PDA

View Full Version : Next for the BELT: JMU out - Liberty in

Troy79
04-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Guys, it looks like Liberty may be the school replacing Western Kentucky. The article also throws a curve ball about Ark State being considered by the MAC. The dominos keep falling.....

James Madison may not be on the move to the Sun Belt conference as soon as some early reports anticipated. The FBS league has a new primary target.

James Madison University has spent millions of dollars expanding and improving their football facilities across the board in the last decade. They have built new locker rooms, a first-class weight room, trainer and medical facilities, academic support, indoor and outdoor practice facilities and meeting rooms, all of which can rival schools at any level of college football. Most visibly, they have added around 10,000 seats to Bridgeforth Stadium, expanding and renovating it unto a world-class stadium with a capacity of just under 25,000 seats.
Even with their recent big-time investments in football, which is currently playing at the FCS level in the CAA conference, the Dukies are apparently taking a cautious approach to their football future.
After Western Kentucky University was grabbed by Conference USA, the Sun Belt Conference has been on the hunt for a 12th team, to allow them to host a conference championship game -- the SBC recently added Appalachian State and Georgia Southern from the SoCon, and independents New Mexico State and Idaho in football-only.
Those investments at James Madison helped push them quickly to the top of the SBC's wishlist, which also includes Jerry Falwell-founded Liberty University, according to ESPN.
A reporter at the Harrisonburg Daily News-Record, however, has reported that JMU won't be jumping at the opportunity to upgrade. They aren't desperately interested in the Sun Belt, and plan to finish their study and hold off on an upgrade decision until their report is produced in September (sound familiar?).
The Sun Belt, meanwhile, has apparently moved on to plan-B ($$). Liberty University, which has an endowment of just $54 million and an enrollment of less-than-20,000 on campus (but has over 60,000 online students enrolled), is now the top target of the conference. Liberty would likely be the first private school to move up from I-AA football since the division split in the 1970s.

http://www.vuhoops.com/2013/4/3/4179616/expansion-apocalypse-caa-exhales-as-sun-belt-focus-shifts

WeSuck.com
04-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Good God NO!!!!

Trojans1andAll
04-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Lurking a few of the JMU boards gives me the feeling that no one at JMU really wants the Sun Belt, they talk about us (the SBC) like trash. To hell with 'em. I'm not crazy about Liberty, but it's still better than JSU, who can't even decide if they want to be I-A or not.

The Sun Belt has taken advantage of the departure of the other schools and is creating some good regional match-ups. If everyone (all the SBC schools) can keep from freaking out and blindly jumping to other conferences we can be as strong as any mid-major. Just my $.02.

Brotherofanalum
04-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Let's be serious here. No bull. Would you rather be consorted the most revered school in Div. 2, or the laughing stock of Div. 1.seeings how JMU isn't high in the ranks of D2 it's probably a good idea for them to stick where they are. Heck, I wouldn't want to join the sunbelt myself.

Trojans1andAll
04-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Troy is DI-A in all sports. James Madison is DI-AA, or FCS, in football and DI in all other sports. They are not Division II, that's West Alabama, Delta State, Valdosta State, etc.

I know how you feel, it bugged me that Troy couldn't jump from the Southland straight to the SEC (sw). But since we're here, instead of whining about where we think we *should* be, like other schools, why don't we try to make where we already are the best it can be?

DedicatedTrojan84
04-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Good God NO!!!!

:signs011::signs009:

JPSousa1898
04-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Liberty is a media black-eye for the SBC waiting to happen.

Spiritual_Trojan
04-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Liberty is a media black-eye for the SBC waiting to happen.

How so?

trojanbrutha
04-11-2013, 09:25 PM
How so?

Perception, stereotype, prejudice...Sr. is dead and gone. The school is a real school. You'd think that people that were open-minded enough to allow LB to redeem himself wouldn't be as judgemental...just a thought.

