PDA

View Full Version : Announcement of a Head Coach tomorrow at 11 A.M.

CHughes1102
03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Via Wes Johnson's twitter.

Awwwww yeahhh

tenaciousT
03-25-2013, 08:16 PM
The anticipation is killing me!

JonesOxygen
03-25-2013, 08:17 PM
My man said April 1st and he meant it!

newnan trojan
03-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Lutz

quietstorm
03-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Potential New Troy Coach:

Coach Bobby Lutz, Assistant Coach at NC State

http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2013/03/25/jeff-goodman-cbs-sports-reports-troy-is-interested-in-bobby-lutz/

newnan trojan
03-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Oh wow!!! Everyone get ready for this hire... And it's not lutz! Think BIGGER!!

CHughes1102
03-25-2013, 09:25 PM

Source?

newnan trojan
03-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Can't say on here sorry

CHughes1102
03-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Can't say on here sorry

How sure are you? All signs point to Lutz at the current moment.

newnan trojan
03-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Delete

quietstorm
03-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Wow. This is really Hush Hush. I'm getting very curious now....hmmmm

CHughes1102
03-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Sleeping tonight is gonna be hard with the anticipation of the announcement haha

Lego
03-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Need someone young and with energy

Lego
03-25-2013, 09:41 PM

Can't say on here sorry

Why do people do this ?

JonesOxygen
03-25-2013, 09:46 PM
According to Twitter. It's this guy:
Phil Cunningham from WKU, formerly Miss State

TrueTrojan
03-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Bobby Lutz & WKU Assistant Phil Cunningham seem to be the hot names.

Lego
03-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Potential New Troy Coach:

Coach Bobby Lutz, Assistant Coach at NC State

http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2013/03/25/jeff-goodman-cbs-sports-reports-troy-is-interested-in-bobby-lutz/

I guess. He loves living in North Carolina, don't see him in Troy long no matter what.

CHughes1102
03-25-2013, 09:50 PM
According to Twitter. It's this guy:
Phil Cunningham from WKU, formerly Miss State

Bingo.

CHughes1102
03-25-2013, 09:51 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21949288/troy-hires-western-kentucky-assistant-phil-cunningham

JonesOxygen
03-25-2013, 09:52 PM
WKU beat writer Chad Bishop broke the story. He is always dead on. We will see tomorrow.

quietstorm
03-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Looks like Phil Cunningham, Western Kentucky Assistant

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21949288/troy-hires-western-kentucky-assistant-phil-cunningham

newnan trojan
03-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Sorry guys. My friend played a April fools joke on me.... But all signs point to Lutz and my sources say lutz

quietstorm
03-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Here is the new Troy Coach Bio.

http://www.wkusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5400&ATCLID=205422666

Lego
03-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Sorry guys. My friend played a April fools joke on me.... But all signs point to Lutz and my sources say lutz

It's March 25th. ?

newnan trojan
03-25-2013, 09:57 PM
It's March 25th. ?

Ya I know... Damn em. They had my hopes up

Lego
03-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Looks like Phil Cunningham, Western Kentucky Assistant

This is better. Younger, a recruiter.

newnan trojan
03-25-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm underwhelmed

troy4ever
03-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Ya I know... Damn em. They had my hopes up

Hehehe

SoFlaTrojan
03-25-2013, 10:48 PM
The article says he "recruited" a top player, who wound up going to the NBA, How is that an accomplishment?

Brotherofanalum
03-25-2013, 10:57 PM
We couldn't even hire a head coach from a juco, we had to hire an assistant with the claim to fame for failing to recruit Monta Ellis...

flockofoscars
03-25-2013, 11:02 PM
The article says he "recruited" a top player, who wound up going to the NBA, How is that an accomplishment?

