PDA

View Full Version : Time To Make Troy History: Hire A Minority Head Coach

WeSuck.com
03-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Now, I stand just left of the militia movements and frown on any special hiring quotas, but this would be a good move for recruiting and burying some past history with the basketball program. More about that later. And I don't think we have had a Minority Head Coach in any sport - or any that I can remember.

If I was in Hartwell's shoes and thank goodness I am not, I wouldn't wait around for resumes to start coming in, I would call John Calapari, Rick Patino and Mike K and say "We have $XXX,000 to offer and a recruiting budget of $XX,000. Who would you recommend?" I would love Orlando Antigua (UK) or Kareem Richardson (UL), but they might be out of our range. We might need to look at an Assistant-Assistant Coach of a TOP PROGRAM. Someone probably about 30 years old.

Don't hire some pasty-white retread Assistant from a mid-tier SEC team. And don't think the new HC is thinking long-term. He wants to win early and move on. That's the cycle we should prepare for. We will have 7 or 8 HC's over the next 30 years.

And finally, I have heard a story (never confirmed and probably won't be) about Coach Archer recruiting a kid out of Chipley, Florida, that actually graduated from Carver High School in Dothan, but the school denied his admission based on his race (this was in 1967). The story seems plausible and the source of the story was around Troy in those days. And knowing Coach Archer, I could see him still recruiting him knowing the stir it would cause.

The player: some guy named Artis Gilmore eventually led Jacksonville University to the DI Title Game in 1970. He also still holds the NCAA season average for Rebounds Per Game at over 27 (27!!!!).

Do something BOLD and I mean REAL BOLD!!!

newnan trojan
03-10-2013, 05:03 PM
I don't think we should hire a minority head coach just for the sake of History.... If a White guy is in the mix and he's heads and shoulders better than the others they best hire that guy!

Trojans1andAll
03-10-2013, 05:07 PM
It's time to make TROY history and hire a coach that will recruit HS players for D-I.

Spiritual_Trojan
03-10-2013, 05:28 PM
I dont agree with you on this one wesuck.com. I don't thing we make anything better by saying, "hey our school was really stupid in the past so here's a hand out." Is racism stupid, yes very much so, but it goes both ways. To not hire the best coach because they are not of a certain skin color is just as bad as not allowing a great recruit into school just because of their skin color. That's why I think putting your race on college, job and loan applications is stupid, because what does it matter what color a person is if they fit the criteria and are the best person for it.

That being said, Troy needs to get the best coach they can then if the best coach is a minority we can talk about a historical milestone.

CHughes1102
03-10-2013, 05:33 PM
White, black, red, purple, green, orange, or any other color you can think of, who cares as long as he can win?

trojanbrutha
03-10-2013, 05:40 PM
I dont agree with you on this one wesuck.com. I don't thing we make anything better by saying, "hey our school was really stupid in the past so here's a hand out." Is racism stupid, yes very much so, but it goes both ways. To not hire the best coach because they are not of a certain skin color is just as bad as not allowing a great recruit into school just because of their skin color. That's why I think putting your race on college, job and loan applications is stupid, because what does it matter what color a person is if they fit the criteria and are the best person for it.

That being said, Troy needs to get the best coach they can then if the best coach is a minority we can talk about a historical milestone.

So, it's a hand-out to a minority and not a hand-out non-minority...? I never cease being amazed...

TroyFootball05
03-10-2013, 06:14 PM
So, it's a hand-out to a minority and not a hand-out non-minority...? I never cease being amazed...

If you hire someone just because he's a minority or give him an unfair advantage because he's a minority, that's a hand out. It would also be a handout if a guy was chosen simply because he wasn't a minority. I don't think the guy you quoted made any implications that he believed otherwise so whats the big deal?

dgoebel
03-10-2013, 07:36 PM
It's time to make TROY history and hire a coach that will recruit HS players for D-I.

Could not agree more. If we want to be successful we have to get some high school basketball recruits. Pick up a good juco when available but we need some players who play together longer than one season

WeSuck.com
03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
White, black, red, purple, green, orange, or any other color you can think of, who cares as long as he can win?

