PDA

View Full Version : Softball Woes?

dgoebel
05-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Really disappointing year in softball and it doesn't look any better for next season. I coached high level travel ball for 5 years and I see 3 problems. 1) pitching is really weak and we did not sign one. 2) we are not recruiting Florida, especially Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa area which are hot beds. Troy was going outside its area to sign players but last year they stayed in a 100 mile radius. not saying there isnt talent but we are overlooking hotbed areas. 3) no power hitting. I hope these get solved because South Alabama has blown by us in this sport. They have a girl who made 1st team Sunbelt as a freshman from my high school here and they have an absolutely dominating pitcher coming next year I coached for 4 years. Hoping for the best but we have to get some things corrected.

Hemi Man
05-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Why is it that you think all of our problems are linked to not recruiting Florida?

Didn't you also complain about all the Australian and Canadian players?

I do however agree with most of the other stuff you said.

dgoebel
05-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Why is it that you think all of our problems are linked to not recruiting Florida?

Didn't you also complain about all the Australian and Canadian players?

I do however agree with most of the other stuff you said.

Not all our problems are linked to FL, it just makes sense because softball is huge here, just look up the road at Jackie Traina (Naples) and you have a large pool of talent to look at. If we were going to Canada and Australia recruiting we should be looking at Florida to. The top travel and HS teams are in the areas I mentioned. I never complained about the foreign players, I actually liked the Australian girls and we missed Nikki Hollet's power hitting. Jaycee was our bright spot this year (Canadian) but we didn't pitch her much ( not sure why). We sure didn't have a Jocelyn McCallum or Ashlyn Williams on the circle. Hoping for a change but IMO they have to get some pitching and hitting help.

newnan trojan
05-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Georgia also has hot areas like Florida. Mainly atlanta metro

dgoebel
05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Georgia also has hot areas like Florida. Mainly atlanta metro

Yes, played some teams from that area. Here in Florida it is Jacksonville, Metro Orlando and Metro Tampa area. Really, really good high school and travel programs.

troy4ever
05-10-2013, 11:08 AM
I've been wondering about this as well. I know Coach Davis has been the coach at Troy for a long time and has done some great things and put out some great teams. But it's frustrating to see a school like USA come along and create softball 5 years ago and be doing as well as they are doing. Is Coach Davis our next Maestri? Heck...really the same could be said for Blakeney. What I mean is that once a coach has been there a certain amount of time and not putting out the same results anymore...do we keep them on because of how long they've been the coach or do we remove them and go our seperate ways?

Please know that I'm not advocating firing any of the coaches I've mentioned. It's just thoughts I've had.

dgoebel
05-10-2013, 04:44 PM
It really boils down to recruiting. Maestri put zero and I mean zero effort into it and it showed. Softball I am confused on because we were recruiting Australia, the west coast, Canada, etc and now we are signing players from pretty much a 50 mile radius? If these are great players then great but when you look at the top programs they recruit California, FL, AZ etc. South Alabama has out recruited us in AL badly and Jimmy Kolatis (Troy Alum) and former director of baseball at Troy is recruiting the heck out of Florida and recruited a pitcher I coached in Ocala that comes next year to USA (throws about 65 mph). If we don't get aggresive recruiting then we are going to get trampled. One mistake we might be making is relying to much on camps for recruiting. In softball there is no substitue for scouting high level ASA summer tournaments..period.