The player is a great NBA star who signed with Miss St. but then left to get drafted into the NBA so that really is an accomplishment that just did not work out. I like this hire. he is young, a great recruiter, and seems to be ambitious. He will bring life into this program. just watch.

newnan trojan
03-25-2013, 11:11 PM
The player is a great NBA star who signed with Miss St. but then left to get drafted into the NBA so that really is an accomplishment that just did not work out. I like this hire. he is young, a great recruiter, and seems to be ambitious. He will bring life into this program. just watch.

Hope your right... I'm just kinda underwhelmed after the hype the university gave us

dgoebel
03-26-2013, 06:15 AM
Hope your right... I'm just kinda underwhelmed after the hype the university gave us

Me to. Hope I am wrong

Hemi Man
03-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Thank God there weren't any Troy message boards around when Larry Blakeney was hired.:confused013:

dgoebel
03-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Thank God there weren't any Troy message boards around when Larry Blakeney was hired.:confused013:

Larry Was a proven assistant and OC at Auburn. This guy might be a great coach and I hope so, but an assistant from our own conference leaves you puzzled. He has my full support and I wish him the best and hope he gets our BB team to new heights.

WeSuck.com
03-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Me to. Hope I am wrong

Looking at the whole picture...maybe we over-hyped the next coach. I come from the school of under=promise and over deliver, so I will withhold my opinion for a while and look at the current picture.

New Coach comes from a basketball family - his father is a legend in Kentucky. He played at Kentucky Wesleyan which was/is a DII power. He coached under Lefty Drisell at Georgia State - so he saw the old dump we played in. He coached at Mississippi State during a pretty good period for them. He also coached at WKU, a basketball school.

Here is the reality, we needed somebody to take a chance on us too. Would it have been great to get a "name", we were limited. Heck, he probably got paid the same at WKU as an Assistant.

He probably sees that Arena as a HUGE plus and understands the region and I don't give a rats rear-end where he finds players, he just needs to convince him that Troy is a great place to play. Having recruited players to Starkville is a major plus - that place is a dump.

FYI: His brother is a football coach at Mississippi Valley State.

dgoebel
03-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Looking at the whole picture...maybe we over-hyped the next coach. I come from the school of under=promise and over deliver, so I will withhold my opinion for a while and look at the current picture.

New Coach comes from a basketball family - his father is a legend in Kentucky. He played at Kentucky Wesleyan which was/is a DII power. He coached under Lefty Drisell at Georgia State - so he saw the old dump we played in. He coached at Mississippi State during a pretty good period for them. He also coached at WKU, a basketball school.

Here is the reality, we needed somebody to take a chance on us too. Would it have been great to get a "name", we were limited. Heck, he probably got paid the same at WKU as an Assistant.

He probably sees that Arena as a HUGE plus and understands the region and I don't give a rats rear-end where he finds players, he just needs to convince him that Troy is a great place to play. Having recruited players to Starkville is a major plus - that place is a dump.

FYI: His brother is a football coach at Mississippi Valley State.

If he can recruit some high school players then I am 100% behind him. Maestri didn't even know where a HS was so this hire is a 100% improvement.

Hemi Man
03-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Larry Was a proven assistant and OC at Auburn. This guy might be a great coach and I hope so, but an assistant from our own conference leaves you puzzled. He has my full support and I wish him the best and hope he gets our BB team to new heights.

If he can recruit some high school players then I am 100% behind him. Maestri didn't even know where a HS was so this hire is a 100% improvement.

Does 1 year at WKU overshadow his 12 years at Miss St?

During his second stint at MSU, Cunningham has taken on primary responsibilities in the areas of recruiting, player development with the Bulldog guards, scouting and on-floor coaching duties.* The Bulldogs' last 11 recruiting classes have all been nationally recognized due largely in part to his relentless recruiting style, tremendous work ethic, and eye for talent.

Cunningham was recently tabbed by Rivals.com as one of the nation's top 25 assistant coaches.* He was also previously recognized by The Hoop Scoop recruiting publication as one of the top NCAA Division I men's basketball assistant coaches.

http://m.hailstate.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=935063&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=16800

ksdtrojan
03-26-2013, 08:55 AM

During his second stint at MSU, Cunningham has taken on primary responsibilities in the areas of recruiting, player development with the Bulldog guards, scouting and on-floor coaching duties.* The Bulldogs' last 11 recruiting classes have all been nationally recognized due largely in part to his relentless recruiting style, tremendous work ethic, and eye for talent.

