PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Schedule, Alabama State 1st Home Game

TroyTrojanMan
10-18-2005, 02:32 AM
roy will ‘black out' Thursday game in honor of Al Lucas

By Ken Rogers, The Messenger

Several Troy University football players are eager to wear black helmets and black jerseys for Thursday night's game against Florida International.

But they're more excited about why they're making the wardrobe change.

The Trojans will wear black in honor of late Troy all-American Al Lucas. The jerseys are the same style Lucas wore in his senior season at Troy in 1999. That year, Lucas won the Buck Buchanan Award, given to the best defensive player in Division I-AA football.

Lucas died after suffering injuries in an Arena Football League game on April 10, 2005.

As tremendous as he was on the field, his impact was felt not just on football Saturdays.

"I told our players that if there's a player they all wanted to be like, it was Al Lucas," head coach Larry Blakeney said Monday.

"After his freshman year when figured out what was going on around here, he wouldn't let us have a bad practice. He played hard every day and demanded his teammates do the same. He was a force in our program."

Many of those teammates will be helping honor Lucas Thursday night. The jerseys are being sold with all proceeds going toward the Al Lucas Endowment for Student-Athlete Excellence. Jersey numbers are being reserved quickly and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Some former Trojans have pledged as much as $1,000 to purchase their jersey number and help the endowment.

Contact Wes Allen in the Troy Athletics Department for purchasing one of the jerseys. Minimum price is $125.

The University is encouraging all fans to wear black to the game. "Blackout" T-shirts are being sold this week.

The players are eager to wear black, but they'd probably wear pink so long as they are allowed to play at home.

The Trojans are coming off a four-game road trip - "I don't recommend it," Blakeney said - and will play at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium for the first time since Sept. 10.

The 2006 schedule - which was completed Monday - has a similar four-game road trip.

Alabama State will open the season in Troy on Sept. 2 next season - when the Trojans and other teams are permitted to play 12 games in the regular season.

What follows is a four-game swing that would challenge anyone. At Florida State, at Georgia Tech, at Nebraska and at UAB. That is a prelude to a home game for the start of Sun Belt Conference play against North Texas next Oct. 7.

Here is the 2006 Troy football schedule, home game in all caps:

Sept. 2 ALABAMA STATE

Sept. 9 at Florida State

Sept. 16 at Georgia Tech

Sept. 23 at Nebraska

Sept. 30 at UAB

Oct. 7 NORTH TEXAS

Oct. 14 at Fla. International

Oct. 21 LA.-MONROE

Oct. 28 OPEN

Nov. 4 LA.-LaFAYETTE

Nov. 11 at Fla. Atlantic

Nov. 18 ARKANSAS STATE

Nov. 25 at Middle Tennessee

troy4ever
10-18-2005, 06:49 AM
Well, I see we managed to schedule UAB after all!

TrojanFan2
10-18-2005, 07:56 AM
still only five home games ---- yuck! I was hoping for six with a 12 game schedule.

kiwan
10-18-2005, 08:08 AM
I have never been so happy to see 5 home games. I thought for sure we were going all money games next year with 4 home games!

TrojanFan2
10-18-2005, 08:17 AM
If we are going to start with a D 1AA school, I'd rather see Jax State or Ga Southern or even Cal Poly again.

tsu59
10-18-2005, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't change just yet - maybe the only game we have a chance at winning :?

troy4ever
10-18-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm fine with Bama State as a home opener. It should bring in a nice size crowd to the game because Bama State fans will certainly travel to Troy for this one.

tsufl
10-18-2005, 08:32 AM
If we are going to start with a D 1AA school, I'd rather see Jax State or Ga Southern or even Cal Poly again.
Yes, as would I. But ASU will be a better draw than Ga. South, or JSU and way better than Poly. Give the choice I would love to whip JSU a few more times but I dont think they are intrested in playing us ever again.

kiwan
10-18-2005, 08:34 AM
It may be our first ever sell out.

