PDA

View Full Version : ULM looks ahead to SBC showdown

CattouseFan
10-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Louisiana-Monroe football players were eager to move past their 44-15 loss to Arkansas on Saturday night.

The team certainly has something to look forward to this week.

The Indians fell to 2-4 with the non-conference loss in Little Rock, Ark., but remained 2-0 and in first place in the Sun Belt.

ULM will next play host to Troy (2-3, 1-0) on Saturday in a game with major implications in the league. Troy knocked off North Texas 13-10 last Tuesday night to end a 26-game Sun Belt winning streak by the Mean Green. Troy and ULM are the only remaining teams without a Sun Belt loss.

"It's a home game and we're leading the conference right now," ULM defensive end Brandon Guillory said. "Our home fans will be excited and they'll be there to support us. We get to showcase our talent once again for them."

Kickoff is 2:30 p.m. for ULM's homecoming game at Malone Stadium. The showdown will be televised on ESPNU and ESPN Regional Television.

"We're looking to turn out a big win," Guillory said. "I don't mean to disrespect them because they're a good team. But we're ready to play and we're looking to win."

North Texas (1-3, 1-1) hadn't lost a conference game since a 19-17 defeat to ULM in the Sun Belt's first game, on Oct. 6, 2001.

To beat Troy, ULM must slow the run. Arkansas rushed for 321 yards against the Indians on Saturday. The Trojans utilized an effective power running game as Kenny Cattouse rushed for 109 yards against North Texas.

"They ran the ball pretty good against North Texas and even made history the other night," Guillory said. "North Texas hadn't lost a game in conference in four years. Those guys made a big stand and they're a powerhouse team. We've got to focus on their running game as well. If we go in there light-headed, those boys will run for 200 yards like Arkansas did."

ULM's offense should also brace itself for the blitz. The Razorbacks held ULM quarterback Steven Jyles to 97 yards passing with constant, disruptive heat. Troy leads the Sun Belt in team defense with 345.2 yards allowed per game.

"The way Arkansas can help us is they brought pressure," Jyles said. "We get to watch film and see how we can hurt people when they bring us pressure. That's what's going to help us from playing this game is learning to take advantage of teams when they bring pressure."

A tight play: Tight end Jesse Blair signed with ULM as a quarterback and was the third-team option a year ago.

But he didn't throw the first touchdown pass of his collegiate career until a well-executed fake field goal attempt Saturday night against Arkansas.

"I came in here playing quarterback but I didn't get to get it as a quarterback," Blair said. "Now I'm a tight end. That felt good. I'm not going to lie."

Blair's 23-yard strike went to fellow tight end Joey Trappey, who made a spectacular over-the-shoulder catch. ULM's first touchdown made the score 16-8 with 4:05 to play in the half in favor of Arkansas. The Indians would not score again until the final minute of the game.

"We've been working on that two or three weeks now," Blair said. "We finally got a chance to throw it. Joey ran a good route and got open and I got the ball off on time."

Blair, who the holder on the attempt, knew he could count on Trappey to make a play for him.

"I think Joey, by far, is the hardest-working person on the whole team," Blair said. "Everybody on the team knows that. He's an undersized guy but he's got hands and makes plays."

A Q-tip: Wide receiver Drouzon Quillen didn't have a big game with just two catches for 21 yards against Arkansas. Last year Quillen had a 77-yard touchdown reception against the Hogs.

But before Saturday's game, former NFL tight end Keith Jackson said that he liked Quillen's potential to play professionally one day.

"Drouzon Quillen is talented," said Jackson, who provides color on Arkansas radio broadcasts. "He's 6-6, 215 pounds, can run like the wind and has great hands. He's a professional football player. You can tell the skill level that he has."

Quillen caught a reception for the 25th consecutive game of his career with his first reception in the second quarter.

Arrowheads: Linebacker Jason Schule had 14 total tackles with seven solos and forced a fumble for ULM. ... The last major career passing record for Jyles to break is career passing touchdowns. Jyles has 48. He needs five to pass Raymond Philyaw (52). ... ... Darrius Battles took the team interception lead with his fourth of the season with 47.5 seconds left in the third quarter. ...For the fifth game in a row, the ULM opponent scored first.