Chrono124
05-10-2013, 04:58 PM
I had a feeling this thread was going straight to Florida. DG man you need some new lines instead of this rehashed crap you seem to always bring up whether its football or softball. It always ends with "why isn't Troy recruiting Florida the athlete Mecca of the world?". Who says they don't recruit Florida?? Maybe there isn't anything in Florida that the coaches are interested in?? Why don't you go up to the softball office and show them how its done?? ( it would be quite funny to see how long it takes coach Davis to throw you out on your head)

dgoebel
05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I had a feeling this thread was going straight to Florida. DG man you need some new lines instead of this rehashed crap you seem to always bring up whether its football or softball. It always ends with "why isn't Troy recruiting Florida the athlete Mecca of the world?". Who says they don't recruit Florida?? Maybe there isn't anything in Florida that the coaches are interested in?? Why don't you go up to the softball office and show them how its done?? ( it would be quite funny to see how long it takes coach Davis to throw you out on your head)

If you think we don't need to recruit Fl then good luck finding your players in Brundidge and Ashford. And yes it is a Mecca, that is why it is so heavily recruited, get a clue. It is funny how there are no players in FL we would be interested in???? I guess UF, AL, USA, and others are getting players not worthy of Troy??? Remember the name Holly McKinnon when she is pitching against us at USA the next Four years.

Besides that we have let USA kick our but recruiting AL in softball...argue that point.

Chrono124
05-10-2013, 07:31 PM
If you think we don't need to recruit Fl then good luck finding your players in Brundidge and Ashford. And yes it is a Mecca, that is why it is so heavily recruited, get a clue. It is funny how there are no players in FL we would be interested in???? I guess UF, AL, USA, and others are getting players not worthy of Troy??? Remember the name Holly McKinnon when she is pitching against us at USA the next Four years.

Besides that we have let USA kick our but recruiting AL in softball...argue that point.

Oh so we are going to lose everything b/c Troy didn't recruit some girl you coached or w/e. Thanks for proving my point for me, your head is stuck in Florida's arse. This is America, everywhere is an athletic Mecca why do you think we always do good in the olympics?? Btw, good job on twisting my comments to fit your agenda. My questions were quite simple 1) How do you know 100% that Troy does not recruit FL competitively and FL players just aren't interested in Troy? 2) Maybe Troy just wasn't interested in "Holly Mckinnon" (sorry to hurt your feelings). 3) Please stop complaining here about it and show Coach Davis how its done b/c clearly she is nothing compared to the mighty Coach Dgoebel....

dgoebel
05-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Oh so we are going to lose everything b/c Troy didn't recruit some girl you coached or w/e. Thanks for proving my point for me, your head is stuck in Florida's arse. This is America, everywhere is an athletic Mecca why do you think we always do good in the olympics?? Btw, good job on twisting my comments to fit your agenda. My questions were quite simple 1) How do you know 100% that Troy does not recruit FL competitively and FL players just aren't interested in Troy? 2) Maybe Troy just wasn't interested in "Holly Mckinnon" (sorry to hurt your feelings). 3) Please stop complaining here about it and show Coach Davis how its done b/c clearly she is nothing compared to the mighty Coach Dgoebel....

Not sure why you are so hostile? Let me state a couple of facts, not opinions:

1) I think the world of Coach Davis and Coach O'Mara. I have met both and had my daughter at several Troy camps. They are both genuine and very good coaches. 2) Troy did recruit Holly, but it was way to late in the game. She had already committed to USA. USA recruited her very early. 3) Troy had a recruiting platform they used successfully for several years, they recruited Australia and Canada and all over the country. This last year and this year was a polar opposite of this, no foreign players, no west coast, no Florida, just AL and GA. 4) We don't have a dominating pitcher like we had with Jocelyn McCallum and Ashlyn Williams and we didn't sign one and pitching dominates softball. 5) Coach Koliatis at USA (Troy alum) and former Dir of baseball at Troy is a huge reason for the huge success USA is having, the guy can recruit talent. He recruited both Holly and Haley ( from my hs and all-sun belt as a freshman). Wish we had him back at Troy.

