better but these are the same pitchers we seen during the season. Fatigue possibly?? I do agree that you can come out flat after a big emotional win, that happens all the time ie 2004 we beat Missouri in football then loose to NMSU the next week. The only thing about the fatigue is that pro baseball plays much longer seasons, granted most of our players play every game also. I would subscribe to the emotional fatigue ( being flat) more so than physical fatigue. Hope we get a good pick for regionals. I would have to make the trip to Omaha if we made it.

Nothing personal, but I value coach Pierce's opinion on what happened with his team over yours.

dgoebel
05-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Nothing personal, but I value coach Pierce's opinion on what happened with his team over yours.

I do to, but there are 2 kinds of fatigue...physical and mental. I think it is mental fatigue from the big USA series, ie being flat. He didn't say which fatigue. Whatever it is, hope we are rested and ready for regionals.

newnan trojan
05-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Personally I would like to play Mississippi state more... Better match up if you ask me.