Navarre Trojan
10-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Cal Poly again! That would be crazy. NOt that I am against Cal Poly, they are a great team. They brout 14 people to the game! (Well maybe 50 or 60), IF we are going to play Division 1-AA, let's play somebody from our backyard so the house will rock and be packed on game day.

Go Trojans

bulldogtrojan
10-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Let's just hope they don't decide to put more than 1 of our home games on a Tues. or some other obscure night for football. Personally, I'm ready for a year of all Sat. games. This season has felt disjointed with all the off Saturdays. I bet the players have felt it, too. There's no rhythm to the season. I'm all for TV exposure, but ESPN big time should be the only reason we move a game ever again.

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Now that is more like it...

I have posted several times that is we are going to play money games like GT, FSU, and Nebraska then we should have some money games at home ourselves. I think Alabama State is a good choice. When I was at TSU we always drew sellout crowds when the Hornets came to town. A lot of Bama State fans came down to support their team and the atmosphere was great. I am looking forward to playing them again. With all the money we get for playing the "designated beatings" games, then we should schedule 1 or 2 for ourselves.

BMarkey
10-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Bama State is a horrible choice. No upside, no excitement, no interest outside of the MGM area, ASU is not even a good I-AA team, no UCF or USF on the schedule, nor any mid-major team coming to Troy.

It's very disappointing.

Troy needs to schedule a home opponent people want to come and see. Outside of the MGM and Wiregrass areas, no one has heard of ASU.

And, come on! Troy has to go to South Florida twice? I thought the Sunbelt was going to fix its scheduling problem after this year. This way, Troy will be traveling twice to Florida and La. every other year!

It's great for me. I get to see Troy twice, both times within an hour and a half of my house. Hopefully, the Sound will come to one of those games. I could get them set up to entertain at a major high school football game and do some great recruiting.

That said, split it up, you SunBelt planning failures.

Nice Trojan
10-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I like the way the schedule is set up. I would rather play ASU and get some kinks worke dout. Kind of like a preseason game. Lord knows we needed that game against Cal Poly this year. I would like a win under our belt before we go to Tallahassee and Atlanta and Lincoln.

Speaking of Tallahassee, get your tickets early, I plan on getting a bunch. Thats as close as Troy and my wifes whole family and most of my friends are FSU fans.

Troy87
10-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Nice Trojan,

I was going to post the exact same thing. ASU as a "pre-season" game is exactly what we need. The fans see the first game of the season at home and it should be a win. Hopefully, ASU will bring a tremendous crowd like they did last time. I think the last game against ASU is still listed in the top-5 of home crowds, and that's when we still had a 17,000 seat stadium. Attendance at that game was 21,000+.

I was a little surprised though, because at that last game, the ASU band played to visitor's side of the stadium for their entire halftime show. I heard a lot of people were offended and I also had heard there was no way they would ever be invited back because of it.

I still like the opponent though.

ksdtrojan
10-18-2005, 01:56 PM
I agree that Ala.St. is good choice for next season but in the future we need to schedule higher level D1-AA and mid-majors for home games. We must up the talent level invited to play at The Gallery in order for more publicity.

Nice Trojan
10-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Everyone loves more publicity, but we already have a tough enough schedule next season. We need this ASU game. As much as I would love to play JSU or Georgia So., ASU would be right up there as far as D-1AA teams to play. At least they will bring some fans to fill our stadium. Cal Poly was to far to drag fans from California.

TSU-Baggs
10-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Bob, nice touch with how you ended your last post. Why don't you tell us how you really feel? :lol:

BMarkey
10-18-2005, 04:04 PM
The SunBelt conference has made comments about this year's strange scheduling being a victim of newcomers and previously scheduled bigtime games.

They had a year to fix it and now they still have us (and probably others) traveling to the same regions twice. It makes NO SENSE.

Trojan2003
10-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Montgomery Advertiser.com
October 18, 2005

Alabama State still recovering from Prairie View A&M scare

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

...[To Troy: ASU likely will start next season with a game at Troy.

Troy athletic director Steve Dennis said a contract, which set up a game between the two schools on Sept. 2, 2006, was sent from his office to ASU last week.

