PDA

View Full Version : NCAA tourney

TrojanFan2
03-19-2013, 08:10 AM
I thought only 16th seeds had to have a payoff game. I see Middle Tennessee has a playoff to get in and they are an 11th seed. Can someone explain why?

troy4ever
03-19-2013, 08:21 AM
They changed the format of the tournament. But I can't elaborate more an that bc I'm not sure how.

Spiritual_Trojan
03-19-2013, 08:25 AM
From what I was able to gather from watching ESPN those games are actually the first round of the tournament. They said a couple times that they were not play in games, if you were in those games you were in the tournament. Other than that I'm not sure how they determine who are in those first round games, maybe the last teams in?

I would like to point out that the mighty CUSA only has one basketball team in the NCAA tourny while the lowly SBC has two teams

troy4ever
03-19-2013, 10:30 AM
From what I was able to gather from watching ESPN those games are actually the first round of the tournament. They said a couple times that they were not play in games, if you were in those games you were in the tournament. Other than that I'm not sure how they determine who are in those first round games, maybe the last teams in?

I would like to point out that the mighty CUSA only has one basketball team in the NCAA tourny while the lowly SBC has two teams

True, but we do know that the only reason we managed to get two in is because of WKU managing to string together 4 straight wins in the conference tournament. Had Middle went on to win the tournament, we would have only had one team in. Middle was VERY lucky to make it in.

CHughes1102
03-19-2013, 11:27 AM

Well since MTSU will be joining C-USA.....

Hemi Man
03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
I thought only 16th seeds had to have a payoff game. I see Middle Tennessee has a playoff to get in and they are an 11th seed. Can someone explain why?

Think of it this way. The 68 teams in the tournament are not the best 68 teams in the country. The lower seeds are filled with conference tournament winners that didn't perform as well during the season or some of the winners from smaller and weaker conferences. The "play in" game for the 11 seed consist of two bubble teams that are better than a 16 seed, but didn't make the tournament.

I hope that makes sense.

Jericho Johnny
03-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Speaking of tournaments, here in Tallahassee we are bout to host FSU vs. Louisiana Tech in the NIT tournament. Not being a basketball fan, I had to look up what the NIT was. Might still be fun to go and watch.

Spiritual_Trojan
03-19-2013, 01:10 PM

They will be, but they haven't yet. Which means it goes down as two SBC teams

Spiritual_Trojan
03-19-2013, 01:12 PM
True, but we do know that the only reason we managed to get two in is because of WKU managing to string together 4 straight wins in the conference tournament. Had Middle went on to win the tournament, we would have only had one team in. Middle was VERY lucky to make it in.

So WKU did what they needed to do during the tournament and the Middle did what they needed to make the committee look their way. It doesn't matter how we got two, the fact is that we have two.

Buzz Lightyear
03-19-2013, 01:51 PM

They GOT in due to the persona and fear wrought by the name
S-U-N-B-E-L-T.....next year when they have the moniker of CUSA and therefore bear the brunt of the near synonymous analogy of "we Suck conference" So Romans lend me your ears MTSU is in because of riding our coat tails of respect......good luck to our now nearly former colleagues.......and no we will not let you return at the Almightly Belt gates begging for a sip of water from our fountain of pride......You have relegated yourselves to the CUSA wasteland of buyers remorse......so we bid you adieu and may the wind always be at your back....along with our boot......CHOW!!!:wave:

Buzz Lightyear
03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
They GOT in due to the persona and fear wrought by the name
S-U-N-B-E-L-T.....next year when they have the moniker of CUSA and therefore bear the brunt of the near synonymous analogy of "we Suck conference" So Romans lend me your ears MTSU is in because of riding our coat tails of respect......good luck to our now nearly former colleagues.......and no we will not let you return at the Almightly Belt gates begging for a sip of water from our fountain of pride......You have relegated yourselves to the CUSA wasteland of buyers remorse......so we bid you adieu and may the wind always be at your back....along with our boot......CHOW!!!:wave:

And for any of you MTSU fans who may find the above little note. Tongue-in-cheek satire has its place....:taunt002:

TFan
03-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Ciao MuTS!!

(MuTS is MuTS in any language)

WeSuck.com
03-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Not being a basketball fan, I had to look up what the NIT was.

Good gosh, you really aren't a basketball fan. Its the oldest college basketball tournament. Used to be bigger than the NCAA tourny until TV got involved.

TFan
03-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Good gosh, you really aren't a basketball fan. Its the oldest college basketball tournament. Used to be bigger than the NCAA tourny until TV got involved.

Lotta youngsters on the 'board!!!

GO TROJANS!

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
03-20-2013, 03:18 AM
Ciao MuTS!!