Now if this change in recruiting turns the program around I am all for it, but just wondering about it doesn't make me hate anything or make me think I can out coach someone as you stated and it is not a question of my state is better than yours. If we have girls signing with Troy from Australia, Canada and the west coast and have had many great players from Florida in the past, now all of a sudden no girls in Florida would want to play in Troy doesn't add up. Having one player from FL on the roster and via juco makes me assume we aren't recruiting there heavily. Whether you like FL or not, it is the 4th largest state in the country with a large pool of players in all sports. Softball in particular is huge. IMO it makes sense to recruit there, it makes sense to UA (nat champs) and USA ( #17 ranked and soon to be sun belt champs). If you don't agree that is your right but you don't need to be hostile bout it. Go Troy!!!!

Chrono124
05-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Not sure why you are so hostile? Let me state a couple of facts, not opinions:

1) I think the world of Coach Davis and Coach O'Mara. I have met both and had my daughter at several Troy camps. They are both genuine and very good coaches. 2) Troy did recruit Holly, but it was way to late in the game. She had already committed to USA. USA recruited her very early. 3) Troy had a recruiting platform they used successfully for several years, they recruited Australia and Canada and all over the country. This last year and this year was a polar opposite of this, no foreign players, no west coast, no Florida, just AL and GA. 4) We don't have a dominating pitcher like we had with Jocelyn McCallum and Ashlyn Williams and we didn't sign one and pitching dominates softball. 5) Coach Koliatis at USA (Troy alum) and former Dir of baseball at Troy is a huge reason for the huge success USA is having, the guy can recruit talent. He recruited both Holly and Haley ( from my hs and all-sun belt as a freshman). Wish we had him back at Troy.

Now if this change in recruiting turns the program around I am all for it, but just wondering about it doesn't make me hate anything or make me think I can out coach someone as you stated and it is not a question of my state is better than yours. If we have girls signing with Troy from Australia, Canada and the west coast and have had many great players from Florida in the past, now all of a sudden no girls in Florida would want to play in Troy doesn't add up. Having one player from FL on the roster and via juco makes me assume we aren't recruiting there heavily. Whether you like FL or not, it is the 4th largest state in the country with a large pool of players in all sports. Softball in particular is huge. IMO it makes sense to recruit there, it makes sense to UA (nat champs) and USA ( #17 ranked and soon to be sun belt champs). If you don't agree that is your right but you don't need to be hostile bout it. Go Troy!!!!

Not trying to sound hostile just prying for answers and trying to understand where you are coming from on the subject. This answered it very well for me, I completely understand your logic now. Maybe its just a down year in recruiting the FL area, teenagers are very unpredictable and even if Troy did try everything to recruit them there really isn't anything at Troy to pull someone there. Think about what attractions we have in Troy to actually lure someone there?? We got a chikfila so that counts for something right? Troy and the City of Troy is going to have to step it up if they want more solid athletes to stay there for 4 years.

dgoebel
05-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Not trying to sound hostile just prying for answers and trying to understand where you are coming from on the subject. This answered it very well for me, I completely understand your logic now. Maybe its just a down year in recruiting the FL area, teenagers are very unpredictable and even if Troy did try everything to recruit them there really isn't anything at Troy to pull someone there. Think about what attractions we have in Troy to actually lure someone there?? We got a chikfila so that counts for something right? Troy and the City of Troy is going to have to step it up if they want more solid athletes to stay there for 4 years.

