PDA

View Full Version : Latest Massey Ratings Rank Div. II UAH over Troy

CHughes1102
12-18-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb&yr=2013&sub=193573

So sick of Maestri...I'm sure we all are.

redwaver
12-18-2012, 11:31 PM
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb&yr=2013&sub=193573

So sick of Maestri...I'm sure we all are.
Embarrassing! Behind several JC's.

dgoebel
12-19-2012, 08:00 AM

With 10 JC's on the roster, maybe we are eligible to play in the Miss. Juco league or the Panhandle conference? Not sure we would be competitive, but still???

Buzz Lightyear
12-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Being from the panhandle conference area in Marianna with Chipola College. It is not embarrasing to be behind them. As a matter of fact there are not 200 better bball teams than them this year. Juco's have some great players and they play really well. There are some former Juco players on Troy with and all of them played pretty well. The difference is in big man play. More talented and deeper and usually just as tall or taller. The guards are closer to what they have just probably deeper on the really good Juco squads.

Why are Juco's like this.........non qualifiers......good to great players that really do not do well academically mixed in with pretty good players that do better in the class room like the guys at Troy and other places.

redwaver
12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Being from the panhandle conference area in Marianna with Chipola College. It is not embarrasing to be behind them. As a matter of fact there are not 200 better bball teams than them this year. Juco's have some great players and they play really well. There are some former Juco players on Troy with and all of them played pretty well. The difference is in big man play. More talented and deeper and usually just as tall or taller. The guards are closer to what they have just probably deeper on the really good Juco squads.

Why are Juco's like this.........non qualifiers......good to great players that really do not do well academically mixed in with pretty good players that do better in the class room like the guys at Troy and other places.
I live in the panhandle as well but what is embarrassing is JCs like Chipola can get these quality kids but Troy can't. They were obvious available because they are at a JC but you have to recruit High schools if you want freshmen like these and we obviously don't!

Buzz Lightyear
12-19-2012, 11:33 AM
I live in the panhandle as well but what is embarrassing is JCs like Chipola can get these quality kids but Troy can't. They were obvious available because they are at a JC but you have to recruit High schools if you want freshmen like these and we obviously don't!

There is a really deep and I mean deep way of schools that farm kids out to these Jucos by conection or reputation. The panhandle conference is generally considered one if not the toughest conference in all Juco ranks so if a team has a kid as a partial or non qualifier they will farm them out if you will to schools in our conference to get them to play at an incredibly competitive level where THE BIG schools can compare apples to apples. Our coaches do recruit but it is a subset of kids who are questionable academically most of the time or even a kid who goes to reputable program that can get them ahead because they do not like where they are with coaching changes and the such. Three years ago we have a starter at Oregon and 6th man there that came from here. Southern Miss, Witchita State, Middle Tennesee, West Virginia etc. all have players from Chipola over the past 3 years but they came here in a way that was not really by just our recruiting. Marcos Knight and his brother at Middle were both here and dang gone good players. But not anywhere near what was here or maybe even here now. We have a 6-11 Nigerian who was going to NCState due to academics etc. is here. Lots of good to great players in this conference who have lots of choices. Right now Troy is not a big player. In womens bball, coach Rigsby is tapping into some of this conference but most are still getting away. It is a tough sale for inner city kids to Troy.........We had 4 guys from Chicago on our team 3-4 years ago.

Buzz Lightyear
12-19-2012, 11:49 AM
And it is not as though Troy does not try here. Coach Curry and Felix are here alot....

dgoebel
12-19-2012, 12:01 PM
And it is not as though Troy does not try here. Coach Curry and Felix are here alot....

Of course they are. 1) It is a JUCO and that is all they recruit 2) It is 1 1/2 hour from Troy and involves no effort. Our BB is a JOKE. Thank you for your time at Troy, 30 years is long enough. He has gotten lazy, he can't recruit, and from the win totals he doesn't coach very well anymore. Time for new blood and someone who is hungry and wants to win.

