PDA

View Full Version : Another "blackout" article

CattouseFan
10-20-2005, 12:42 PM
There will be a blackout in Troy, Ala. Thursday night.

But it’s not what you might think. Unless an unexpected tropical storm blows through the state, the lights won’t go out when the Troy Trojans take the field for their second midweek night game of the season.

But players on the field and fans in the seats will be clad in black from head to toe for the first time since 1999.

The “blackout”, as Troy University officials are calling it, is being conducted in honor of former Troy All-American Al Lucas. The linebacker died last April as a result of a neck injury incurred in an Arena Football game.

Players will wear the black jerseys and helmets that the Trojans last donned in Lucas’ senior year and fans will join the tribute by wearing black to create a congruous effect in the stands.

The event is intended to raise funds for the Al Lucas Fund for Student-Athlete Excellence, but after four straight road games, it could also give the Trojans an added emotional advantage over the visiting Florida International Panthers.

"This will be our first home game in more than a month and the ‘blackout’ will make it an even bigger event," Trojans coach Larry Blakeney said. "Al Lucas was very special to all of us here at Troy University and to honor him in this way, on national television, will be something that everyone will remember for years to come."

Special “blackout” t-shirts are being sold on campus and through the school’s website. In a press release from the athletic department, the university is even talking about painting the stadium black for the occasion.

The game will be broadcast nationally on ESPNU, which always adds excitement to the atmosphere, but with such an emotional element added into the equation, this contest is quickly taking on a circus atmosphere in the town of fewer than 14,000 residents.

But does all this extracurricular action really help the home team?

"Not necessarily," says Covers Expert Ted Sevransky. "If it`s an emotional night for a team, sometimes they`ll get wiped out by the fourth quarter. LSU`s first game back in Louisiana was a classic example of how the excitement works both ways (LSU lost 30-27 to Tennessee as 6 1/2-point favorites)."

In the only other televised night game at Troy’s Memorial Stadium since the team made the jump to Division I-A, the Trojans upset the Missouri Tigers 24-14 in a game that scored big with Troy backers who took them as 11 ½-point underdogs.

Oddsmakers have the Trojans listed as 8 ½-point favorites for Thursday’s game. The total is set at 45 ½.

kiwan
10-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Special “blackout” t-shirts are being sold on campus and through the school’s website. In a press release from the athletic department, the university is even talking about painting the stadium black for the occasion.

Did the reporter take that literally about painting the stadium?

troy4ever
10-20-2005, 12:55 PM
HAHA, if they're gonna paint the whole stadium black then they'd better get a few thousand people and get busy or they'll never make it by game time!

CattouseFan
10-20-2005, 01:00 PM
I got the article from a canadian newspaper. :lol: Maybe thats all I have to say

FRED_of_TROY
10-20-2005, 01:01 PM
It seriously looks that way.

Trojan2003
10-20-2005, 01:13 PM
I got the article from a canadian newspaper. :lol: Maybe thats all I have to say
Is this the same Canadian newspaper that mentioned our last year's game against "Mississippi" (instead of Missouri) ?

Quote:

...["I think it will hurt them," says Covers Expert Tony George. "Troy is a very strong football team and they’ve won some big games like last year against Mississippi. I think it’s a big advantage for them."]...