PDA

View Full Version : Trojans Rally, Take Down Arkansas State in Overtime

Hemi Man
01-25-2013, 08:45 AM
ROY, Ala. Despite trailing by seven points in the final six minutes, the Troy men's basketball team (8-12, 3-6) knocked off the Arkansas State Red Wolves (11-8, 5-5), 74-67, in overtime at Trojan Arena.* Emil Jones's last second 3-pointer sent the game to overtime, where the Trojans took over, not allowing a field goal.

http://troytrojans.com/news/2013/1/24/MBB_0124135055.aspx

Good time in Trojan Arena last night!!

FoulPolePhenom
01-25-2013, 09:29 AM
That was a fun game to be at. The team never quit and kept fighting.

trojanchad
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Awesome game. Best atmosphere since Miss State. Good to see the students show up and bring out the keys at the end of OT.

newnan trojan
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Good win.

I really do like Basketball but I just wish our team got more Ws

dgoebel
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Good win.

I really do like Basketball but I just wish our team got more Ws

I would never have guessed our men's team would have double the wins of our women's team. Can our men's team win a game without going into OT? I was super excited about Rigsby and I will give her time, but I have really been disapointed in the women's team this year and it looks like they might end up with only 3 wins. If they loose to ULM next then they have a very good shot at 3 wins. Hope the next few seasons are better than this one.

Hemi Man
01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
I would never have guessed our men's team would have double the wins of our women's team. Can our men's team win a game without going into OT? I was super excited about Rigsby and I will give her time, but I have really been disapointed in the women's team this year and it looks like they might end up with only 3 wins. If they loose to ULM next then they have a very good shot at 3 wins. Hope the next few seasons are better than this one.

Living proof that changing coaches is not a cure all. I do believe coach Rigby is a better coach than Murphy, but you have to have the players to compete on the D1 level. She will do good things soon.

dgoebel
01-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Living proof that changing coaches is not a cure all. I do believe coach Rigby is a better coach than Murphy, but you have to have the players to compete on the D1 level. She will do good things soon.

I am not a basketball expert but it seems she does not have the personel to effectively run her offense. It seems every game they either start out cold shooting or have a spell where the other team puts a 10-15 point run on them. We might have to give her 3-4 years to right the ship. Time will tell.

redwaver
01-25-2013, 08:44 PM
You are correct, they do need good players to compete at D1 level........and that too is the coaches responsibility......in all sports!! Remember, folks blamed Sartain for problems recruiting better BB athletes. That excuse has been remedied so, other the size of our Town, our BB excuses have been extinguished. However, the gals deserve a few years to get their recruits. We should start seeing improvements. If not, then questions should appear and rightfully so.jMHO

Hemi Man
01-26-2013, 12:47 AM
You are correct, they do need good players to compete at D1 level........and that too is the coaches responsibility......in all sports!! Remember, folks blamed Sartain for problems recruiting better BB athletes. That excuse has been remedied so, other the size of our Town, our BB excuses have been extinguished. However, the gals deserve a few years to get their recruits. We should start seeing improvements. If not, then questions should appear and rightfully so.jMHO

Coach Rigby and staff will be just fine. Ashley Beverly Kelley is going to be fun to watch for 3 more years. We also lost two players to injury right before the season started. Both would have been major contributors.

dgoebel
01-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Coach Rigby and staff will be just fine. Ashley Beverly Kelley is going to be fun to watch for 3 more years. We also lost two players to injury right before the season started. Both would have been major contributors.

If only Maestri could learn to recruit a HS player. That is something you don't hear with our men's team " Fun to watch for the next three years"

Navarre Trojan
01-26-2013, 11:26 AM

We ALL have to be EXTREMELY PATIENT with Coach Rigby and her tenure at Troy. Coming from the JUCO ranks, it is MUCH DIFFERENT in the D-1 arena. Coaches from BIG TIME Basketball programs ARE NOT going to be coming to her to help their recruits prepare for a 4 year school. In JUCO, recruiting, at great programs like those in the Panhandle Conference, is much more about relationships with big schools to help "their" recruits prepare for the BIG STAGE, academically. the TALENT is already there, athletically.