redwaver
12-19-2012, 01:59 PM
There is a really deep and I mean deep way of schools that farm kids out to these Jucos by conection or reputation. The panhandle conference is generally considered one if not the toughest conference in all Juco ranks so if a team has a kid as a partial or non qualifier they will farm them out if you will to schools in our conference to get them to play at an incredibly competitive level where THE BIG schools can compare apples to apples. Our coaches do recruit but it is a subset of kids who are questionable academically most of the time or even a kid who goes to reputable program that can get them ahead because they do not like where they are with coaching changes and the such. Three years ago we have a starter at Oregon and 6th man there that came from here. Southern Miss, Witchita State, Middle Tennesee, West Virginia etc. all have players from Chipola over the past 3 years but they came here in a way that was not really by just our recruiting. Marcos Knight and his brother at Middle were both here and dang gone good players. But not anywhere near what was here or maybe even here now. We have a 6-11 Nigerian who was going to NCState due to academics etc. is here. Lots of good to great players in this conference who have lots of choices. Right now Troy is not a big player. In womens bball, coach Rigsby is tapping into some of this conference but most are still getting away. It is a tough sale for inner city kids to Troy.........We had 4 guys from Chicago on our team 3-4 years ago.
Your points are well taken but two thoughts in response. Chipola nor any other panhandle JC is located in a huge metropolis. Secondly, if coach Rigby can sell Troy to Panhandle conference girls why not boys? Frankly, I think coach Rigby COULD get boys to Troy. It's about salesmanship and some folks couldn't sell life boats to Titanic passengers.

Buzz Lightyear
12-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Your points are well taken but two thoughts in response. Chipola nor any other panhandle JC is located in a huge metropolis. Secondly, if coach Rigby can sell Troy to Panhandle conference girls why not boys? Frankly, I think coach Rigby COULD get boys to Troy. It's about salesmanship and some folks couldn't sell life boats to Titanic passengers.

Should be easier with the new facilities but in reality it is tougher to get the top end panhandle guys than girls. Girls BB is not quite as cut throat. but getting there....guys they have handlers, be they coaches at 4 years or AAU coaches....It is a tough sell to a small school in South when these guys are from everywhere. Yes we are a rural area but just like SEC in a way....AND NO I AM NOT SAYING WE ARE SEC.....but in the way Chipola has had good Juco programs for years and voted Program of the decade for 2000-2010 so even in purgatory as it is coaches from places like Kansas, Oklahoma, UCLA, FSU, and on and on know about and refer kids to us here at Chipola or another school in panhandle. Do I think younger and aggressive could breed better quality over a few years sure. But honestly, it will be through the JUCOs initially. O'neil Sessions is there but hurt but would probably be best on the team if she were healthy so there is precedent to land better and better as the teams get more competitive. However, Chipola in the JUCO world is a name despite being in a little town so gettting kids here believe it or not is easier.

redwaver
12-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Should be easier with the new facilities but in reality it is tougher to get the top end panhandle guys than girls. Girls BB is not quite as cut throat. but getting there....guys they have handlers, be they coaches at 4 years or AAU coaches....It is a tough sell to a small school in South when these guys are from everywhere. Yes we are a rural area but just like SEC in a way....AND NO I AM NOT SAYING WE ARE SEC.....but in the way Chipola has had good Juco programs for years and voted Program of the decade for 2000-2010 so even in purgatory as it is coaches from places like Kansas, Oklahoma, UCLA, FSU, and on and on know about and refer kids to us here at Chipola or another school in panhandle. Do I think younger and aggressive could breed better quality over a few years sure. But honestly, it will be through the JUCOs initially. O'neil Sessions is there but hurt but would probably be best on the team if she were healthy so there is precedent to land better and better as the teams get more competitive. However, Chipola in the JUCO world is a name despite being in a little town so gettting kids here believe it or not is easier.
Again I completely understand your points but Chipola being from a smaller town still gets the good athletes if from other universities or elsewhere. They come there because you win. There are other universities in small towns that seem to find ways to recruit better than we do. I wonder what our HS vs JUCO ratio is over the last few years. There are some mighty good MBB players from small towns who wouldn't see Troy as to small. Again, coach Pierce does not seem to have that problem and Troy is not a bigger town for baseball than MBB or football. If size and rural is factors then it should apply equally to everyone. My frustration with MBB is it takes FAR less quality athletes to recruit to turn that program around. Compare MBB to football in that regard. LB has to get considerably more quality athletes than coach Mastri does yet they have the same amount of time to recruit. Coach Mastri could get two or three really good kids and they could change our direction.

dgoebel
12-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Again I completely understand your points but Chipola being from a smaller town still gets the good athletes if from other universities or elsewhere. They come there because you win. There are other universities in small towns that seem to find ways to recruit better than we do. I wonder what our HS vs JUCO ratio is over the last few years. There are some mighty good MBB players from small towns who wouldn't see Troy as to small. Again, coach Pierce does not seem to have that problem and Troy is not a bigger town for baseball than MBB or football. If size and rural is factors then it should apply equally to everyone. My frustration with MBB is it takes FAR less quality athletes to recruit to turn that program around. Compare MBB to football in that regard. LB has to get considerably more quality athletes than coach Mastri does yet they have the same amount of time to recruit. Coach Mastri could get two or three really good kids and they could change our direction.