The only step left is for ASU officials to sign the contract and send it back.

"They're a fine program and it should be a good game for fans in both communities," Dennis said. "They're extremely talented and we're excited about the opportunity. They're up the road. We're down the road. It's good logistically for our universities and our fans."

Dennis said he's been waiting to hear back from ASU athletic director Patrick Carter but has been unable to reach him.

Several attempts by the Montgomery Advertiser to reach Carter on Monday were also unsuccessful.

Coe said Monday that he had been kept out of the loop on the game.

"(Troy head coach Larry Blakeney) called me a while back about it and I said I didn't have a problem with the game," Coe said. "That's really the last I heard about it until recently, when someone mentioned to me that we would likely be playing them next season. I don't have any specifics. I just know it's likely to happen."

Whether this game will evolve into annual meetings between the two schools is unclear.

"I'd have no problem doing something (every year)," Dennis said. "We have scheduling issues and I know they have scheduling issues, so it's hard to say. We're just happy to be doing something next year."]

BMarkey
10-18-2005, 04:13 PM
We're going backwards, Steve! Especially if you're planning to do this every year.

And you're "excited"?

What a waste.

He needs to think UCF, USF, USM, La. Tech, Texas Tech, Memphis, Miami (either one), Marshall, Va. Tech., Clemson, Ga. Tech, East Carolina, UConn, etc.

Think big, not I-AA. That's the past.

tsu59
10-18-2005, 06:39 PM
I agree Bob - especially about UCF - we were beginning to get a good show from central FL in Troy before we moved to D-1A and still had a 17000 seat stadium.

tsufl
10-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, adding UCF and the likes may not have been feesable for next season. Being the opening game of the year most teams are going to want to sign a "money" game so UCF may be in negotioations with a big school for thier opener.

Would I like to play UCF in the near future? YES, but with the 12th game just being allowed it may take a couple of season for us to get dates that coincide.

Lord-Mustang
10-18-2005, 07:38 PM
I have to agree with Bob on this one. ASU is not such a good decision. Everyone should remember how the opener for this season was accepted when it was announced, and now we are saying a worse team is "Better"? Why not East Carolina, Vandy, Southern Miss, or even Northen Illinois? Of course, once we beat FSU and GA Tech...we shouldn't have a problem getting more noticable teams to play.

tsufl
10-18-2005, 07:50 PM
He needs to think UCF, USF, USM, La. Tech, Texas Tech, Memphis, Miami (either one), Marshall, Va. Tech., Clemson, Ga. Tech, East Carolina, UConn, etc.

I dont think many of those guys are going to come to Troy. And if we go to their place everyone will cry about not having a home game. So its a no win situation here.

UCF: may come to us but wed have to make a return trip. Of all the teams listed they would be the most likely to play.

USF: another good chance but for some reason I doubt they would venture to Troy.

USM: WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN TROY... EVER. (anyone, anytime... blah blah blah its all a load of crap)

La Tech: Dont count on it

Texas Tech: To busy lighting up Nebraska to worry about us

Memphis: a battle of former "states" would be good but I dont think it would be much of a draw

Miami Redhawks: nope not after we beat the stumbling Turd

Miami Hurricanes: the scare in 2001 was enough for them

Marshall: dont think they will be playing in Troy for a while

Va. Tech: yeah right

of the rest UConn would be the only team to come to Troy. and why in the hell would we want ot play them?

Clemsons AD once offered to play us (at Clemson) but Tommy Bowden rejected the idea, so until he is gone forget it. after we beat Ga. Tech next season they wont have anything to do with us.

Scoots71
10-18-2005, 08:02 PM
This is good because Bama State is a legitimate 1 AA team that I believe has the capability to make a move to 1 A. It will be a good draw, because Bama State usually draws well for a 1 AA team. We better get a lot better though or it might be too good of a game.

ThePowerMan
10-18-2005, 08:59 PM
I still would like to see "the Herd" on our schedule. It is a nice rivalry game. If not every year we could atleast try it maybe every 2 or 3 years.

