PDA

View Full Version : Utterly Sick

TrojanFanatic
11-03-2012, 12:17 PM
"Today is a difficult day for me...since my favorite team (Tennessee) and the school I go to (Troy) are playing. However, i can only say one thing...Go Vols!!!"

This is a quote from a Troy SGA Senator and Ambassador for our university. I'm sickened beyond belief by this. What do you think Troy students?

Possum
11-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Hang him.

dgoebel
11-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Adios muchacho. If he loves The Vols so much go to school there. What an idiot.

TrojanFanatic
11-03-2012, 08:53 PM
his argument, when confronted, was that football and school are two different things and that he's been a Vol's fan for life and he see's no reason to change.

I realize that some people are like that, and I realize that this isn't that big of a deal, to most anyway, it bothers me. I was a Bama fan, heck, I'm watching the game now. (it's actually pretty good) I just don't understand why you'd 1) Post on Facebook for all to read 2) Even say it

dgoebel
11-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Once again, tell the idiot to go to school at UT. Why is he at Troy?

TrojanFanatic
11-04-2012, 12:35 PM
probably can't get in

dgoebel
11-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Probably has all his teeth and scored above a 800 ACT :rollinglaugh:

UT has standards but teeth and bathing are unexceptable.

TrojanPride87
11-04-2012, 03:10 PM
to me if you are a representative of the university in those manners you should not be acting like it. If not, remove yourself from those positions. You were placed in those position for reason of going to TROY, maybe it was because you have money. I don't know.

tntrojan
11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
TP 87 - agree. He has the right to cheer for UT, but it is extremely poor taste to do so as a SGA senator and an ambassador for the school. Any of you around when the kid worked for the Trop (i think) and wrote how he was cheering for UGA when we played them a few years back? Also disappointing.
Of course, I also had to smile when I walked paste the SUV parked in Knoxville with the Troy sticker on the back window and the AU specialty license plate. Really? Just buy the Troy plate.

TrojanPride87
11-05-2012, 11:42 AM
I remember him, he was very unprofessional.

ForeverLoyal88
11-05-2012, 04:19 PM
As someone who was involved with SGA and Trojan Ambassadors, I can tell you that the majority of both organizations are made up of "loyal students". I was told personally today by the Director of Student Involvement that the student who posted those comments has been ragged heavily ever since he made them and that it will be addressed to those organizations. I was also told he was a very active member of both organizations and just made a terrible lapse in judgement. GO TROJANS and let's look forward to NAVY!

Burn the Horse
11-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Any of you around when the kid worked for the Trop (i think) and wrote how he was cheering for UGA when we played them a few years back? Also disappointing.

I was writing for the Trop at the same time as Nick, and I remember him well. He wore a UGA hat every day, and still does I believe.

He was rather rude to me recently when I approached him and a friend of mine at their tailgate prior to the Miss State game, don't really know why...I was polite and happy to see them both. If he wants to be a Trojan turncoat, and talk bad about me behind my back, well that's just a negative reflection on him. I'm awesome, just ask folks around here. :taunt002:

Pensacola Kid
11-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Adios muchacho. If he loves The Vols so much go to school there. What an idiot.

I also pull for another program, but I also went to school there (They are currently ranked in the Top 5). It's very unlikely that the two teams will ever meet, but if the do...I will just sit back, relax and enjoy the game.

Surf Report:
Still no surf in TROY and it's darn cold!

Possum
11-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I currently am getting my masters at a FCS school... Ya, I wear a hat that has their logo on it... I guess I consider them my favorite FCS school, but TROY will always be where my heart is.

SoFlaTrojan
12-12-2012, 07:18 PM
This misguided student should be stripped of any leadership role at Troy. How can someone who cares more about some other school that likely did not even accept him be a leader and role model for the school he disavows?!

This is disgusting.

If you actually attended that other college, I have no problem with your dual and/or strained allegiance.

Issues like this are all over the place on social media. I regularly defriend people who went to Troy, yet clearly follow and (more importantly openly) cheer for some other program online. A mini-war just broke out on the Facebook page of my fraternity alumni association, where many of the older alumns run around screaming "Roll Tide" and "War Eagle" (well, not so much now), and "Go Gators". They come to Troy for Homecoming but do not attend the game. They stay at the fraternity house and watch another game instead. It disgusts me and I fight it, but am told it's an Alabama "cultural" thing I don't understand. That's B.S.! It used to be that way in Florida, too, but now you see lots of support for the other four I-A schools not part of the alleged "Big Three". Times change.

These people do not even realize how devoid of pride and traitorous they are when they list Troy yet use a profile image with another program's logo, or of themselves wearing some other school's gear. It's getting worse now with the national championship game coming up. If I were checking out someone for a job and saw that, I would not hire him. No loyalty.

Part of this problem is because Troy University does not do enough with its incoming students to build pride, instill traditions, etc. That has to improve.

Drawing the line, Trojan or not?

