PDA

View Full Version : Tonight I had the Troy PD called on me for CHEERING

trojanchad
09-15-2012, 10:11 PM
A "fan" who ended up leaving at halftime actually complained to the police that I was standing up during the game.

I have no idea if that person is on this message board, but I sit in section 107 on row 12. I will be standing up next game and the one after that and as long as God is willing I will stand at every Troy home game and as many away games as I can get to.

I will cheer for good plays. I will boo for bad plays. I will occasionally heckle officials and opposing coaches.

I will do this on my feet. If you cannot handle this please call the ticket office and see about changing the seats you occasionally use.

This guy called me rude and told me I should be sitting down. When he was invited to leave my personal space, he immediately ran to security. The Troy PD officer I talked with was very courteous and told me I wasn't doing anything wrong. He told me that he suggested to this other "fan" that we could swap seats. I politely told the officer that I wasn't interested since I was sitting with my family and there were seats available in front of me if he wanted to move. The officer sent me on my way and I spent the rest of the game cheering on the Trojans.

Several people in my section came up to me to thank me for standing up for myself and not stopping my cheering. If any of you are on this board, thanks for saying hi.
Go Troy!

TUTrojan
09-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Way to stand up for yourself. We are in 107 in 17-18 and stood most of the game as well. They should relocate that dude to the seating on the other side where everybody sits on their hands all game!

trojanheart99
09-15-2012, 10:35 PM
I love the way those of us in sec 107 stand up and cheer for OUR Trojans!!!!! Believe me the football players acknowledge it and appreciate it.....we are at a football game not the opera!!!!! If you would like to sit go to the upper deck!!!!! SEC 107 ROW 9. :wave:

trojanchad
09-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Section 107 - They're called STANDS for a reason!

BCTROJAN
09-15-2012, 11:13 PM
You beat me to posting this. I could not believe this guy. But then again over the past year or two I have noticed he is not a happy camper so maybe not too surprising. Oh, I'm one of the folks that spoke to you. I'll formally introduce myself at the next game.

The crowd was great tonight and definitely was the "12th" man and we did our part. Go Troy!

TSU98
09-15-2012, 11:25 PM
I was sitting in section 206 and saw someone tell someone else that they needed to sit and this was in the 4th qtr, when it was nail biting time. I made the suggestion that maybe they needed to stand up instead. I think that they gave me the evil eye.

SOTSAlumBigGuns
09-16-2012, 12:00 AM
We were holding down the fort in general admission. Luckily we got the top seats so nobody could complain about standing. However, we caused two different groups to move from in front of us. Guess we were a bit too loud and excited. The third group to sit there were really nice and didn't mind us at all. One of the guys even said he thought I had a horn for the longest time and finally realized it was just my yelling. He said "boy you've got a good set of lungs!" lol

Way to stand up for yourself!

Dothan_Trojan97
09-16-2012, 01:15 AM
A "fan" who ended up leaving at halftime actually complained to the police that I was standing up during the game.

I have no idea if that person is on this message board, but I sit in section 107 on row 12. I will be standing up next game and the one after that and as long as God is willing I will stand at every Troy home game and as many away games as I can get to.

I will cheer for good plays. I will boo for bad plays. I will occasionally heckle officials and opposing coaches.

I will do this on my feet. If you cannot handle this please call the ticket office and see about changing the seats you occasionally use.

This guy called me rude and told me I should be sitting down. When he was invited to leave my personal space, he immediately ran to security. The Troy PD officer I talked with was very courteous and told me I wasn't doing anything wrong. He told me that he suggested to this other "fan" that we could swap seats. I politely told the officer that I wasn't interested since I was sitting with my family and there were seats available in front of me if he wanted to move. The officer sent me on my way and I spent the rest of the game cheering on the Trojans.

Several people in my section came up to me to thank me for standing up for myself and not stopping my cheering. If any of you are on this board, thanks for saying hi.
Go Troy!

I'm in Section 107 as well, Row 15. I'm a little further down from you, but I saw the officer speak to both of you and was wondering what was up. Glad you STOOD your ground - pun intended!

We stand up alot during the game, although we have 2 older couples right behind us that stand occasionally, but sit mostly, so I try to sit in between plays to give them a break. But they haven't complained yet. It may help that we carry on a conversation during the game and often bring them boiled peanuts that we get in Dothan on our way up to the games. A little courtesy, conversation, and bribery goes a long way.