I was at Troy in 1992 or 93 when Bama St came to town. We were both clearly top teams in I-AA and it was a GREAT game. We got there about 1 hour before the game and had to sit on the "hill". They even brought in portable bleachers and they were capacity. I think that game will be a good opener for us.

Nice Trojan
10-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Ok, I am all for an ASU game NEXT year. But as far as "an annual thing", I don't think so. I do not donate money and buy seats to see us play the likes of ASU annually. I do those things so we have to play them maybe once a decade to ease our schedule. I would like to see us get a USF, UCF, USM, Memphis, La Tech, or even Louisville in MGS. But most of those teams are not ever coming to Troy. I don't see why USF would never come play us. Are they too good now that they are a BCS school. How pathetic is that, USF, a BCS school. I am happy with a home game and more important I am happy that next July I will not be wondering who we are playing and when our schedule will be finalized. Now I know 90% of you agree with me on that point.

ksdtrojan
10-19-2005, 07:55 AM
The problem with other mid-majors (I hate that term!!!) is they all want to do the same thing; schedule other mid-majors to come to their place. It is funny all of the mid-majors including Troy want to schedule the big schools (like Mizzou) to play them at home but the problem is it rarely happens. The reasons they give are the same reasons they give for not wanting a playoff system in D-1A football. They do not want the smaller schools to get a chance to grow. It is all a game. Just like life the rich get richer and the poor well you know they get crapped on by the richer. And if a mid-major ever beats a BCS conference team in the smaller schools stadium then no other BCS team wants to play there. That's just the way it is. Until college football changes don't expect much more.

BMarkey
10-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Other schools are doing it - from FAU to Marshall to Middle Tennessee - getting major and mid-majors to come to their places.

FAU got Oklahoma State to come this year!

All the mid-majors need home games. So they all know they need to do one-for-ones.

We need someone at Troy to sell these games and not blow smoke up our butts with comments about being "excited" about playing a low-rent I-AA team from 50 miles away. What a croc.

TrojanWar
10-19-2005, 08:23 AM
of the rest UConn would be the only team to come to Troy. and why in the hell would we want ot play them?

Because UConn is a BCS school.

Navarre Trojan
10-19-2005, 08:27 AM
wouldn't you agree that Missouri is on the same level as Oklahoma State? Also, they didn't play at FAU, did they? I thought that game was at Joe Robie, where the folks from Oklahoma State could come and see what Miami was like, because they damn sure won't be there in January for the Orange Bowl.

I personally like the scheduling of Alabama State. We will pack the house, they will bring fans and the atmosphere will be awesome. I promise it will be better than when Auburn played the Citadel! or Western Kentucky (number 1 in D-1AA). This is good for our program, not bad. WE ARE GOING ON THE ROAD AGAINST BIG TIME TEAMS, we need to work some kinks out before we go!

Don't we have to look out for the program from every aspect? Not just what the "fans want to see?" I would love to have 8 home games and they all be UCF, South FL, So. Miss, Tulane, USC, FSU, Texas, Oklahoma, etc., but let's get real, we have a ways to go before we can even ask, much less demand this type of schedule. As for getting other "big names" in the house, we have to win and we have to HOLD SCHOOLS to their contracts, stop with the "buy out" clauses.

With 12 game schedules and the inclusion of D-1AA and it doesn't count against you every year, as I have said in the past, this is going to be difficult for schools like ours, not easier. Bigger programs don't have to "rape" the mid-majors anymore, they can rape the D-1AAs and pay them less money for a home "beat down" without EVER having to discuss going to Montgomery!

I am disappointed that we don't have 6 home games! However, that should hold ticket prices down! I am also upset with the Sun Belt and their tactics. As we have discussed before, traveling twice to the same area is ridiculous. I asked Commissioner Waters about this last year and got his "normal" song and dance about how difficult scheduling is, blah, blah, blah. Which I think is BS, it can't be that hard to work out. The conference has to be willing to help everyone out with this.

