PDA

View Full Version : New OC is out there!

littlebittyschool
10-31-2005, 02:13 PM
ESPN is reporting that Randy Sanders from Tennessee has just resigned.

If I was our AD, I'd be on the phone to Knoxville right now. Remember the post I made about hiring an OC? Go old, go young, go ugly? This is going ugly. Sanders has had a lot of the blame laid on him for all of UT's problems this year. The man didn't forget how to coach overnight. I'd bet we could get him for less than half of what he was making at UT. We need to take a gamble and get this guy right now. If we get him in here soon, he can help us on the recruiting trail now and maybe able to sway a couple of recruits or transfers with him.

You wanna be big time Troy? Here's your chance!

kiwan
10-31-2005, 02:38 PM
you beat me to it!

ksdtrojan
10-31-2005, 03:07 PM
And what are the odds of him coming to Troy?
I'd say slim to none.

CattouseFan
10-31-2005, 03:23 PM
I think we should at least try to get him to come to Troy.

The Red Wave
10-31-2005, 03:30 PM
you leave a top SEC school and come to TROY and make $60K ? Man, the lead must be flowing in the water in Troy.

TrojanWar
10-31-2005, 03:33 PM
you leave a top SEC school and come to TROY and make $60K ? Man, the lead must be flowing in the water in Troy.

Why would you pay him $15K a year less than MF? How about we pay him $100K, and go back to a single DC. The money would be there.

ksdtrojan
10-31-2005, 03:39 PM

Why would you pay him $15K a year less than MF? How about we pay him $100K, and go back to a single DC. The money would be there.

I like it!!!

TroyPremier
10-31-2005, 03:41 PM
It all depends on what his chances are of finding another job elsewhere. If the situation in Knoxville causes him to be low demand, then he might be begging to find a coaching job somewhere. You can't win the lottery if you don't play and we have no where to go but higher with our offensive situation. If we don't at least show interest in him, we are ignorant.

kiwan
10-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Even if we don't get him, we should approach him or someone who has had a prominent role with a big time program. Premier to the words ou of my mouth.

TrojanWar
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Here is the link to the story on ESPN.com:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2209339

D1Trojan4U
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
. I'd bet we could get him for less than half of what he was making at UT.

Which is probably still at least 20% more than Larry Makes.

TrojanWar
10-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Nah, it's not that much. Larry is making over $200K now. I doubt Sanders is making over $200K now. Not much more if any. He is not a guy everyone has tried to steal away. Without a job, you might be surprised at what he would take for a OC position at a D1A school.

Trojan2003
10-31-2005, 03:58 PM
. I'd bet we could get him for less than half of what he was making at UT.

Which is probably still at least 20% more than Larry Makes.
His salary was app. $145,000 in 2004.

TrojanEmpire
10-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Sorry sports fans, Randy Sanders is not coming to Troy. We can come on here all we want and say we should go after him. Why bother? It is not going to happen.

TrojanWar
10-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Sorry sports fans, Randy Sanders is not coming to Troy. We can come on here all we want and say we should go after him. Why bother? It is not going to happen.

You gotta believe! We are not saying it WILL happen. We are saying there is no reason to overlook him. How many big time D1A schools do you think will take a chance on him right now?

TrojanEmpire
10-31-2005, 04:07 PM

You gotta believe! We are not saying it WILL happen. We are saying there is no reason to overlook him. How many big time D1A schools do you think will take a chance on him right now?

I understand where you are coming from, but we (Troy) should not waste our time with what would be a short-term fix at best. We need to think long-term and get someone who is young and hungry with something to prove or someone who is older, more experienced, has nothing to prove and still wants to coach. I feel like Sanders in damaged goods. I don't know if he would want to take the salary cut to come to Troy when some MAC or C-USA school can pay him more (and probably will).

ksdtrojan
10-31-2005, 04:07 PM
From the article on ESPN

Coach Phil Fulmer will take over the play-calling responsibilities for the remainder of the season.

