PDA

View Full Version : WDE transfers

GoTroyGo1
10-13-2012, 03:45 PM
With the sorry state of football on the plains, who would we be interested in picking up if we could? Any of our QB's are better than theirs. Maybe McCaleb could help us out in the running game with Southward leaving.

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Let's just get after their recruits.

GoTroyGo1
10-13-2012, 04:07 PM
I think we can take one or two away instate from them this year. With the way it is right now. Troy sells itself over them.

Hemi Man
10-13-2012, 04:13 PM
I say we go after the people backing them financially.

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 04:15 PM

Now that is a great idea.

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Hell, let's just get D Ware and Osi to come play a few downs. It's not like anyone is checking ID out there.

GoTroyGo1
10-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Sadly, I think more than a few of them are Troy alums.

Burn the Horse
10-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Sadly, I think more than a few of them are Troy alums.

Amen, shameful and unforgiveable.

I have fraternity brothers who still do this. They wear Bama or Barn gear and are always the ones on facebook saying RTR or WDE. I got in a big argument with one just the other day about it. Hardheaded turd-muncher.

:censored: me off.

TrojanEmpire
10-13-2012, 05:31 PM
In the interest if full disclosure, I have followed Auburn athletics since I was 5 and will continue to do so consisering I am working on getting a graduate degree at Auburn. However, Troy will always come first.
With that said, Auburn and/or Alabama's successes/ failures have no real impact on us. Why do we care? It is very rare that we legitimately compete against either school for the same recruits. I am more concerned about competing for the same recruits that our rivals are going after.

Burn the Horse
10-13-2012, 05:46 PM
My parents AND grandparents are all Auburn grads, so you can imagine I grew up quite the little Tiger. We had season tickets every year of my life until 2003 when I went to Troy, then my folks dropped 'em for Trojan tickets.

I don't know if I am weird or what (because I seem to be in a minority on this one), but when I got to Troy I cut all ties with Auburn. I don't even pull for them anymore, heck quite often I pull against them. I see most Troy students/fans say they ALSO pull for Auburn or Alabama and cite the fact they grew up a fan of that team as the reason why. I reject this train of thought. It's not like these are professional teams, they are SCHOOLS. You wouldn't cheer for your highschool's rival football team, why do the same thing at the college level? Our State is so backwards in this regard.

Now if you have degrees from both schools that's one thing, you have a legitimate reason for investing your time, money, and emotions in to two programs. But, if your only reason for having split loyalties is, "I grew up a fan," then I will insult you for such disloyalty to your alma mater. :rolleyes04:

trojanbrutha
10-13-2012, 05:49 PM
In the interest if full disclosure, I have followed Auburn athletics since I was 5 and will continue to do so consisering I am working on getting a graduate degree at Auburn. However, Troy will always come first.
With that said, Auburn and/or Alabama's successes/ failures have no real impact on us. Why do we care? It is very rare that we legitimately compete against either school for the same recruits. I am more concerned about competing for the same recruits that our rivals are going after.

I believe its about donating to a school that's not your alma mater...once you've received a degree. Some people cling to those excuses to justify why they support schools from which they probably didn't graduate. In life, we all make choices. Loyalty to your school isn't a really difficult concept, from my perspective. I'm just sayin'...

likesturtles
10-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I have never attended a class at Troy or FSU but follow both programs. Went to a small university in NJ that has a fairly successful team, but I wasn't interested in football at the time I attended so have no interest in trying to follow the team. Troy comes first (wife is alum), FSU second for both of us. We spend money on both and go to games at both. Though we do have the sense not to wear gear from one school into the stadium of the other. I just don't get this whole "you can only support one school's football program" mentality.

Burn the Horse
10-13-2012, 06:06 PM
I just don't get this whole "you can only support one school's football program" mentality.

Some people get it, some don't. I think it's more about supporting a school your's competes with, when you didn't go there.

