PDA

View Full Version : Blakeney--opinions

TUrocks
10-15-2005, 05:34 PM
As the games have been going on this year, I've noticed little by little that more posts are being made calling for Blakeneys job. Since we've been in D-1 (including transitional years) I believe our worst record has been 6-6. Am I correct or did I misread that?? I just checked. I am wrong. It was 4-8 our first full season. That's one time under .500 winning percentage.

Anyway, if that's true. I think it might be a little unfair to call for his job. When UAB lost last week everyone was screaming for Watson Brown and Wayne Bolts job. They have won more consistently every year and after one loss, they want those guys fired. I was just kind of thinking, as an outsider looking in, that all of that talk seemed a little bit ridiculous.

Remember, guys. We have been D-1 for a handful of years now. We are not located in an Urban Mecca. We have fared with decent records since being D-1. Have we ever made the ESPN Bottom 10 list??? At least we're not one of those teams that consistently makes that list.

We all knew after the UAB game that this was going to be an experimental season and that we are young. I know you can say....FSU never has a rebuilding year.....but we are not FSU, as much as we all would like to have a successful program that wins 8-10 every year in D-1.

Anyway, in my opinion, it is not time to call for Blakeney's job. We just went to our first bowl game in school history less than twelve months ago. Let the man have a rebuilding year. That isn't to say that I've agreed with all of his decisions this year...heck there has been many this year I haven't agreed with, but I think the man deserves a rebuilding year and if it doesn't get better next year...then we can talk. BTW...I know what the rebuttals are going to be...nothing has been done with our offense in five years....well, that still falls on the OC since that position has yet to be replaced during all of those major problems. Also, we don't win the games we should....my answer to that is did anyone think we should be favored in any game this year. We are young.

Anyway, what do you all think????

kiwan
10-15-2005, 05:39 PM
I absolutely think LB is our guy. I also think LB had major decision's to make concerning our offense. We all new replacing 27 seniors from last year would be tuff!

TrojanWar
10-15-2005, 05:49 PM
LB is not going anywhere.

Trojan2003
10-15-2005, 05:53 PM
You mentioned some interesting points, but we all know that if we want to get to the next stage we better get a "real" D1 head coach with some BCS experience. We need better recruits and LB can't get them and he will not get them in the near future. I am very concerned with our recruiting efforts.

TUrocks
10-15-2005, 05:58 PM
I agree, War.

I think I just kind of get a little upset when I hear the few posters who have started saying it's time for Blakeney to move on...so I wanted to state my opinion on it.

Basically, I think many coaches get let go too soon. (i.e. Frank Solich) Many don't get a chance and the whole "what have you done for me lately" thing is something I resent also...especially when a coach gets canned after one bad season when they've had success for many.

Trojan 2003...I'll give you that about recruiting. Obviously, a five year trend has been set with our offense...and it may be one that cannot change through recruiting with the same coach. There was an ex Troy football player who visited the chat room during a game a few weeks ago (I can't remember his username) but he was adamently saying that we won't get any better recruiting offense because it has become a staple for our offense to be mediocre at best.

The Red Wave
10-15-2005, 06:03 PM
2003, you must put donw the crack pipe. BSC experince. Have you looked at what we pay our coach's. Some of you hilljacks are delusional. you are an embarrasment to Troy. BTW, how much do you donate ? Did you go to San Jose ? How many road games do you go to each yr ? Get over yourself

Trojan2003
10-15-2005, 06:23 PM
2003, you must put donw the crack pipe. BSC experince. Have you looked at what we pay our coach's. Some of you hilljacks are delusional. you are an embarrasment to Troy. BTW, how much do you donate ? Did you go to San Jose ? How many road games do you go to each yr ? Get over yourself
All right, I will calm down. I said "some" BCS experience, of course I know we will not get somebody like Nick Saban. Actually, I think LB is a good coach, but he is a poor recruiter. It has nothing to do with his skills (!), but Troy doesn't have the reputation to get some real good players (Rutgers, USF do get them). That's what I am really concerned about. If you can think of another way to get these guys, then I will gladly change my opinion.
Also, I don't say fire him immediately and get rid of him now. Btw, it has nothing to do with this game. I mentioned this after the UNT game, that's just my opinion.

