PDA

View Full Version : Charleston and State of SC Making Pitch to Sunbelt...for The Citadel?

WeSuck.com
04-24-2013, 10:06 PM
I have heard from a reliable source that Charleston and the state of SC has/is backing a move to the SB for The Citadel.

After I stopped doubting her, I did a little research and to my surprise, they are more ready NOW, than we were when we moved.

Stadium holds 21,000. Led the SoCon in attendence in multiple years. And if Charleston/South Carolina is actually making a pitch for them as well, it might not be a bad option.

Regional Footprint
Ton of tradition
Nice-sized town - that supports The Citadel/obviously
MAJOR Alumni base-$$$ and political influence. Current Director of US Olympic Committee. If you don't believe me, look it up.

Certainly, a better fit than JMU/Liberty and 1000x better than JaxSt. and I am sure Dear Leader would be all over this one.

WeSuck.com
04-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Baseball park rocks too...hosted SoCon Tourney 14 of16 years.

http://www.littleballparks.com/Stadium/2007/Charleston_South/Charleston_South.htm

Troy87
04-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Baseball park rocks too...hosted SoCon Tourney 14 of16 years.

http://www.littleballparks.com/Stadium/2007/Charleston_South/Charleston_South.htm

But in this case, they are sharing an off-campus, minor league stadium, which is likely the biggest reason they hosted the SoCon Tourney.

That being said, I think The Citadel would be an excellent addition to the SBC. Our AD would probably think so as well, since that's his Alma Mater.

WeSuck.com
04-25-2013, 07:48 AM
But in this case, they are sharing an off-campus, minor league stadium, which is likely the biggest reason they hosted the SoCon Tourney.

That being said, I think The Citadel would be an excellent addition to the SBC. Our AD would probably think so as well, since that's his Alma Mater.

From what I read the stadium is right next door to the campus, so its not like a UA's B team deal.

Interesting too, that The Citadel is a public University, so the State does have some say in the matter. And from what I can tell-they have a tremendous amount of inffluence in Columbia.

Also, WOW! Never thought about our AD angle. Maybe there is some truth to this? I aint buying it yet, but The Citadel and Charleston make much more sense than Liberty, JMU and ETSU. I personally have fallen into the Lamar camp, but would not be unhappy at all to welcome the Bulldogs into the SB.

dgoebel
04-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Being a Military School could be a draw from Ft. Rucker etc. Might be a good option!!!

WeSuck.com
04-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Being a Military School could be a draw from Ft. Rucker etc. Might be a good option!!!

The more and more I look at it, the more and more I like it. Charleston would be sweet.

Wonder if there is any real interest from them???

Mr.E_205_Legion
04-25-2013, 04:28 PM
The more and more I look at it, the more and more I like it. Charleston would be sweet.

Wonder if there is any real interest from them???

:signs009::signs011:

I like the school, the city, the travel time, the History!

NOT to mention it would make MORE sense than ANY VIRGINIA institution in the conference footprint and conference name :rollinglaugh:

The only immediate downside for me is another FCS school being initiated by the Sun Belt into the BIG BOY level :taunt003:

I wonder what Georgia Southern and Happy Appy would think about their current conference mate following them to the Sun Belt?

redwaver
04-25-2013, 04:45 PM
:signs009::signs011:

I like the school, the city, the travel time, the History!

NOT to mention it would make MORE sense than ANY VIRGINIA institution in the conference footprint and conference name :rollinglaugh:

The only immediate downside for me is another FCS school being initiated by the Sun Belt into the BIG BOY level :taunt003:

I wonder what Georgia Southern and Happy Appy would think about their current conference mate following them to the Sun Belt?
Well, a few years ago that FBS school lookin' for a home in the SunBelt would have been us. We need to remember we've traveled that road before ourselves and should understand you have to start someplace, even us. The Citidel would be a great choice and in our footprint. Go for it!

WeSuck.com
04-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Has anyone posted this on the Sunbelt Board? I don't like most of you, so why would I punish myself posting on a board of people I really don't like - especially those clowns from SWLa.

Possum
04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm all for the Citadel coming to the belt.

Jericho Johnny
04-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Has anyone posted this on the Sunbelt Board? I don't like most of you, so why would I punish myself posting on a board of people I really don't like - especially those clowns from SWLa.

Amen to that. I do SO wish you and the other yous would stop with the stupid nicknames for teams. Makes TROY fans look like a bunch of children and is confusing for new Trojan fans visiting this board as well. Bah, whatever.

More on point, the Citadel is an interesting option. Certainly like it better than Liberty.

Mr.E_205_Legion
04-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Amen to that. I do SO wish you and the other yous would stop with the stupid nicknames for teams. Makes TROY fans look like a bunch of children and is confusing for new Trojan fans visiting this board as well. Bah, whatever.

I am NOT sure IF my comment of "Happy Appy" was considered in the above "and the other yous" above. IF SO I would think that you evidently have limited knowledge of ASU. I have visited there and actually lectured there in the past. "Happy Appy" is a common nickname used by ASU Alumni, Faculty, and Students. See exhibit A near the bottom: http://pinterest.com/pin/275775177154130180/

IF you were NOT including my above mentioned comment and were ONLY referring to the "SWLa" mentioned by you know who, then I guess that is an age thing since that was their name when I visited their campus in the 1970's http://louisiana.edu/content/about-us/history/university

Just wanted to use this as a teachable moment. We should ALL know the background and some History of our conference mates. Especially if we do not want them referring to us as TSU or Troy State :wave:

jagd1305
04-30-2013, 11:13 AM
I would like this addition much more than any of the other offerings we've heard about. I love Charleston. I also agree with WeSuck. I don't like me either! :)

GaSouthern
04-30-2013, 02:10 PM
From what I read the stadium is right next door to the campus, so its not like a UA's B team deal.

Interesting too, that The Citadel is a public University, so the State does have some say in the matter. And from what I can tell-they have a tremendous amount of inffluence in Columbia.

Also, WOW! Never thought about our AD angle. Maybe there is some truth to this? I aint buying it yet, but The Citadel and Charleston make much more sense than Liberty, JMU and ETSU. I personally have fallen into the Lamar camp, but would not be unhappy at all to welcome the Bulldogs into the SB.

The Baseball stadium is next door, that is where I tailgated last season for the GSU @ Citadel game. Both Stadiums are nice.

Let me also say that I think there is a less than 5% chance that the Citadel is our #12 football school.

AndrewMichaelDunn
04-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Troy, James Madison, The Citadel...interesting conference shuffle