PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Osi and DWare Were ZERO-Star Recruits

WeSuck.com
02-09-2013, 03:49 PM
I always laugh at the media-manufactured Recruiting Rankings. This is the same media that wet themselves trying to convince everyone that Notre Dame was good.

As Jim Rome said Thursday...grown men spend way too much time watching 17 and 18 year old kids picking hats. Whatever happened to just signing the NLI in the library, faxing it in and going back to class?

TroyFootball05
02-09-2013, 07:54 PM
I always laugh at the media-manufactured Recruiting Rankings. This is the same media that wet themselves trying to convince everyone that Notre Dame was good.

As Jim Rome said Thursday...grown men spend way too much time watching 17 and 18 year old kids picking hats. Whatever happened to just signing the NLI in the library, faxing it in and going back to class?

This argument is played out. Those guys are the exception, not the rule. I would take a class of all 5-Stars over a class of all 0-Stars anyday, everyday. And you would too.

Where there is minimal difference is between two and three stars, but typically 4 and 5 stars will play better than 2 and 3 stars. It doesn't always work out that way, but it does more often than not. Sometimes highly talented teams get terrible coaches and sometime teams with low talent levels have a fantastic coach, but those situations are rare.

Trojan2003
02-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Did they even use the "star system" back then??

Navarre Trojan
02-10-2013, 10:54 AM
This argument is played out. Those guys are the exception, not the rule. I would take a class of all 5-Stars over a class of all 0-Stars anyday, everyday. And you would too.

Where there is minimal difference is between two and three stars, but typically 4 and 5 stars will play better than 2 and 3 stars. It doesn't always work out that way, but it does more often than not. Sometimes highly talented teams get terrible coaches and sometime teams with low talent levels have a fantastic coach, but those situations are rare.

What I have never understood, about the 'star' system is that when a 4 star signs (or gets interest) from a school NOT associated with one of the BIG conference schools, their "STAR COUNT" drops, sometimes up to two stars. For instance, a 4-star signs with Troy, many, many times that recruits "star card" shows only 3 or 2 stars. How does that work? A kid suddenly loses their talent? Or is it that the "star system" is so fabricated that if a kid (4-star) signs with a lower tiered school, he/she must not have been that good. How does a kid LOSE star power after the season is over and before signing day?

Who "applies" the stars in the first place? I think that football coaches (sport really doesn't matter) know a heck of a lot more than some sports writers (amature talent scouts) opinion. Not sure very many schools PAY FOR recruiting services, service. Probably because those folks are not coaches.

TroyFootball05
02-10-2013, 01:10 PM
What I have never understood, about the 'star' system is that when a 4 star signs (or gets interest) from a school NOT associated with one of the BIG conference schools, their "STAR COUNT" drops, sometimes up to two stars. For instance, a 4-star signs with Troy, many, many times that recruits "star card" shows only 3 or 2 stars. How does that work? A kid suddenly loses their talent? Or is it that the "star system" is so fabricated that if a kid (4-star) signs with a lower tiered school, he/she must not have been that good. How does a kid LOSE star power after the season is over and before signing day?

Who "applies" the stars in the first place? I think that football coaches (sport really doesn't matter) know a heck of a lot more than some sports writers (amature talent scouts) opinion. Not sure very many schools PAY FOR recruiting services, service. Probably because those folks are not coaches.

Don't misunderstand me, I agree with you. There is some error and obvious bcs favoritism when it comes to ranking recruits late in the game. My point which I still feel to be accurate is that a class full of 4 and 5 stars will 4 out of 5 times perform better than a class full of 2 and 3 stars if there were no differences in how good their coaches are.

dgoebel
02-10-2013, 02:00 PM
A four or 5 star prospect is going to be better than a 2 or 3. I actually like a 2 star over a 3 star. Troy has a couple of 3 star that have not panned out. Camps are a vital recruiting tool but watching a kid in shirts and shorts with no pads on is not the same. A combination of camps, film, talking to coaches and visiting practices (Spring) are the most complete way to evaluate.

You can still have a 5 star player with a 1 star head. I think we got some 2 star players with 5 star heads and that you can win with.