At Troy we've had a terrible time with students refusing to support their own program, instead giving their love and loyalty to Auburn or Alabama. It's made many of us angry for a long long time. I don't expect you to fully understand since your not an alumnus, but you're welcome to take my word for it...i'm an expert on the subject. :thumb:

likesturtles
10-13-2012, 06:19 PM
But we don't really compete with AL and AU. Not in the present, at least, because we play at completely different levels. I do think you should support your school, just not necessarily in sports. Donate but follow whatever program gives you the most satisfaction. It's a game and meant to be fun. If the big time program provides greater satisfaction, especially if you grew up a fan, stick with it. Just because someone was a student doesn't mean they have any interest in the school's sports programs. They may have just come to the school for the education.

This is just a devil's advocate point of view and doesn't mean that we shouldn't recruit new fans. Just pointing out that there's a big difference between who and how we all play. It's an evolving thing.

And I appreciate your expertness in all things Troy football. :thumb:

TrojanEmpire
10-13-2012, 06:23 PM
I believe its about donating to a school that's not your alma mater...once you've received a degree. Some people cling to those excuses to justify why they support schools from which they probably didn't graduate. In life, we all make choices. Loyalty to your school isn't a really difficult concept, from my perspective. I'm just sayin'...

From my perspective, I'm just saying:

Any money I donate to any school goes to Troy.

So........I am not allowed to officially be an Auburn supporter until I complete my degree? I am sure you didn't mean it that way.

My family is a mix of Troy and Auburn fans and those are our two favorite teams. Obviously when Troy and Auburn compete in athletics I am all about Troy and the AU grads in my family root for Auburn. The whole family loves to go to Troy games and we have been since I was working towards my bachelors and masters from Troy State. So I guess it's okay for them to root for Troy even though they are not Troy grads but if the Troy grads root for Auburn, that is somehow a problem?

Bubba the Trojan
10-13-2012, 06:44 PM
I am a TROJAN, through and through, a long time season ticket holder and the only school to receive my money is TROY. I am also a college football fan and as such have teams I like and teams I don't. If FSU is playing, I'm likely to pull for them. If AU is playing, I'll probably pull against them or be indifferent. If USC or Notre Dame is on the field, I want to see them stomped into a mud puddle.

Some of my fondest childhood memories involve me and my now deceased father watching Alabama football. Those are memories that I, by choice, refuse to dishonor by saying I can't wish Alabama well in a football game. Does that make me a bad TROY fan? I sure hope not, but if it does, so be it. As I stated, TROY receives all my support from a financial standpoint, but believe me, it is possible for me to do that and be a fan of another team. Football isn't the most important thing in my life.

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 06:48 PM
But we don't really compete with AL and AU. Not in the present, at least, because we play at completely different levels. I do think you should support your school, just not necessarily in sports.

Division 1A, aka FBS. We do compete. I believe that if you support a SCHOOL other than the SCHOOL you went to, you devalue and insult your SCHOOL. If you went to multiple schools or no school at all, then do what feels right.

These two in state schools go out of their way to schedule other Sun Belt teams and even challenge themselves with FCS opponents. Troy could use some of that exposure and money.

Any mention of the other in state schools (clothes, tags, stickers, flags, etc) in my town is disgraceful. Any mentions on my campus is unforgivable.

TrojanEmpire
10-13-2012, 07:07 PM
I believe that if you support a SCHOOL other than the SCHOOL you went to, you devalue and insult your SCHOOL. So if my kid goes to any other school other than Troy and I support his or her school then I have somehow devalued my TSU degrees? Care to explain that?

Any mention of the other in state schools (clothes, tags, stickers, flags, etc) in my town is disgraceful. Any mentions on my campus is unforgivable.
Dial it down a notch. That is not the way to win hearts and minds. I don't care what the wear to various events. If they buy tickets to. Troy sporting event they can wear whatever they want.