Currently I can't donate money, because I am still too young and I don't have the extra money yet - but this will hopefully change someday. Also, I am planning to attend a game next year, which means I will have to fly in from Europe, just for one game - so don't say I wasn't committed.

Go Trojans!

tsu59
10-15-2005, 08:39 PM
When we were D-1AA we got some good players transfering from big name football programs for one reason or another - now they have to sit out a year so they are are transfering to other D-1AA schools.

If we do get some good players and have a winning season the coaches are hired away by schools willing to pay more.

This is our 6th year playing in D-1A - we have won 2 games against BCS teams - Miss St and Missouri - neither a powerhouse when we played.

This is D-1A football - championshipe are not decided by play-off - its all about bowls - the bigger the bowl the more money and reconition.
We do have the possibility of playing in a bowl (if we ever win the sun belt) - but it ain't big - and from what I've heard the attendance hardly pays expenses.

Year in and year out we are ranked near the bottom (offensively) - and we play in a conference ranked near the bottom.

These ain't fun times to be a Troy State fan - and I don't think anymore that we even belong in D-1A. :?

Lord-Mustang
10-15-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm just going to put this out there....no way to say it, other than the plain truth. Red Wave? There is NO CALL for posting something like that at a fellow Trojan for posting an opinion. There are MANY things that could be said about LB from both sides that would be true and everyone knows it. My biggest problem with LB right now is his lack of concern and anger from the way our Offense has been lack-luster. There seems to be no team leadership, no enthusiasm, and definately no direction. Oh...and for the record....I DONATE! So don't come back at me with that crap.

TrojanWar
10-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Everyone cool your jets. Let's just start a campaign to have Fleetwood fired and much of our troubles will be at least headed in the right direction. Money is not the problem. We are paying our coaches well for a Sun Belt team. Too much if you consider their performance. For around $75K, we should be able to hire a decent OC. No, we might not be able to get Chow or someone like that, but we can get a good football coach. Let's just start with that. If after a couple years there is no improvement on the offensive side of the ball, then you can start calling for LB's head. Now is not the time to even discuss it.

Trojan2003
10-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Let's just start a campaign to have Fleetwood fired and much of our troubles will be at least headed in the right direction. Money is not the problem. We are paying our coaches well for a Sun Belt team. Too much if you consider their performance. For around $75K, we should be able to hire a decent OC.
I agree, If LB is able to resolve this issue then he deserves more time. Also, I agree with you that money shouldn't be a big problem since our program generated a decent profit last year.

Nice Trojan
10-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Even if we fire Fleetwood, our problems may not be resolved. But at least most of us would be satisfied something was being done. This is why people are calling for LB's job. Because nothing is being done to improve this team. At least nothing that is visible to me. I think LB is a decent coach and he isn't going anywhere. Our powers that be don't even pay attention to our athletic program, so they probably don't have a clue what is happening on the football field. They are to busy opening TU at Antartica.

And by the way, I am also glad the young guys are getting some experience. Because next year, no one will have any of these "lack of experience" excuses. And we should be pretty good. Assuming we can get one of these QB's to step up and take us to that level.

tgrad8384
10-17-2005, 04:07 PM
You mentioned some interesting points, but we all know that if we want to get to the next stage we better get a "real" D1 head coach with some BCS experience. We need better recruits and LB can't get them and he will not get them in the near future. I am very concerned with our recruiting efforts.

What planet are you from? A real D1 Coach with BCS experience. How do you plan to pay him? Come on. LB is the man for the job. Yes, he has some tough decisions to make at the end of (or middle?) this year. We must continue to support this program, and we must never be satisfied with anything but total domination of the pitiful SBC. I said at the beginning of this year that I would be unhappy with anything less than a 9-2 season. That meant sweeping the SBC and beating UAB. Well... I'm not satisfied at this point even if we win out and go bowling as SBC Champs. Mediocrity sux!

