PDA

View Full Version : AL LUCAS NIGHT

matttsu40
10-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Hope everyone made it to AL LUCAS night Thursday. It was quite humbling to see the family of AL LUCAS on the field to accept tribute memorabilia of his playing days at Troy State. I had the pleasure of playing with AL for 4 years and he was such a great leader and friend. Rest in peace Al.

Rette
10-26-2005, 02:43 PM
I am new to Trojan Football. (2002) I understand Al was awarded the "Buck Buchanon Award" which is given to the outstanding D1AA lineman. But, I notice in some pictures of him he is running with the ball.
Tell me about Al Lucas.

kiwan
10-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Ever heard of William "The Refrigerator" Perry. Al would lineup in the backfield in short yardage situations. He did a heck of a job running the ball.

matttsu40
10-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Al Lucas was best described physically as a "specimen". When he arrived on campus in '96, he immediately saw playing time because of sheer talent and size. He was the hardest worker I have ever seen and by his senior year had developed into a force to be reconed with. He was only 6'2" but his 300 pounds was all muscle. Yes, he was so talented and big that we used him on our "big" team offense. If we were inside the 3 yard line, the whole team would chant, BIG! and Al trotted on the field to the roar of everyone to take a simple dive handoff. He always scored, and the few times he didn't, we would try again and of course he would score. You would expect Al to be a hard guy off the field, but to my surprise, time on the bus with Al was filled with his high pitched sqeals notifying us that hard candy was being thrown threw the bus at warp speed. Of course, most of the time hitting my head and many others. The laughs I will never forget. Al was a legend.

TrojanWar
10-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks Matt! That was an awesome post!

matttsu40
10-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Your very welcome. I have alot of memories to share from my amazing days at Troy "State". Anyone feel free to ask specifics. Go Troy!

TUTrojan
10-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Are you the same Matt that tried out for the Denver Broncos recently? If so, I found out from a mutual friend (and former center during your era). Best of wishes and good to see you around here.

matttsu40
10-26-2005, 06:45 PM
I am not the Matt that tried out for Denver recently, but I am the Matt that retired from the NFL recently. Thank you for the welcome. I am enjoying being back in Alabama to support my ole team.

whereiskelvin
10-26-2005, 06:52 PM
You are Matt the punter then? Welcome. I heard you were a great athlete in high school as well. With you and Olmstead Troy is building a great legacy at that position.

Larry Grant
10-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Matt,

Great seeing your posts and hearing from another Troy success story at the next level. Your recounts of Al is a warm story that transends the game itself. I rarely post here, but I do read the board on occasion. This is the stuff I like to read.

I'm proud my son is part of the roster for Troy in his first year. While Troy is not the profile of some of the other schools that wanted his services, we firmly believe LB, Troy, and the Trojan Nation will have some great years to come. Your support and input will be an inspiration to the boys as they weather some storms this year.

matttsu40
10-26-2005, 07:06 PM
You got it, I was the punter. I am proud that Olmsted came to Troy when he could have gone anywhere. I was with him on the sideline Thursday and he told me that he was going to Florida until Spurrier left. What a great asset a kicker can be. There arent many in college doing well this year.

Who told you about my high school athletic career?

matttsu40
10-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Hi Larry, thank you for your encouraging words. I strongly believe your son made a great decision coming to Troy, and I hope it is a positive experience as it was for me. Coach Blakeney was a tremendous influence and played a pivetal role in my development as a player. He truly knows how to get the most out of his players. I know the guys can rebound from the loses, they are part of a winning tradition!! GO TROY!

TUTrojan
10-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Great to have you back on here! Maybe he told me that Kerry Jenkins had worked out with Denver recently, but he always talks about what a tremendous punter you were!

matttsu40
10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
What was your name TUTrojan? And are you referring to Leonard Shaughnessy? Its great to be back on here!

CattouseFan
10-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Great to have you back! That was a great story you told about Al Lucas. It sounds like he was an incredible guy. Thanks for the story.

matttsu40
10-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks CattouseFan! and your welcome for the story, I have many...

kiwan
10-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Is it true Kerry worked out for the Broncos, he has seats by me at the gallery. I noticed he was not there Thurs night. Could of been because of the stupid thurs night game.

whereiskelvin
10-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Matt. I am friends with one of your old coaches at Calvary-Shawn. He was just out of college here at Troy when he coached you. Anyway I remember before your coming to Troy he told me about a great all around athlete that was on the team.

goe1975
10-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey Matt, now that you have retired from the NFL, have you considered trying to get on the staff at Troy? I would think you would bring a wealth of knowledge to our special teams and you would be a great recruiting asset with your background.

FRED_of_TROY
10-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey...do you know anything about offense??? We have a former kicker coaching offense now. You've got to be better than him!!

matttsu40
10-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Hey whereiskelvin. Shawn was a key influence in my development as a basketball player in high school. I spent the majority of junior high watching him play high school ball. He was very talented and strong mentally. He was one of the few I looked up too. If you here from him again, tell him hello. I lost contact with him when I moved to Colorado. Is he still doing pharmaceuticals? Take care.

matttsu40
10-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey goe1975. Now that I have left the NFL behind me and moved on, that was an option. I spoke with LB this spring about getting on staff as a GA. No slots were available and I wasn't sure I really wanted to do it at that time. It is definitely an option since my knowledge is majority football. If he asked me to be apart of the staff I would! Take care.

matttsu40
10-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Hey FRED_of_TROY. I'm going to opt out of answering that. It seems that you are one of the many frustrated with the offense this year. I look at it this way.....it can only get better.....take care.

ksdtrojan
10-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Hey FRED_of_TROY. I going to opt out of answering that. It seems that you are one of the many frustrated with the offense this year. I look at it this way.....it can only get better.....take care.

Good Answer!!! I believe that is the way I would have answered that question in your position.

FRED_of_TROY
10-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Hey...

I was joking. :?

matttsu40
10-28-2005, 01:37 PM
I know Fred, that response was for those who weren't!Go Trojans!

whereiskelvin
10-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Matt check your private message box.