Couldn't agree more.

WeSuck.com
03-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Could not agree more. If we want to be successful we have to get some high school basketball recruits. Pick up a good juco when available but we need some players who play together longer than one season

If you want one decent high school player to even consider coming to Troy, we need someone young and dynamic. Someone that would possibly even draw some national press. We won't get that with some retred 45 year old Asst. Coach from Auburn.

Call the 3 top coaches in the South and the country and ask them who would be the best. I guarantee Calipari, Patino and Coach K won't let anyone ffrom their family fail.

They might even schedule a home game with us.

Spiritual_Trojan
03-10-2013, 08:17 PM

If a white guy is given a job over a black guy who is more qualified and would seemly do a better job then the white guy got a hand out. If a black guy gets a job over a white guy who is more qualified and would seemly do a better job then the black guy got a hand out. Both scenarios are racist and wrong. I believe Dr. King was correct when he said that a person should be judged by the content of their character not the color of their skin. The person who would do the best job should get the job.

WeSuck.com
03-10-2013, 08:26 PM
If a white guy is given a job over a black guy who is more qualified and would seemly do a better job then the white guy got a hand out. If a black guy gets a job over a white guy who is more qualified and would seemly do a better job then the black guy got a hand out. Both scenarios are racist and wrong. I believe Dr. King was correct when he said that a person should be judged by the content of their character not the color of their skin. The person who would do the best job should get the job.

I couldn't agree any more.

The question I ask myself is: Who is able to recruit the best possible talent out there AND then be able to produce some wins on tthe court?

Maybe I am racist in thinking that the two I mentioned will be able to recruit young minority kids better than a pasty white guy, but I also think those two can coach.

That's why if Calipari, Patino or Coach K recommend him, they can coach.

I also am being realistic in my expectations because of that Arena.

redwaver
03-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Now, I stand just left of the militia movements and frown on any special hiring quotas, but this would be a good move for recruiting and burying some past history with the basketball program. More about that later. And I don't think we have had a Minority Head Coach in any sport - or any that I can remember.

If I was in Hartwell's shoes and thank goodness I am not, I wouldn't wait around for resumes to start coming in, I would call John Calapari, Rick Patino and Mike K and say "We have $XXX,000 to offer and a recruiting budget of $XX,000. Who would you recommend?" I would love Orlando Antigua (UK) or Kareem Richardson (UL), but they might be out of our range. We might need to look at an Assistant-Assistant Coach of a TOP PROGRAM. Someone probably about 30 years old.

Don't hire some pasty-white retread Assistant from a mid-tier SEC team. And don't think the new HC is thinking long-term. He wants to win early and move on. That's the cycle we should prepare for. We will have 7 or 8 HC's over the next 30 years.

And finally, I have heard a story (never confirmed and probably won't be) about Coach Archer recruiting a kid out of Chipley, Florida, that actually graduated from Carver High School in Dothan, but the school denied his admission based on his race (this was in 1967). The story seems plausible and the source of the story was around Troy in those days. And knowing Coach Archer, I could see him still recruiting him knowing the stir it would cause.

The player: some guy named Artis Gilmore eventually led Jacksonville University to the DI Title Game in 1970. He also still holds the NCAA season average for Rebounds Per Game at over 27 (27!!!!).

Can we PLEASE get over the atrocities of years and years ago and STOP hiring or not hiring anyone because of their skin color. That is so old! Lord knows if we do that we better start looking for a Native American if doing so rights history's wrongs!! We could do apologetic acts for the rest of our lives and some will never be satisfied. I hope we don't pick athletes based on their skin color (and that is obvious) but their abilities so we should not do it for hiring coaches either. Hire the best we can afford and get on with life!!!

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 07:52 AM
He can be purple with pink hair. If he can recruit some HS players, coach, recruit and help us win...Hire Him!!!!

Tums
03-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Personally I Qualify as Native American Minority. With that said hiring anything less than the most qualified applicant that fits Troy due to race is discrimination (even a minority like myself).