Trojan2003
10-17-2005, 04:19 PM

What planet are you from? A real D1 Coach with BCS experience. How do you plan to pay him? Come on. LB is the man for the job. Yes, he has some tough decisions to make at the end of (or middle?) this year. We must continue to support this program, and we must never be satisfied with anything but total domination of the pitiful SBC. I said at the beginning of this year that I would be unhappy with anything less than a 9-2 season. That meant sweeping the SBC and beating UAB. Well... I'm not satisfied at this point even if we win out and go bowling as SBC Champs. Mediocrity sux!
Again, last time - I posted this appr. 15+ minutes after the game, check some other threads and you will realize that I am more concerned about MF right now.

tgrad8384
10-17-2005, 04:21 PM

Again, last time - I posted this appr. 15+ minutes after the game, check some other threads and you will realize that I am more concerned about MF right now.

Sorry. I read your "retraction" a bit later. But I stand by the rest of what I said!

Trojan2003
10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
That's o.k. - I am just sensitive on this topic since another user attacked me for this statement. But, I didn't insult one of our players - like he did.

TUTrojan
10-17-2005, 05:11 PM
I believe that we all really want Blakeney around a little longer.

The frustration directed towards him is because of his inability to cure the ailments that have affected this team over the last couple of years and his continuing problems in getting this team prepared for a conference opponent.

We are really trying to tell him to wake up and right the ship. We aren't ready to make him walk the plank, not yet anyway.

We pay our coaches more than most of the Sunbelt teams do. In my opinion, we have and are able to attract better athletes than most schools in the conference. The question we are all asking is why are we an average team in this conference over our short history here given all variables?

Besides our obvious weakness on offense, does Blakeney's premature thoughts of conference supremacy have anything to do with our poor performance?

He did recently tell the Montgomery QB club that the Sunbelt was basically a terrible confernence and that Troy would be looking to move at some point- maybe some success in the Sunbelt would help.

I hate to be so negative, so I don't know if I have anything else to add around here for a while. We owe our young men far better.

Navarre Trojan
10-17-2005, 06:56 PM
ever researched what the pay scale is at Troy for the assistant coaches? Aren't they employees of the state of Alabama? IF so, this should be public knowledge. I have read on this site a gazillion times about pay and what we don't pay and what we have to pay, etc., etc.

How do we compare to other Sun Belt schools with regards to salaries? MAC salaries? WAC? C-USA? Big East? Big 12?, etc?

It is my opinion that we all post these types of data without any basis or findings. No one has ever posted any numbers, no one has ever posted any comparisons, or numbers from other schools, that I have ever seen, so I don't really know WHERE our staff falls in the pecking order of assistant football coaches as compared to the other 117 D-1 schools. I am not talking about what the "boosters" kick in, but what the universities are responsible for.

I think we all assume that we need more money for staff, we need more money for facilities, for whatever, which I agree with but I am not sure you always get better. I would certainly love to see some numbers to compare as well as the short range and long range financials of the athletic dept. Anybody got any answers?

We seem to think that money will bring us the "coach with the gridiron halo" to cure our ills. Not sure this is what we need at all. Maybe we need some more hard work, dedication, VESTMENT, attention to detail, etc. by everyone, coaches, players, administrators, and Alumni/fans. Analyze strengths and weaknesses in all phases of the program and correct them. Everyone can recognize some of these, but there are those in some positions that are paid (not matter what their salary is) to recognize and correct. Let's hope we have the right people in those areas to right the ship.

Money doesn't always solve the problem. Notre Dame paid Gerry Foust a pot full of money (for those times) and got a high school coach, so.... For better or worse, thick or thin, sickness and in health...

Go Trojans - I'm with you all the way

CattouseFan
10-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Would they be state employees if the atheletic department funds itself. I do not know if that is the case at Troy but I think it is the case at Purdue.

