PDA

View Full Version : Win #500????

JonesOxygen
02-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Sat. night Coach Maestri will be going for win #500, come out and watch this milestone victory. There will never be another Trojan basketball coach to win 500 games. It's the last time we will play North Texas, its on CSS, tip off is 7:30. Your half time entertainment will be the 5th & 6th grade Upward basketball kids from FBC Troy. Why not show up?!?!?!

WeSuck.com
02-16-2013, 10:04 AM
500 wins. That's about 16 wins a season. Including those 8 seasons where we weren't even eligible to play for anything (oh, have you forgot or even know about the NCAA-mandated transition period we were forced to go through?). 8 conference titles. Only the 6th coach to win 500 at 1 school-I forgot, loyalty is so over-rated.

Am I happy with the last two seasons? Absolutely not, but jeez you would have thought Rowell was running the program.

Troy is a very difficult school to recruit to. And is a completely different animal than FB. The new Arena will help draw from a limited DI basketball talent pool, but its been open one season.

tenaciousT
02-16-2013, 12:39 PM
I will be there. I really hope to see Maestri get #500. What a night it will be!

JonesOxygen
02-18-2013, 09:03 AM
500 wins. That's about 16 wins a season. Including those 8 seasons where we weren't even eligible to play for anything (oh, have you forgot or even know about the NCAA-mandated transition period we were forced to go through?). 8 conference titles. Only the 6th coach to win 500 at 1 school-I forgot, loyalty is so over-rated.

Am I happy with the last two seasons? Absolutely not, but jeez you would have thought Rowell was running the program.

Troy is a very difficult school to recruit to. And is a completely different animal than FB. The new Arena will help draw from a limited DI basketball talent pool, but its been open one season.

I had no idea about the "eight years" until Friday. Very interesting stuff!

WeSuck.com
02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
I had no idea about the "eight years" until Friday. Very interesting stuff!

Dumbest rule the NCAA ever created. The thought was to discourage programs like Troy from leaving Division II to I. I am pretty sure TMTDM was the last of that experiment in absurdness. Now, if a team wants to move up, they field a scholarshiped football team.

There are already over twice as many DI basketball teams than IA football teams which just isn't fair. Still a school without a football team, just isn't a real college.

WeSuck.com
02-18-2013, 06:44 PM
AND if I am not mistaken, TMTDM might have actually won the regular season title in that Mid-Continent Conference more than once One of those deals for wayward souls like us at the time. I think it was Youngstown, Chicago State, Southern Utah, Valparaso, Missouri-Kansas City, UT-Pan American and TMTDM. We weren't allowed to play in the conference tourny for 8 years. We might have been invited to the NIT one of those years?

We are lucky we didn't finish 1-26 every year, which makes the calls for Maestri's head even more absurd.

Trojans1andAll
02-19-2013, 03:10 AM
Hate to be a wet blanket here, but even with the new arena, Maestri won't pick up ONE HS recruit, not one. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm going to say "carve it in stone."

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
02-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Dumbest rule the NCAA ever created. The thought was to discourage programs like Troy from leaving Division II to I. I am pretty sure TMTDM was the last of that experiment in absurdness. Now, if a team wants to move up, they field a scholarshiped football team.

There are already over twice as many DI basketball teams than IA football teams which just isn't fair. Still a school without a football team, just isn't a real college.

Johns Hopkins doesn't have a football team, but I bet a degree from there will look much more impressive to employers than one from Troy.

WeSuck.com
02-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Johns Hopkins doesn't have a football team, but I bet a degree from there will look much more impressive to employers than one from Troy.

Yes they do and yes it does...

http://www.hopkinssports.com/m/sports/m-footbl/jhop-m-footbl-body.html

Hemi Man
02-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Hate to be a wet blanket here, but even with the new arena, Maestri won't pick up ONE HS recruit, not one. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm going to say "carve it in stone."

You mean like this one?

http://troytrojans.com/mobile/index.aspx?rp_id=3674

Hemi Man
02-19-2013, 08:41 AM

Nice failure.

dgoebel
02-19-2013, 09:11 AM
You mean like this one?

