PDA

View Full Version : An argument for Sam Houston State to Sun Belt?

quietstorm
12-16-2012, 06:57 PM
If there is a case for Lamar, there should be a case for Sam Houston State also. This will also be the second consecutive year they will be playing for the FCS Championship. They also have great facilities like Lamar also.

The campus is located 1 hour north of Houston.

Basketball arena - 6,000+ seats

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=1275315

Football Stadium is small but has potential

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=1275265

So here are the schools I think should be added to the Sun Belt.

Lamar
Sam Houston State
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
Jacksonville State

Along with

Troy
Arkansas State
Georgia State
UL-Lafayette
UL-Monroe
Texas State
Western Kentucky
UT-Arlington
South Alabama

quietstorm
12-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Divisions? spread across 7 southern states within geographic footprint

West-Arkansas(1), Texas(4), and Louisiana teams(2)

Arkansas State
Lamar
Sam Houston State
Texas State
UT-Arlington
UL-Lafayette
UL-Monroe

East-Alabama(3), Georgia(2), North Carolina(1), Kentucky team(1)

Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Jacksonville State
South Alabama
Troy
Western Kentucky

Troy79
12-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Texas Arlington does not have a football team. They, along with UALR will be the two Sun Belt schools with teams in all other sports, except for football. I agree that both Lamar and Sam Houston would be logical teams to make the move to D-I, but to my knowledge, they have yet to petition the NCAA, which is required for consideration. At this time, Jax State has said they will not be making the jump.

I really believe that the other conference moves are not yet complete. The Big East is really hurting right now and likely could lose UConn and Cincy next. The likelihood is that the BE would then take two more C-USA schools which would then impact the Sun Belt again.

If the teams out West in the BE decide to bail and go to the Mtn West (Boise St., San Diego St, SMU and Houston), then we would probably either see the dismantling of the league or a merge between the remaining Big East football schools and most, if not all, of the C-USA schools.

It could be possible for the Big East to try and get two additional western teams so that they could have two 6 team divisions, one in the East and one in the West. This may be the Sun Belt's best option as their new western teams would likely come from the Mtn West so that conference would then pick off two, or maybe four more western located C-USA teams as replacements. This scenario could possibly lead to a merger between the remaining C-USA schools and the current 8 Sun Belt teams to form a mega-Southern conference (approximately 20 total teams with two divisions).

The MAC has 13 teams and to me, Marshall (C-USA) would be a better geographic fit and thus even up their two divisions.

Obviously, none of us have a clue how this whole realignment situation will play out but if the Sun Belt does not get absorbed into another league, or is not part of the formation of a new mega-type conference, we will likely remain in a Sun Belt conference that will be where all D-IAA teams will join when they make the move to D-I.

Go TROY!

dgoebel
12-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Texas Arlington does not have a football team. They, along with UALR will be the two Sun Belt schools with teams in all other sports, except for football. I agree that both Lamar and Sam Houston would be logical teams to make the move to D-I, but to my knowledge, they have yet to petition the NCAA, which is required for consideration. At this time, Jax State has said they will not be making the jump.

I really believe that the other conference moves are not yet complete. The Big East is really hurting right now and likely could lose UConn and Cincy next. The likelihood is that the BE would then take two more C-USA schools which would then impact the Sun Belt again.

If the teams out West in the BE decide to bail and go to the Mtn West (Boise St., San Diego St, SMU and Houston), then we would probably either see the dismantling of the league or a merge between the remaining Big East football schools and most, if not all, of the C-USA schools.

It could be possible for the Big East to try and get two additional western teams so that they could have two 6 team divisions, one in the East and one in the West. This may be the Sun Belt's best option as their new western teams would likely come from the Mtn West so that conference would then pick off two, or maybe four more western located C-USA teams as replacements. This scenario could possibly lead to a merger between the remaining C-USA schools and the current 8 Sun Belt teams to form a mega-Southern conference (approximately 20 total teams with two divisions).

The MAC has 13 teams and to me, Marshall (C-USA) would be a better geographic fit and thus even up their two divisions.

Obviously, none of us have a clue how this whole realignment situation will play out but if the Sun Belt does not get absorbed into another league, or is not part of the formation of a new mega-type conference, we will likely remain in a Sun Belt conference that will be where all D-IAA teams will join when they make the move to D-I.

Go TROY!

