PDA

View Full Version : Coach rumors?

newnan trojan
03-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Any rumors as to who might replace Coach Maestri? I know it's still early but I'm sure John Hartwell had known for a while This was Maestris last season.

I'm expecting a great hire for the great facility. John Hartwell was brought on for a reason as a basketball guy. This is exciting times!

WeSuck.com
03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
The new Arena will certainly be the biggest draw, but don't expect the next coach to hang around more than 3 seasons and don't expect an influx of high school kids in the line up. 8 of the 13 players that dress out for MTSU were either Juco players or transfers.

If you are a decent HS player, Troy is about #150 on your list.

dgoebel
03-10-2013, 02:13 PM
The new Arena will certainly be the biggest draw, but don't expect the next coach to hang around more than 3 seasons and don't expect an influx of high school kids in the line up. 8 of the 13 players that dress out for MTSU were either Juco players or transfers.

If you are a decent HS player, Troy is about #150 on your list.

Disagree. If a hs player doesn't't want Troy then why would a juco? Maestro didn't even try to recruit a hs player. If we don't then we can't win long term. Sell the arena, playing time, campus etc. it can be done.

WeSuck.com
03-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Disagree. If a hs player doesn't't want Troy then why would a juco? Maestro didn't even try to recruit a hs player. If we don't then we can't win long term. Sell the arena, playing time, campus etc. it can be done.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the next coach doesn't want to be in Troy "long-term" and that's o.k.. Personally, I could care less if the kid comes to Troy for 5 years or 2.

And selling Troy-the city is not going to help any.

dgoebel
03-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the next coach doesn't want to be in Troy "long-term" and that's o.k.. Personally, I could care less if the kid comes to Troy for 5 years or 2.

To early to say what the next coach wants or how long he will stay. Larry Kerhles has been the football coach at Mount Union for 26 years. Do you think maybe he could have left? All coaches differ, some our climbers, some want stability. Chances are the new coach, if succesful gets hired away, but we don't know that for certain.

newnan trojan
03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
I just want to win... I don't care how the coach does it and I don't even care if he only stays for 3 years. I just want Championships in those 3 years and NCAA bids!

dgoebel
03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
I just want to win... I don't care how the coach does it and I don't even care if he only stays for 3 years. I just want Championships in those 3 years and NCAA bids!

I am looking for a young, energetic coach to come in. Will take a year or two to right the ship but it should be exciting.

Navarre Trojan
03-10-2013, 05:43 PM
I think you might see us go the juco route to pick up a coach, someone else from the Panhandle conference, they had 4 or 5 in the top 25 this year consistently. Also, without a doubt, the best juco confdrence in the country.

dgoebel
03-10-2013, 07:34 PM
We have a tremendous juco coach here at College of Central Florida in Ocala. Coached Hunter Williams for two seasons

WeSuck.com
03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
We have a tremendous juco coach here at College of Central Florida in Ocala. Coached Hunter Williams for two seasons

And he will bring in a whole cadre of Juco players with him.

Hemi Man
03-10-2013, 08:23 PM
And he will bring in a whole cadre of Juco players with him.

Yea, but he's from Florida. You can't win without Florida people on your team.

redwaver
03-10-2013, 09:22 PM

Can you explain why a basketball coach, given the rather nice arena he now has, can't recruit a high school kid to Troy. Coach Blakney has done it for years as has coach Pierce. It's time to stop the never ending excuses and put up or shut up in the round ball talk. I like the idea of contacting coaches like Duke's or NC for names. Couldn't hurt.

redwaver
03-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Yea, but he's from Florida. You can't win without Florida people on your team.
Hemi, surly you jest! There are great athletes in every state but all the other major universities don't come to Florida just for the sun. You would have to have you eyes and ears closed if you didn't realize the hotbed of athletes in this state. The big boys can't get um all! Recruit every state within reason, just don't ignore one of the best for talent. How did WKU turn their program around so fast? He went to Tampa and the surrounding area and got a bunch of athletes we might could have gotten had we sought them out. Basketball is no different. Just sayin'!:-)

Randyland54
03-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Bruce Pearl is available and looking to get back in to coaching. Tis would be a good 3 year program but I don't think Troy has that kind of money.

jagd1305
03-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Hemi was making a tongue in cheek reference to a post here sometime back about the essential need for Florida born athletes. I personally would be interested in the coaching job myself but will instead be focusing my interests towards becoming the next pope for the Church of Rome. Love me some cardinal slippers!

newnan trojan
03-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Lets go after Chris Collins.