On another note, what was the fan further up in our section (the older guy) doing? Was he heckling the MSU bench? I heard some MSU fans tell him to sit down. Was wondering what was going on.

Pcbtrojan
09-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Trojanchad don't worry about it. That guy needs to move on to another section. Keep it up, we need more like you in 107. I'm in row 19. The officer had the look of I can't believe I have to talk to someone about this.

yeahIwin
09-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Sit your ass down! There are plenty of people who can't stand for what reason. It IS RUDE to stand the entire game. I have just as much right to see the game. I'm all for standing on big plays or third down. But standing for standings sake just makes you rude. I'm here to tell you if you blocked my view or a family members view and I asked you to please be respectful I'd go and get security too.

TFan
09-16-2012, 03:54 PM
All we need Athletics to do is assign Standers to GrandStand Sections and sitters to GrandSits Sections.

Problem solved.

Lego
09-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Thank goodness I sit in a box.

trojanchad
09-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Sit your ass down! There are plenty of people who can't stand for what reason. It IS RUDE to stand the entire game. I have just as much right to see the game. I'm all for standing on big plays or third down. But standing for standings sake just makes you rude. I'm here to tell you if you blocked my view or a family members view and I asked you to please be respectful I'd go and get security too.

And they would tell you the same thing, Internet tough guy.

MonsterDawg
09-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Go Troy!

I understand your enthusiasm, but it is rude to stand the whole game in front of other people. They paid for a "seat" not for a spot. A person can cheer for a team and get excited while sitting. Of course everyone expects you to stand and cheer and on big downs, situations, and plays. But standing up blocking the views of others on on 2-8 in the 1st quarter?
I want even say they might have health issues. They just may not want to stand the whole time to see the field because you wont sit down...

trojanchad
09-16-2012, 04:39 PM
I understand your enthusiasm, but it is rude to stand the whole game in front of other people. They paid for a "seat" not for a spot. A person can cheer for a team and get excited while sitting. Of course everyone expects you to stand and cheer and on big downs, situations, and plays. But standing up blocking the views of others on on 2-8 in the 1st quarter?

Thanks for attempting to put me in my place, but I never said I stood the entire game.

What other people expect me to cheer for is not my concern. A record breaking crowd filled our stadium last night as we took an SEC team to the limit. Which plays weren't big plays?:confused013:

Hemi Man
09-16-2012, 04:39 PM
I want even say they might have health issues. They just may not want to stand the whole time to see the field because you wont sit down...

Sounds like security ruled on it. End of story.

MonsterDawg
09-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks for attempting to put me in my place, but I never said I stood the entire game.

What other people expect me to cheer for is not my concern. A record breaking crowd filled our stadium last night as we took an SEC team to the limit. Which plays weren't big plays?:confused013:

Your insinuation was the whole time. and there was no attempt to put you in your place. I simply stated I as most people would have an issue if someone stood up in front of them most of the game.... But I will agree that was probably the most exciting game at VMS in several years!!! There were a lot of plays to stand and cheer for!!

And Hemi, thanks for adding nothing to the conversation as usual. If you really want to help, tell JR to come up with a game plan for getting pressure on a QB more than 2 times a game and perhaps stopping a 4th down conversions by opposition. Then we may all stand and cheer the whole game!!!

yeahIwin
09-16-2012, 04:54 PM
And they would tell you the same thing, Internet tough guy.

I made no threat to you. I'm not obstructing anyone's view. By standing you are obstructing MY view. You can see just fine by sitting.

trojanchad
09-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Then we may all stand and cheer the whole game!!!

Wait... what???

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rZxKilLVYk4/Tzp5FHku2yI/AAAAAAAAAyU/g_k73uauybI/s200/jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

Hemi Man
09-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Your insinuation was the whole time. and there was no attempt to put you in your place. I simply stated I as most people would have an issue if someone stood up in front of them most of the game.... But I will agree that was probably the most exciting game at VMS in several years!!! There were a lot of plays to stand and cheer for!!

And Hemi, thanks for adding nothing to the conversation as usual. If you really want to help, tell JR to come up with a game plan for getting pressure on a QB more than 2 times a game and perhaps stopping a 4th down conversions by opposition. Then we may all stand and cheer the whole game!!!