Cunningham was recently tabbed by Rivals.com as one of the nation's top 25 assistant coaches.* He was also previously recognized by The Hoop Scoop recruiting publication as one of the top NCAA Division I men's basketball assistant coaches.

http://m.hailstate.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=935063&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=16800

Thanks Hemi! Great info! I'm excited all the way around. Can't wait to see what he builds at TROY!

JonesOxygen
03-26-2013, 08:56 AM

As Wesuck said, maybe we over hyped this job. I think we got a great guy. 12 years in the SEC when Miss St was much better than they are now. Then he lands at WKU, who by the way, is a household mid major name. Had he ended up at ULALA or Monroe or FAU. Sure I would raise an eyebrow. I thank Coach Cunningham for taking a chance on Troy. If you read the WKU board, their fans wanted to raise more money to pay their entire staff and keep them in tact.

Trojans1andAll
03-26-2013, 09:01 AM

Wow. That's some interesting info. It makes me feel a lot better about the hire.

TrojanEmpire
03-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Wow. That's some interesting info. It makes me feel a lot better about the hire.

What kind of system do you guys think he will run? Will it be more up-tempo or a half-court game? I am hoping for a combo of the up-tempo we used to run and that FGCU currently uses.

Hemi Man
03-26-2013, 10:39 AM

It wasn't the splash name people were hoping for, but when you look deeper, it appears to be a good hire! Time and results will tell if that's the case. I'm excited.

dgoebel
03-26-2013, 11:18 AM
It wasn't the splash name people were hoping for, but when you look deeper, it appears to be a good hire! Time and results will tell if that's the case. I'm excited.

Just wonder where he will be recruiting wise this season. Hope we might be able to sign a few hs players to start building long term, but it might be to late for this year. I am hoping we don't have to load up on more juco players but that might be the only option this year. I am excited for the fresh start and the possibilities. After reading more on him, the Kentucky HS connections could be huge. I think it is a 100% improvement over what we had.

LAZebra
03-26-2013, 11:46 AM
I am cautiously optimistic. I believe Coach Cunningham has the potential to return us to the top third of the conference year in and year out. I would be very pleased with that, especially if it includes an occasional appearance in the big dance.

WeSuck.com
03-26-2013, 11:54 AM
I think it is a 100% improvement over what we had.

Really, 100% improvement?

Maestri - 500 wins (31 seasons playing in an outhouse, plus 8 seasons of not being eligible for the DI Tourny)
New Coach - 0

Maestri - multiple Conference Championships, NCAA/NIT/CBI Tournaments, Multiple COY
New Coach - nothing

I think this guy will be just fine and is a nice fresh start, but come on, Maestri took a chance coming to Troy when NOBODY even knew we had a basketball team. Today, look what he has done - created enough interest to make some people feel like they are experts in basketball.

dgoebel
03-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Really, 100% improvement?

Maestri - 500 wins (31 seasons playing in an outhouse, plus 8 seasons of not being eligible for the DI Tourny)
New Coach - 0

Maestri - multiple Conference Championships, NCAA/NIT/CBI Tournaments, Multiple COY
New Coach - nothing

I think this guy will be just fine and is a nice fresh start, but come on, Maestri took a chance coming to Troy when NOBODY even knew we had a basketball team. Today, look what he has done - created enough interest to make some people feel like they are experts in basketball.

I appreciate Coach Maestri staying at Troy for so long. However the last few years recruiting suffered and the results showed. A team full of juco players, no high school recruiting at all and no big men in the middle. We needed a fresh start and I am excited. With our arena there is zero excuses for not getting some high school players that can be in the system for more than two years.

I wish Coach Maestri a good retirement and :eatdrink004::eatdrink004: here is to the future of Troy basketball.