I think the Athletic Dept Staff is doing the best they can to help build the program with every aspect, players, fans, dollars/cents, etc. We need home games, we need to pack the house, we need to make some money (road games), we need to give fans something back for what they contribute, etc. I think if you look at this schedule, with the exception of Nebraska, YOU won't have to travel as far as most of us to see Troy play. FIU and FAU in your backyard, FSU closer, Ga. Tech (closer and cheaper to fly), UAB (not much further and cheaper to fly), then all the home games (a wash with the rest of us). The only away game that is WAY out of your way is MTSU (with the exception of Nebraska). So, Whatcha *****in about!!!! :D :D :D

Go Trojans -- see you Thursday Night!

kiwan
10-19-2005, 08:46 AM
I said this earlier. ASU is the best choice possible considering our schedule next year. Do I agree with our non-conference schedule, not necessarily. I would love to see us play a big name at home, but given the puzzle was missing one piece ASU is the absolute best choice. They will bring a huge crowd and it will probably be a good game. We have to get to the point soon where we can have some mid majors or BCS schools come to Troy but next year it is obviously not gonna happen.

BMarkey
10-19-2005, 09:21 AM
I think they grabbed ASU (not a done deal yet, BTW) just to get it over with and focus on other issues.

The house might be packed, but not necessarily with more of our fans.

wouldn't you agree that Missouri is on the same level as Oklahoma State? Also, they didn't play at FAU, did they? I thought that game was at Joe Robie, where the folks from Oklahoma State could come and see what Miami was like, because they damn sure won't be there in January for the Orange Bowl.

It was an FAU home game in all respects, played where FAU plays one or more of its games every year, about 45 minutes south of the campus. The game could have been played at Lockhardt instead of Joe Robbie/Dolphins Stadium (not really even near Miami), considering the relatively small crowd that came out. Only a few hundred to maybe 500 OSU fans showed up.

Missou is sort of on the same level (to me).

With 12 game schedules and the inclusion of D-1AA and it doesn't count against you every year, as I have said in the past, this is going to be difficult for schools like ours, not easier. Bigger programs don't have to "rape" the mid-majors anymore, they can rape the D-1AAs and pay them less money for a home "beat down" without EVER having to discuss going to Montgomery!

It should be easier because lots of mid-majors are in the same boat as us - needing OOC home games. They need to rely on each other.

Next year's schedule is good for me, granted. I can probably make most of the away games more easily than the home games (and plan to try and host some things down here for the two South Florida games). But it's not so good for Troy people.

TrojanWar
10-19-2005, 09:48 AM
(and plan to try and host some things down here for the two South Florida games). But it's not so good for Troy people.

How about you plan us a fishing trip. That would certainly make it worth the drive down.

BMarkey
10-19-2005, 09:52 AM
You are ALL welcome on my 19-foot center console boat!

... Or we can get on a big party boat. The water is so clear that you can see the bottom from 40-60 feet up.

That is, if my boat is even here after Saturday, with Wilma on its way ... Ugh.

Maybe I won't be around to post much more after this storm. :)

http://www.skeetobiteweather.com/archive/forecast/AL242005ltsz.gif

Look at the black dot just to the left of "Palm Beach Gardens". One click left of that is my house. Ouch.

They are telling us to expect Cat-3 winds all the way over here near the southeast coast.

[/img]

TrojanWar
10-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Whatever you have to do, stay out of that storm's path. I figured by mid-October all the really bad stuff would be over with, and then we get a record setting storm. You got a place in South Alabama if you need it.

As far as fishing, how about we try to get enough people to charter something like a 40' or bigger sportfisherman. I worked on some years ago out of Panama City. That is for sure the way to go if we get 8 or 10 people wanting to go. What would be more fun than a bunch of Troy fans fishing offshore. I'm game for your center console if not many people are interested. Damn, now I'm excited about next years schedule. It will be a long off-season.

FRED_of_TROY
10-19-2005, 10:38 AM
If this were a normal Hurricane season, War, you would be right. I'm not gonna get comfortable until about Thanksgiving this year.