I assume you a relatively young man and I appreciate your enthusiasm, but that attitude is not going to get even casual fans to spend money on Troy when they can go to a game somewhere else and not get hassled about what is written on their shirts or hats.

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 07:19 PM
So if my kid goes to any other school other than Troy and I support his or her school then I have somehow devalued my TSU degrees? Care to explain that?
If you are more worried about an athletic program other than Troy you are saying Troy isn't as important.

Dial it down a notch. That is not the way to win hearts and minds. I don't care what the wear to various events. If they buy tickets to. Troy sporting event they can wear whatever they want.

I assume you a relatively young man and I appreciate your enthusiasm, but that attitude is not going to get even casual fans to spend money on Troy when they can go to a game somewhere else and not get hassled about what is written on their shirts or hats.
Sorry, nanny, i will not be toning down.

You want a less passionate, more lethargic fan base? :rolleyes:Yeah let's see how that works out. Troy will not grow with part time fans.

Let's just all sit around and talk about how great Tuscaloosa and Lee County are. How dare I? On a Trojan message board of all places.

Hemi Man
10-13-2012, 07:20 PM
So if my kid goes to any other school other than Troy and I support his or her school then I have somehow devalued my TSU degrees? Care to explain that?

You can expect to get ragged at any school you go to if you are wearing another teams apparel.

TrojanEmpire
10-13-2012, 08:15 PM
If you are more worried about an athletic program other than Troy you are saying Troy isn't as important. Really? How do you figure that? Where did I say I was more worried about another athletic dept? I work with a guy who was on the 87 D2 Championship team who wears his championship ring every day. He wears an Auburn lanyard with his ID. You mean to tell me he cares more about Auburn than Troy. Uhhhhhhhhh.........no. Don't generalize so much.

Sorry, nanny, i will not be toning down. Namecalling? What is this? 7th grade?

You want a less passionate, more lethargic fan base? :rolleyes:Yeah let's see how that works out. Troy will not grow with part time fans. So you want to run off people who would support Troy with their money because they don't wear the "right" colors. That sure as heck ain't growing the fan base either. You tend to win more people to your cause by reasoning with them, not jumping up and down and being disrespectful to people at the game wearing the "wrong" colors. Their money is just as green as anybody else.

Let's just all sit around and talk about how great Tuscaloosa and Lee County are. How dare I? On a Trojan message board of all places. Who is doing that? I don't see anybody doing that in this thread. Seems to me you are reading too much into these posts.

goe1975
10-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah because telling people who to root for is gonna change the way they were raised. Good luck with that. If Troy would win some big games and win consistently, we would not have to worry about having plenty of loyal fans. Win, and they will follow. People like winners. Go figure.

TrojanEmpire
10-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah because telling people who to root for is gonna change the way they were raised. Good luck with that. If Troy would win some big games and win consistently, we would not have to worry about having plenty of loyal fans. Win, and they will follow. People like winners. Go figure.
Right on Chet!

Troy will always come first for all of us on here. You want to be the next Boise and get more fans? Win 10+ games a year consistently and the fan base will grow by leaps and bounds.

goe1975
10-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Right on Chet!

Troy will always come first for all of us on here. You want to be the next Boise and get more fans? Win 10+ games a year consistently and the fan base will grow by leaps and bounds.

"He pukes...you die."

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Really? How do you figure that? Where did I say I was more worried about another athletic dept? I work with a guy who was on the 87 D2 Championship team who wears his championship ring every day. He wears an Auburn lanyard with his ID. You mean to tell me he cares more about Auburn than Troy. Uhhhhhhhhh.........no. Don't generalize so much.

How do I figure? My statement was "If you are more worried about an athletic program other than Troy you are saying Troy isn't as important." I didn't realize that needed explanation. (If A>B, then B<A)

So someone gets an education and wins a national championship with Troy, but choses to represent and promote another school? I don't know enough about the person or his ties to the other school to even comment on that one.