Troy87
03-11-2013, 06:05 AM
There has been a considerable amount of interest in the program from potential coaches since John arrived at Troy, so I don't think there will be a lack of good candidates to choose from.

I'm going to suggest, expect the next coach to be a well known name, someone who has been a player at an outstanding basketball school, and a HC at a mid-major and a major program.

Hemi Man
03-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Hemi was making a tongue in cheek reference to a post here sometime back about the essential need for Florida born athletes. I personally would be interested in the coaching job myself but will instead be focusing my interests towards becoming the next pope for the Church of Rome. Love me some cardinal slippers!

You are corerct. I was just having a little fun. I don't care where the coaches and players are from. I trust John will make a good hire.

FoulPolePhenom
03-11-2013, 06:56 AM
There has been a considerable amount of interest in the program from potential coaches since John arrived at Troy, so I don't think there will be a lack of good candidates to choose from.

I'm going to suggest, expect the next coach to be a well known name, someone who has been a player at an outstanding basketball school, and a HC at a mid-major and a major program.

Pelphrey?

redwaver
03-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Heck, I knew that. Just reminding him it don't hurt to scout Florida. That's where coach Rowell came from. ;-) !! For dome reason, Lakeland, Tampa, Ft Lauderdale, Pahokee, Belle Glade historically have a ton of athletes. Other smaller places like Lake City, St Augustine, Madison, Tallahassee and Pensacola are right there as well. I had not "gigged" Hemi in weeks and I enjoyed his tailgate so much I just couldn't resist. All of us simply want Troy to do whatever it takes wherever it takes to get the best athletes and coaches we can sign or afford in all sports.

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 07:50 AM
Hemi, surly you jest! There are great athletes in every state but all the other major universities don't come to Florida just for the sun. You would have to have you eyes and ears closed if you didn't realize the hotbed of athletes in this state. The big boys can't get um all! Recruit every state within reason, just don't ignore one of the best for talent. How did WKU turn their program around so fast? He went to Tampa and the surrounding area and got a bunch of athletes we might could have gotten had we sought them out. Basketball is no different. Just sayin'!:-)

:thumb: Unless you are from around that area you don't appreciate the talent level. Another state I think is ripe for the taking is Tennessee. I think we need to start recruiting there also, especially basketball. Plenty of talent and plenty of rural kids who would have no problem with Troy. HS basketball in TN and KY is HUGE!!!

jagd1305
03-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Redwaver, I've never had the opportunity to crash Hemi's tailgate. Are the eats there any good or is it some of that Cali tofu type stuff?

Hemi Man
03-11-2013, 12:07 PM
:thumb: Unless you are from around that area you don't appreciate the talent level. Another state I think is ripe for the taking is Tennessee. I think we need to start recruiting there also, especially basketball. Plenty of talent and plenty of rural kids who would have no problem with Troy. HS basketball in TN and KY is HUGE!!!

Is that the same as saying if you aren't in Troy you can't appreciate or knock what is or isn't going on?

I don't believe that to be so.

Redwaver, I've never had the opportunity to crash Hemi's tailgate. Are the eats there any good or is it some of that Cali tofu type stuff?

The closest thing to Tofu at our tailgate would be the grass growing on the sidewalk. Although we did have a Veggie Tray this past weekend, it was squeezed in between lots of Pork, BBQ sauce, and cake.

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Is that the same as saying if you aren't in Troy you can't appreciate or knock what is or isn't going on?

I don't believe that to be so.

The closest thing to Tofu at our tailgate would be the grass growing on the sidewalk. Although we did have a Veggie Tray this past weekend, it was squeezed in between lots of Pork, BBQ sauce, and cake.

