PDA

View Full Version : Looks like it's happened: Sun Belt to add two new members

Troy79
03-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Sun Belt to add two new members

Updated: March 25, 2013, 4:42 PM ET
By Brett McMurphy | ESPN

Appalachian State and Georgia Southern will make the transition from the FCS to the FBS and join the Sun Belt Conference in 2015, sources told ESPN.

The two schools will be ineligible for the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) playoffs in 2013. After completing their transition to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), they will be eligible for the Sun Belt football championship and bowl games in 2015, sources said.

An official announcement is expected this week, and both schools will be full-fledged Sun Belt members in all other sports in 2014, sources said.

The addition of Appalachian State and Georgia Southern will give the Sun Belt 10 football members in 2015 -- Arkansas State, Georgia State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy and Western Kentucky.

The Sun Belt will have a 12-member basketball league with those 10 schools plus Arkansas-Little Rock and Texas-Arlington.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9097544/appalachian-state-mountaineers-georgia-southern-eagles-join-sun-belt-according-sources

Go Troy!

TrojanFanatic
03-25-2013, 07:17 PM
now let's see if anyone else, hopefully Troy, leaves to bigger and better things

Doug4Troy
03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
now let's see if anyone else, hopefully Troy, leaves to bigger and better things

Reasonably speaking, what is "bigger and better?"

Troy79
03-25-2013, 07:51 PM

I truly believe that the Belt will add New Mexico State and Idaho for football only which will make the Conference a 12 team league. However, all the folks up here in Bowling Green believe that the next move is WKU going to C-USA. It is my guess that will happen, which means that we would have to find one more team to pick up to fill out the concept of two 6 team divisions. To make it work out, it appears that we would have to find a team east of Louisiana. I would think that the WEST will be made up of:

ULL
ULM
Texas State
Arkansas State
NMSU
Idaho

The East will be made up of:

App State
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
USA
TROY
*WKU

Since I can not imagine breaking up the two Louisiana schools into separate divisions, my guess is that we will not see another team from the West being added. Therefore, I see a wild card FCS school being added to fill the slot opened by the departure of Western, assuming that C-USA does pick them up. I could see Liberty, who has expressed a real interest in the Sun Belt, as being the potential final East Division team, or possibly UT Chattanooga, which has discussed moving up to FBS as well, and would be a perfect fit in the Sun Belt footprint (especially for our Eastern Division).

Just some thoughts but I can see Benson pushing to throw a lifeline to his old WAC brothers and shooting for a 12 team league to allow a Conference Championship game starting in 2014.

Go Troy!

Doug4Troy
03-25-2013, 08:17 PM
I truly believe that the Belt will add New Mexico State and Idaho for football only which will make the Conference a 12 team league. However, all the folks up here in Bowling Green believe that the next move is WKU going to C-USA. It is my guess that will happen, which means that we would have to find one more team to pick up to fill out the concept of two 6 team divisions. To make it work out, it appears that we would have to find a team east of Louisiana. I would think that the WEST will be made up of:

ULL
ULM
Texas State
Arkansas State
NMSU
Idaho

The East will be made up of:

App State
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
USA
TROY
*WKU

Since I can not imagine breaking up the two Louisiana schools into separate divisions, my guess is that we will not see another team from the West being added. Therefore, I see a wild card FCS school being added to fill the slot opened by the departure of Western, assuming that C-USA does pick them up. I could see Liberty, who has expressed a real interest in the Sun Belt, as being the potential final East Division team, or possibly UT Chattanooga, which has discussed moving up to FBS as well, and would be a perfect fit in the Sun Belt footprint (especially for our Eastern Division).

Just some thoughts but I can see Benson pushing to throw a lifeline to his old WAC brothers and shooting for a 12 team league to allow a Conference Championship game starting in 2014.

Go Troy!

Really hope WKU "wises up" and stays in the Sun Belt.

dgoebel
03-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Really hope WKU "wises up" and stays in the Sun Belt.

I see WKU in the MAC

pelliott
03-25-2013, 10:29 PM
I hope WKU stays as well - but the MAC is probably a better fit

But, the hopefully Troy moves on to bigger and better thing
Bigger and better is right now

Adding GSU and App State is great

pelliott
03-25-2013, 10:35 PM
http://www.bullochrec.com/Facilities/millcreeknightt.jpg

pretty nice facility in the BORO - not a school facility - but a municipal facility - either way, very nice

Brotherofanalum
03-25-2013, 11:48 PM
What about West Florida University Argonauts in Pensacola, FL? From what I can remember they've moved up to FCS and they have around 20-25,000 students? It's a large market, and the city of Pensacola and Mobile are already rivals, so I think we should add them and get all of this USA-Troy rivalry mess out of the way.