(MuTS is MuTS in any language)

I'm sure Middle Tennessee is glad to be rid of playing twice a year what is inarguably the worst men's and women's basketball tandem from the Suck Belch. 300+ RPI rankings. When you have no choice but to play Troy State is it any wonder why many questioned Middle Tennessee's strength if schedule?

TFan
03-20-2013, 07:05 AM
I will miss the friendly competition and banter provided by the Middle/Troy athletic association over the years!!!

GO TROJANS!

jagd1305
03-20-2013, 07:15 AM
On the other hand, I won't miss TBR's petty hate filled diatribes capped with his Bible verse signatures. One less phony self righteous mental midget to be tolerated! :)

trojanbrutha
03-20-2013, 07:16 AM
I'm sure Middle Tennessee is glad to be rid of playing twice a year what is inarguably the worst men's and women's basketball tandem from the Suck Belch. 300+ RPI rankings. When you have no choice but to play Troy State is it any wonder why many questioned Middle Tennessee's strength if schedule?

I can guarantee that people like you will not be missed, in relation to your disrespect of this conference. You should spend less time on the scout boards and you may see a change in attitude...for the better.

Mr.E_205_Legion
03-20-2013, 07:27 AM
On the other hand, I won't miss TBR's petty hate filled diatribes capped with his Bible verse signatures. One less phony self righteous mental midget to be tolerated! :)

FYI - NOT THE Holy Bible, but this is a sports thread so I will quickly end this post with a simple I AGREE with your post. Hopefully TBR will fade into the C-USA ranks and websites...

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
03-20-2013, 01:39 PM
FYI - NOT THE Holy Bible, but this is a sports thread so I will quickly end this post with a simple I AGREE with your post. Hopefully TBR will fade into the C-USA ranks and websites...

Come now. I can be a Christian and a bantering sports fan. Just like you can be a Mormon hater and a bantering sports fan.

newnan trojan
03-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Come now. I can be a Christian and a bantering sports fan. Just like you can be a Mormon hater and a bantering sports fan.

Tell us how u got banned on Sun belt BBS?:taunt003:

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
03-21-2013, 03:49 AM
Tell us how u got banned on Sun belt BBS?:taunt003:

GeorgiaTechSwagger pissed me off so I got him in trouble with the NCAA for trademark infringement forcing him to change all of his websites' URL addresses and logos containing "NCAA." That'll get you banned from someone's website, but since SuchBelchbbs is now overrun by your friends from Liberty, James Madison, and Jacksonville State, it really is nothing of my concern anymore.

Spiritual_Trojan
03-21-2013, 08:27 AM
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330782393

jagd1305
03-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Which begs the question, why are you here? MT hates the belt and all of its members. MT is hardly regarded as a belt member anymore so why do you fail to move on to CUSA boards as well? You come across as that annoying little precocious child that has no intellectual contribution to any adult conversation except to say, " Hey, everyone, I just pi$$ed in my pants! Am I just adorable or what?" You should seek advice from MTPikapp. He could hold an intellectual conversation, be rational, thoughtful, interesting and remain true to MT. You know, all the things you're not.

newnan trojan
03-21-2013, 10:31 AM
GeorgiaTechSwagger pissed me off so I got him in trouble with the NCAA for trademark infringement forcing him to change all of his websites' URL addresses and logos containing "NCAA." That'll get you banned from someone's website, but since SuchBelchbbs is now overrun by your friends from Liberty, James Madison, and Jacksonville State, it really is nothing of my concern anymore.

And none of those 3 will See an invite from our conference.

SoFlaTrojan
03-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Please tell me when Jackbag in the Rockies is going to get banned from this board.

jagd1305
03-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Not sure. But he at least acknowledges that part of his mental and emotional makeup comprises of him becoming a sniveling informant when he gets his little feelings twisted by others.

Jericho Johnny
03-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by WeSuck.com View Post
Lotta youngsters on the 'board!!!

I was REALLY serious when I said I was not a basketball fan. I never went to a game at TROY. I recently attended an FSU game with some Yankee basketball-loving friends and I mentioned what a good view our seats in the "endzone" had. Also had to ask how many quarters were in a college game. Turns out they are halves or periods or something.

Yeah, it's pretty much football or bust for me. I understand baseball well enough, and I taught myself a good bit about soccer and cricket in the last few years hoping it would make them more exiting (not the most successful project ever, by the way).

Jericho Johnny
03-22-2013, 03:52 PM
That being said, being at a basketball game in person is a lot more fun than I'd have thought (kind of like baseball games in person, something I've done many a'times, Go Braves & Biscuits!).

I would LOVE to find the time to travel to Troy and watch a game in the new area. It's a beautiful building. I spend a lot of my time in the Tallahassee's downtown area near their civic center / basketball arena and while it is big and nice enough inside, TROY's new arena is like Roman Coliseum pretty.