So you want to run off people who would support Troy with their money because they don't wear the "right" colors. That sure as heck ain't growing the fan base either. You tend to win more people to your cause by reasoning with them, not jumping up and down and being disrespectful to people at the game wearing the "wrong" colors. Their money is just as green as anybody else.

If that's directed at me instead of a general statement it's misguided. I find it disgraceful to see more than two teams represented inside our stadium, but I've never jumped on anyone or been disrespectful to them because of it. I'm sure as hell not going to share my boiled peanuts with them, but I won't throw the hulls at them either.

I guess the day has come when a Trojan fan has to defend being a Trojan fan on a Trojan message board. I make no apologies for not being a part timer. Fair weather fans will happen with any program, but we can't cater to them.

goe1975
10-13-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm sure as hell not going to share my boiled peanuts with them...

Pshyeah! I ain't even sharing boiled peanuts with my wife! "GET YOUR OWN WOMAN!"

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 08:54 PM
"GET YOUR OWN WOMAN! And bring me another bag while you're up."

Fixt.

TUTrojan
10-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Amen, shameful and unforgiveable.

I have fraternity brothers who still do this. They wear Bama or Barn gear and are always the ones on facebook saying RTR or WDE. I got in a big argument with one just the other day about it. Hardheaded turd-muncher.

:censored: me off.

Dude, it's sad, but we have former players and family of coaches that are also included with that group...

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Dude, it's sad, but we have former players and family of coaches that are also included with that group...

... and some in THIS VERY THREAD!

Bubba the Trojan
10-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Here is something else to consider. I am 51 years old. When I was a young lad of 5-12 years of age my family lacked the disposable income to travel every weekend to a football game. Dad worked hard for a living and that was all there was. I was a senior in high school before he took me to my first college game. There was no ESPN, there was one, if we were lucky, 2 games on TV on Saturday afternoons and good ole Troy State wasn't one of them. These were the glory years of the great Sim Byrd, the years of our first national championship and until I became a TROY fan in '95, I had heard of neither of these.

Fast forward to Thursday night. The crowd of 16000+ included many kids age 14 and younger decked out in TROY gear. I have seen kids seated around me grow up at VMS and I can promise you, there is no split allegiance there. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither will the TROJAN empire be. Let's all be patient and know that there will come a day when the fans of this young (10 years in FBS) program will have grown up as TROJANS and our fan base will consist of those whose allegiance is to TROY & TROY alone.

Chrono124
10-13-2012, 08:58 PM
F Auburn, F Alabama, and F everyone who doesn't agree, Go Troy!!!!

GoTroyGo1
10-13-2012, 09:00 PM
You can expect to get ragged at any school you go to if you are wearing another teams apparel.

Agreed. I just can't stand the attitude of some of our alumni. They act like the Tide or Tigers are the only game in town, that Troy is just too small to care about. I guarantee there were many of them at Auburn and even in Missouri for this weekend's games and will even go to whatever bowl Alabama goes to and not ours if we get selected. The only other college I'm even remotely interested in is Emory and Henry (Va) a D-III school I grew up watching as my father is an alum. At least cut out the wearing of apparel on campus, even saw a few with Tide gear on at the S. Alabama game. We have more to be proud of anyway. Troy does more with much less. :thumb:

goe1975
10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Fixt.

YEAH!!!! WHAT HE SAID!!!! *...hope my old lady doesn't read this."

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Custom New Era Hats, Fitted Hats, New Era Caps and Fitteds. 59fifty limited custom NFL, NBA, College, Minor League, NHL, MLB Hats, Fitteds and Snapbacks New Era Hats authorized dealer.

Strong first post, bro.

TrojanEmpire
10-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Strong first post, bro.

That's pretty funny.