Spiritual_Trojan
04-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Perception, stereotype, prejudice...Sr. is dead and gone. The school is a real school. You'd think that people that were open-minded enough to allow LB to redeem himself wouldn't be as judgemental...just a thought.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Everyone keeps saying that Liberty would be horrible to the Sunbelt because of perception. The funny part is I never see anyone post any specific things that their current administration has done.

redwaver
04-12-2013, 06:15 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Everyone keeps saying that Liberty would be horrible to the Sunbelt because of perception. The funny part is I never see anyone post any specific things that their current administration has done.
Just curious, could it (perceived prejudice) be just because they are a school of faith? If so, does that same perceived prejudice apply to BYU, Notre Dame, "The Catholic 7, etc.? Just wondering? I'm no Liberty fan because I don't think they bring what we need to the table but I don't hold their religious foundations and beliefs against them any more than I do BYU. Just sayin'!

Spiritual_Trojan
04-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Just curious, could it (perceived prejudice) be just because they are a school of faith? If so, does that same perceived prejudice apply to BYU, Notre Dame, "The Catholic 7, etc.? Just wondering? I'm no Liberty fan because I don't think they bring what we need to the table but I don't hold their religious foundations and beliefs against them any more than I do BYU. Just sayin'!

Well I know when Liberty first announced they were adding a football team they were drilled by the media about how a Christian school could justify playing such a violent sport. If I recall correctly Falwell Sr. said the same way the other Christian schools do and that they could knock a person on the behind, pick them up and say Jesus loves you.

All that aside what is it that you don't think they bring? That was my initial complaint is that everyone keeps emphatically saying no in various ways, but they never give any substantial reasons.

redwaver
04-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Well I know when Liberty first announced they were adding a football team they were drilled by the media about how a Christian school could justify playing such a violent sport. If I recall correctly Falwell Sr. said the same way the other Christian schools do and that they could knock a person on the behind, pick them up and say Jesus loves you.

All that aside what is it that you don't think they bring? That was my initial complaint is that everyone keeps emphatically saying no in various ways, but they never give any substantial reasons.
I've just not seen any substantial success at the high test level within their division. I won't spend sleepless nights if they join but I think we need to pursue better options that might be there. I thought your concern was some "prejudicial position" they took. Did I read it wrong?

Spiritual_Trojan
04-12-2013, 09:01 PM
I've just not seen any substantial success at the high test level within their division. I won't spend sleepless nights if they join but I think we need to pursue better options that might be there. I thought your concern was some "prejudicial position" they took. Did I read it wrong?

Yea I was talking about how some SBC fans are acting prejudice towards Liberty.

redwaver
04-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Yea I was talking about how some SBC fans are acting prejudice towards Liberty.
My bad! Misunderstood!:eatdrink004::taunt002:

JPSousa1898
04-13-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't believe that they are FBS quality and I believe that the baggage left by the elder Falwell on the university will follow it as it has in the past.

stonewall009
04-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Just throwing my two cents in because I only live an hour away from Liberty. I would love for them to join the Sunbelt and I don't see how any school or fan could look down on this addition. Liberty is pumping more money into their school than most others and will be something to be reckoned with very soon. Driving by their campus frequiently it is very impressive to see their improvements not only in recreational aspects such as their new world class year round ski slopes but their academics are growing in leaps and bounds also. The most positive aspect for me though is being able to skip down the road right quick and watch Troy play.

Spiritual_Trojan
04-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Just throwing my two cents in because I only live an hour away from Liberty. I would love for them to join the Sunbelt and I don't see how any school or fan could look down on this addition. Liberty is pumping more money into their school than most others and will be something to be reckoned with very soon. Driving by their campus frequiently it is very impressive to see their improvements not only in recreational aspects such as their new world class year round ski slopes but their academics are growing in leaps and bounds also. The most positive aspect for me though is being able to skip down the road right quick and watch Troy play.

Most people could careless about what they are doing to improve on and off the field. The only thing that most people care about is what their former president said when he was still alive.

I'm not one of those people I would love to see liberty added to the list.

SOTS 86-89
05-27-2013, 08:57 AM
I don't believe that they are FBS quality and I believe that the baggage left by the elder Falwell on the university will follow it as it has in the past.

