PDA

View Full Version : Troy quarterback tough on himself

TroyTrojanMan
10-25-2005, 12:09 PM
By Ken Rogers, The Messenger

No one is tougher on Julian Foster than Julian Foster.

The true freshman quarterback from Mobile drew solid marks from coaches and teammates while helping Troy defeat Florida International 18-13 last Saturday.

"He did really good," senior tailback Joel Whinghter said Monday. "That's a true freshman stepping up and getting a win in a big conference game. We don't play for stats, we play for wins - especially at that position. That's asking a lot out of a freshman. But he stayed cool and played a good game."

Foster sounded less sure.

"I didn't think I did that bad, I guess," he offered.

"My teammates had a great game. The line gave me time to throw. The receivers made big catches. The backs moved the chains. The defense played great. I had the easy part."

That's not how most people saw it, including Trojan head coach Larry Blakeney.

"I think he saw things pretty well," Blakeney said. "But the key to doing that is make sure he's not looking at a whole lot."

Blakeney said everyone must take responsibility in helping the offense improve under a freshman quarterback.

"Every man on our offense must do their job to make his job easier - because he's got the toughest job out there," Blakeney said.

Foster knows where he'll be as he prepares for his second collegiate start - his first on the road - this Saturday against Louisiana-Lafayette.

"I'll be watching films," said Foster, who threw for 150 yards on 12 of 19 passing. "That's a big part of being prepared and it's still new. I look for coverages, defensive formations, blitzes, everything."

One piece of tape he didn't need to see was of himself - floating a pass to fullback Sean Dawkins early against FIU. Foster was under pressure and flipped a high pass off his back foot to Dawkins, who was fully stretched out when he was hit hard by Panther defenders.

"I spent the rest of the game apologizing to him," Foster said, smiling and wincing at the same time. "I say, you OK? He was great, though. He said don't worry about it. Just keep throwing."

Troy plays the Ragin' Cajuns at 4 p.m. Saturday in Lafayette, La. The Trojans are 2-1 in Sun Belt Conference games, 3-4 overall. Lafayette is 1-2 in the league, including a victory over Middle Tennessee last week, and 2-5 overall.

ksdtrojan
10-25-2005, 01:01 PM
By Ken Rogers, The Messenger

No one is tougher on Julian Foster than Julian Foster.

The true freshman quarterback from Mobile drew solid marks from coaches and teammates while helping Troy defeat Florida International 18-13 last Saturday.

"He did really good," senior tailback Joel Whinghter said Monday. "That's a true freshman stepping up and getting a win in a big conference game. We don't play for stats, we play for wins - especially at that position. That's asking a lot out of a freshman. But he stayed cool and played a good game."

Foster sounded less sure.

"I didn't think I did that bad, I guess," he offered.

"My teammates had a great game. The line gave me time to throw. The receivers made big catches. The backs moved the chains. The defense played great. I had the easy part."

That's not how most people saw it, including Trojan head coach Larry Blakeney.

"I think he saw things pretty well," Blakeney said. "But the key to doing that is make sure he's not looking at a whole lot."

Blakeney said everyone must take responsibility in helping the offense improve under a freshman quarterback.

"Every man on our offense must do their job to make his job easier - because he's got the toughest job out there," Blakeney said.

Foster knows where he'll be as he prepares for his second collegiate start - his first on the road - this Saturday against Louisiana-Lafayette.

"I'll be watching films," said Foster, who threw for 150 yards on 12 of 19 passing. "That's a big part of being prepared and it's still new. I look for coverages, defensive formations, blitzes, everything."

One piece of tape he didn't need to see was of himself - floating a pass to fullback Sean Dawkins early against FIU. Foster was under pressure and flipped a high pass off his back foot to Dawkins, who was fully stretched out when he was hit hard by Panther defenders.

"I spent the rest of the game apologizing to him," Foster said, smiling and wincing at the same time. "I say, you OK? He was great, though. He said don't worry about it. Just keep throwing."

Troy plays the Ragin' Cajuns at 4 p.m. Saturday in Lafayette, La. The Trojans are 2-1 in Sun Belt Conference games, 3-4 overall. Lafayette is 1-2 in the league, including a victory over Middle Tennessee last week, and 2-5 overall.

Good article!!! After the hit SD took I think JF should take him to lunch or something.