PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Bolt

Rette
10-13-2005, 11:04 AM
I have been following Troy football seriously since 2002. As I understand it, Wayne Bolt left before the 2002 season. From what I can gather Wayne was and is a very good defensive coach.
My question is, what were the cicumstances that led to his departure from Troy???

TSUWhiner
10-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Money I think. We dont pay our coaches what they are worth. In this case our OC should be making less than me..cause he is about as worthless as any coach I have ever seen. We spend our money on worthless things..instead of trying to keep good quality coaches! Does anyone agree or disagree? Let errrr rip fellas!

Trojan1998
10-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Salary. He wanted to make more money. Before he interviewed and accepted the UAB job, he had interviewed with UCF. After his interview with UAB, he asked Blakeney for a raise, but LB told him that a raise wasn't possible at that time, so Bolt bolted for B'ham.

kiwan
10-13-2005, 11:15 AM
As good as Bolt is as a defensive coach, he was twice as good as the o-line coach. He was even a good OC here. He did what was best for his family and you can't blame him. Just like Tracy Rocker he left here for Cincinatti they doubled his salary, then left there for Arkansas. They doubled that salary all while coaching the same position. WE HAVE TO PAY OUR COACHES WHAT THEY DESERVE!

TrojanWar
10-13-2005, 11:15 AM
It seems like it was over about $30,000 if I remember the story right.

Hector
10-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Bolt shopped his services to UCF, and asked Blakeney to beat the salary UCF offered. Blakeney obliged Bolt and raised his salary. two years later, Bolt tried the same ploy, this time shopping himself to UAB, and asking Blakeney to beat that. Blakeney was sick of the same game in two years, and told Bolt that he couldn't give him a second raise in two years. Bolt then left for UAB. For $15,000 more. You decide.

The Red Wave
10-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Let's let a great coach leave for $15K but keep Tammy Faye Hawkins' TWO offices. That's smart. She needs two offices like we need more global campuses. UOP with Sports

JaredMc
10-13-2005, 11:59 AM
If Bolt had not tried to play the same game 2 years in a row with Coach Blakeney, he might would have had better results. Plus, I don't think we could have kept Koenning even if we had matched Clemson's offer.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that the leadership of the University's offices took priority over keeping coaches.

TUFAN
10-13-2005, 12:22 PM
I think Bolt's departure was more than money. Some of his antics off the field had worn thin on people as well. And I agree- at this point in our program we are not usually going to keep a coach from Clemson even with the same salary.

BMarkey
10-13-2005, 02:06 PM
I might have been all for him getting a raise if he hadn't pulled that T.O.-like "I need a renegotiation of my contract" garbage, after already agreeing to a contract a year or two earlier.

He played Troy. He and the university lost.

Trojans1andAll
10-13-2005, 05:17 PM
I might have been all for him getting a raise if he hadn't pulled that T.O.-like "I need a renegotiation of my contract" garbage, after already agreeing to a contract a year or two earlier.

He played Troy. He and the university lost.

I agree with most of that, except that I don't think the University lost because we got Vic Koenning, who IMO, was even better. I think that a lot of Bolt's success in Troy was due to the talent.

Troy *did* lose when we couldn't find a way to keep Koenning.

GO TROJANS!