John, why do you feel that they're not FBS quality? Have you been to Lynchburg before? I haven't been on the board for months so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am curious as to what is guiding your line of thinking. As someone that holds three degrees from Troy, I can remember being offended by comments that we didn't deserve to be considered a FBS school because we were a commuter school with multiple campuses and a very high online presence. Likewise, I am somewhat offended by your comments in this thread as I have earned an EdS and EdD (ABD) from Liberty. I must admit that I was apprehensive about Liberty in the beginning, but I feel that I've received a very well rounded educational experience there...just like I did at Troy. Liberty's campus in Lynchburg has more students enrolled in residency than Troy does, and overall enrollment is larger than Troy as well. Don't get me wrong...I don't equate quantity with quality by any means, but I think your perception is based upon misconceptions promoted in the news media that were most likely exaggerated at the very least.

ThePowerMan
05-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Many people think because it is a Bible College that they will not have the tools to compete. I disagree. I think Liberty would be a good (not great) choice should that time come. I believe they have enough fan following that they would grow just like we did.

I think many are concerned they might slip a f bomb and someone will be listening......or they would be scared for the reaction they might receive. While I did not always like Dr Falwell's delivery or "all" his beliefs, I did like the fact that he never backed down from his core beliefs.

But this is an university. Not a one man show anymore.

SOTS 86-89
05-28-2013, 05:36 AM
Many people think because it is a Bible College that they will not have the tools to compete. I disagree. I think Liberty would be a good (not great) choice should that time come. I believe they have enough fan following that they would grow just like we did.

I think many are concerned they might slip a f bomb and someone will be listening......or they would be scared for the reaction they might receive. While I did not always like Dr Falwell's delivery or "all" his beliefs, I did like the fact that he never backed down from his core beliefs.

But this is an university. Not a one man show anymore.

Exactly. I concur 100 percent.

AndrewMichaelDunn
05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Liberty gets a bad rap because many known religious schools take their foundation from an ancient tradition that styles on reason while Liberty just spurs some words from bla bla land in the mind

SOTS 86-89
05-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Liberty gets a bad rap because many known religious schools take their foundation from an ancient tradition that styles on reason while Liberty just spurs some words from bla bla land in the mind

I'm not sure what you're referring to with "bla bla land" but I can assure you that when I studied doctoral level philosophy of education a couple of years ago I was pleasantly surprised that ancient Greek and Chinese philosophers (among others) were brought into the mix, and they definitely don't mix with a historic background that would include philosophy from a Christian perspective :-).

Spiritual_Trojan
05-29-2013, 05:42 PM

And what do you base this insightful perspective into Liberty's educational principals and foundation?

TrojanFanatic
05-29-2013, 10:25 PM
And what do you base this insightful perspective into Liberty's educational principals and foundation?

bla bla land?:jester:

Spiritual_Trojan
05-30-2013, 08:00 PM
bla bla land?:jester:

Seems about right. I've seen a ton of people bash Liberty's academics without giving any real reason other than disagreeing with their viewpoint.

Rette
06-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Isn't "bla bal land" in Washington DC??:bounce012:

Sly Fox
02-09-2014, 06:54 PM
We Liberty folks are wearing down the Sun Belt with our availability. :wave:

I'd love nothing more than to see our Flames playing in Veterans Memorial Stadium as well Lafayette, San Marcos and points in between. Actually wanting to be in your conference should count for something. Shouldn't it?

trojanbrutha
02-09-2014, 07:05 PM

I'd love nothing more than to see our Flames playing in Veterans Memorial Stadium as well Lafayette, San Marcos and points in between. Actually wanting to be in your conference should count for something. Shouldn't it?

we should go ahead and get to 12 now...if we have room for anyone later then that's fine. i have no problem with adding LU. But, it ain't my call...:signs003:

redwaver
02-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Exactly. I concur 100 percent.

Yep, last time I checked Notre Dame, BYU, and Baylor were religiously founded institutions. They've done pretty darn good and hearing bad language, etc. or being from a university who's founder(s) based that institution in their particular religious leanings hasn't seemed to deminish their ability to compete with all us good old boys in the real DI catagory!

redwaver
02-09-2014, 07:23 PM

You darn right. I remember the time when my own beloved university (Troy) was where you are today. Some are just too young or can't research to know that we ourselves have been there, done that. Right now as we speak a lot of folks here are grieped that no other conference seems to want us. The day is coming when all the have nots will be bunched together and tossed aside by the mighty DI powers in my humble opinion.

Sly Fox
02-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the support, guys. I think you will find that if you ever make the road trip up to Virginia, it is a great game experience.