I bet there was ranch dressing for the veggie tray :bounce012: To get me to eat it it would need to be covered in hormel chilli :wave:

Just a opinion on the football. When Bradenton Manatee, Lakeland High, St. Thomas Aquinas have really good teams, it is impressive watching them. Big, fast, physical etc...especially Manatee and St. Thomas

Doug4Troy
03-11-2013, 01:54 PM
I bet there was ranch dressing for the veggie tray :bounce012:

Yes there was... othewise it would be just raw veggies lying on a plate. :jester:

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Yes there was... othewise it would be just raw veggies lying on a plate. :jester:

I know. Lord forbid any of us eat a raw veggie :eek: they are all vile weeds to me. Give me meat and taters any day :thumb:

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 02:43 PM
www.ocala.com/article/20130311/ARTICLES/130319965/1451?Title=Ryan=earns-FCSAA-Coach-of-the-Year-award

Need to take a look at Coach Ryan from here at CCF. He is a winner.

TrojanFanatic
03-11-2013, 05:42 PM
I know. Lord forbid any of us eat a raw veggie :eek: they are all vile weeds to me. Give me meat and taters any day :thumb:

but...but...taters are veggies.......:jester:

redwaver
03-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Oh, heaven forbid tofu. That group really knows how to set a table....even at 32 degrees. Some down home let your belt out type eatin'! Ya gotta try it once!

dgoebel
03-11-2013, 08:21 PM
but...but...taters are veggies.......:jester:

Just about the only one I like. Beans and peas that is about it for me,

Lego
03-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Heard Coach Felix is getting a look.

newnan trojan
03-11-2013, 11:43 PM

God they better not! We need new blood!

troy4ever
03-12-2013, 08:22 AM

I would revolt.

Hemi Man
03-12-2013, 08:46 AM

You heard wrong according to Felix.

Sent: Mar 11, 2013 1:08p

In interview, Felix says his Troy career is done but is looking to still continue coaching somewhere else.

sent via Twitter for iPhone
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/DEwiseTrojan/status/311176695719796737

FortTroy
03-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Ben Fletcher

http://troytrojans.com/images/2009/9/2/player_Fletcher_Ben09.jpg

Former Troy great Ben Fletcher is in his eighth season as an assistant coach on the Trojan bench. He was named as an assistant coach in June of 2005 after helping the program while completing his degree the previous two seasons.

Fletcher has been instrumental in the Trojans’ rise in the Sun Belt Conference, culminating in Troy’s first Sun Belt title in 2010 and second straight postseason berth.

He was influential in helping guide the Trojans to a 14-4 league record for the 2008-09 season. The 2008-09 campaign was highlighted by wins over every member of the Sun Belt Conference – Troy was the only team to accomplish that feat. The Trojans also posted a 10 game improvement in conference record over the previous year.

In his role as an assistant, Fletcher oversees film exchange, while assisting with recruiting and scouting reports. On the floor, he helps the Trojan backcourt.

Prior to joining the coaching ranks, Fletcher was one of the greatest players in Troy’s Division I history. A native of Selma, Fletcher played for the Trojans from 2001-03, starting 58 of the 59 games during that span. He averaged 13.4 points and 2.6 rebounds during his career, but is more known for his three-point shooting ability.

Fletcher holds Troy’s Division I single-season three-point record with 92 during the 2002-03 campaign and stands sixth on the career list with 160 in just two seasons.

He was named first-team All-Atlantic Sun his senior year, helping the Trojans to their first-ever Division I NCAA Tournament appearance.

While completing his degree requirements, Fletcher worked as a student assistant coach with the Trojans. He earned a B.S. in Sport and Fitness Management from Troy in 2004.

CHughes1102
03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
People we need a BIG name. Not some goofy assistant who is already here.

Cane gone Trojan
03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
I wonder if Bobby Knight would be up for a challenge....Get Bobby to come to Troy and I along with probably 5000 others would be wanting to get season tickets tomorrow.

