PDA

View Full Version : Troy vs UNT grade

Troy87
09-23-2012, 09:41 AM
My grading of Troy after last night's game

Offense - D - They had two sustained drives, but really nothing else. The first 8 possessions they gained 89 total yards and had 4 first downs. Their 9th and final possession of the first half was the drive from our own 10 yard line and made the half respectable. The second half was a little better but not by much. Again, many dropped passes, inconsistent and illogical use of the QBs in situations when they shouldn't have been.

Defense - B+ - The defense gave up a couple big pass plays, but the run defense was pretty good. I do think the goal of the defense for this game was to keep everything in front of them, which they did on most every play. Trawick led the defense with 15 tackles....he will be playing on Sundays. He leads the team this season too, with a total of 50 tackles through 4 games. Saw a little better pressure on the QB in the 2nd half, making him throw early and high.

Special Teams - B+ - Kickoffs were good, plus we had the onside kick to start the 2nd half, so kudos for the surprise there. Punting was inconsistent, but largely because there were so many opportunities, and there was one where Will could have easily gained the first down if he had seen the wide open green from the start. FG, only one attempt, and it was from a long distance. It would have been long enough, but it was just a bit wide right. Returns....there were only 2 KO returns and both were touchbacks. Their punt coverage was pretty good, so we didn't have much going there.

Coaching - C - Good things - If the goal for the Defense was to keep everything infront of them, they accomplished that and only gave up 7 points to a team that scored 14 on LSU and 21 on Kansas St. (who beat Oklahoma last night). Clock management at the end of the game was the best we've had in years. We did exactly what you should do to burn clock in the last few minutes of the game.

Bad things - Once again, play calling was waaaaay too predictable for the offense. And again we put Deon in on a 3rd and 9 when Corey should have been in, and on two 3rd and short yardage situations we had Corey in, and ran the handoff to Shawn.

Overall - C+ - If a "C" is average, we were just barely above average last night. Our offense didn't have an identity last night, and didn't do anything positive for a long time.

Turnovers were down, but we still had a (-1) in turnover margin. Penalties were way down, and I'm not sure if we really were that much improved or if the aggression just wasn't there for the game last night. The late penalty on the offense for unsportsmanlike conduct was unnecessary, but really showed the only fire of the night on that side of the ball.

We may have lost another OL, granted Chris Hawkins was not a starter, but he rotates regularly at the RT position, and is one of the top 7 or 8 linemen we started the season with. If he's gone for the season, we're down to the bare bones for experienced OL.....again. Maybe Chris comes back.

Overall, I have a gut feeling we were peeking ahead to USA, and the rivalry that presents next week, and I hope that's the case, because we need to go to Mobile next week and make a statement. Last night's team didn't look like a team that could make a statement. The one that came back against MSU last week was a team that can make a statement. I hope that's the one that shows up in Mobile Saturday.

TexasTrojan
09-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Offense - D - They had two sustained drives, but really nothing else. The first 8 possessions they gained 89 total yards and had 4 first downs. Their 9th and final possession of the first half was the drive from our own 10 yard line and made the half respectable. The second half was a little better but not by much. Again, many dropped passes, inconsistent and illogical use of the QBs in situations when they shouldn't have been.

Defense - B+ - The defense gave up a couple big pass plays, but the run defense was pretty good. I do think the goal of the defense for this game was to keep everything in front of them, which they did on most every play. Trawick led the defense with 15 tackles....he will be playing on Sundays. He leads the team this season too, with a total of 50 tackles through 4 games. Saw a little better pressure on the QB in the 2nd half, making him throw early and high.

Special Teams - B+ - Kickoffs were good, plus we had the onside kick to start the 2nd half, so kudos for the surprise there. Punting was inconsistent, but largely because there were so many opportunities, and there was one where Will could have easily gained the first down if he had seen the wide open green from the start. FG, only one attempt, and it was from a long distance. It would have been long enough, but it was just a bit wide right. Returns....there were only 2 KO returns and both were touchbacks. Their punt coverage was pretty good, so we didn't have much going there.

Coaching - C - Good things - If the goal for the Defense was to keep everything infront of them, they accomplished that and only gave up 7 points to a team that scored 14 on LSU and 21 on Kansas St. (who beat Oklahoma last night). Clock management at the end of the game was the best we've had in years. We did exactly what you should do to burn clock in the last few minutes of the game.

Bad things - Once again, play calling was waaaaay too predictable for the offense. And again we put Deon in on a 3rd and 9 when Corey should have been in, and on two 3rd and short yardage situations we had Corey in, and ran the handoff to Shawn.

Overall - C+ - If a "C" is average, we were just barely above average last night. Our offense didn't have an identity last night, and didn't do anything positive for a long time.

Turnovers were down, but we still had a (-1) in turnover margin. Penalties were way down, and I'm not sure if we really were that much improved or if the aggression just wasn't there for the game last night. The late penalty on the offense for unsportsmanlike conduct was unnecessary, but really showed the only fire of the night on that side of the ball.

We may have lost another OL, granted Chris Hawkins was not a starter, but he rotates regularly at the RT position, and is one of the top 7 or 8 linemen we started the season with. If he's gone for the season, we're down to the bare bones for experienced OL.....again. Maybe Chris comes back.

Overall, I have a gut feeling we were peeking ahead to USA, and the rivalry that presents next week, and I hope that's the case, because we need to go to Mobile next week and make a statement. Last night's team didn't look like a team that could make a statement. The one that came back against MSU last week was a team that can make a statement. I hope that's the one that shows up in Mobile Saturday.

Only changes I would make is to give defense an A- and special teams an A-.

The officials I would have to give a D- seemed to miss a lot of holding and personal fouls . On both sides ... but #54 from NT on spec teams always seemed to have a late hit or someones facemask

jagd1305
09-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I agree with you Texas Trojan. But it was a relief for a change to see improvement on our penalties and in our special teams play. Now let's see if it can all come together next week in Mobile.

Hemi Man
09-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Its highly doubtful that Hawkins comes back this season. He is probably headed for surgery today.

Troy87
09-23-2012, 11:37 AM
That's not good. That's two OL lost for the season. It's getting thin on that side of the ball again. Some young guys are going to have to step up quick.

trojanbrutha
09-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Its highly doubtful that Hawkins comes back this season. He is probably headed for surgery today.

It sounds similar to the injury that Valcin or Kanorris had (dislocated ankle) minus the broken fibula or was it tibia...?

dgoebel
09-23-2012, 12:42 PM
According to a quote by Kyle Wilburn " It was gruesome and hard to look at" Doesn't sound good. Keep him in our thoughts and prayers and for a speedy recovery. He is going to be a big part of our OL next season.

Hemi Man
09-23-2012, 12:59 PM
It sounds similar to the injury that Valcin or Kanorris had (dislocated ankle) minus the broken fibula or was it tibia...?

Very similar from what I understand.

newnan trojan
09-23-2012, 01:05 PM

I agree with this assessment.

Doug4Troy
09-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Hate that for Chris, hopefully its not a bad as it looked and he will have a speedy recovery.