PDA

View Full Version : slightly annoyed with the athletics dept

Spiritual_Trojan
05-10-2013, 06:19 PM
So I just signed up for a Trojan All-Access and I'm not happy. I purchased it to watch the ASU series and was planning to get a year subscription when money opened up. According to the Sidearm sports website they have have full mobile capabilities, however I cant watch it on my iPad. So it seems that the Athletics Dept hasn't made an iPad app for it yet, which is bull crap considering Bama st has and a bunch of other schools do.

All that aside they video feed for the baseball game looks like a crappy weather cam that would be mounted up on a tower which make paying for video pointless because all you see are blobs moving around the field. This is the kind of stuff that losses fan support for this type of stuff, if I cant watch Troy when I pay money for it why the hell should I keep paying money for it? :signs019:

dgoebel
05-10-2013, 06:23 PM
I cancelled mine for the same reasons, very poor quality.

troy4ever21
05-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Troy wants desperately to be "big time", but continuously falls short.

Spiritual_Trojan
05-10-2013, 06:34 PM

It's pretty bad when I could go to best buy spend under $400 on a hd cam pull up free internet radio and put together a better broadcast than troy can for a pay service

Navarre Trojan
05-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Is this some work from the good folks at IMG?

Spiritual_Trojan
05-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Is this some work from the good folks at IMG?

not sure, its the sidearm sports group that powers troytrojans.com and the stats site. I think this is mostly an epic fail on the part of the university. The sidearm site says that all of their packages for school include full mobile support, so the school hasn't set that up. The camera is mounted on the stands so that would prob be the school too. The broadcast with Barry sounds good.

dgoebel
05-10-2013, 08:48 PM
I tried watching a softball game and it was horrible. Camera quality was horrible, no audio, no nothing. It was unwatchable. Football buffered the one game I had to watch. I do agree that we are very fortunate to have Barry, he is one of the best announcers I have heard, he is especially good calling a baseball game which is an art.

redwaver
05-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Yep, me to!:eatdrink004:

Troy_TroJans
05-10-2013, 09:13 PM
I got to say that it would cost me over $1000 to come down to watch a game. So a $90 year round all sport live video seems awesome but I do agree that the video falls way short in quality. I would rather paid the travel expenses to watch a game in person then to watch that poor quality TROY live video! :signs019:

dgoebel
05-10-2013, 10:26 PM
I hope they can improve the video quality. I also wouldn't mind an Audio only plan if it was cheaper.

Spiritual_Trojan
05-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Maybe this will be one of those things that the people in the athletics dept who view the board will see and fix. Moving to North Carolina sucks cause I will only be able to make one home game, but I will be at the Duke game. I don't mind paying for a subscription if it's actually worth the money, which after watching for about 20 min I was so annoyed I went ahead and canceled it. Troy has a J-school, there's no reason they can't have at least one decent camera set up for sporting events that fans are PAYING to watch.

Chrono124
05-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Maybe this will be one of those things that the people in the athletics dept who view the board will see and fix. Moving to North Carolina sucks cause I will only be able to make one home game, but I will be at the Duke game. I don't mind paying for a subscription if it's actually worth the money, which after watching for about 20 min I was so annoyed I went ahead and canceled it. Troy has a J-school, there's no reason they can't have at least one decent camera set up for sporting events that fans are PAYING to watch.

LMAO, yeah they have a J-school....

CardinalBlackTrojan
05-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Can someone mail a letter to the athletic department or something? The coverage for these games needs to be improved. I would be a yearly subscriber if I could trust the quality of the video feeds coming through.

Spiritual_Trojan
05-11-2013, 09:06 AM
LMAO, yeah they have a J-school....

yea.... the J-School teaches broadcast journalism... which means they have students who are being trained as cameramen and engineers... which means they know how to set up camera equipment work with multiple live camera angles and broadcast the feed.

Spiritual_Trojan
05-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Can someone mail a letter to the athletic department or something? The coverage for these games needs to be improved. I would be a yearly subscriber if I could trust the quality of the video feeds coming through.

I think if enough of us were to mail polite letters voicing our concern it might make a difference. Does anyone know the appropriate physical address or email?

dgoebel
05-11-2013, 09:20 AM
yea.... the J-School teaches broadcast journalism... which means they have students who are being trained as cameramen and engineers... which means they know how to set up camera equipment work with multiple live camera angles and broadcast the feed.

Actually Trojan Vision has won national awards and they do a very good job, even the sports. We get UF's student run journalism here on a channel and I can tell you that Troy's is 200% better than the Lizzards up the road. Maybe if they could run it it would be better. One thing is certain, I could give a 5 year old a camera and it wouldn't be any worse video wise.

TrojanFanatic
05-11-2013, 11:46 AM
It may have to do with the contract that was signed. If we signed something with Sidearms for 10 years in 05 when we made the jump, then the deal is about to end and things could get a lot better. I have no idea if that's what happened or if it's a yearly thing, but I do agree, sidearm is god awful

Chrono124
05-11-2013, 11:59 AM
It may have to do with the contract that was signed. If we signed something with Sidearms for 10 years in 05 when we made the jump, then the deal is about to end and things could get a lot better. I have no idea if that's what happened or if it's a yearly thing, but I do agree, sidearm is god awful

Got to love the great capitalism in our country. All the competition just drives the business forward....until you sign a non-compete contract. This country is so ass backwards it isn't funny. Why in the Frak would you sign a 10 year contract in a technology related field too. Basically they could have 2005 equipment and sign a 10 year deal and still be using the 2005 equipment in 2015 b/c there is no reason to pursue anything better. So stupid

TrojanFanatic
05-11-2013, 12:07 PM
You sign what you can get to market your brand at the time. If there was no competition at the time, Troy didn't really have a choice

Chrono124
05-11-2013, 03:48 PM
You sign what you can get to market your brand at the time. If there was no competition at the time, Troy didn't really have a choice

I understand contracts, but 10 years are you kidding me. Lets put this into perspective here. I don't have to explain the logic here, I'm sure you are an educated fellow. That's like me going to CenturyLink and signing a 10 year contract for Dial Up and then DSL comes out, well I guess I am stuck with Dial Up b/c I was stupid enough to do a 10 year contract. In technology driven fields you never sign a contract over 5 years at most unless you have a way out or a way to mod the contract in certain intervals.

TrojanFanatic
05-11-2013, 04:09 PM
I was just throwing out ideas, I honestly have no idea how long most tech contracts are. I agree that you don't sign anything unless you have a way out or a way to mod the agreement, but sometimes you have to take whatever you can get. Troy wasn't a "big name" until recently, stuff like this happens, we just have to fix it later.

Chrono124
05-11-2013, 04:41 PM
I was just throwing out ideas, I honestly have no idea how long most tech contracts are. I agree that you don't sign anything unless you have a way out or a way to mod the agreement, but sometimes you have to take whatever you can get. Troy wasn't a "big name" until recently, stuff like this happens, we just have to fix it later.

Unfortunately, hind sight is 20/20. Seems like alot of missteps were made in the past. Hopefully the new AD can address alot of these issues. I agree with you on sidearm they are terrible, even for football games. I paid for it twice the first time the quality was terrible and the load times were a killer, lagged through the whole thing. Second time I bought it, it didn't even let me watch the game. I requested my money back, and never got a response. These ppl are clowns and should be shown the door ASAP.

Spiritual_Trojan
05-11-2013, 07:41 PM
On the bright side at least we don't use sidearm for the stats. I'm keeping up with the ULL vs. USA and sidearm stats thing is awful

TFan
05-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Room for improvement in Troy U Athletics!!