The time has come for TROY students to draw the line - either you are a TROY TROJAN or not. If not, I would recommend that you make a quick stop by the records office and have your transcript forwarded to your "favorite" school - in short, be a TROJAN or leave.

I managed to keep these strong feelings under control, until my breaking point was reached after reading the sports column by Nick Duke titled "A Dawg's Life" in the November 1, 2007, edition of the Tropolitan.

Just to know that we have a TROY student, working for the TROY student newspaper, writing an editorial describing how his deep allegiance to Georgia would mean that he would be traveling to Athens to pull for Georgia, against HIS school, is a slap in the face to the entire TROY family.

But not to single out Nick (who only served as the trigger for this letter), we have many students who display a similar lack of respect on a daily basis. Next time you are looking for a parking spot, just take a good look at the cars in the lot and you will see what I mean. TROY students with Alabama and Auburn flags flying, window stickers reading "S The Coach", personalized license plates that support Alabama and Auburn - which pays into their respective university scholarship funds. Once again, you are supporting students at those universities while you attend school at TROY? Have you ever REALLY thought about how counterproductive that is to YOUR degree?

As a faculty member and TROY alum, it irritates me immensely that we have students on this campus who are given alumni-supported scholarships who do not support this university. We have TROY athletes from all sports who walk in classrooms to see Alabama and Auburn shirts and caps filling the class - not exactly encouraging to our student-athletes would you say?

In support of our athletes, I do not let a student enter my class with other university clothing without asking the reasoning behind supporting another university while you are a student at TROY. So, for further reference, avoid Dr. Edwards if you do not want to be "called out" for your wardrobe selection in front of the class.

Being born and raised in Alabama, where pulling for Alabama or Auburn is part of the cultural fabric of this State, I can be sympathetic to the mindset of the students. I also chose my Alabama and Auburn side early in life. Nonetheless, there came a point in time I lost my ability to be an Alabama fan. That was in August of 2001 - the year my school Troy State University, became a Division I-A football program and direct rival to Alabama and Auburn. At that point, I chose to draw a permanent line. I am raising my children, in Alabama, to be Troy Trojans - there is no need to choose between Alabama and Auburn in my house because they are irrelevant.

Without exception, this must be the hard stance all past, current, and future members of the TROY family must take for our university to reach its full potential.

So again, ask yourself the question: are you a TROY TROJAN or not?

Judson C. Edwards,
Director, Center for International Business and Economic Development,
Associate Professor of Economics
Troy University

TrojanPride87
12-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Actually I agree with his letter. However, if you got your undergraduate Auburn then I wouldn't see a issue wearing it when you are at TROY for your masters.

I do support this letter 110% though.

SoFlaTrojan
12-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Hey, if you attended two or more schools, you have earned the right to support both, or just one - either one. No problem. But that situation is tiny in comparison with what we see.

But when you wear one school's gear to the other's game, you are putting an exclamation point on the school you support first. And if the school whose gear you are wearing is not playing your other school, you are intentionally insulting your other alma mater.

I have been called out a few times by people who have seen me at FAU games and posting about that school. I do not hide the fact that I wish that school well, attend many of its games (one of my paid freelance jobs) and like to see it succeed. My daughter graduated from FAU and I paid that school a lot of money. It's also my local school and I am staunchly civically supportive.

But when Troy plays at FAU, I wear a polo shirt wit a Troy logo. And believe me, I have caught hell for it from my employer and those who see me at lots of FAU games and other functions. I explain that Troy is my school and I would have no pride or class if I did not support it. Most people understand.

dgoebel
12-13-2012, 05:16 PM
This misguided student should be stripped of any leadership role at Troy. How can someone who cares more about some other school that likely did not even accept him be a leader and role model for the school he disavows?!

This is disgusting.

If you actually attended that other college, I have no problem with your dual and/or strained allegiance.

Issues like this are all over the place on social media. I regularly defriend people who went to Troy, yet clearly follow and (more importantly openly) cheer for some other program online. A mini-war just broke out on the Facebook page of my fraternity alumni association, where many of the older alumns run around screaming "Roll Tide" and "War Eagle" (well, not so much now), and "Go Gators". They come to Troy for Homecoming but do not attend the game. They stay at the fraternity house and watch another game instead. It disgusts me and I fight it, but am told it's an Alabama "cultural" thing I don't understand. That's B.S.! It used to be that way in Florida, too, but now you see lots of support for the other four I-A schools not part of the alleged "Big Three". Times change.

These people do not even realize how devoid of pride and traitorous they are when they list Troy yet use a profile image with another program's logo, or of themselves wearing some other school's gear. It's getting worse now with the national championship game coming up. If I were checking out someone for a job and saw that, I would not hire him. No loyalty.

Part of this problem is because Troy University does not do enough with its incoming students to build pride, instill traditions, etc. That has to improve.

BRAVO!!!! Well Said, Could not Agree More!!!!!!