Now that she has moved into that arena, my hope is that she can continue to build on those relationships in the Panhandle so that if there is an opportunity for a player to come to Troy, after 1 or 2 years, that she provides a viable option. Going after high school kids, that meet the requirements, is, again, MUCH DIFFERENT than getting a kid qualified at a 2 year community college, such as Pensacola State College (formerly known as Pensacola Junior College).

I hope she has the knack for going out and selling Troy and the program and her style, etc., etc. and we become a successful program. BUT THIS WILL TAKE MUCH TIME.

We have to forget her record/success at PJC and help her gain that same level at Troy, THAT's OUR JOB...

I'm in and willing to help, are you? IF so, become a Trojan Warrior today and ear mark the money for Women's Basketball...

TFan
01-26-2013, 06:29 PM
I'm in. From all I've seen and heard Chanda Rigby's the real deal.

GO TROJANS!

dgoebel
01-27-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm in. From all I've seen and heard Chanda Rigby's the real deal.

GO TROJANS!

We will see. I was super excited about her but she has not set the world on fire. It looks like we finish with 3 wins since we could not beat a 3 win ULM team who now has 4 wins (2 of those against Troy) I guess 3 wins is better than 2 last year :confused013: Troy absolutelty doesn't have the players to run her offense. So 1) She has to recruit these players (which will take 2-4 years) 2) Adapt to what we have. What is certian is what we are trying right now is not working.

TFan
01-27-2013, 01:36 PM
.. So 1) She has to recruit these players (which will take 2-4 years) 2).

Yes. That's what you've been saying for months about the men's BB program as well.

dgoebel
01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Yes. That's what you've been saying for months about the men's BB program as well.

The men's team has to recruit some HS players. This trying to win with 10 juco players every year doesn't work. They are only in your system 2 years and you are in a constant rebuild every year. I realize that Rigsby has to recruit and it will take time, I just thought we would have more than 3 wins after a 2 win season, that was all I was saying. I will give her 4 years to see what happens.

Hemi Man
01-27-2013, 02:34 PM
We will see. I was super excited about her but she has not set the world on fire. It looks like we finish with 3 wins since we could not beat a 3 win ULM team who now has 4 wins (2 of those against Troy) I guess 3 wins is better than 2 last year :confused013: Troy absolutelty doesn't have the players to run her offense. So 1) She has to recruit these players (which will take 2-4 years) 2) Adapt to what we have. What is certian is what we are trying right now is not working.

With point #2 are you saying we should abandon her scheme in the middle of the first season? I'm pretty sure she has a handle on what she's doing. She probably even knows more about basketball than most anyone on GTT.

She will be fine and the results will come.

dgoebel
01-27-2013, 03:02 PM
With point #2 are you saying we should abandon her scheme in the middle of the first season? I'm pretty sure she has a handle on what she's doing. She probably even knows more about basketball than most anyone on GTT.

She will be fine and the results will come.

She knows more BB than me, that is a given...but I also think you have to adapt to your personel to a degree. If the run and gun isn't working with your players, perhaps they need to tweek it somehow to find a way to run it with what we have. She can recruit better players for the future but right now we don't have the players for this scheme. What is killing the women's team is the cold streaks where they get 10-0 to 15-0 runs on them. The problem with this offense is when you aren't hitting the shots you are setting the other team up to score. Kinda of like 2011 when we had a ton of 3 and outs on O in football. Gives the ball right back to the opponent with no points to show for it.

She is a good coach, her track record proves that, all I said was I expected moe than 3 wins, as I am sure she did also. 4 years from now will tell how well she has recruited, coached etc. Chalk this year up and let's look forward to success to come.

Buzz Lightyear
01-28-2013, 10:03 AM
She will have more players next year.......as to recruiting.....even showing them the style she plays on recruiting trips shows them the chance to play in that style.....it will come....you may well expect a few more from the panhandle juco ranks to come....and more and more of her style will come thru....however....yes a rough year.

Inside&out1234
01-28-2013, 10:22 AM
If only Maestri could learn to recruit a HS player. That is something you don't hear with our men's team " Fun to watch for the next three years"

Ashley Beverly Kelly was recruited by Murphy.