PDA

View Full Version : Ok now that ive cleared my head.

newnan trojan
09-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I need to put my thoughts into writing.

Last night was upsetting. Less than 18k in attendance WITH a large UL fan base present is UPSETTING. But we do share the state with the last 3 National Champions. and coming off a 3-9 Season. ASU had 28k at their house for Memphis last night, UNT had 22k and UL had 25k last week for a FCS team. We are getting left behind in this area.

I saw good things and bad things last night. CR sets a record in passing yards but we STILL lose by 13? I said before this game that turnovers would be KEY. and I was right, there were. 3 of them and they score off every single one.

Penalties are still present. And a couple of them was the difference between UL punting and UL getting a 1st down and going off to score. Why are we still having to deal with this mess?

UL was a good team last night, No doubt will be in the hunt and the favorite to win this conference. Are we as bad as last year, NO, I really dont think so. I can still see this team getting to a winning season. FIU is weaker this year nearly losing to Akron and getting blown out by Duke. Arkansas State struggled and nearly lost to a Bad Memphis team that lost to a FCS team the week before. FAU and MTSU are a mess. USA should be a win. and ULM beating #8 Arkansas last night was impressive, thank god we dont play them this year. We just lost to probably the best or 2nd best team in the conference and we hung in there nearly the entire game even WITH 3 turnovers. This isnt the same Conference we use to play and win every SBC game in. Its MUCH harder now, and thats ok, we might have just lost to the SBC champ by 13. Doesnt mean we cant be #2 or #3.

We dont have enough play makers. Southward is a beast but when he gets the ball (which is 9 times out of 10) and runs just about the same play over and over, the other team is going to shut it down. OPEN UP THE PLAY BOOK!!!

UL had fire, Their coaches were all over that field with HIGH intensity. Reminded me of FIU years back. The SBC has gotten high energy coaches and it shows. This League is VASTLY improved and is making a huge run at passing CUSA at this point. Our coaches did not show much fire...

I will be at all the games. This year isnt done for us guys. I still think we will reach a winning season. FAU, USA, MTSU are for sure winnable and thats 4 wins with UAB. FIU is weak and I think thats win 5, And I believe we will take UNT in 2 weeks and win. So thats 6 games that are winnable. ASU, WKU, and Navy wont be easy but its not impossible. Especially with ASU struggling with Memphis.

Ill be at the game with MSU next week. And hope for a close game. Im not so sure it will be a sell out at this point but there will be a great crowd. Lets go Trojans beat the bulldogs!

likesturtles
09-10-2012, 06:11 AM
I need to put my thoughts into writing.

Last night was upsetting. Less than 18k in attendance WITH a large UL fan base present is UPSETTING. But we do share the state with the last 3 National Champions. and coming off a 3-9 Season. ASU had 28k at their house for Memphis last night, UNT had 22k and UL had 25k last week for a FCS team. We are getting left behind in this area.

I think attendence was at a realistic level for a small school in a tiny town with a relatively small alumni population that is far flung and has to pick and choose which games to go to. Add in that Alabama was playing a gimme game that you could easily get cheap tickets to because of the opponent and the bad season we came off of... people who aren't already invested don't want to watch a repeat of last year. When (yes when, as upset as I was over some things this weekend) more folks will show up.

I saw good things and bad things last night. CR sets a record in passing yards but we STILL lose by 13? I said before this game that turnovers would be KEY. and I was right, there were. 3 of them and they score off every single one.

Penalties are still present. And a couple of them was the difference between UL punting and UL getting a 1st down and going off to score. Why are we still having to deal with this mess?

Even when we were one of the most penalized teams in the country we still won games and the conference. Though I think nerves played a part in the off-sides penalties. That's going to take training and some work on self-disapline in a stressful situation to get past. Corey had some bad throws, but his receivers also dropped some good ones and Chip seemed off his usual game. Also, changing out the QB when he's running a good series and marching down the field is boneheaded. Don't they remember what happened the last time we tried this with Jonathan Chandler? Once in a while when it's needed for a wildcat. Otherwise, let your starter play. Especially when he's connecting with his receivers and the offense has a good rhythm going.

We dont have enough play makers. Southward is a beast but when he gets the ball (which is 9 times out of 10) and runs just about the same play over and over, the other team is going to shut it down. OPEN UP THE PLAY BOOK!!!

Disagree on not having playmakers. Chandler and Eric had great nights. Khary looked good running, and so did Justin. We had some guys make big plays that were overshadowed by mistakes. I do agree trying to have Southward run up the middle all the time when that hole has been closed is questionable. But they did seem to be trying to mix it up a bit. However, we're built to throw the ball and do have a lot of good receivers and more than one throwing QB (we haven't had an effective duel threat starter since Omar, and lord knows he was good for interceptions). Running game is needed, but...

UL had fire, Their coaches were all over that field with HIGH intensity... Our coaches did not show much fire...

Blakney had plenty of fire, some of which he direct in a not-for-tv way at the refs. If you haven't watched it on ESPN3, you should, as painful as some of it is. More than once in huddles some coach or another had the boys fired up and for the most part kept them focused and playing until the clock ran down. Our coaches don't have temper tantrums and throw clipboards (most of the time). I won't say they're all equally good at pumping people up or even coaching, but they aren't all bad, either.

Still have issues with some things, but I'll be there next week with bells on and breakfast at our tailgate. And my pompom. Maybe a foam sword. If our QB is allowed to do his job and still can after his shoulder popping, he and his receivers will fully click in the next few games and we're going to run havoc in the last half of the year.

Hemi Man
09-10-2012, 06:42 AM
You both hit on some key points. Obviously the -3 in turnovers is the biggest stat. Add in the 2 stops deep in their territory and it really adds up to 5 turnovers. People can complain all day about LB not being firey enough, but I will take his demeanor over Hud and company anyday. I'm curious to see if the commisioner has anything to say to Hudspeth about his actions.

Refresh my memory. What bad happened when JC came in and ran the wildcat?

Here is the one glaring thing that stuck out to me, ULL was bigger on both lines than us. This won't be the last time we have problems with bigger lines and their ability to run. Remember WKU and NT from last year? I'm sure MSU will try and do the same thing. We just seem to lack the bulk on the lines that some of our conference mates have these days.

I'm also concerned with Corey and Zach's injuries.