Even better how about I introduce you to him and you can give him all the coaching tips your little heart desires. What do you think about after the WKU game? Is that good for you? You do go to the games right?

trojanchad
09-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I made no threat to you. I'm not obstructing anyone's view. By standing you are obstructing MY view. You can see just fine by sitting.

You told me to sit my ass down. I'd take that as a threat if it were said in person. But you've already said you'd run to security anyway.

yeahIwin
09-16-2012, 05:03 PM
If that is a threat you need to ask your significant other if you can borrow the pants some time. I'd hate for you to soil your skirt.

yeahIwin
09-16-2012, 05:04 PM
And with that said I'm done posting on this topic. Flame on schmuck.

trojanchad
09-16-2012, 05:11 PM
If that is a threat you need to ask your significant other if you can borrow the pants some time. I'd hate for you to soil your skirt.

And with that said I'm done posting on this topic. Flame on schmuck.

Cool story, bro. You picked a good time to stop.

I can't think of anyone who wouldn't take someone telling them to "sit their ass down" as a threat (if it were done anywhere but a message board).

Now I'm soiling my skirt.

And I'm flaming YOU?

If you're not the same guy from last night, maybe y'all could hang out. Go for a nice sit somewhere quiet.

TrojanEmpire
09-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Both of you just need to calm down.

Seriously though, those who just stand the entire game without taking into account the people around them are just rude and inconsiderate. Those people paid for their seats as well and deserve to see the game as well. Stand and cheer for big plays all you want. That is understandable. Stand the whole game and obstruct the view of others, don't be surprised if others around you get ticked off. They didn't pay to see your back the whole game, they paid to see the game.

Just be adults and show your fellow fans some common courtesy during the game.

trojanchad
09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
All calm here. Just responding.:eatdrink004:

pkf4troy
09-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Cool story, bro. You picked a good time to stop.

I can't think of anyone who wouldn't take someone telling them to "sit their ass down" as a threat (if it were done anywhere but a message board).

Now I'm soiling my skirt.

And I'm flaming YOU?

If you're not the same guy from last night, maybe y'all could hang out. Go for a nice sit somewhere quiet.

He's famous for getting in a last word and then running. He's made the same comments towards other including myself and I've invited him to come down to Row 8 Sec. 107 seats 24-27 and make me sit. Havent had it happen yet. Its sicking to have the defense raising their hands for the crowd to get up and turn around and see alot of people in this section sitting on their hands and also yelling at people to sit.

trojanchad
09-16-2012, 05:52 PM
He's famous for getting in a last word and then running. He's made the same comments towards other including myself and I've invited him to come down to Row 8 Sec. 107 seats 24-27 and make me sit. Havent had it happen yet. Its sicking to have the defense raising their hands for the crowd to get up and turn around and see alot of people in this section sitting on their hands and also yelling at people to sit.

Are you who I think you are? Did I talk with you on Facebook Friday about a high school game?

Either way, good to see your comment.

I was getting tired of the nanny's on here. I need to sit. I need to cheer on pre-approved plays only. I need to raise my hand to go to the bathroom. I need to look around before I clap my hands together. I need to do this. Blah blah blah.

Also any general admission Trojans who'd like to upgrade to section 107, the couple next to us usually leave at halftime. The row in front of my has about 3 or 4 spots available on a consistent basis. Come on down and cheer with us, yell at me to sit down, whatever.:wave:

pkf4troy
09-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Are you who I think you are? Did I talk with you on Facebook Friday about a high school game?

Either way, good to see your comment.

I was getting tired of the nanny's on here. I need to sit. I need to cheer on pre-approved plays only. I need to raise my hand to go to the bathroom. I need to look around before I clap my hands together. I need to do this. Blah blah blah.

Also any general admission Trojans who'd like to upgrade to section 107, the couple next to us usually leave at halftime. The row in front of my has about 3 or 4 spots available on a consistent basis. Come on down and cheer with us, yell at me to sit down, whatever.:wave:

That was me.

AirforceTrojan
09-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Please stay home and watch the game on your computer from now on.

SFMTrojan
09-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Standing up and yelling helps create a better atmosphere

When I graduate I still plan on sitting....I mean standing in the student section instead of sitting with soundless zombies who ***** and moan. I understand if the old timers cant stand and yell but I'd rather have a loud and rowdy stadium

if the whole stadium did what the student section did saturday night we would probably be undefeated at home every year

My tactic seems to work....when someone ask you to sit down you simply respond to them by telling to stand up and get loud, when I see people sitting in the student section I yell at them to get up and get loud and most of the time it inspires them and they get their butts up

troy4ever
09-17-2012, 07:54 AM
There's an easy way to fix this by the athletic department if it continues to be an issue. Designate certain sections around the stadium for fans that would like to stand, and certain sections for fans that would like to sit. Advertise those sections as such so people could make the decision. It would work for our older fans that lack the ability to stand all game, and would give young guys like myself the opportunity to stand the entire game without blocking someone's view. Easy enough.

trojanchad
09-17-2012, 08:15 AM
There's an easy way to fix this by the athletic department if it continues to be an issue. Designate certain sections around the stadium for fans that would like to stand, and certain sections for fans that would like to sit. Advertise those sections as such so people could make the decision. It would work for our older fans that lack the ability to stand all game, and would give young guys like myself the opportunity to stand the entire game without blocking someone's view. Easy enough.

Too "nanny" for my tastes but I can see your point. Since my section is directly behind the visiting team, I think it's reasonable to expect passionate fans who will get loud and stand (again not the entire game, but I'm not on a quota with my excitement). There's plenty of upper deck and lower north home side room for the hand sitters.

troy4ever
09-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Too "nanny" for my tastes but I can see your point. Since my section is directly behind the visiting team, I think it's reasonable to expect passionate fans who will get loud and stand (again not the entire game, but I'm not on a quota with my excitement). There's plenty of upper deck and lower north home side room for the hand sitters.

Ya...it is too nanny. But I think it would improve the game experience for all which is important for us building the fan base and to keep putting butts in the seats.

trojanchad
09-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Ya...it is too nanny. But I think it would improve the game experience for all which is important for us building the fan base and to keep putting butts in the seats.

I'd rather have an paid in full corporate ticket seat that stays empty than a handsitter that intimidates fans from being loud - especially when the defensive players are frantically waving their arms for some crowd noise.

dgoebel
09-17-2012, 08:37 AM
I sit in the stadium club and we had some grumpy old man who was getting on everybody in front of him for standing, he ran off several people and the last one was a young student sitting with her family. He left in the 4th and I aplogized to the young lady and her family and told her to stand, yell, cheer, whatever. It is all part of the game. It was nice to have fans in the action and we don't need some grumpy old people to spoil it.

trojanchad
09-17-2012, 08:49 AM
I sit in the stadium club and we had some grumpy old man who was getting on everybody in front of him for standing, he ran off several people and the last one was a young student sitting with her family. He left in the 4th and I aplogized to the young lady and her family and told her to stand, yell, cheer, whatever. It is all part of the game. It was nice to have fans in the action and we don't need some grumpy old people to spoil it.

Amazing how the grumpy ones rarely see all 4 quarters of action. From an energy and excitement standpoint, that's detrimental.

A couple of empty corporate tickets have never run anyone off.

And empty corporate seats do happen. It gets to a point where it's cheaper to buy in bulk for businesses. Sometimes all the tickets don't get used. Sometimes the tickets get the fans in the gate and then they end up in other areas of the stadium.

SOTSButterfly
09-17-2012, 09:19 AM
The argument over standing and sitting is one of the reasons I like staying in General Admission. If someone doesn't like our cheering, they're quite welcome to move (and usually plenty of people do move away from SOTSAlumBigGuns and I :taunt002: ).

SoFlaTrojan
09-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Speaking of game issues, did anyone witness this?

RT @devgray (https://twitter.com/devgray) #MSstate (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23MSstate&src=hash) star CB Jonathan Banks purposefully threw Gatorade on me,my girls & my friends tonight during the game. Twice. #classy (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23classy&src=hash)

TrojanFanatic
09-17-2012, 12:49 PM

RT @devgray (https://twitter.com/devgray) #MSstate (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23MSstate&src=hash) star CB Jonathan Banks purposefully threw Gatorade on me,my girls & my friends tonight during the game. Twice. #classy (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23classy&src=hash)

I don't know her, and didn't witness it, but it wouldn't surprise me. People tend to get upset when they know they are breaking against a "no name" team :jester:

Hemi Man
09-17-2012, 12:52 PM

I am aware of this incident. I can also tell you that the people in this group were not yelling obscenities at the players. So before anyone says this guy was provoked you can forget that one.

dgoebel
09-17-2012, 01:01 PM
I am aware of this incident. I can also tell you that the people in this group were not yelling obscenities at the players. So before anyone says this guy was provoked you can forget that one.

And the incident with ULL, I am happy to say that action was taken. Glad to see that our University will not tolerate that kind of behavior. Troy is one of the friendliest campuses anywhere and I was so proud of the way our fans and students conducted themselves Sat Night.

DedicatedTrojan84
09-17-2012, 01:24 PM
The argument over standing and sitting is one of the reasons I like staying in General Admission. If someone doesn't like our cheering, they're quite welcome to move (and usually plenty of people do move away from SOTSAlumBigGuns and I :taunt002: ).

:thumb: DT84 likes this. That's my new policy also. Sitting in GA using the tickets you and SBGA generously gave me was much better than dealing with 107 people. Thanks again for the tickets.

SoFlaTrojan
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
What happened and what were the consequences at/from the ULL game?

What happened at the MSU game and was the player spoken to, or did security do anything about this assault?

DedicatedTrojan84
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I forgot the fellas name here at GTT but he threatened to push me down the bleachers (via the internet of course if I didn't sit in my seats I paid for with my hard earned money. Some people are just plain dumb. Don't let it get to ya.

Oh and Teddy65 and I got threatened at the Ohio game in NO by a grandson and a granddad that were sitting 10 rows up from us. I guess he had had his viagra and couldn't see the cheerleaders.

dgoebel
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
What happened and what were the consequences at/from the ULL game?

What happened at the MSU game and was the player spoken to, or did security do anything about this assault?

Had a problem with one of the fraternities hurling some racial slurs at ULL. ULL sent their chaplain to ask them to stop and the chaplain had his wife insulted (to vulgar to mention). Evidentley ULL had the incident on video and there was action taken. What the action was and how severe I don't know, I just know that it was handled.

redwaver
09-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Standing up and yelling helps create a better atmosphere

When I graduate I still plan on sitting....I mean standing in the student section instead of sitting with soundless zombies who ***** and moan. I understand if the old timers cant stand and yell but I'd rather have a loud and rowdy stadium

if the whole stadium did what the student section did saturday night we would probably be undefeated at home every year

My tactic seems to work....when someone ask you to sit down you simply respond to them by telling to stand up and get loud, when I see people sitting in the student section I yell at them to get up and get loud and most of the time it inspires them and they get their butts up
No disrespect and I don't want to get into this never ending argument that neither side will yield on, but your statement about the student section interest me. My observation is they must do their standing and yelling that would make us "undefeated each year" in the first half because at most games (not last week) they LEAVE at half be darn the score. Just saying'!

Doug4Troy
09-17-2012, 04:38 PM

Go Troy!

I sit in the last row of setion 109 (right next to yours), I heard his complaint to the Troy officer. You were sitting at the time though. Basically, the officer told him if you had a tickey for that "seat," he couldn't tell you to sit. The guy, and he was an older guy, "older" but not too old, was not happy with the officer's response.

TUTrojan
09-17-2012, 06:39 PM
I had an older MSU fan that was actually sitting in one of my seats when I walked up. He scooted over some but stayed on one of our seats as all members of our group did not sit at the same time (we were crammed in so a couple stood at the rail). He actually complained to some MSU fans in my group about me standing and cheering too loudly when I walked away briefly. I was nice enough not to boot him out my seat and that is how I'm repaid?

I don't know how they do it in the SEC, but welcome to the Sun Belt, buddy!

trojanchad
09-17-2012, 07:07 PM
I sit in the last row of setion 109 (right next to yours), I heard his complaint to the Troy officer. You were sitting at the time though. Basically, the officer told him if you had a tickey for that "seat," he couldn't tell you to sit. The guy, and he was an older guy, "older" but not too old, was not happy with the officer's response.

I saw that he went back to the officer after I was allowed to go back enjoying the game, but had no idea what could have been said other than what the officer told me initially.

Other than yelling "People are standing - somebody call 9-1-1!" during a big play, and telling my son loud enough to never let someone push him around the way that guy tried to, I let it go.

SFMTrojan
09-18-2012, 12:25 AM
No disrespect and I don't want to get into this never ending argument that neither side will yield on, but your statement about the student section interest me. My observation is they must do their standing and yelling that would make us "undefeated each year" in the first half because at most games (not last week) they LEAVE at half be darn the score. Just saying'!

yeah I know and it ticks me off. I stay the whole game no matter what and yell my butt off. Wish they would lock the gates so no one could leave haha