TrojanWar
10-17-2005, 09:14 PM
ever researched what the pay scale is at Troy for the assistant coaches? Aren't they employees of the state of Alabama? IF so, this should be public knowledge. I have read on this site a gazillion times about pay and what we don't pay and what we have to pay, etc., etc.

How do we compare to other Sun Belt schools with regards to salaries? MAC salaries? WAC? C-USA? Big East? Big 12?, etc?

It is my opinion that we all post these types of data without any basis or findings. No one has ever posted any numbers, no one has ever posted any comparisons, or numbers from other schools, that I have ever seen, so I don't really know WHERE our staff falls in the pecking order of assistant football coaches as compared to the other 117 D-1 schools.

Navarre,
You must have missed this post back in September (note this was before LB's raise):

September 13, 2005

From top to bottom - a salary breakdown of the Sun Belt Conference

This is one of those FYI type of stories - also shows that despite four straight Sun Belt titles, it is not North Texas who rewards their coaches with the highest compensation packages.

In the course of researching how the staff of the North Texas makes in comparison to the rest of the Sun Belt, the staff of the Denton Record Chronicle broke down all the major staff of each of the member schools of the entire Sun Belt Conference.

If you've ever wanted to know how much the LB coach for Troy or the O-Line coach for Louisiana-Lafayette makes in a year, well...here is your answer.

Middle Tennessee
Head coach — $220,000 Assistant head coach — $88,000 Offensive coordinator — $86,000 Defensive coordinator — $93,000 Tight ends — $48,000 Running backs — $50,000 Quarterbacks — $71,000 Defensive backs — $52,000 Offensive line — $76,000 Linebackers — $87,000 Assistants total – 651,000 Staff total – 871,000 Assistants’ average – 72,333

North Texas
Head coach – 204,500 (Total includes a $20,000 annuity payment and a $6,000 car allowance. Guaranteed incentives for Sun Belt membership and a radio stipend push the total to $259,500)
Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks — $73,500
Defensive coordinator/linebackers — $73,500
Defensive line — $73,500
Running backs/recruiting coordinator — $67,000
Defensive backs — $67,000
Offensive line — $65,000
Defensive ends — $65,000
Tight ends — $45,000
Wide receivers — $40,000
Assistants total — $569,500
Staff total – 774,000*
Assistant’s average — $63,278
* Note – Total jumps to 823,000 with Dickey’s guaranteed incentives

Troy
Head coach — $191,456
Offensive line — $73,000
Offensive coordinator — $75,625
Wide receivers — $70,000
Co-defensive coordinator — $67,750
Co-defensive coordinator — $62,245
Running backs — $54,184
Defensive ends — $52,993
Tight ends — $52,000
Linebackers — $50,000
Assistant’s total — $557,797
Staff total – 749,253
Assistant’s average — $61,997

Louisiana-Lafayette
Head coach — $192,500
Offensive coordinator/QBs — $72,800
Wide receivers — $55,120
Offensive line — $70,720
Running backs/special teams — $57,000
Corner backs — $52,340
Defensive coordinator/linebackers — $72,800
Defensive line — $57,200
Safeties – $60,000
Tight ends/tackles — $54,060
Assistants total — $552,040
Staff total — $744,540
Assistant’s average — $61,338

Arkansas State
Head coach — $140,000
Co-defensive coordinator — $80, 626
Co-defensive coordinator — $77,358
Offensive coordinator — $77,358
Assistant coach — $62,386
Assistant coach — $59,925
Assistant coach — $57,201
Assistant coach — $55,022
Assistant coach — $55,022
Assistant coach — $54,478
Assistants total — $579,376
Staff total – 719,367
Assistant’s average — $64,375

Florida Atlantic
Head coach — $272,863
Assistant head coach — $61,319
Offensive coordinator — $81,319
Defensive coordinator — $61,319
Defensive line — $42,630
Offensive line – $40,000
Defensive tackles — $36,900
Wide receivers — $30,586
Running backs — $35,000
Special assistant to the head coach – $23,661
Assistant’s total — $412,734
Staff total – 685,597
Assistant’s average — $45,859