Now the UT faithful will rest easy with Fulmer calling the plays!!! Yeah, right!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TUTrojan
10-31-2005, 04:18 PM
We don't have to go looking through the the junk heap. There are plenty of up and comers that have a solid understanding of a complete offensive system (or at least a complimentary selection of plays that could be employed by the talent we have to top our current output). We can do some homework and find them on the lower college levels or even in top-tier high schools.

May I propose another option? Troy could pay me exactly half of what they pay MF and I will come to all games and throw darts at the board that has our plays on it. I won't try to coach any players, either.

TrojanWar
10-31-2005, 04:32 PM
How many successful OC's would not be a short-term fix? Anyone that has great success at Troy will eventually leave for a higher paying position at a bigger school.

You say RS is damaged goods and we should not take a chance on him. Look how the Auburn "damaged goods" worked out for Troy with LB. I'm sure Troy would not be the only school looking at RS...you are right there. A MAC or CUSA school probably could pay him more. We will never know if we don't FIRE FLEETWOOD and take a chance.

I know of the best high school coach in America and he would be excellent, but I think he may be on the sidelines with an SEC school next year. The best high school coaches would most certainly have to take a pay cut to come to Troy.

TUTrojan
10-31-2005, 04:54 PM
With all of the money that has been invested into our football program, why can't we come up with a few more dollars to sure up our coaching positions? If we are dumping so much into this program, why don't we do it right? It won't take too many years of being the Sunbelt's doormat before the positive momentum created by our move to D-1 and sporadic success since then are completely forgotten...

If the university cannot find the funds, is the athletic program making strides in developing some methods to bring in the dough (besides the standard income producing road/money games)?

CattouseFan
10-31-2005, 05:04 PM
I would be willing to pitch in $$ just to see a new OC at Troy!

BDM88
10-31-2005, 09:53 PM
From Someone living in Tennessee The news we are getting is he step down and will still coach the QB's until the end of the season. Unless there has been some new info out of Knoxville I won't get until 11pm.

Steve

BMarkey
10-31-2005, 10:16 PM
I guess FAU should let Matt Dougherty go and apologize for trying (and succeeding) to hire him?

Maybe, Schnelly should go, too?

They're too good for a SunBelt team, right?

I say go for the best guy you can get, regardless of the pay scale and public expectations. You might just get lucky.

D1Trojan4U
10-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Wow....Schnelly....seriously? I heard Anna Nicole Smith was getting half of his money when he died. :lol: And its not like Matt came from NC to FAU....he came from ESPN.

BMarkey
10-31-2005, 11:26 PM
... They could have gone to many bigger and better followed programs. FAU thought big and won.

Navarre Trojan
11-01-2005, 07:53 AM
had Randy Sanders going to Middle Tenn after this season. They were talking like this is very likely, Andy McCullum out do to the dismal W/L record at Middle.

Just what I heard last night, now, it might be to small of a program from what some of you are saying, So now I don't know if Middle will even get a shot at him.

kiwan
11-01-2005, 09:15 AM
I heard the same thing about MTSU.

bulldogtrojan
11-01-2005, 10:09 AM
taking a look at some of the really successful D-1AA programs? Granted some of them probably pay more than we do, but we are right in line with all the Sunbelt schools, with one exception - an Asst. head coach which we don't have and many of them do. Some of those guys who have been sucessful would welcome a bump up to the next level. Maybe they could get us to where we need to be - at the top of the SunBelt and then we go from there. And like it or not LB will not always be here. We need to have short-term and long-term goals for this program. Short term - Fire MF and let LB wear the headset.

TrojanWar
11-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Tennessee bit the bullet, now Troy needs to do the same thing. The difference is that Tennessee didn't wait around for as many years as Troy to see how bad it could get. Yeah, I know, he resigned. How many people really believe that?

Nice Trojan
11-01-2005, 10:41 AM
I heard that they (Tennessee) were dumping Jimmy Ray Stephens their OL coach as well. He was Danny Wuerffel's head coach in high school and followed Danny to UF before he went to UT. We could get someone on that level. He knows offense and is someone Troy could possibly afford.