PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the shuffle?

tntrojan
01-13-2013, 12:57 PM
This was in today's Atlanta paper. Maybe our staff will talk to some of these guys that are being forgotten by new head coaches around the country? Also a FIU QB commit is looking for a new place...

Pebblebrook High School defensive back Demetrius Monday de-committed from Cincinnati on Thursday after never hearing from new coach Tommy Tuberville.

“I think it’s messed up,” his father, Bryant Monday, told the AJC. “You wait until a few weeks before signing day to say something? They could have told us a month ago.

“Now we’re left with less than a month until signing day to figure something out. He had other scholarship offers but he hasn’t talked to those coaches in six months … since he committed to Cincinnati on July 25.

“It’s really disappointing.”

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Monday said he committed to Cincinnati over Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Ball State, Ohio and Georgia State, among others, last summer. Tuberville was hired by Cincinnati on Dec. 8. After not hearing from the new staff, the elder Monday finally called up the football offices this week.

“They told us to ‘look other places,’” Monday said. “I’m in Los Angeles on vacation, and I just got the bad news.

“The thing is, we’ve talked to some other kids committed to Cincinnati. They say the same thing, that they haven’t heard from the staff. Basically (Tuberville) isn’t calling anybody, he’s trying to get the kids to de-commit on their own.

“It’s a bad situation.”

RELATED: Jaleel Canty, a defensive back from Lansing, Mich., and friend of the Monday family, contacted the AJC on Thursday night to say that he also had de-committed from Cincinnati that day under similar circumstances. Canty committed to Cincinnati last July, hadn’t heard from the new staff, and finally called the football office on Thursday. He got the same bad news from an assistant. “They said they were bringing in their own guys, so all the guys that are committed are out luck.” Canty requested a conversation with Tuberville. “They said he was busy, trying to get his staff together.” What was Canty’s reaction to being cut loose? “It’s messed up. I’ve been committed to Cincinnati since July, and I kind of cut off communication with other schools. I don’t understand why (Tuberville) couldn’t tell us a month ago. We’re less than a month away from signing day now. And I don’t understand why we had to call them. Why couldn’t they call us and tell us a month ago? It’s really disappointing.”

THIS AND THAT

Among the state’s top uncommitted prospects is Brett Sheehan, the QB from Collins Hill High School who backed his pledge to Florida International after the coaching change. Sheehan told the AJC that he’s hearing from Georgia State, Illinois State, Furman, Florida Atlantic, Florida International and Bowling Green. “I have an official visit set up for Georgia State on Jan, 18, and then I plan on taking one or two more, if possible,” Sheehan said. “I’ll most likely not commit anywhere until right before signing day. Or, depending on the situation, I might wait until after signing day. As of now, I would say Georgia State is my leader but I am keeping my options open.” … Chase Rosenberg, QB from Centennial High School, is in the mix with some top academic schools, including Brown, Dartmouth, Penn, Davidson and Georgetown. Rosenberg, who passed for nearly 2,300 yards and 18 touchdowns in his first year as a starter, is also starting to hear from some FBS schools, according to his father. You can watch his film HERE … Another overlooked prospect to watch is Zach Adams, a 6-5, 280-pound offensive tackle from Roswell High School. He gave up three sacks in two seasons – all to Carl Lawson (one in 2011 and two last season). “I can tell you that Zach is a great whose best days of football are ahead of him,” said former Roswell coach Justin Sanderson. Adams has a 3.4 GPA and strong interest from Georgia Tech, Duke, Ohio, Elon, William & Mary and Georgia Southern. You can watch his film HERE … Grayson High School is sending another senior to a BCS school: Kicker Alex Louthan has decided to join West Virginia as a preferred walk-on … Is South Carolina in danger of losing a commit from Georgia? West Forsyth High School LB Mo Camara, who has been committed to the Gamecocks (his first offer) since last spring, was recently offered by Wake Forest. Camara told the AJC on Thursday night that he will likely take an official visit with the Demon Deacons on Jan. 25, which is one week after his trip with the Gamecocks.