I could be wrong on this, but I think we are using the camps to much for recruiting. I say this as it could explain why we had so many girls signed from a 100 mile radius. It is easy to do this to. Camps serve a recruiting purpose, but it has its draw backs. Take football, camps are very valuable. You get to time prospects, watch them do drills etc., much like the NFL combine. The drawback is it is in shorts and you play in pads, so there is no substitute for game film, not highlight tapes, but film. Does he take plays off, does he hustle etc. baseball and softball are a different scenario. For one, you will hardly ever see a college coach at a hs softball game, maybe to see a pitcher but that is it. When you go to summer tournaments, especially high level ASA ones, they are everywhere. The reason is the talent. These girls can all play, the talent is really concentrated, and you get to see how a girl hits against pitching and how the pitcher does against hitting. South Alabama has really done a good job of recruiting these tournaments. What I get aggravated about with Holly is that we could have had a shot, she knew about Troy, she was from a very small town and rural hS, Troy would have been up her ally. Not saying with 100% we could have signed her, I mean USA is ranked and is now a national contender, but who knows. The opportunity to play right away and the player/coach connection can't be over looked. If we aren't looking into the Jacksonville, Cent. FL, Tampa area in both softball and football, we need to start as well as B-Ham, Atlanta metro etc. Just to big a pool of talent. So what if we recruit 100 girls and only get one. Who knows what that one player could be. There is also a small rural hs in TN called Soddy Daisy, who is a national hs softball power. Multiple state championships and have been ranked in the ESPN Rise poll, that is a great example of a school we could get a player from. I drive through Soddy Daisy going to family in TN, Troy looks like NYC compared to Soddy Daisy. I do understand your point though on the town of Troy. It doesn't offer much, that is why we have to outwork the other schools in recruiting, get in early on a prospect, sell the school/campus, sell the family atmosphere, sell the facilities, sell the coach relationship. Not impossible, difficult yes but it can be done.

Football season can't get here soon enough :bounce012: we will have another subject other than softball :thumb: Go Troy!!!

Mr.E_205_Legion
05-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Reading the discussions about softball and recruiting it appears that maybe Troy has cut back on their recruiting budget for softball. IF that is true then Troy could have / did use this weekend to their full advantage. It IS a busy weekend in Troy, almost did not make the trip due to no hotel rooms. High School softball south central regional tournament in Troy, PLUS Sun Belt softball tournament in Troy brought some of the small town ladies to Troy that have been discussed in this thread AND our Sun Belt competition to Troy. IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW what we did with this low cost opportunity to recruit in our town!

What did this fly on the wall see? 1) Troy making a quick exit from the tournament. 2) Troy softball players at the baseball game - comments and behavior. 3) High school teams that loss on Friday night with nothing to do while in Troy. 4) High school softball parents talking to South Alabama fans/families about camp at USA. 5) Poor town gown relationships in the fact that no establishment that we visited (so far) this weekend shows any support for Troy and / or The Sun Belt, nothing visible to show that we are IN Troy OR that the city is proud to be the home of a university!

THAT IS ALL! No further comments on Troy softball from me. Hope that the Athletic Department realizes that hindsight is 20/20 and addresses some of the above OBSERVATIONS before the next perfect storm (favorable conditions) makes its way to Troy!

dgoebel
05-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Reading the discussions about softball and recruiting it appears that maybe Troy has cut back on their recruiting budget for softball. IF that is true then Troy could have / did use this weekend to their full advantage. It IS a busy weekend in Troy, almost did not make the trip due to no hotel rooms. High School softball south central regional tournament in Troy, PLUS Sun Belt softball tournament in Troy brought some of the small town ladies to Troy that have been discussed in this thread AND our Sun Belt competition to Troy. IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW what we did with this low cost opportunity to recruit in our town!

What did this fly on the wall see? 1) Troy making a quick exit from the tournament. 2) Troy softball players at the baseball game - comments and behavior. 3) High school teams that loss on Friday night with nothing to do while in Troy. 4) High school softball parents talking to South Alabama fans/families about camp at USA. 5) Poor town gown relationships in the fact that no establishment that we visited (so far) this weekend shows any support for Troy and / or The Sun Belt, nothing visible to show that we are IN Troy OR that the city is proud to be the home of a university!

THAT IS ALL! No further comments on Troy softball from me. Hope that the Athletic Department realizes that hindsight is 20/20 and addresses some of the above OBSERVATIONS before the next perfect storm (favorable conditions) makes its way to Troy!

Can you enlighten on #2 and #4. Was there behavior problems? And did Troy push their camp? We have let USA blow by us in softball in a very short time and from what you mentioned the word is out on their program.