I completely agree. I see zero effort on Maestri to recruit a HS player. He actually did recruit a couple while I was at Troy that were darn good players. And they came from smaller, rural towns. The problem is he has been at Troy 30 years, he is the hall of fame, he doesn't have to worry about getting fired, he doesn't want to put any effort into recruiting other than watching a juco game. Add all those up and you have complacency and a program spiralling down the toilet. Now you look at Rigsby. She has to prove herself. She is aggresively recruiting and selling recruits on the facility and the chance to play in her exciting system. They already have more wins than last year and it will only get better for the women's program. Our men's team needs new direction and until Maestri leaves, you will see 7 to 8 win seasons if you are lucky, and a few of those will be against smaller schools..like our big 2 point win over DII Alaska-Ankorage :confused013:

redwaver
12-19-2012, 04:02 PM
I completely agree. I see zero effort on Maestri to recruit a HS player. He actually did recruit a couple while I was at Troy that were darn good players. And they came from smaller, rural towns. The problem is he has been at Troy 30 years, he is the hall of fame, he doesn't have to worry about getting fired, he doesn't want to put any effort into recruiting other than watching a juco game. Add all those up and you have complacency and a program spiralling down the toilet. Now you look at Rigsby. She has to prove herself. She is aggresively recruiting and selling recruits on the facility and the chance to play in her exciting system. They already have more wins than last year and it will only get better for the women's program. Our men's team needs new direction and until Maestri leaves, you will see 7 to 8 win seasons if you are lucky, and a few of those will be against smaller schools..like our big 2 point win over DII Alaska-Ankorage :confused013:
I lived, coached and taught in Alaska. You talk about a hard sell in recruiting. Temperatures below zero often, 22 hours of darkness in the winter, drug problems out the gazoo. Depression is rampant but I could live there the rest of my life. All that said yet they, UAA at DII are rated above us. Go figure!

dgoebel
12-19-2012, 04:23 PM
I lived, coached and taught in Alaska. You talk about a hard sell in recruiting. Temperatures below zero often, 22 hours of darkness in the winter, drug problems out the gazoo. Depression is rampant but I could live there the rest of my life. All that said yet they, UAA at DII are rated above us. Go figure!

I guess they pay their coaches big money, have great facilities, and big donors. That seems to be the reasons everyone gives for our problems :confused013:

Recruiting is selling and Maestri couldn't sell a bottle of water to a guy rescued in a dessert after 30 days :angry013:

redwaver
12-19-2012, 04:30 PM
I guess they pay their coaches big money, have great facilities, and big donors. That seems to be the reasons everyone gives for our problems :confused013:

Recruiting is selling and Maestri couldn't sell a bottle of water to a guy rescued in a dessert after 30 days :angry013:
It been a lot of years since I was there but their facilities were nothing out of this world. May be now. I know they spend a lot of time in the "lower 48" seeking athletes. Just seems to me a coach would get as tired of 7-8 wins a season as we do and he would bust his butt to change it. How do the eligibility standards differ from say Troy and a JC? You would think they would be comparable.

troyfan
12-21-2012, 01:07 PM
UAH has a hell of a program and Coach Acuff isn't going to be there too much longer. As soon as his son graduates from high school he will be open to listening to offers. I would love to hire Acuff. All he has done since he has been there is win. Coach Acuff is a class guy and runs a great program. Of course UAH is one of the toughest academic schools in the country and to be as successful as he has been with the recruiting being tougher due to the admission standards tells you enough about the guy right there. I think of the 5 starters, 3 are pre med and 2 are engineering majors. All with high GPAs to go along with it.

troyfan
12-21-2012, 01:09 PM
It been a lot of years since I was there but their facilities were nothing out of this world. May be now. I know they spend a lot of time in the "lower 48" seeking athletes. Just seems to me a coach would get as tired of 7-8 wins a season as we do and he would bust his butt to change it. How do the eligibility standards differ from say Troy and a JC? You would think they would be comparable.

No, their facility is the same as it was when Troy was in the Gulf South. They do have some newer buildings on campus (student rec center) but Spragins Hall has had not changes to it since we were both Gulf South.

redwaver
12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
No, their facility is the same as it was when Troy was in the Gulf South. They do have some newer buildings on campus (student rec center) but Spragins Hall has had not changes to it since we were both Gulf South.
"Both Gulf South"? University of Alaska, Anchorage was never in the Gulf South. Did I miss something?