TrojanEmpire
03-12-2013, 12:18 PM

And who might you be referring to?

dgoebel
03-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Coach Ryan here at CCF. Florida juco champs and one heck of a coach

Lego
03-12-2013, 08:15 PM

You heard wrong according to Felix.

Sent: Mar 11, 2013 1:08p

In interview, Felix says his Troy career is done but is looking to still continue coaching somewhere else.

sent via Twitter for iPhone
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/DEwiseTrojan/status/311176695719796737

Gotcha Hemi.

"Too easy, no too damn easy". (what movie ?)

WeSuck.com
03-20-2013, 03:45 PM
People we need a BIG name. Not some goofy assistant who is already here.

PErfect example of why our fanbase scks...that "some goofy assistant" happens to be one of the greatest Troy basketball players ever...it won't be before too long, people will start calling Mike Turk, some goofy Coach at Huntingdon.

As far as big names go, NONE of the suggestions on this board or anywhere else mention a BIG name. We won't get a BIG name, unless somebody gets caught in a sorority house chasing the young girls around.

Goofy Assistant Coach:

Prior to joining the coaching ranks, Fletcher was one of the greatest players in Troy’s Division I history. A native of Selma, Fletcher played for the Trojans from 2001-03, starting 58 of the 59 games during that span. He averaged 13.4 points and 2.6 rebounds during his career, but is more known for his three-point shooting ability.

Fletcher holds Troy’s Division I single-season three-point record with 92 during the 2002-03 campaign and stands sixth on the career list with 160 in just two seasons.

Not saying he should be the HC, but come on people, I would take him over some plain-Jane Juco coach in Ocala or DII coach in Huntsville.

dgoebel
03-20-2013, 04:13 PM
PErfect example of why our fanbase scks...that "some goofy assistant" happens to be one of the greatest Troy basketball players ever...it won't be before too long, people will start calling Mike Turk, some goofy Coach at Huntingdon.

As far as big names go, NONE of the suggestions on this board or anywhere else mention a BIG name. We won't get a BIG name, unless somebody gets caught in a sorority house chasing the young girls around.

Goofy Assistant Coach:

Not saying he should be the HC, but come on people, I would take him over some plain-Jane Juco coach in Ocala or DII coach in Huntsville.

And what makes him more qualified than a juco coach playing for a National Championship or a proven winner at DII? Cause he played at Troy for Maestri or because he knows how to drive to the juco's Maestri liked?

And Mike Turk is a proven coach and a winner.

CHughes1102
03-20-2013, 07:22 PM

I have done research on this guy and have watched them play in the NJCAA tournament via online streaming. Would be an amazing hire. His team is well disciplined.

dgoebel
03-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I have done research on this guy and have watched them play in the NJCAA tournament via online streaming. Would be an amazing hire. His team is well disciplined.

They just won the national championship. This guy can coach.

Navarre Trojan
03-24-2013, 03:52 PM

But can he recruit? Most of his players come to him via a 'sign and place' deal from the 4 year schools. Just like the team he beat for the National Championship, NW Fl State, they don't have to recruit much when their big school contacts send kids their way.

Going to be the same questions our Woman's coach is going to have to answer. It is just a lot tougher getting talent on your squad that also has to qualify. That would be my only reservation, with him, or Forbes, the guy who he beat, at NWFL St., another great juco coach.

WeSuck.com
03-24-2013, 11:52 PM
But can he recruit? Most of his players come to him via a 'sign and place' deal from the 4 year schools. Just like the team he beat for the National Championship, NW Fl State, they don't have to recruit much when their big school contacts send kids their way.

Going to be the same questions our Woman's coach is going to have to answer. It is just a lot tougher getting talent on your squad that also has to qualify. That would be my only reservation, with him, or Forbes, the guy who he beat, at NWFL St., another great juco coach.

I would take him, IF he brought his team from CF with him, but then half the board would go crazy. Plus, I don't they have sign and place in BB. BB recruiting is the most confusing thing in the world-thats why getting JUCO kids is so attractive. They HAVE to have an AA degree to enroll, so that means 2 years to get their degree. Much much easier than having to babysit some 18 yo kid for 5 years, assuming he red shirts.

newnan trojan
03-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Why not make Jeremy Rowell the new HC of the men's basketball program. :jester:

redwaver
03-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Why not make Jeremy Rowell the new HC of the men's basketball program. :jester:
He couldn't do much worse! Trust JH!!! He's a good ' 'un!