I might be wrong, but I don't think he is a scholarship recruit. I didn't remember anything on him signing, but I could be wrong.

Hemi Man
02-19-2013, 09:25 AM
I might be wrong, but I don't think he is a scholarship recruit. I didn't remember anything on him signing, but I could be wrong.

The original quote didn't say anything about scholarship players. The quote was "pick up one high school player".

By the way I thought you loved walk ons with character?

dgoebel
02-19-2013, 10:02 AM
The original quote didn't say anything about scholarship players. The quote was "pick up one high school player".

By the way I thought you loved walk ons with character?

I am pretty sure the poster was refering to signing a HS player and there is a huge difference in that and a player walking on. Not to say that a walk on won't make it, we have had several in football, but the odds are against it. And Yes, I love a player with Character, whether walk-on or scholarship :thumb:

With out sending a PM can you answer a question. I am confused about some dates this spring. March 23 is the official Spring Trojan Day and alumni weekend. There is only a softball game that weekend and they told me there is a football scrimage to?? T-Day I thought was April 20 and that was to coincide with a baseball and softball game. Seems like they should have the Spring Day that Day. My daughter wants to come to the campus tour to talk to the biology dept before declaring her major. Is there a football scrimage March 23??

TFan
02-19-2013, 10:47 AM
You mean like this one?

I've spoken with "Trey" on campus after a game, nicest young man you could meet! Note his soccer background in high school as well.

WeSuck.com
02-19-2013, 03:05 PM
You mean like this one?

Ouch!

Again, BB and FB recruiting are like comparing Apples to Sea Lions. There are 350+ DI schools that play basketball. When you think about why risk a full scholarship on a kid that might be marginal and might be a total dolt in school.

JUCO kids have proven their ability to play AND have had to finish 2 years of school in order to sign with TMTDM. For the most part they have figured it out. That's why we never lose scholarships because of dunderhead HS kids failing out after two quarters.

dgoebel
02-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Ouch!

Again, BB and FB recruiting are like comparing Apples to Sea Lions. There are 350+ DI schools that play basketball. When you think about why risk a full scholarship on a kid that might be marginal and might be a total dolt in school.

JUCO kids have proven their ability to play AND have had to finish 2 years of school in order to sign with TMTDM. For the most part they have figured it out. That's why we never lose scholarships because of dunderhead HS kids failing out after two quarters.

I understand your point but saying that recruiting a HS player will turn into a dud or drop out of school is stretching. There are hundreds of schools who recruit HS players succesfully. The advantage is that you have them in your system for 4-5 years and you might get 3-4 years of playing time out of them. Juco basketball is not D1 basketball so that in itself is not assurance that they will be succesful at the D1 level and as far as academics goes, alot (not all) had to go juco because of grades. A mid major D1 school like Troy has to have a mix of HS and juco to be succesful in football, basketball, baseball and softball. What doesn't work is going almost 100% juco as we have in men's basketball. Team chemistry is hard to get in one season and it puts you into perpetual rebuilding as you literally lose half your team to graduation every year. Troy is going to have to start getting some HS basketball players and sign some (not all) quality juco players when available. Formula has worked great in baseball at Troy.

Hemi Man
02-19-2013, 06:52 PM
I am pretty sure the poster was refering to signing a HS player and there is a huge difference in that and a player walking on. Not to say that a walk on won't make it, we have had several in football, but the odds are against it. And Yes, I love a player with Character, whether walk-on or scholarship :thumb:

With out sending a PM can you answer a question. I am confused about some dates this spring. March 23 is the official Spring Trojan Day and alumni weekend. There is only a softball game that weekend and they told me there is a football scrimage to?? T-Day I thought was April 20 and that was to coincide with a baseball and softball game. Seems like they should have the Spring Day that Day. My daughter wants to come to the campus tour to talk to the biology dept before declaring her major. Is there a football scrimage March 23??

T Day is April 20th. I'm not sure of anyother dates besides that one for scrimmages.

Trojans1andAll
02-20-2013, 12:23 AM
For the record, yeah, I was implying that Maestri would not recruit a single HS player. But I'm glad to see him give any kind of consideration to this guy.