PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting High School Players=Winning Mythbusters Episode

WeSuck.com
03-11-2013, 10:49 AM
If he can recruit some HS players, coach, recruit and help us win...Hire Him!!!!

Again, no high school recruit that is DI READY is going to have Troy high on their list. Sorry, it's just the way it is. We are not Memphis. We do have a great Arena though, so that will help in the long run and some banners hangin there too (thanks to DM, no less).

Here is the current breakdown of SunBelt rosters...on average more than half of the 13-15 man squads are made up of JUCO, Transfer or Prep/Military School and Basketball Academy players.

MTSU: 6 JUCO Players + 2 Transfers + 2 Prep School (JUCO Light, although they come in as freshman) 10 non-HS recruits 28-5 overall record
USA: 5 JUCO + 2 Transfers + 3 Prep 10 non-HS recruits
FIU: 3 JUCO + 3 Transfers + 2 Prep 6 non-HS recruits
WKU: 2 JUCO + 4 Prep/Basketball Academies (whatever these are) 6 non-HS recruits
FAU: 0 JUCO + 4 Transfers + 5 Prep 9 non-HS recruits
TMTDM: 8 JUCO + 2 Transfers 10 non-HS recruits

ArkState: 3 JUCO Players + 5 Transfers 8 non-HS recruits
UALR: 4 JUCO 4 non-HS recruits
ULL: 2 JUCO + 2 Transfers + 1 Prep 5 non-HS recruits
North Texas: 4 JUCO + 2 Transfers + 2 Prep 8 non-HS recruits
ULM: 3 JUCO 3 non-HS recruits (4-23 record)

Future members:
Georgia State: 3 JUCO + 3 Transfers + 2 Prep 8 non-HS recruits
Texas State: 5 JUCO + 3 Transfers 8 non-HS recruits
UTA: 4 JUCO + 4 Transfers 8 non-HS recruits
AppState: 2 JUCO + 5 Transfers + 4 Prep 11 non-HS recruits
GaSouthern: 2 JUCO + 3Transfers 5 non-HS recruits

Your argument should be "we aren't recruiting the right JUCO players", not "we are recruiting too many of them".

Hemi Man
03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Well crap, there you go destroying everything with those pesky little facts.

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Troy had 12 Juco and transfers.no other team was close. We didn't even try to recruit a HS kid so we don't know till we try. We need to get a kid in the system more than two years, that would be a big help. I realize we can't recruit a whole roster of HS players, but we need to try to get a few.

WeSuck.com
03-11-2013, 01:55 PM
no other team was close

Right, with the exception of MTSU. They only finished 28-5.

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Right, with the exception of MTSU. They only finished 28-5.

They had hs players on their roster. Eight I think?

Navarre Trojan
03-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Troy had 12 Juco and transfers.no other team was close. We didn't even try to recruit a HS kid so we don't know till we try. We need to get a kid in the system more than two years, that would be a big help. I realize we can't recruit a whole roster of HS players, but we need to try to get a few.

You may have read the numbers wrong (or maybe it is me) but it looks like Middle had the exact same number of non -HS recruits, 10, as Troy, and they finished 28-5 and willl more than likely get an at large bid.

Basketball JUCOs are like that of football, they don't lack talent, they lack grades. That is why D-1s sign and place them, hoping they get their grades together and then they get them for 2 or 3 years.

Recruiting JUCOs are not bad, but you have to haave balance, maybe that is what most are saying here. My thought is that a JUCO is no different than the 1 year or 2 year players that leave early, balance is the same (see KY).

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 08:18 PM
You may have read the numbers wrong (or maybe it is me) but it looks like Middle had the exact same number of non -HS recruits, 10, as Troy, and they finished 28-5 and willl more than likely get an at large bid.

Basketball JUCOs are like that of football, they don't lack talent, they lack grades. That is why D-1s sign and place them, hoping they get their grades together and then they get them for 2 or 3 years.

Recruiting JUCOs are not bad, but you have to haave balance, maybe that is what most are saying here. My thought is that a JUCO is no different than the 1 year or 2 year players that leave early, balance is the same (see KY).

Balance I agree with. There is a need for juco players, but the problem I seen with Troy was chemistry. When you live and play with guys for 3-5 years you know them well and what they do. Like the chemistry with Bear and Boris and Danny Franks, Steven Adams and Tyler Clark had in football. That was developed by playing together for three years. I think it can benefit our BB program getting a few guys that play together for more than one season...jmo. Like football, baseball and softball, get a balance of both hs and juco.