This whole conference shuffling is getting out of hand. Hard to know who is in what conference anymore. I agre with you on Marshall and the MAC and they were inthe MAC and left for C-USA. I also think WKU is a better fit for the MAC than the Sun Belt. Georgia Southern, App St, and down the road possibly Cent. Arkansas would be the logical choices fro the Sun Belt. The Texas schools make travel more dificult, especially in your non revenue sports like soccer, track, softball, baseball, golf etc. They could compete very easily in the Sun Belt for sure, that is a given.

Troy79
12-18-2012, 10:29 PM
The rumor up here in Kentucky is that Western Ky and New Mexico State will be the next two teams to be absorbed by C-USA, once the Big East loses two more schools and then raids C-USA again. If we do lose WKU, and if the Sun Belt does nothing, either by choice or because of circumstances, then I meant to add to my above post that I believe the future Sun Belt will look like this:

EAST:

App State
GA State
Georgia Southern
Liberty
South Alabama
TROY

WEST:

La Monroe
La La
Ark St
Texas St
Lamar
Sam Houston St.

This arrangement would allow all SB teams to play eight Conference games each year, either 2 or 3 division games at home each season, and 2 or 1 out of division home games for a total of 4 home conference games each year. We then could have one big money game (away) and one game against a D-I AA team (home) each season. That would leave two games to be played, we should arrange to have two home and home arrangements so we could play teams like Tulane, Southern Miss, Middle Tennessee, or ARMY/NAVY to provide TROY with 6 home games each and every season.

Go TROY!

WeSuck.com
02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
NMSU will not be absorbed by anyone other than the SunBelt - UTEP would have an absolute cow.

And while Sam Houston wins on the field, support is waning at best. And when they aren't winning, their stands resemble Legion Field.

Doug4Troy
02-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Well, I vote for Alabama State.

redwaver
02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Well, I vote for Alabama State.
What puzzles me is you hear no scuttlebutt out of the Belt office of any goings on to protect its existence. What is our new commissioner doing, if anything, on our behalf?

Doug4Troy
02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
What puzzles me is you hear no scuttlebutt out of the Belt office of any goings on to protect its existence. What is our new commissioner doing, if anything, on our behalf?

Scuttlebutt could kill deals before they have a chance to solidify... just my opinion.

redwaver
02-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Scuttlebutt could kill deals before they have a chance to solidify... just my opinion.
Don't seem to cause harm to the SEC, Big East, Big 12, WAC or any other conferences where changes are taking place daily so why the Sun Belt? Talk is everywhere. We all heard about FAU, FIU, NT and MTSU long before it happened. Now we are hearing WKU and I just bet you it comes true. I just wonder what our folks are rumored to be doing...if anything for us. Why are rumors/leaks only good for all other conferences? Maybe it is because they are going something!!!

Doug4Troy
02-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Don't seem to cause harm to the SEC, Big East, Big 12, WAC or any other conferences where changes are taking place daily so why the Sun Belt? Talk is everywhere. We all heard about FAU, FIU, NT and MTSU long before it happened. Now we are hearing WKU and I just bet you it comes true. I just wonder what our folks are rumored to be doing...if anything for us. Why are rumors/leaks only good for all other conferences? Maybe it is because they are going something!!!

See http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31820 and http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31821 for what our conference may be doing.

We are not the in the SEC, Big East, Big 12, etc. Maybe they have a better position to negotiate expansion, Sun Belt doesn't. It is what it is.

redwaver
02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
See http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31820 and http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31821 for what our conference may be doing.

We are not the in the SEC, Big East, Big 12, etc. Maybe they have a better position to negotiate expansion, Sun Belt doesn't. It is what it is.
Maybe it's time we stopped looking at ourselves (Belt) as unworthy stepchildren or we will always be sitting around waiting for them to throw us a bone or two. You never rise above what you see yourselves as. Several writers rate us above the CUSA. Time we started acting it!

Doug4Troy
02-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Maybe it's time we stopped looking at ourselves (Belt) as unworthy stepchildren or we will always be sitting around waiting for them to throw us a bone or two. You never rise above what you see yourselves as. Several writers rate us above the CUSA. Time we started acting it!

Considering yourself an unworthy stepchild and sitting around waiting, or waving a magic wand to make things happen instantly... is that the only two ways to describe what is happening in our conference?

redwaver
02-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Considering yourself an unworthy stepchild and sitting around waiting, or waving a magic wand to make things happen instantly... is that the only two ways to describe what is happening in our conference?
I don't know, you never hear anything about positive routes our conference is taking. That's my point! We need to be aggressive and PROactive in my humble opinion.