Florida International
Head coach — $250,000
Assistant head coach — $65,000
Offensive coordinator — $60,000
Defensive coordinator — $60,000
Defensive backs – 55,000
Recruiting coordinator – 60,000
Running backs – 55,000
Offensive line – 30,000
Defensive line – 45,000
Assistants total – 430,000
Staff total – 680,000
Assistant’s average – $53,750

Louisiana-Monroe
Head coach — $75,000
Assistant head coach — $55,000
Defensive coordinator — $55,000
Offensive coordinator — $55,000
Offensive line — $43,000
Defensive line — $44,000
Defensive backs — $42,500
Running backs — $41,000
Linebackers — $47,000
Tight ends — $23,000
Assistant’s total — $405,500
Staff total – 480,500
Assistant’s average — $45,056

Posted by Josh McClain

http://www.fanblogs.com/005679.php

BMarkey
10-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Troy lost to a $75k coach (close to one-third of what Blakeney makes) and some $45k assistants. Perfect!

Navarre Trojan
10-18-2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the info and I did miss this post. The amounts of money are interesting. I would like to see how this rates among all other D-1 schools. I just don't know where Troy/Sun Belt is in relation to the other schools.

Here is another question for the masses, "how do other institution alumnus initiate their "booster clubs" and are allowed to pay the "offset" costs to their coaches?" How are incentives "built in" to contracts? It would be interesting to find this out. Cause you know if LB is going to build a new shed he is going to use Great Southern Wood, and then relax to an evening of entertainment and cinema with a "Movie Gallery favorite."

Dang, how about La-Mo, we think our staff is underpaid, look at those numbers!!!

I know this, for 75K (O/C) and 73K (offensive Line Coach) we should get a lot more. Hell get the guy from LA-Mo, we could get an OC and an Offensive Line coach and save $48K!!

Now having looked at this (BUT not having seen any other conferences) I stand on my point that money doesn't always bring you what you need. We pay pretty damn good, comparatively.

TrojanFan2
10-18-2005, 07:51 AM
Money is a factor but not always the primary one. I'm sure there are plenty of old coaches out there that have made the big bucks and would be content to work in a low visibility job that doesn't have the pressure of the press, travel, speaking engagements and all the other stuff that goes with a large BCS program. Vic Koenig said that about himself once.

Maybe they just want to be around home to watch their kids grow up or some other family consideration. They already had a successful career and just want to do some coaching out of the glare of a high profile spotlight. Maybe they just want to caoch and not do all the leg work for recruiting. There are probably hundreds of possibilities. Money isn't the motivator for them because they already made enough to retire and live comfortably. Maybe they would just like to coach again --- they're out there somewhere, we just need to look.

tsu59
10-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Local news earlier this year had Blakeney's salary at $215,000 :?

TrojanWar
10-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Yeah 59, as I stated, this was before LB's raise.

Don't look at the ULM money too hard. The head coach is still being paid by his previous employer so ULM only has to pay a small amount for the time being. He makes more than $75K a year.

BMarkey
10-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Except for Howard, the FAU coaches don't make enough to keep them in any kind of luxury. The media price of a house is more than $400,000 in Palm Beach County (and higher in Boca).

$45k? Better find a cheap apartment or hope you bought a place two or three years ago (or like me, 22 years ago) when they were affordable.

Trojan2003
10-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Ledger-Enquirer.com:

Blakeney has led Troy at 3 levels

BY ROBERT SPRUCK

Staff Writer

Larry Blakeney has coached a Division II school, a Division I-AA school and a Division I-A school.

And he's done it while never changing schools. Blakeney has been coaching football at Troy for the last 14 years. When he first got there, then-Troy State played Division II and now Troy is in the D-I Sun Belt Conference.

Blakeney led the Trojans last season to 7-5 record and their first bowl game. Blakeney, who played at Auburn, took some time away from coaching to be the guest speaker at the Columbus Quarterback Club meeting Monday evening.