WeSuck.com
03-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Personally I Qualify as Native American Minority. With that said hiring anything less than the most qualified applicant that fits Troy due to race is discrimination (even a minority like myself).

Not saying anything less. We just need to make a big splash with this hire if we are going to see any kind of difference.

DedicatedTrojan84
03-11-2013, 10:54 AM
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=91732&d=1346523125

Maybe just maybe people paying this much attention to race in this country instead of overlooking it and seeing everyone as equal is the problem? Maybe we should just hire the best man for the job even if his skin is Purple.

Pete
03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
:QUOTE=dgoebel;235945]He can be purple with pink hair. If he can recruit some HS players, coach, recruit and help us win...Hire Him!!!![/QUOTE]

You certainly are not referring to the possibility of hiring someone like, maybe, Dennis Rodman? Are you? :rollinglaugh:

Doug4Troy
03-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Well, if Troy does happen to hire a non-caucasian coach, it will interesting to see how many of those folks who claim they do not care about color, will actually complain that the coach's color was the only reason he/she was hired.

Talk about making history, try hiring a female to coach men's basketball. :eek:

Doug4Troy
03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
:rollinglaugh:QUOTE=dgoebel;235945]He can be purple with pink hair. If he can recruit some HS players, coach, recruit and help us win...Hire Him!!!!

You certainly are not referring to the possibility of hiring someone like, maybe, Dennis Rodman? Are you?

I bet he could recruit some HS kids... especially from Florida. Just sayin'. :jester:

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I bet he could recruit some HS kids... especially from Florida. Just sayin'. :jester:

He could get us a pipeline to that untapped North Korean basketball talent :rollinglaugh:

Doug4Troy
03-11-2013, 02:30 PM
He could get us a pipeline to that untapped North Korean basketball talent :rollinglaugh:

Good point... that is such an under-recruited market. :jester:

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
www.ocala.com/article/20130311/ARTICLES/130319965/1451?Title=Ryan=earns-FCSAA-Coach-of-the-Year-award

Definetely need to look at Coach Ryan. He has done a great job here at CCF

Lego
03-11-2013, 11:50 PM

- No need to restrict your calls to old white dudes, there are plenty of good non-white college basketball coaches to call for input.

- Wasn't CLB an old retread ? I think he worked out.

- Next thing you know someone is going to claim we need to be bold and hire a non-Christian.

The above post references stuff from 1967, enough said.

-John will hire the right person regardless.

Spiritual_Trojan
03-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Well, if Troy does happen to hire a non-caucasian coach, it will interesting to see how many of those folks who claim they do not care about color, will actually complain that the coach's color was the only reason he/she was hired.

I have enough faith in Troy to believe that whoever they hire will be hired because they were the best person for the job.

redwaver
03-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Can we PLEASE have one discussion about personnel without race being crammed into it. I don't want anyone to lose a job because of their skin color NOR do I want them to get one because of it. Both suck!!! I trust John Hartwell so lets get on with hiring the best we can afford.....whomever it is!!!

JPSousa1898
03-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Honestly, I want to hire someone who is going to be Cardinal and Black through and through like Mr. Hartwell. He jumped in to the deep end, and that's what we need on top of all of the other things people mention. We need someone who is going to have an infectious Trojan spirit that will quickly spread to others and get them to WANT to become a part of Troy and make something good into something better. If we can find that, I will be more than pleased.

Doug4Troy
03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Can we PLEASE have one discussion about personnel without race being crammed into it. I don't want anyone to lose a job because of their skin color NOR do I want them to get one because of it. Both suck!!! I trust John Hartwell so lets get on with hiring the best we can afford.....whomever it is!!!