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Agreed. I just can't stand the attitude of some of our alumni. They act like the Tide or Tigers are the only game in town, that Troy is just too small to care about. I guarantee there were many of them at Auburn and even in Missouri for this weekend's games and will even go to whatever bowl Alabama goes to and not ours if we get selected. The only other college I'm even remotely interested in is Emory and Henry (Va) a D-III school I grew up watching as my father is an alum. At least cut out the wearing of apparel on campus, even saw a few with Tide gear on at the S. Alabama game. We have more to be proud of anyway. Troy does more with much less. :thumb:

I like how you put this. It's much less angry and militant than what I do. :wave:

TrojanEmpire
10-13-2012, 09:13 PM

Maybe the athletic dept. could sponsor a t- shirt night in which fans in other colors are given a Troy shirt and encouraged (politely) to wear it over their other shirt during the course of the game.

trojanbrutha
10-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Custom New Era Hats, Fitted Hats, New Era Caps and Fitteds. 59fifty limited custom NFL, NBA, College, Minor League, NHL, MLB Hats, Fitteds and Snapbacks New Era Hats authorized dealer.

You'll get no rep from me, good sir. :devil22:

trojanchad
10-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Maybe the athletic dept. could sponsor a t- shirt night in which fans in other colors are given a Troy shirt and encouraged (politely) to wear it over their other shirt during the course of the game.

Along those lines, maybe there could be a clothing drive for incoming freshmen to donate any "outside" merch that made it through in exchange for some Trojan wear.

I would say bonfire, but ship it off to some Goodwill far away (putting it in the Troy Goodwill won't exactly solve any problems) since burning clothes is just really wasteful.

TrojanEmpire
10-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Along those lines, maybe there could be a clothing drive for incoming freshmen to donate any "outside" merch that made it through in exchange for some Trojan wear.

I would say bonfire, but ship it off to some Goodwill far away (putting it in the Troy Goodwill won't exactly solve any problems) since burning clothes is just really wasteful.

That seems like a good idea

Doug4Troy
10-13-2012, 11:34 PM

We should give free shirts to fans who refuse to buy their own Troy gear?

TrojanFanatic
10-14-2012, 12:30 AM
I still say that we need a "forgiveness" night. Turn you bama/barn/other schools gear in a pile for donation, and then they get Troy gear for it. 2 shirts for a GOOD Troy shirt, two caps for a cap, etc.

JPSousa1898
10-14-2012, 01:47 AM
I can totally understand split allegiances seeing how I got my Masters from another university, and I can understand families of current students holding allegiance to their universities. Truthfully, I can even understand the casual fans. My only concern is when our alumni chose to not show ANY support. I got my MA from Jax State of all places and I still am not going to give them the satisfaction of saying that they're better than us, but I am a member of the JSU national alumni association and I do give back as I can to them (secondly only to what I give to Troy). However, I give more money to Troy and promote them more than Jax State. Troy is closer to my heart. I wish I could get our alumni to the same place where they love their Alma Mater and at least give it some partiality over their other loves.

TrojanEmpire
10-14-2012, 08:47 AM
We should give free shirts to fans who refuse to buy their own Troy gear?

More of a forgiveness night for incoming freshmen. Chad suggested donating the turned in shirts to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Local businesses could help sponsor it. It could become a tradition at new student orientation. Gotta do something outside the box to get more students actively involved. Maybe the new AD has something in mind.

Burn the Horse
10-14-2012, 06:03 PM
When I was still at Troy they had events where you could turn in your Auburn or Alabama gear for brand new Troy stuff. So, that's not really a new idea. It was done by the SGA.

trojanchad
10-14-2012, 06:39 PM
When I was still at Troy they had events where you could turn in your Auburn or Alabama gear for brand new Troy stuff. So, that's not really a new idea. It was done by the SGA.

I had no idea. I'm sure most people didn't. How did that work out? Any idea if it still happens?

TrojanFanatic
10-14-2012, 07:52 PM
I had no idea. I'm sure most people didn't. How did that work out? Any idea if it still happens?

If it happens, current students don't know about it and it isn't advertised, well at least.