He sat down with the Ledger-Enquirer before the meeting and answered five questions:

What's it been like to go from Division II to Division I?

"It's been interesting. When I came in, I knew we would be moving up from Division II to Division I-AA. I knew that would be a good level to start at, and I didn't want to go much lower than that. I had no idea that we would move up to Division I. That first class we signed was the winningest class in the school's history and then the next class broke that. It's been an interesting trip to see all of the changes that we have gone through."

After 7-5 season in 2004, has the 2-4 start been a disappointment? "Every year you count on being able to win. This group is just a lot younger. We lost 14 starters that were seniors. We also lost a quarterback that was ineligible. We also had a safety that moved to Oklahoma, so we lost more than just those graduating seniors. We're a young team that's gaining experience. We have 10 seniors that are playing well, and we're looking forward to getting back."

Troy always plays a tough non-conference schedule. What do you feel the benefit of doing that is? "A lot of times there is money involved. We can receive $400,000 or $500,000 for playing the game. Also for us to play those teams, it helps our image and prestige level. It will also help us in recruiting. Recruits are more interested when they see you're playing Missouri or Maryland. Playing against conferences like the Big 12, SEC and ACC helps get them. It also helps us get national exposure."

The defense has allowed almost twice as many points as it did a year ago. What has contributed to that? "It's not all been the defense's fault. We have a core of good young guys, but our offense has also turned it over a lot. Football is a three-phase game. And when all three phases come together usually it translates into a win. We haven't done that."

How tough has it been to replace running back DeWitt Betterson, who had 1,200 yards in 2004? "We have gone with a running back by committee. (Joel) Whingter is a throw back. He always runs hard. He's not really a slasher. Anthony Jones is only a freshman, but he acts and plays like a junior. But our best back is our fullback. Sean Dawkins is the lead blocker on all the running playing to the tailback, and he also catches passes. We try to find ways to get him the ball."

ksdtrojan
10-18-2005, 03:43 PM
They forgot to ask question #6:
Mark Fleetwood's offensive schemes if you want to call them that are well offensive! So Coach Blakeney, when are you anticipating firing Mark Fleetwood in order to make room for a better OC?

BMarkey
10-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Why don't we ever see him get some real, tough questions? Are the writers all just too afraid or too inexperienced to get tough?

Was the the entire story?

Thanks.

Trojan2003
10-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Why don't we ever see him get some real, tough questions? Are the writers all just too afraid or too inexperienced to get tough?

Was the the entire story?

Thanks.
Yes, that's it.

TrojanWar
10-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Are the writers all just too afraid or too inexperienced to get tough?

Seriously, yes, that is the answer. Sorry guys (you know who you are).

tsu59
10-18-2005, 06:48 PM
I have no information at all to base this on but I wouldn't be surprised if SW was named OC soon - at the end of the season anyway - just a gut feeling.

nasupporter
10-18-2005, 06:57 PM
I have no information at all to base this on but I wouldn't be surprised if SW was named OC soon - at the end of the season anyway - just a gut feeling.

Might be o.k.,, at least better than whats happening now. But,, maybe some 'new blood' would be better. Bring in a little excitement.

ThePowerMan
10-18-2005, 09:22 PM
No one with ANY experience will bother to come to Troy to make $75K. Who was Vic Koening B4 he came to Troy. Troy is the training field for quality D1 coaches (as bad as that sounds). Until we move to the next level of competition that is the way it will be. Mark this....If Blankney didn't have so much baggage from his Auburn experience he would have left years ago. No one wanted him then and now he is set at Troy. He is the Joe Pa of Troy!

My question for this board is.....Will we take a chance on good coaches with baggage (like we did LB) or will we search for the next young O.C. and D.C. studs (like Nix was at Southern Miss)?

Nice Trojan
10-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Troy
Head coach — $191,456
Offensive line — $73,000
Wide receivers — $70,000
Running backs — $54,184
Defensive ends — $52,993
Tight ends — $52,000
Linebackers — $50,000
Staff total – 749,253

Ok, so what I get from this and this is my new question and also my new favored scenario:

Why can't we fire our supposed OC Former Kicker Fleetwood who is making 75K and move our Co DC Jeremy Rowell who was a QB and making only 65K to OC.