Buzz Lightyear
03-25-2013, 08:09 AM

The guy can coach and team was very disciplined......I sat behind them or amidst them at Chipola during the state tounament. Very polite kids....glad for them since I really do not like the evil empire at North West Floida State. It is interesting in a good many really rale on the juco players but there are some really good ones out there.

From Chipola Sam Groomes point guard Oklahoma out of tourny.
"""""""""""""""" Marcos Knight from MTSU out of tourny
"""""""""""""""" Malcom Armstead...Point guard Witchita State in sweet 16.

These are kids who could be playing at a school where there are connections...if we hire a coach such as Central Florida coach does he bring in heavy hitters......well most of the guys are probably already committed to larger schools....do you get a quick influx of really talented JUCO guys who gets you off to a good start.....yes then coach gone in 3 years.....We at Troy be it in football or basketball after Larry retires is going to be a swinging gate for any successful coach...........

How did Gonzaga maintain in basketball? Not that they are really that good but they are consistent.....a coach who chose to stay.....How did Boise stay good .....a coach that did not leave......why over all has Troy had a pretty good rep in football.....a coach that stayed......it is important to have that GUY who just wants to stay and build.....Who truly is not about the money.....and after a while is rewarded.....THERE are not that many of them...

I covered lots of topics but Central Florida coach would be good for the 3 years he might be here and who knows.....

I think Chanda Rigby will have an easier time because womens teams have lots of kids who are really good without the real high pressure on a larger percentage than the guys at already being committed so I think she can tap into the best juco conference (panhandle Florida) pretty easily for years to come...

Navarre Trojan
03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
the guy can coach and team was very disciplined......i sat behind them or amidst them at chipola during the state tounament. Very polite kids....glad for them since i really do not like the evil empire at north west floida state. It is interesting in a good many really rale on the juco players but there are some really good ones out there.

From chipola sam groomes point guard oklahoma out of tourny.
"""""""""""""""" marcos knight from mtsu out of tourny
"""""""""""""""" malcom armstead...point guard witchita state in sweet 16.

These are kids who could be playing at a school where there are connections...if we hire a coach such as central florida coach does he bring in heavy hitters......well most of the guys are probably already committed to larger schools....do you get a quick influx of really talented juco guys who gets you off to a good start.....yes then coach gone in 3 years.....we at troy be it in football or basketball after larry retires is going to be a swinging gate for any successful coach...........

How did gonzaga maintain in basketball? Not that they are really that good but they are consistent.....a coach who chose to stay.....how did boise stay good .....a coach that did not leave......why over all has troy had a pretty good rep in football.....a coach that stayed......it is important to have that guy who just wants to stay and build.....who truly is not about the money.....and after a while is rewarded.....there are not that many of them...

I covered lots of topics but central florida coach would be good for the 3 years he might be here and who knows.....

I think chanda rigby will have an easier time because womens teams have lots of kids who are really good without the real high pressure on a larger percentage than the guys at already being committed so i think she can tap into the best juco conference (panhandle florida) pretty easily for years to come...

evil emprire nwf state?????

Hemi Man
03-25-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm going to guess that the new coach has already been hired. I'm thinking an assistant from the ACC or SEC.

As for Rigby I expect her to bring in some jucos this season that will have an immediate impact.

barrick
03-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Butler's Associate Head Coach, Matthew Graves, just signed as South Alabama new head coach. He is a really good coach and one of the best recruiters in the country. He recruited 2 future NBA players to a small school in Indianapolis and has helped sign 4 star talent to Butler. And, he ends up in the Sun Belt. I really hope Troy had an eye on him too.

trojanbrutha
03-25-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm going to guess that the new coach has already been hired. I'm thinking an assistant from the ACC or SEC.

As for Rigby I expect her to bring in some jucos this season that will have an immediate impact.

