PDA

View Full Version : Take 6 out

DedicatedTrojan84
09-01-2012, 01:19 PM
and put 7 in. Just sayin.

PsychoTrojan07
09-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Did not understand why they put corey in on the third and goal that he ended up fumbling on. Why take out the dual threat guy for a pure passing guy? I thought 7 looked solid while in the game. They must reallt not trust his throwing abilities.

Possum
09-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I love a dual threat QB, that's why Omar was such a good QB for us...

Oh and Psycho, I'm in your avatar picture... Still have a piece of that goal post and the Mizzou one as well...

Brotherofanalum
09-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Whenever I first started watching Troy football Omar was QB... He was my hero. Lol

Pee Wee 26
09-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Did not understand why they put corey in on the third and goal that he ended up fumbling on. Why take out the dual threat guy for a pure passing guy? I thought 7 looked solid while in the game. They must reallt not trust his throwing abilities.

Agreed... He had hot hand...

At worst we have a solid#2. I'd like to see the competition stay open & push them both to be better.

#7 could very well be the man.

SOTSButterfly
09-01-2012, 06:45 PM
At the game, SOTSAlumnBigGuns and I kept saying they need to put #7 in! He did a solid job when he played. Looking forward to seeing more of him in the future!

NotSoFastMyFriend
09-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah, that was one of the most frustrating things ever. Letting Deon Anthony drive the entire field and then putting in Corey on 3rd and goal made no sense. #7 deserved that score.

dgoebel
09-02-2012, 12:51 PM
#7 will have to play more. A dual threat in the spread trumps a pure passer in my book. Did anyone watch Oregon vs ASU. Two dual threat QB's running a fast paced spread. Makes a big difference when you run zone read option and the D really thinks the QB might run.

trojanbrutha
09-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Corey was forcing the ball to Chip. Plain and simple. He had several players running free but opted to throw into double coverage on more than one occasion. Fortunately, he had no ints on the day. His decision making has to be better for this offense to get back on track. We need him to distribute the ball like he's capable of doing.

dgoebel
09-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Corey was forcing the ball to Chip. Plain and simple. He had several players running free but opted to throw into double coverage on more than one occasion. Fortunately, he had no ints on the day. His decision making has to be better for this offense to get back on track. We need him to distribute the ball like he's capable of doing.

Agreed. Can't afford to miss opportunities like wide open recievers.

Mr.E_205_Legion
09-02-2012, 02:10 PM

We have been told through the print media that Corey is graded every practice. The educator in me every once and awhile gives hints to the students regarding material prior to the test. Hint to Corey before the test on Saturday, run through your PROGRESSIONS. Saturday the eye contact with Chip prevented you from looking to your second or third options which were streaking post patterns wide open and uncovered.

I support ALL our Trojans. Hopefully you will hear this hint again prior to Saturday! Hope to see 30,000 at Veteran's Memorial!!!

Navarre Trojan
09-02-2012, 02:47 PM
We have been told through the print media that Corey is graded every practice. The educator in me every once and awhile gives hints to the students regarding material prior to the test. Hint to Corey before the test on Saturday, run through your PROGRESSIONS. Saturday the eye contact with Chip prevented you from looking to your second or third options which were streaking post patterns wide open and uncovered.

I support ALL our Trojans. Hopefully you will hear this hint again prior to Saturday! Hope to see 30,000 at Veteran's Memorial!!!

I am not sure I agree with Corey NOT going through his progressions. I watched the game on television and didn't observe that very often. I think he had some timing issues because his younger/newer receivers were not running the right routes. When that happens and your QB expects you to be somewhere and you are not, it makes him look bad. I don't think for one minute that ANBODY ON THE FIELD knows this offense better than Corey Robinson, PERIOD. This is his 4th year in the system and he KNOWs this offense. If there are under/over throws, without pressure, it is probably because of a mis-run route.

Now, having said that, I think when Chip Reeves is on the field, and rested, we take a shot WAY down field. From what I saw yesterday, he can flat out fly. We have to utilize that more. But that means that when we are not going to him the other receivers have to step up and make catches. I'm not so sure they did a very good job of that yesterday. Which will give the O side of the ball plenty to work on, which is good.

trojanbrutha
09-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I am not sure I agree with Corey NOT going through his progressions. I watched the game on television and didn't observe that very often. I think he had some timing issues because his younger/newer receivers were not running the right routes. When that happens and your QB expects you to be somewhere and you are not, it makes him look bad. I don't think for one minute that ANBODY ON THE FIELD knows this offense better than Corey Robinson, PERIOD. This is his 4th year in the system and he KNOWs this offense. If there are under/over throws, without pressure, it is probably because of a mis-run route.

Now, having said that, I think when Chip Reeves is on the field, and rested, we take a shot WAY down field. From what I saw yesterday, he can flat out fly. We have to utilize that more. But that means that when we are not going to him the other receivers have to step up and make catches. I'm not so sure they did a very good job of that yesterday. Which will give the O side of the ball plenty to work on, which is good.

