PDA

View Full Version : Two QB scheme

trojanforce
10-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Fellow Trojans,
Help me out on this. I have been trying to figure out why LB & MF wont bench Meadows. It's a mystery to me. So here is my question: Why not split the time with dockery during our games and adjust accordingly with either more Dockery or Meadows as needed depending on our opponents and QB rhythm. I know we all would like to see one QB start and finish a game but we can't sleep on the remaining games of our schedule and this idea can work. I wish I could see all the games but if it isn't on ESPN gameplan I'm screwed. I look forward to your insights on this. GO TROJANS--keep your eyes on the prize--conference & NO Bowl 2005 champs!

Trojan Force :)

CattouseFan
10-10-2005, 06:44 PM
If we are going to run the ball 90% of the time, and I hope we do after last week, why dont we just have 2 or 3 rb in the backfield and no qb. We could go with cattouse, dawkins, and whingter and increase the amount of options we have. Maybe even put Leodis in there for a few plays. I don't have any problem with running 90% of the time if its effective but I think it could be more effective if we had more playmakers in the backfield.

Big Time Football
10-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Interesting options. However, you will not win all your remaining games without being able to pass the ball as well. The run opens up the pass and the pass opens up the run. While we haven't played that well at the pass, we are able to do it some. So, defenses have to be ready to defense it. I agree we should play both Dockery and Meadows in a game. If one gets the hot hand, keep him in. I may be very wrong, but I think it might take some pressure off Meadows. In any event, I think Dockery definitely needs to get some reps in the games. If either Meadows or Dockery goes down, we need to have an experienced backup. I don't think we should press any of the true freshmen into a pressure situation. We could give them some reps when we have a game well in hand, but I don't think I'd waste a redshirt to do so. I have to believe between Meadows and Dockery, we can get through this year. I don't think they are the QBs of the future. That is just my opinion, and we all know opinions are like ######## and everyone has one.

ThePowerMan
10-10-2005, 08:03 PM
That goes without saying Big Time. I agree. I have said for weeks that Dockery NEEDS some reps. In the UAB game there was a time that I don't think Meadows knew he was in MG Stadium. I think it would be valuable to both QBs. I still say that Meadows is not being "coached up" very good. One series he looks good and the next....... I know QB's are about 80% talent and 20% smarts (or what ever combination you want to use) but he isn't getting the 20% from our coaches. Look at Campbell at AU 3 years ago. He was getting booed off the field. Then things click with a new QB coach and suddenly he was mentioned for Heisman (not to mention a top pick in the draft). Get Dockery some time and who knows.... we actually may have to rotate QBs :?

Navarre Trojan
10-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Just line up in the old "Wing T?" What a GREAT IDEA, even if it is just for 5 or 6 plays! I bet Pike County Library has some of those old "Red Grange" books and
"Coaching Strategies" by Pop Warner, hell just rent the movie and watch the Ronnie run as George Gipp. Seriously, I DO THINK we could line up like that and do some pretty innovative play calling. Dockery in the middle, Jones, Cattouse, Whittinger and Dawkins running the plays in. I bet they waste at least one time out, especially after the first "counter left, counter right, straight up the shoot" play!!!!

Lord-Mustang
10-11-2005, 12:29 AM
With the way our two backs ran against NT, why not go back to the wishbone running the option more? hmmm? then you could utilize both backs and they wouldn't know which one to cover when. However, the only way this works well is with the, dare I say, "Proper" quarterback.

Troy87
10-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Everyone has great ideas for what players should be playing and what they can do, but as ThePowerMan stated, the QB is not getting "coached" up. Does anyone really believe MF could keep up with two QBs rotating in and out of the game? He'd pass out from confusion and upon his reviving, he'd probably call for a fake punt.

TSUfaninCALI
10-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Just line up in the old "Wing T?" What a GREAT IDEA, even if it is just for 5 or 6 plays!

That is a hell of an idea, you would have linebackers running into each other, and D-lineman so confused they would be crying. I know alot of people dismiss the Wing T as a High school offense but Deleware still runs it. I am not sure how many of you have paid attention since we left the ranks on D-1AA but Deleware won it all a couple years back running wing T every play. As modernized as everyone is trying to get I promise you most of the guys we play probably never even faced it in High school. It is a supposed dead offense like th Single wing or Wishbone. But with the right personnel either of the three would still be very effective.

And for anyone truely into Football Stratgy the Wing T is the absolute base of the famed West Coast Offense of Bill Walsh. Coach Walsh freely admits that, that he loved the Wing T but needed more of a passing game so he tweeked it. It is now a beast of it's own burden, but the orginal West Coast "SF 49ers" offense of the early 80's and Stanford offense before that was a true wing T.

trojanforce
10-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks Fellas! At least I'm not alone in my thinking. We need to mix it up a little and not be so predictable. Just image if our passing game was on fire like our running game against NT. It would have been a blow out. Great posts!

Trojan Force :D

ThePowerMan
10-12-2005, 05:29 PM
I was truly thinking at the beginning of the season that we would be more of a passing offense this year. Now ??? Who knows what we will run next week.

Troy87
10-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Any offensive scheme would be good since we don't have any apparent scheme defined at this point. It appears MF takes the same five or six plays on a list, closes his eyes and points to the list. Whichever plays he has pointed to is the next play. That's our offensive scheme!

Now we're suggesting using the Wing T, Veer or Wishbone? Despite their age, they require a very capable QB (particularly the wishbone), and an OC who can teach it and call plays for it.

Good Luck!!

Until we have an OC who can teach fundamentals and schemes, and until we have a QB coach who can teach proper QB techniques, it won't matter what our offensive scheme is. Our offensive scheme is offensive.

Navarre Trojan
10-13-2005, 07:12 AM
throw a wrench in my plans! I knew someone would find a way to keep going to the Winged T...

Go Trojans