Navarre Trojan
01-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Since these guys are not from S. Florida, Troy probably should't even recruit them. Ga is the second most recruited state for Troy, and some seem to think that going next door, vs. going to S. Florida is our curse, our problem for the past few years. Although these guys look like pretty good players to me, remember, the all live north of I-10.

dgoebel
01-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Troy need to look South of Ocala (where I live). To much talent and speed to ignore. Yes we have to recruit AL, GA, N. FL, MS etc, but to ignore a heavy, talent rich area of Florida is foolish. Have to at least try to recruit here. If we don't then they go on to schools we play ( WKU, MTSU, etc).

However, if there is a great player close to Troy then it makes perfect sense to recruit them. We just have to braoden our horizons.

TrojanFanatic
01-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Make JR recruiting coordinator and he can do it, I think

Hemi Man
01-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Make JR recruiting coordinator and he can do it, I think

If Jeremy doesn't take the position it will have to be filled in some capacity. If not then people will see all that he did behind the scenes and it won't be pretty if those things go undone, or they are handled by someone less capable.

Chasin170
01-14-2013, 05:34 PM
There is always two sides to every story and recruiting is no different.I'm not attempting to infer anything in regards to ANY Cincy commits but I see kids TOO many times play the field LONG after a commitment has been made.

Some coaches tolerance of "shoppers" differ and it's always news when a school pulls the plug on a recruit.Twitter has certainly sensationalized the event and provides a platform for kids to get the first story out.The ocean is full of twitter wannabees jounalist who at the expense of the kid will lure followship with half sided innuendo.

My take is if a kid is gonna "shop" then he may very well "de-commit" during sprints,weights or the fourth quarter.If I was coaching then a would "shop" the field when I learn the athlete has de committed to entertain his own selfish fancy.

Committed recruits playing the field aren't committed and their actions adversely affect the scholarships of less hearald athletes who are waiting for offers.Another reason I wish there was an early signing period to legitimize all this "commitments".

dgoebel
01-14-2013, 05:42 PM
There is always two sides to every story and recruiting is no different.I'm not attempting to infer anything in regards to ANY Cincy commits but I see kids TOO many times play the field LONG after a commitment has been made.

Some coaches tolerance of "shoppers" differ and it's always news when a school pulls the plug on a recruit.Twitter has certainly sensationalized the event and provides a platform for kids to get the first story out.The ocean is full of twitter wannabees jounalist who at the expense of the kid will lure followship with half sided innuendo.

My take is if a kid is gonna "shop" then he may very well "de-commit" during sprints,weights or the fourth quarter.If I was coaching then a would "shop" the field when I learn the athlete has de committed to entertain his own selfish fancy.

Committed recruits playing the field aren't committed and their actions adversely affect the scholarships of less hearald athletes who are waiting for offers.Another reason I wish there was an early signing period to legitimize all this "commitments".

I wasn't heavily recruited back in 1985 but I had several schools looking at me, among them Valdosta State, UCF and Georgia Southern and Erk Russell. When I verbally committed to Troy I told UCF and Valdosta when they called and the coaches told me, don't worry, that is non-binding, I can change my mind but let Troy think I am going there and then I could sign with them instead. Then I had a phone call from Coach Russell and it was a hard thing to tell him but I told him I gave Troy My verbal because I was impressed with Georgia Southern. I will never forget what happened next, Coach Russell said " If you gave Troy your verbal then you be a man and you honor that commitment, Don't you ever in life go back on a commitment. I would love to have you play here but you stand by your commitment and you honor what you told the Troy coaches" That speaks volumes for the character of Coach Russell and is testament to the leagacy he built there.

tntrojan
01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Erk was definitely one of a kind. Thanks for sharing that story goebel.