I am all in favor of seeing Rowell can run our offense. All I remember when he was QB we went unbeaten (until GS rolled into town). He may be young, 31-32?, but it is worth a try to let a former QB try it.

ksdtrojan
10-19-2005, 07:41 AM
Troy
Head coach — $191,456
Offensive line — $73,000
Wide receivers — $70,000
Running backs — $54,184
Defensive ends — $52,993
Tight ends — $52,000
Linebackers — $50,000
Staff total – 749,253

Ok, so what I get from this and this is my new question and also my new favored scenario:

Why can't we fire our supposed OC Former Kicker Fleetwood who is making 75K and move our Co DC Jeremy Rowell who was a QB and making only 65K to OC.

I am all in favor of seeing Rowell can run our offense. All I remember when he was QB we went unbeaten (until GS rolled into town). He may be young, 31-32?, but it is worth a try to let a former QB try it.

I have often thought of the same move and even mentioned it in previous post. At least he would understand offensive rythm and would be able to relate to the QB and other offensive players.

TrojanFan2
10-19-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm surprized that Blakeney doesn't coach the quarterbacks. didn't he used to do that with Nutter? Blakeney was a QB and a lot of head coaches do coach the QB.

tsu59
10-19-2005, 08:32 AM
I would like to see Rowell as OC - and HC one day.

Any body ever find out what Mike Turk's salary is :?:

Troy87
10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
I say hire Mike Turk as OC and have him run the wishbone with Foster. That's what we ran when Turk was QB, and we won two NCs with it. Foster and Grant (not to be confused with the sunglasses) can both run option offenses. :wink:

Navarre Trojan
10-20-2005, 08:41 AM
run the single wing!! Hey the wishbone is not that far off an idea. Fisher Deberry makes a damn good living at it in Colorado Springs, CO!!! Let's get one of their position coaches or OC and see if they will come to Troy.

BTW, 75K in Troy, Alabama "aint to shabby" as my pappa would say. It's not like 75K in Miami, or Atlanta, or Dallas, it's Troy! You can live in some pretty tall cotton on 75K a year, I'd take that patch!

Go Trojans

Trojan2003
10-20-2005, 10:11 AM
BTW, 75K in Troy, Alabama "aint to shabby" as my pappa would say. It's not like 75K in Miami, or Atlanta, or Dallas, it's Troy! You can live in some pretty tall cotton on 75K a year, I'd take that patch!

Go Trojans
Good Point !!
As a Business student, I couldn't resist to use an Online salary calculator. They didn't have Troy on the list, so I chose Dothan.

A salary of $75,000 in Dothan has the same buying power as a salary of

$98,684 in Miami,FL
The cost of living in Miami, Florida is 31.6% higher than that of Dothan.

$119,737 in Atlanta,GA
The cost of living in Atlanta, Georgia is 59.6% higher than that of Dothan.

$92,105 in Tallahassee, FL
The cost of living in Tallahassee, Florida is 22.8% higher than that of Dothan.

TrojanWar
10-20-2005, 10:27 AM
I figure the cost of living in Dothan is still a little higher than it is in Troy. The price of new homes in Dothan have gone sky high with all the new construction. Even in Headland, a new 1500 sq. ft. home will run you between $150,000 and $175,000 depending on the location. I could be wrong, but I don't think Troy is growing that fast. Let's just say this, I could live a little better in Troy on my current Dothan salary. Small, rural towns in Alabama are extrememly affordable...unless they are major suburbs of primary cities or towns.

Navarre Trojan
10-20-2005, 10:28 AM
getting all wrapped up with the numbers may be the least of our worries.

TrojanWar
10-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Very true Navarre. I don't care so long as Mark Fleetwood is no longer a part of the Troy population this time next year!

Trojan2003
10-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Sorry, wrong post.
Edit
I hit the wrong button.