Barry said that there should be an announcement this week, on SportsLine this morning...no hint as to whom it would be, though...

CHughes1102
03-25-2013, 10:42 AM

I agree with this. I think recruiting HS players builds a foundation, but recruiting some JUCOs for an immediate impact is fine. Just don't go overboard with it where you only have 3 HS players that never play like Maestri did.

Hemi Man
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Barry said that there should be an announcement this week, on SportsLine this morning...no hint as to whom it would be, though...

Whoever the new coach is, if he isn't current in 1 of the two conferences I mentioned I'm betting he will have experience in one or the other.

newnan trojan
03-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Lutz....

TrojanEmpire
03-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Lutz....

IMHO I would think a younger guy would be the way to go. Our AD is a basketball guy and seems to be committed to getting an energetic coach who is willing to do what it takes to get get us a team worthy if our new arena

dgoebel
03-25-2013, 08:47 PM

1 or 2 will be fine, if we go over that then we are going to be like Maestri, rebuilding every year. There is going to have to be a bite the bullet and build for the long term also.

Buzz Lightyear
03-26-2013, 08:13 AM
evil emprire nwf state?????

Only partially kidding.....nice arena over there but having a concession stand solely for just the Home century club side and as far as how that allows for only home fans to sit behind the opposition team along with in the past NOT THIS YEAR a resistance by security from stopping badgering of players and cheerleaders by roudy students or individuals.....and unfortunately of all the places that we have been( and no I can not rate the Chipola fans) the collectivley experience in old gym and new NOT UNIVERSAL the most rude fans in the conference......most of that comes from how the areana is set up in the exclusivity and the lack of security provided to opposition fans, players and cheerleaders.....I am sure there are plenty of nice people that attend NWF games but the butt heads tend to over shadow the majority of just good fans. There have been numerous times where young kids such as middle school age to high school and college have been allowed to yell scream berate badger and harrass cheerleaders and players......I don't expect any school to not take shots but the level of which security and administration at NWF State allows this is way too much.....and when players coaches or cheerleaders or fans protest it is pretty much not handled.......THIS YEAR was the first where security actually removed people from behind Chipolas bench for harrasment then allowed them back after students and parents protested after about 5 minutes and when one security guard tried to restrain them again he was removed by the upper level security guards........I like the rivalry and the intensity....and yes some of the smack......but that is how NWF got the name over here.

Navarre Trojan
03-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Only partially kidding.....nice arena over there but having a concession stand solely for just the Home century club side and as far as how that allows for only home fans to sit behind the opposition team along with in the past NOT THIS YEAR a resistance by security from stopping badgering of players and cheerleaders by roudy students or individuals.....and unfortunately of all the places that we have been( and no I can not rate the Chipola fans) the collectivley experience in old gym and new NOT UNIVERSAL the most rude fans in the conference......most of that comes from how the areana is set up in the exclusivity and the lack of security provided to opposition fans, players and cheerleaders.....I am sure there are plenty of nice people that attend NWF games but the butt heads tend to over shadow the majority of just good fans. There have been numerous times where young kids such as middle school age to high school and college have been allowed to yell scream berate badger and harrass cheerleaders and players......I don't expect any school to not take shots but the level of which security and administration at NWF State allows this is way too much.....and when players coaches or cheerleaders or fans protest it is pretty much not handled.......THIS YEAR was the first where security actually removed people from behind Chipolas bench for harrasment then allowed them back after students and parents protested after about 5 minutes and when one security guard tried to restrain them again he was removed by the upper level security guards........I like the rivalry and the intensity....and yes some of the smack......but that is how NWF got the name over here.

Hey Buzz it's all good my friend. I have to be honest, I have lived here over 20 years and have never, EVER been to a OWCC/NWFS basketball game!! I was really asking an honest question. I have been at dozens of softball games, as I was an NCAA/NJCAA softball official for many years. I have also seen a few baseball games, but basketball, never. To be honest I have never liked their style of basketball, with one exception, when the "twins" were there (I think one of them even played at Troy). They were fun to read about. :eatdrink004: