PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Program Interest and Culture change

barrick
02-21-2013, 09:37 PM
I am a grad of Troy but do not live within hundreds of miles. I've come to realize the interest in the Troy basketball program is lacking. Since I am not a Alabama resident and never was, I wonder what the general interest in basketball is in the community and in the region? What is the level of interest in even playing basketball among the youth in Troy and Southern Alabama?

Lastly, I think a change of culture could really drive the basketball program. I am born and raised in Indianapolis. My family has been season ticket holders to Butler for well over a decade. When I was younger, Butler was a no-name program. After a coaching change, "The Butler Way" was born and changed the entire culture of the program. Needless to say, the program has had great success in the last decade.

When I think of Troy's BBall, I wonder why the program is so dismal. If it is general lack of interest on campus, in the community, etc., I can understand the program not developing further. But, Troy has built great facilities, and has a good sized enrollment (Butler built a program with an enrollment of less than 4K). There is no reason Troy's BBall should not be flourishing. I think there needs to be a serious culture change. Not only a coaching change, but a complete program overhaul. The Sun Belt might be the worse BBall conference in America and to not be able to compete in it is embarrassing.

Sorry to vent some of my frustration. But as someone who is watching from far away, I wonder what the locals and those closer to the program feel can be changed.

newnan trojan
02-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I agree 110%...

It's time to get our BB program in gear! I'm tired of this mess. If we had a good BB program coupled with a good football no telling were we would be... Of the 3 big sports this is by far where we are lacking.... And it starts with maestri...

Troy87
02-22-2013, 06:56 AM
barrick,

First and foremost, and this is cliche, Alabama is a ravenous Football state, much like the Southeast is football crazy too, but more so in Alabama, since there are no pro sports (not for lack of trying). Football is king, and always will force Basketball into a backseat role.

At Troy, this is no different. I think, to a degee, Basketball also plays a backseat to Baseball too. Because spring comes sooner to the southern states, Baseball gets going earlier, and more interest in the sport comes from that.

Also, in both Baseball and Football, there are more opportunities to play the game, and for several reasons. First, there are more positions to be filled on a team for Baseball and Football than for Basketball (in the organized structures). Second, accessibility......you can put a Football and Baseball game together in any field or yard. We did this when we were kids. Basketball requires a hard surface and at least one hoop. We did this in our driveways as kids, but that's not always going to be the case in some neighborhoods.

In the South, kids will gravitate to Baseball and Football when they are young just because it's typically in their nature to be outside al the time, even during the winter months, because the winters just aren't as confining as they are up north. In the northern states, where snow can be on the ground for long periods of time, kids look for indoor activities, and Basketball fits the bill, and kids gravitate toward that more.

As for Troy's Basketball program; the Men's program has been inconsistent over it's history, and because we've never been very good on a consistent basis, it hs not been emphasized. The same for the Women's program. That being said, I think the first move to change that, was the construction of the new Trojan Arena, which is a magnificent facility. It was built with the objetive of making our school's athletic program more attractive to higher profile conferences. That may have passed now, as it appears the Sun Belt may be a better conference than a couple other out there, and we have the best facility in the conference (for now).

The second indication of intent to change the basketball persective at Troy, is the hiring of Chanda Rigby as the Women's Head Coach. Her record in the Panhandle Conference at the JUCO ranks speaks volumes, and I think bodes well for the future of Troy Women's Basketball. As for the Men's Basketball future, we shall see. My opinion is that Coach Maestri could retire at the end of this season, but, he spoke to the Trojan Warriors earlier this month, and his excitement about some commitments for this next class was bubbling over, so who knows?

Lot's of stuff said here, and I don't know if that answers your question exactly, but hopefully it sheds some light on the subject.

barrick
02-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the input. I have lived primarily in Indiana and NYC, where basketball is king. In Indiana, though cliche, you'll find basketball hoops nailed to silos, barns, garages, and anything else that stands at least 10 feet tall (yes, we measure it just like in The movie Hoosiers).

But, even with less interest in basketball within the State of Alabama, why can Troy not recruit from outside the State then? Florida, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tennessee, and Texas have GREAT players that wind up at non-BCS conference schools all the time.

I take a look around the rest of region and see successful programs: USA, UAB, and Bama have all had very good teams in recent years. Hell, Florida Gulf Coast is getting better players than Troy. What is going on and not going on at Troy that this is happening? And how can a program that loses this much retain a coach for this long? Is the AD that much of a wuss or is the coaching not perceived as a problem on campus?

I have watched Troy for years but never followed all that closely. Mainly because of the TV broadcasts availibility. So, my apologies for not being all that familiar with the program.

JonesOxygen
02-22-2013, 09:11 AM
I agree with what 87 said, IF __________ (pick a University in AL) was 25-2 right now, there would be interest. Anything less than that is mediocre at best. All the athletes are playing football and baseball YEAR round. On a given home basketball gameday in Troy, I would bet 85% of Pike County has NO idea Troy has a game. Is it lack of marketing? Is it lack of overall interest? Is it both? I think it's both, I think the University should drive a billboard truck around town every gameday promoting a game. They may only get the attention of 20 people, but 20 people X $15=$300, plus concessions. I think it would pay for the truck.
At the end of the day, all you will get is the casual hoops fan in the south. If your team loses, there will probably be no loss of sleep like there is in football.

dgoebel
02-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Winning=Fan Support

Our men's basketball team has been dismal. Personally I see no change at all in it until Maestri retires. He is the HOF and has the court named for him, both unwise moves to do to an active coach. How do you fire or let go a coach who you named the court after? So, he has no fear of losing his job. He has proven that he can't recruit and puts zero effort into recruiting and signing high school players. Our entire team is either juco transfers or other transfers less 2-3 HS walk ons who don't play, So as long as he stays, the men's team will continue to underperform and we will draw 1,000-2,000 fans to a state of the art arena that seats 5,400.

TrojanFanatic
02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
I just don't care about basketball...the same as most students that I hang around with. I played it as a kid, it's just dull to watch to me, I don't know why though. I wish our basketball team would get better and maybe they would have a bigger game. You know who to get students there? Give away free shirts and stuff.

dgoebel
02-22-2013, 11:06 AM
11-17 with 3 games left and two of those are sure losses. Another loosing season again. How many guards will he sign this off season???

Cane gone Trojan
02-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Troy needs to put signs all over the states of Indianna and Kentucky that say Attention All High School Basketball Players......TROY WANTS YOU!!!!!!!!!
They might want to put at the bottom of the sign....Troy University...Home of the prettiest girls in the South!

dgoebel
02-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Troy needs to put signs all over the states of Indianna and Kentucky that say Attention All High School Basketball Players......TROY WANTS YOU!!!!!!!!!
They might want to put at the bottom of the sign....Troy University...Home of the prettiest girls in the South!

There is zero excuses for Troy not signing a HS player. You can't tell me that Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee or Kentucky doesn't have one HS player who we could sign. And the Sartain issue is gone but even as bad as it was it is much nicer than most juco gyms. Goes back to recruiting and we have a complacent coach who doesn't want to put the effort into it, so he trolls the juco's.

I have family in Tennessee and I can tell you that HS baskeball is bigger than football in TN. It is huge. Why we aren't looking there is beyond me???

barrick
02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Winning programs always have real basketball players. Not guys that play on a basketball team, but basketball players. I think of Creighton and McDermott. Obviously, McDermott is a great player and a lottery pick. But, he was only a 3 Star talent coming into college. The story goes that the day he stepped on campus, he was in the gym when not in class or studying. The rest of the team slowly followed him to the gym and now Creighton has one of the best Mid-Major programs in America. Troy needs a recruit that is a real basketball player, someone that will spend the hours in the gym working on his game, and a leader in the gym.

Those players don't come from JUCO's. JUCO transfers are role players. They're not there all 4 years and are hardly ever leaders. They're just role players. It's obvious that Troy is playing with a bunch of lower level talent role players without a star or even a true leader on the team. That's a coaching problem.

Couple poor recruiting with on-court coaching, and Troy is 6 games below .500. This team runs one of the worse offenses I've ever seen, they're slow defensively, and they don't switch and don't know how to help off ball. We get burnt by high ball screens every game because this team doesn't know how to even hedge correctly.

This is the "culture change" I am talking about. Troy needs leaders at coaching: that can recruit at HS and more importantly has AAU ties because that's where the most recruiting occurs. And some real ball players that live and breathe basketball.

dgoebel
02-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Winning programs always have real basketball players. Not guys that play on a basketball team, but basketball players. I think of Creighton and McDermott. Obviously, McDermott is a great player and a lottery pick. But, he was only a 3 Star talent coming into college. The story goes that the day he stepped on campus, he was in the gym when not in class or studying. The rest of the team slowly followed him to the gym and now Creighton has one of the best Mid-Major programs in America. Troy needs a recruit that is a real basketball player, someone that will spend the hours in the gym working on his game, and a leader in the gym.

Those players don't come from JUCO's. JUCO transfers are role players. They're not there all 4 years and are hardly ever leaders. They're just role players. It's obvious that Troy is playing with a bunch of lower level talent role players without a star or even a true leader on the team. That's a coaching problem.

Couple poor recruiting with on-court coaching, and Troy is 6 games below .500. This team runs one of the worse offenses I've ever seen, they're slow defensively, and they don't switch and don't know how to help off ball. We get burnt by high ball screens every game because this team doesn't know how to even hedge correctly.

This is the "culture change" I am talking about. Troy needs leaders at coaching: that can recruit at HS and more importantly has AAU ties because that's where the most recruiting occurs. And some real ball players that live and breathe basketball.

Excellent points and I could not agree more. IMO another problem is the perpetual rebuilding every year and inability to build any kind of chemistry.

newnan trojan
02-23-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm expecting to see some changes in the basketball off season. It's time to act like a D1 program.

dgoebel
02-23-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm expecting to see some changes in the basketball off season. It's time to act like a D1 program.

Here is the problem...you put an active coach in the HOF and named the court after him. So now what do you do when he doesn't get the job done???

Why you put an active coach in the HOF and name a court after them?? There are no pro HOF's where active players or coaches can be elected to.

redwaver
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Here is the problem...you put an active coach in the HOF and named the court after him. So now what do you do when he doesn't get the job done???

Why you put an active coach in the HOF and name a court after them?? There are no pro HOF's where active players or coaches can be elected to.
I agree! That is something to be left until after retirement. Otherwise, never made sense to me!

JPSousa1898
02-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Thank God for the Back Court Posse Pep Band!
They keep things interesting for sure! :-D

newnan trojan
02-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Thank God for the Back Court Posse Pep Band!
They keep things interesting for sure! :-D

As much as I love the SOTS and think what a wonderful job they do. They don't get butts in the seats for basketball for the most part and they don't get W's. something this program needs.

Jericho Johnny
02-24-2013, 09:07 AM
During my four years at TROY I never once attended a basketball game. The only students I knew who did were the very small portion of the school who were true basketball fans, and then other folks who were either out for the social opportunity or were TROY fanatics like many of you on the board.

There is definitely a lack of interest about basketball in Alabama and the football-loving South as a whole. I think there may be an exception insofar as many black people I knew followed pro-basketball, but again, not college ball, and certainly not little ol' TROY.

The sad thing is, living in Tallahassee now, I had an opportunity to attend my first basketball game between #3 Miami and FSU. It was a great game, close, and we had good seats near the court. I actually enjoyed myself. Makes me want to take in a TROY game in the new arena, which has rightly been described here as "magnificent." A winning team would certainly entice us fence-sitters further!

Also, why has TROY gotten into this habit of naming athletics after current coaches? It's a terrible practice. Hypothetically, if at the office they named my work area the "Jericho Johnny Desk and Cubicle" would I ever really treat the job the same? Probably not. When you get your name on something through merit (and not a big Levin College of Law donation) it is usually a sign that you have made it, you are at the top, and oh yeah, normally you realize this honor AFTER you have given up the game!!!

LB field was a mistake and so is this basketball coach's honor.

redwaver
02-24-2013, 09:36 AM
During my four years at TROY I never once attended a basketball game. The only students I knew who did were the very small portion of the school who were true basketball fans, and then other folks who were either out for the social opportunity or were TROY fanatics like many of you on the board.

There is definitely a lack of interest about basketball in Alabama and the football-loving South as a whole. I think there may be an exception insofar as many black people I knew followed pro-basketball, but again, not college ball, and certainly not little ol' TROY.

The sad thing is, living in Tallahassee now, I had an opportunity to attend my first basketball game between #3 Miami and FSU. It was a great game, close, and we had good seats near the court. I actually enjoyed myself. Makes me want to take in a TROY game in the new arena, which has rightly been described here as "magnificent." A winning team would certainly entice us fence-sitters further!

Also, why has TROY gotten into this habit of naming athletics after current coaches? It's a terrible practice. Hypothetically, if at the office they named my work area the "Jericho Johnny Desk and Cubicle" would I ever really treat the job the same? Probably not. When you get your name on something through merit (and not a big Levin College of Law donation) it is usually a sign that you have made it, you are at the top, and oh yeah, normally you realize this honor AFTER you have given up the game!!!

LB field was a mistake and so is this basketball coach's honor.
I Agree about the naming fiasco. I absolutely supported naming our football field after LB, just not when they did it. About students going to games, SADLY today's youth has so many "recreational" things available to them that getting caught up in the excitement of athletics is secondary if that high. Being an old foggie, I'm glad I grew up when I did and when things were not so complicated. Kids today don't have to have to have an imagination or a sense of responsibility because they look to technology to do it for them. Just watch kids at games, 90% are attached to a phone and walking paying no attention to the games. To often, the great athlete is no longer the pride if the high school but rather other kids who bring a different agenda to "fun". Luckily, we still have some kids who still get excited over athletics but not like they use to. We have also become a society of supporting " winners" rather than supporting " family". There is a difference. That's why so many Troy fans support the UA, AU, FSU, UF, etc's of the world. Sooooo, what a school like Troy must do to reign in our fans is to WIN. Just showing up or giving a good effort won't cut it. It will be accepted for a time by the die hard fan but not the fense sitters and we have a lot of those with Troy degrees, sadly!

JPSousa1898
02-25-2013, 05:38 PM
As much as I love the SOTS and think what a wonderful job they do. They don't get butts in the seats for basketball for the most part and they don't get W's. something this program needs.

I agree about butts in the seats and W's, but they do stay in the game and keep some energy in it. Otherwise, I would get about the same excitement from watching Chess matches on ESPN.