I will think seriously about what you've stated, but I think I'm going to believe my lyin' eyes on this one...

redwaver
09-02-2012, 04:05 PM
:rolleyes:

Agreed! However Cory twice missed a deep receiver WIDE open down the middle. If he looked in that area it would have been hard to miss those two. I thought we had some timing issues and that should come around soon....like by this Friday! I felt good about the total package after Saturday except for not knowing how to slam the door when the chance comes. I would liked to have seen that HUGE drive finished by the QB that got it down there but I assume they had other plans. It's what I didn't see that impressed me most, situations where it looked like no players had the "it's about ME and not the team" attitude. Good for them!:bounce012:

Hemi Man
09-02-2012, 04:09 PM
The most popular player on any team is always the backup quarterback. That will never change.

MonsterDawg
09-02-2012, 04:13 PM
The most popular player on any team is always the backup quarterback. That will never change.

Sometimes it is the 3rd string QB.

TFan
09-02-2012, 04:22 PM

I don't agree with that generally, but I WILL state that after watching Cory Robinson QB for 2+ seasons that he more often than not "telegraphs" his preferred receiver and neglects to "glance off' secondaries. Most defenses read Cory's intentions very well.

The higher level a QB advances, the better the defenses are at picking up the cues. Cory will need to step it up a notch on disguising his intentions.

GO TROJANS!

redwaver
09-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Really? News to me. What's wrong with getting excited about a #2 QB? Cory is the guy. NOBODY takes issue with that! It's just nice to have DEPTH isn't it?:-):laughing021:

Hemi Man
09-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Sometimes it is the 3rd string QB.

I agree with you there!!

I don't agree with that generally, but I WILL state that after watching Cory Robinson QB for 2+ seasons that he more often than not "telegraphs" his preferred receiver and neglects to "glance off' secondaries. Most defenses read Cory's intentions very well.

The higher level a QB advances, the better the defenses are at picking up the ques. Cory will need to step it up a notch on disguising his intentions.

GO TROJANS!

There is much work to be done for sure. Without the oline and running backs, this one probably isn't a win.

Really? News to me. What's wrong with getting excited about a #2 QB? Cory is the guy. NOBODY takes issue with that! It's just nice to have DEPTH isn't it?:-):laughing021:

Depth is great. I made a general statement. Calm down it's not even Monday yet.

TFan
09-02-2012, 04:34 PM
really? News to me. What's wrong with getting excited about a #2 qb? Cory is the guy. Nobody takes issue with that! it's just nice to have depth isn't it?:-):laughing021:

h#ll yes!!!!

redwaver
09-02-2012, 04:42 PM
I agree with you there!!

There is much work to be done for sure. Without the oline and running backs, this one probably isn't a win.

Depth is great. I made a general statement. Calm down it's not even Monday yet.
Calm down? Hemi you beat all! I do think your thought was we were bashing Cory but contrair......except for some timing issues and a missed receiver or two he did fine given weather, etc.. I don't know the quality of our opponent last Saturday. That will play out. This week should give us a clear view of where we are but I for one am optimistic! And we FINALLY have depth and that's a good thing!

Navarre Trojan
09-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I would just like to make a 'general statement' about depth. "What is it with this "depth" thing. We've ALWAYS had depth, haven't we? I mean you look at the "DEPTH CHART" and there are always 2 or 3 names next to each position, right? So, I am not sure I understand the meaning of this "depth concept" and I hear it everywhere for every team in the country.

To me, a 'depth problem" is when you have 19 kids out for the team and you have to field an offense, a defense and all sides of the special teams. If you only have 19, then you have a DEPTH PROBLEM, right?

Are we all trying to say that we finally have some 'quality depth' with this team. That the 2's and 3's are quickly becoming comfortable and talented enough to replace a 1 if necessary and lose no ground in the process? IF so, then the issue isn't depth, right? It is the QUALITY of the depth, right?

Hemi Man
09-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I would just like to make a 'general statement' about depth. "What is it with this "depth" thing. We've ALWAYS had depth, haven't we? I mean you look at the "DEPTH CHART" and there are always 2 or 3 names next to each position, right? So, I am not sure I understand the meaning of this "depth concept" and I hear it everywhere for every team in the country.

To me, a 'depth problem" is when you have 19 kids out for the team and you have to field an offense, a defense and all sides of the special teams. If you only have 19, then you have a DEPTH PROBLEM, right?

Are we all trying to say that we finally have some 'quality depth' with this team. That the 2's and 3's are quickly becoming comfortable and talented enough to replace a 1 if necessary and lose no ground in the process? IF so, then the issue isn't depth, right? It is the QUALITY of the depth, right?

Yes sir you are correct! Quality depth!!!

redwaver
09-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Technically you are correct. Sadly we usually refer to it in terms of "quality depth" but then you open the can of worms as to with whom that responsibilities lies (having quality players for depth). I saw a HS team with 14 players once....they had a depth problem.:-)

PsychoTrojan07
09-02-2012, 05:40 PM
In my post yesterday after the game I was simply referring to that one drive. I believe on the radio broadcast someone said anthony was going to get a drive that was totally him. After he drove us down the field he is replaced by corey on third and goal? Didn't make much since. I still believe corey is the best pure passer and every down qb but at that time I felt that anthony should have gotten his chance to finish what he started. Should be fun to watch both our qbs this yearr if they are utilized with good timing. Both appear very talented!

Navarre Trojan
09-02-2012, 05:52 PM
In my post yesterday after the game I was simply referring to that one drive. I believe on the radio broadcast someone said anthony was going to get a drive that was totally him. After he drove us down the field he is replaced by corey on third and goal? Didn't make much since. I still believe corey is the best pure passer and every down qb but at that time I felt that anthony should have gotten his chance to finish what he started. Should be fun to watch both our qbs this yearr if they are utilized with good timing. Both appear very talented!

I agree, both are talented. Now that we have bantered about the term of "depth' or 'quality depth', I believe RIGHT NOW we must have a 'quality of depth' issue within our running backs, agree? DJ is out, freshmen didn't play (a good thing if we can continue to roll without his contribution we can save him. If not, pull of the RED and let's go). So, if there is a 'quality of depth' challenge within that particular area of the team, I would LOVE TO SEE BOTH Corey (6) and Deon (7) in the game at the same time. Deon proved he can run, no question in my mind. He also showed he could throw. I LOVE THE IDEA of a "WING T" package with Shawn/Justin, Corey and Deon....

NOW THAT, MY FAITHFUL TROJAN FRIENDS, WOULD BE AN AWESOME SITE TO SEE. Not to mention the number of timeouts that might be called across the field from TMTDM!!!! While this might be taken as amusement at first glance, think about it before you respond. Just think what that alignment could do for us, Hell, we already line up that way in the spread anyway. Now, throw in the triple option BEFORE the snap, and you got something there. It might be goulash, but my bet is that it would be tasty!!!!!

Memo: for those of "us" to young to know what the Wing T Formation is, here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_philosophy_(American_football)

Check it out

pelliott
09-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Somebody correct me if I am wrong - If the "RED" you mention is directed to Brandon Burks (spelling?), and the UAB program I had is correct, #32 was on our kickoff team.

I feel like I have to be wrong, but I swear he was on the kickoff team. From the home side, about 3rd player in coming from our sideline.

Did anyone else notice that he played?

Hemi Man
09-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Somebody correct me if I am wrong - If the "RED" you mention is directed to Brandon Burks (spelling?), and the UAB program I had is correct, #32 was on our kickoff team.

I feel like I have to be wrong, but I swear he was on the kickoff team. From the home side, about 3rd player in coming from our sideline.

Did anyone else notice that he played?

He is listed as having played in the game on the game notes.

dgoebel
09-03-2012, 09:37 AM

Looking at the stats we had 6 players catch a pass. Correct me if I am wrong, but generally that number is higher?. I know for the season we generaly have 17 different players catch a pass. What does the figure generally look like for a game?. I know our run game was hot so that figured in, and Reeves had 6 catches. Just curious?

DedicatedTrojan84
09-03-2012, 09:49 AM

That is when I posted this. I am fine with a 2 qb system but to take out a guy who drove the field just to get Corey a record padding TD is insane. I hope we learned from this.

Hemi Man
09-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Looking at the stats we had 6 players catch a pass. Correct me if I am wrong, but generally that number is higher?. I know for the season we generaly have 17 different players catch a pass. What does the figure generally look like for a game?. I know our run game was hot so that figured in, and Reeves had 6 catches. Just curious?

I would say on average the past two years we have had 8 to 10 players catch the ball. Williams had one nullified by a penalty I think. Obviously when you cut the attempts and completions almost in half the number of players with catches will decrease.

Rette
09-05-2012, 05:00 PM

I didn't understand taking Deon out either. Deon Anthony looked very good to me on that drive. I think Corey is a good kid. But, I have to be honest, after two years of watching him I still don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about him on the field. With that said, I hope that will change starting this Saturday.

Hemi Man
09-05-2012, 05:11 PM
I didn't understand taking Deon out either. Deon Anthony looked very good to me on that drive. I think Corey is a good kid. But, I have to be honest, after two years of watching him I still don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about him on the field. With that said, I hope that will change starting this Saturday.

**Anthony QBed most of the drive which started on the 2-yard line, but on third and goal, Robinson went back in because the play call was a play where Robinson has to be the QB. If this were Game 6, Deon might could have stayed in. The mistake there, coach Kenny Edenfield said, was not throwing the ball away, but they feel like they learned a lot from that play.

dgoebel
09-05-2012, 05:49 PM

I have the same feeling and I hope it changes this Sat. also.