Yes we can, and we do. Not every discussion has race in it... most on this board don't. But this thread happens to address race (even in the title), that's why it is appropriate here. Nothing wrong with having a dialogue about these type of issues. You are getting too worked up, you need some tailgate time. :eatdrink004:

Navarre Trojan
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
What about Jeff Capelle (sp) at UNC? Was HC @ Okla., run wasn't very good, but a really good coach, now on Roy Williams staff @ UNC. Looking for another chance in D1 as an HC?
Just another name for the hat...

redwaver
03-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Yes we can, and we do. Not every discussion has race in it... most on this board don't. But this thread happens to address race (even in the title), that's why it is appropriate here. Nothing wrong with having a dialogue about these type of issues. You are getting too worked up, you need some tailgate time. :eatdrink004:
Yep, probably need some tailgating but nevertheless I am fed up with important issues being marginalized by race. We have tons of minority athletes and that is great. The percentage is most appropriate for the population so inferences that Troy has a race problem or history is a shame. Yes, we were lacking in minorities for a lot if years And that was unfortunate but it was the times. A lot of people have done a lot to correct that wrong doing and our minority numbers now are acceptable. We just hired and lost a fine black coach. We have some outstanding minority athletes and have had for years. IF the next coach is black, yellow, red or white is of no importance to me. I just want him to be the best applicant we can afford. We will never reach that level of race not mattering (and thats what we say we want) in recruiting or hiring if it is made the center piece in conversations. We need to get beyond that and I for one thinks Troy has done a fine job to this point but that is just MY opinion.

Buzz Lightyear
03-13-2013, 05:23 PM
You know if you love basketball and I do....maybe it is the Kansas born heritage.....I have cheered my butt off at Chipola College for years for teams...most were black players and never thought a thing about it....till a couple of months ago. My wife is associated with the cheerleaders there and while in the bathroom a lady asked what she was going to do to recruit more black cheerleaders......her response was that this year unfortunately none tried out this year......has had some before but basically there have always been more white than black cheerleaders ......maybe due to having to pay more in High School to cheer I simply do not know....but it got us to thinking does anyone presume to ask the coach to recruit more white basketball players......I am proud that never ever in 23 years here in Marianna have I gone to a game of basketball high school or college where I thought ONCE that there were more blacks on the court than whites......known a good many of these kids boys and girls (male and female) have been close to many and almost all of them were black..........the debate about a coach being black or white is on the national scene and people should be able to discuss WHO is hired and did we take a white guy or black guy will come up as it has here.......the good news that most folks who go to basketball games could care less.....and hopefully WE as in Troy university will have a good number of folks apply Black and White.........and I hope NOT once does someone wonder if the other COLOR was over looked.......In the hearts of men and women prejudice may still reside but in the hearts of most we are light years from the 50's 60s or 70's in the South.......I would love to be able to go alll Troy basketball games as I started to go to some this year......and I will CHEER for a green coach and purple players or whom ever wears the colors of Troy.....as to Chipola basketball loved it and by the way in 23 years of great success this years womens team has been my favorite EVER to watch....the iron 7....beautiful women with good basketball smarts, great execution and work there butts off......6 girls that are not white, and one that is not black and it does not make one DANG bit of difference......cause they are ABSOLUTELY fantastic kids......if Chanda got them all we would be so lucky...

Jericho Johnny
03-13-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't think we should hire a coach just because he / she is a minority. That said, if the best candidate IS a minority, I don't want to hear or feel that it is likely that the people in charge went with the white candidate nor do I want to hear any TROY fans complaining about that coach's race. Let's be a meritocracy and move away from the tired parochialism of the past.

redwaver
03-13-2013, 05:37 PM
You know if you love basketball and I do....maybe it is the Kansas born heritage.....I have cheered my butt off at Chipola College for years for teams...most were black players and never thought a thing about it....till a couple of months ago. My wife is associated with the cheerleaders there and while in the bathroom a lady asked what she was going to do to recruit more black cheerleaders......her response was that this year unfortunately none tried out this year......has had some before but basically there have always been more white than black cheerleaders ......maybe due to having to pay more in High School to cheer I simply do not know....but it got us to thinking does anyone presume to ask the coach to recruit more white basketball players......I am proud that never ever in 23 years here in Marianna have I gone to a game of basketball high school or college where I thought ONCE that there were more blacks on the court than whites......known a good many of these kids boys and girls (male and female) have been close to many and almost all of them were black..........the debate about a coach being black or white is on the national scene and people should be able to discuss WHO is hired and did we take a white guy or black guy will come up as it has here.......the good news that most folks who go to basketball games could care less.....and hopefully WE as in Troy university will have a good number of folks apply Black and White.........and I hope NOT once does someone wonder if the other COLOR was over looked.......In the hearts of men and women prejudice may still reside but in the hearts of most we are light years from the 50's 60s or 70's in the South.......I would love to be able to go alll Troy basketball games as I started to go to some this year......and I will CHEER for a green coach and purple players or whom ever wears the colors of Troy.....as to Chipola basketball loved it and by the way in 23 years of great success this years womens team has been my favorite EVER to watch....the iron 7....beautiful women with good basketball smarts, great execution and work there butts off......6 girls that are not white, and one that is not black and it does not make one DANG bit of difference......cause they are ABSOLUTELY fantastic kids......if Chanda got them all we would be so lucky...
AMEN!!!! Well said!:wave:

BlazerUnit
03-20-2013, 02:13 AM
If a white guy is given a job over a black guy who is more qualified and would seemly do a better job then the white guy got a hand out. If a black guy gets a job over a white guy who is more qualified and would seemly do a better job then the black guy got a hand out. Both scenarios are racist and wrong.
I would challenge you that "Let's make a concentrated effort to consider and possibly hire a minority candidate" is dramatically different from "Those Ed Begley Jrs aren't welcome here, and they never will as long as I (along with many of my colleagues) remain in charge--they can go coach or play that pasty-ball at their own schools".

Oddly, that's not the biggest reason I feel compelled to chime in here.

I believe Dr. King was correct when he said that a person should be judged by the content of their character not the color of their skin. The person who would do the best job should get the job.

True, Dr. King dreamed about such a future in a pretty significant speech he gave in August 1963. Now peep a quote from a book of his published the next summer:
"Whenever this issue of compensatory or preferential treatment for the Negro is
raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree, but he should ask for nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic. For it is obvious that if a man enters the starting line of a race three hundred years after another man, the first would have to perform some incredible feat in order to catch up." --Why We Can't Wait, 1964

And in an interview with Playboy (yes, Playboy) (http://holygypsy.wordpress.com/2009/07/10/martin-luther-king-jr-playboy-interview/):
PLAYBOY: Do you feel it’s fair to request a multibillion-dollar program of preferential treatment for the Negro, or for any other minority group?
MARTIN LUTHER KING: I do indeed. Can any fair-minded citizen deny that the Negro has been deprived? Few people reflect that for two centuries the Negro was enslaved, and robbed of any wages—potential accrued wealth which would have been the legacy of his descendants. All of America’s wealth today could not adequately compensate its Negroes for his centuries of exploitation and humiliation. It is an economic fact that a program such as I propose would certainly cost far less than any computation of two centuries of unpaid wages plus accumulated interest. In any case, I do not intend that this program of economic aid should apply only to the Negro; it should benefit the disadvantaged of all races. --Playboy, January 1965

One more quote, from King's final book written in 1967:
"A society that has done something special against the Negro for hundreds of years must now do something special for him in order to equip him to compete on a just and equal basis." --Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?

Of the two examples I gave you earlier, only one is markedly close to being systematically unfair--the one where denial of opportunity was definite, and in more than one place.

donnabrock
03-20-2013, 10:56 PM
And I don't think we have had a Minority Head Coach in any sport - or any that I can remember.

Simply a statement of fact:

Charles Oliver, TSU Head Track Coach 1981-1988

DEFinitely a Trojan ALL THE WAY!

...Inaugural Class member of the TROY Sports HOF:

http://www.troytrojans.com/hof.aspx?hof=9&path=&kiosk=

*Blue Skies*

Spiritual_Trojan
03-21-2013, 08:12 AM
I would challenge you that "Let's make a concentrated effort to consider and possibly hire a minority candidate" is dramatically different from "Those Ed Begley Jrs aren't welcome here, and they never will as long as I (along with many of my colleagues) remain in charge--they can go coach or play that pasty-ball at their own schools".

Oddly, that's not the biggest reason I feel compelled to chime in here.

True, Dr. King dreamed about such a future in a pretty significant speech he gave in August 1963. Now peep a quote from a book of his published the next summer:

And in an interview with Playboy (yes, Playboy) (http://holygypsy.wordpress.com/2009/07/10/martin-luther-king-jr-playboy-interview/):

One more quote, from King's final book written in 1967:

Of the two examples I gave you earlier, only one is markedly close to being systematically unfair--the one where denial of opportunity was definite, and in more than one place.

If special treatment is given when does it does it stop? This is the major flaw with this line of thought, how long is special treatment needed? Who will determine how long this period of special treatment last? Also when you get to that point will it simply stop or will it take what it took for slavery and equal rights to be guaranteed in the first place?

All that aside the biggest issue I see coming from this is rather than bring equality and seeing people we will continue to see people according to their race. What happened in the past was a travesty, but you cannot fix the past by flipping the tables for the future. If you try all you will do is cause the same problems, except in the future it will be different people fighting for equal rights.

stonewall009
03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Remember that Age Discrimination holds as much merit within the Civil Rights Act as race does.

Also, please stop falling into the liberal media pop culture mindset and referencing the South in every racial debate. Fact: Racism is bad and we as a "Nation" are making progress. However, don't be confused or mislead; Northern states fighting for the Union had the institution of slavery (4 of them because the Emancipation never freed Slaves within Northern Boundaries) and racism is a nationwide problem and not just regional as the New York and California driven media would have us all believe. Since racism exists everywhere and even outside of our narrow minded American lens of just black and white, it is easy to pull data samples from the South and magnify them so that it appears as a "Southern Thang". Bottom-line, racism isn't only regional and as a proud Southerner, I see the beauty in my Virginia culture and heritage (Smaller Federal Government, not one mindset dictating regulations and laws for the country as a whole, etc.....), but that's a whole other debate. If Troy even considered hiring someone for one trait that they feel they can exploit (Age, Race, Religion, etc..) I will no longer associate myself with the University.

Common Sense would imply that if racism was only a "Southern Thang" and that's why the "Proud Northern Army" invaded Virginia then why in the 1960's were minorities still fighting for Civil Rights a hundred years after the South's defeat??? Answer: because racism is a national epidemic. Get real, this debate and flawed logic is so old.

Spiritual_Trojan
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Remember that Age Discrimination holds as much merit within the Civil Rights Act as race does.

Also, please stop falling into the liberal media pop culture mindset and referencing the South in every racial debate. Fact: Racism is bad and we as a "Nation" are making progress. However, don't be confused or mislead; Northern states fighting for the Union had the institution of slavery (4 of them because the Emancipation never freed Slaves within Northern Boundaries) and racism is a nationwide problem and not just regional as the New York and California driven media would have us all believe. Since racism exists everywhere and even outside of our narrow minded American lens of just black and white, it is easy to pull data samples from the South and magnify them so that it appears as a "Southern Thang". Bottom-line, racism isn't only regional and as a proud Southerner, I see the beauty in my Virginia culture and heritage (Smaller Federal Government, not one mindset dictating regulations and laws for the country as a whole, etc.....), but that's a whole other debate. If Troy even considered hiring someone for one trait that they feel they can exploit (Age, Race, Religion, etc..) I will no longer associate myself with the University.

Common Sense would imply that if racism was only a "Southern Thang" and that's why the "Proud Northern Army" invaded Virginia then why in the 1960's were minorities still fighting for Civil Rights a hundred years after the South's defeat??? Answer: because racism is a national epidemic. Get real, this debate and flawed logic is so old.

Just to throw in some supporting evidence.

Statistics as of 2011

The three states with the highest number of hate crimes reported in: California, New York, New Jersey.
The three states with the fewest numbers reported: Mississippi, Wyoming, Louisiana

Looking at it on little bit more level field with incidence per every 100k

Top three states: Washington D.C. at 13.43, Massachusetts at 5.77, and New Jersey at 5.76

Bottom three states: Mississippi at 0.13, Georgia at 0.20, and Louisiana 0.20

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2011/tables/table-12

http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-2011-hate-crime-statistics-2012-12