BMarkey, are there any big trees left around your house? Are you prone to flooding? If you answered yes, then LEAVE!! If not, stay and take cool pictures! Just kidding. Do whatever you feel safe doing.

Rah1919
10-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Fred, why is it that everytime you post, it seems like you're yelling?

CattouseFan
10-19-2005, 11:01 AM
He is just one of those loud typers you hear about.
:lol:

Trojan2003
10-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Bigger programs don't have to "rape" the mid-majors anymore, they can rape the D-1AAs and pay them less money for a home "beat down" without EVER having to discuss going to Montgomery!

Actually, they do. Auburn paid The Citadel $600,000 in 2004.

http://www.athleticsearch.com/footballguaranteeslist.htm

BMarkey
10-19-2005, 11:05 AM
My big trees went crashing down during last year's two hurricanes. I don't flood here (at least not since Irene ... close call ... in 1999). My house is wood frame and has not really been fixed since Jeanne. I figure it's good to 100 mph.

I have cats and dogs, so there is no place to go. We'll just have to hang in there and be ready to run with animals in cages if necessary.

We'll see.

There are lots of charter fishing possibilities here, but many of the boats (even the big ones) take only six people due to CG regs. The drift boats, of course, take dozens if not 100 or so.

If only a few want to go, a friend and I could just use our boats. There's a little (Peanut) island here where the weekend boat/party/picnic scene would even have those of you who went ga-ga over the cheerelader pics blushing. Think Lake Havasou (sp?) on the Gulfstream - but with crystal green water, snorkeling (rays and big fish swim right through your legs within feet of the beach/sandbar), camping, water sports, etc. at the mouth the inlet.

I would be happy to set something up. Maybe Troy officials could help out in planning/promoting.

There's so much to do at that time of year, including the Marlins, Dolphins, Panthers, Seminole Hard Rock Casino, beach/boating, golf, partying at CityPlace (Downtown West Palm) and La Olas and other areas in Fort Lauderdale, South (Miami) Beach - you name it.

'Could be much fun.

http://www.firstboat.schoolreference.com/peanut_island_camping_photos.html

FRED_of_TROY
10-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Fred, why is it that everytime you post, it seems like you're yelling?

Actually, I was jokingly yelling at him that time. But you know me. I'm just loud anyway.

TSUWhiner
10-19-2005, 11:17 AM
TURah9er..why do you keep insisting that you cool?

TrojanWar
10-19-2005, 11:32 AM
He is just one of those loud typers you hear about.
:lol:

He is not a "he" at all.

TrojanWar
10-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Sounds great Bob! I like the island idea. I may plan my vacation for next year around this trip. We should start planning something once football season is over with.

TrojanFan2
10-19-2005, 12:53 PM
I'll buy the gas! or the bait or the beer! Just get over some fish

BMarkey
10-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Keep in touch with me and I'll get you set up with places to stay and lots of fun.

Tums
10-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Good idea BM. I have been planning on staying on Hutchinson island (Fort Pierce Inlet) for fishing and the Florida Atlantic game next year.

BTW Here is the link to where I stay at there. http://www.docksideinn.com/

Rah1919
10-19-2005, 03:57 PM

First off son, I was joking with an old friend of mine. And would you mind explaining to me how you figure I think I'm cool just by reading my posts?

FRED_of_TROY
10-19-2005, 04:07 PM
It's ok Rah. I knew you were joking. And you are very cool in my book!

BMarkey
10-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Fort Pierce is nice for fishing, but there's not much to do up there otherwise.

And it;s a long haul to FAU/FIU and the games.

Staying in the Palm Beaches (hour south of Fort Pierce) would be the better way to go.

Also, down here, you can get out deep only a mile or two offshore, compared ot miles and miles out, up there. I caught a big marlin almost within swimming distance of the Boynton Inlet one morning looking for dolphin.

TUEngineer
10-19-2005, 10:14 PM

First off son, I was joking with an old friend of mine. And would you mind explaining to me how you figure I think I'm cool just by reading my posts?

Whiner isn't too bright to begin with, he thinks he's God's gift to band nerds.