Jericho Johnny
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM
I agree with you in spirit, redwaver. It really is hard to be aggressive when, no matter how aggressive we get, our only options are picking up castaways like Idaho or NMSU or the low-hanging fruit of the FCS. We are a conference that everyone apparently leaves as soon as they can.

redwaver
02-04-2013, 09:15 PM
I agree with you in spirit, redwaver. It really is hard to be aggressive when, no matter how aggressive we get, our only options are picking up castaways like Idaho or NMSU or the low-hanging fruit of the FCS. We are a conference that everyone apparently leaves as soon as they can.
All due respect but WHY is that our only option? AGAIN, we have to stop looking at ourselves as a weak conference. Many on here have said, and rightfully so, that we are a stronger conference than CUSA, WAC and some even the MAC so why don't we get aggressive ourselves and act like it. We should never feel like our only opinion is "to take castoffs", NEVER! We need a dynamic leader who believes in us and is aggressive. Somebody just might take notice! JMHO!:-)

Doug4Troy
02-04-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't know, you never hear anything about positive routes our conference is taking. That's my point! We need to be aggressive and PROactive in my humble opinion.

So, it's not that the conference isn't doing anything... it's that you don't hear about it? The Sun Belt may be very proactive, maybe not. Just don't assume nothing is happening just because you don't hear about it.

I would love for the Sun Belt to be capable of going after a team and telling the world about it, but not caring who knows because the conference has mass appeal. But, that would not be realistic. Not saying the conference shouldn't be appealing to schoolsI just don't think most recognize the potential and they are distracted by shiny things, bells, and whistles. Just like some folks on this board.

Doug4Troy
02-04-2013, 09:26 PM
All due respect but WHY is that our only option? AGAIN, we have to stop looking at ourselves as a weak conference. Many on here have said, and rightfully so, that we are a stronger conference than CUSA, WAC and some even the MAC so why don't we get aggressive ourselves and act like it. We should never feel like our only opinion is "to take castoffs", NEVER! We need a dynamic leader who believes in us and is aggressive. Somebody just might take notice! JMHO!:-)

We need Paul "Bear" Bryant! Senior, not junior.

redwaver
02-04-2013, 09:41 PM
So, it's not that the conference isn't doing anything... it's that you don't hear about it? The Sun Belt may be very proactive, maybe not. Just don't assume nothing is happening just because you don't hear about it.

I would love for the Sun Belt to be capable of going after a team and telling the world about it, but not caring who knows because the conference has mass appeal. But, that would not be realistic. Not saying the conference shouldn't be appealing to schoolsI just don't think most recognize the potential and they are distracted by shiny things, bells, and whistles. Just like some folks on this board.
I don't care to get into making negative inferences about people on this board. They have a right to their thoughts whether I agree or not, but my point is if you believe you are second class you have already lost the contest whether its a game or a conference. Yep, I would like to know as much about what my conference is doing as those who have the inside info. Pick out whatever name for me you can think off but most every fan wants hot info or they are not very interested. Can't eat at special restaurants or hang around people in the know so , like many others, must rely on rumors to get updates. Funny, I know more about all the other conferences than I do about the Sun Belt as it relates to the future structure. To be a team player, I will just assume our director is working hard behind the scenes trying to bring about the best membership setup that is available to us and when all is in place he will thrill us with some startling revelation......or will he take a tip from Washington and invoke it to being under seal!:-)

redwaver
02-04-2013, 09:43 PM
We need Paul "Bear" Bryant! Senior, not junior.
We don't need the man (Bryant) just the commitment!

Doug4Troy
02-04-2013, 09:59 PM
We don't need the man (Bryant) just the commitment!

It wasn't just commitment... it was resources.

Doug4Troy
02-04-2013, 11:34 PM
I don't care to get into making negative inferences about people on this board. They have a right to their thoughts whether I agree or not, but my point is if you believe you are second class you have already lost the contest whether its a game or a conference. Yep, I would like to know as much about what my conference is doing as those who have the inside info. Pick out whatever name for me you can think off but most every fan wants hot info or they are not very interested. Can't eat at special restaurants or hang around people in the know so , like many others, must rely on rumors to get updates. Funny, I know more about all the other conferences than I do about the Sun Belt as it relates to the future structure. To be a team player, I will just assume our director is working hard behind the scenes trying to bring about the best membership setup that is available to us and when all is in place he will thrill us with some startling revelation......or will he take a tip from Washington and invoke it to being under seal!:-)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ok. :rollinglaugh: