PDA

View Full Version : Benson explored membership options for league

NWFLTrojan
07-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/D4/20120708/BLUERAIDERS01/307080044/SBC-commissioner-Benson-explored-membership-options-league?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cp&nclick_check=2

Rette
07-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Good article. Thanks for sharing.:bounce012:

TrojanFanatic
07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm very impressed with Benson so far. A 33 team super conference? That'd be so cool! A logistic nightmare, but it'd be interesting. I like that he's being aggressive, and I think it'll benefit us in the long run.

Troy87
07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
What this tells me is, at Troy, we better get our collective $h!t together, because this conference is going to get real competitve real fast. We could find ourselves hovering around the middle of the pack in two years with no real prospect of going higher.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Sunbelt is about to surge into a neck and neck race with CUSA, and it will push for second best mid-major, behind MWC, real soon. What that means is that with higher a profile conference, there will be bigger bowls slots, bigger TV contracts and more access to the general public.

If Troy is to optimize this benefit that is destined to come to this conference, Troy needs to be leading the way rather than hoping to get the last bowl spot available for the conference each year. We need to be vying for the top bowl option each year. We need to get back on top in the highest profile component of every University in the country, and the one by which most of the general public assesses a school. Football!

lemonli
07-10-2012, 04:38 AM
I'm very impressed with Benson so far. A 33 team super conference? That'd be so cool! A logistic nightmare, but it'd be interesting. I like that he's being aggressive, and I think it'll benefit us in the long run.

Yes, there is the power of the fight, the game more for human blood boiling, I like power, so agree with your point of view

Mr.E_205_Legion
07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Nice article. I love the statement, "“But we have definitely shot down (more expansion), and we have informed everyone out there that we are not in expansion mode. But I am very satisfied with where we are, very comfortable.”

Couple that with the emphasis on a TIGHT southeastern footprint and the mention of ASU and GSU on the LONG potential list of future members and two things are evident - The new commissioner reads GTT and he LIKES our input enough to consider it worthy of consideration :rollinglaugh:

I think he is slowing drawing those schools to us instead of us looking like WE need them. I agree with the post above, Troy we need to get serious or we will be riding in the Sun Belt equipment truck instead of on the team bus with the top tier teams in the conference!

As always, GO TROJANS!

pelliott
11-22-2012, 12:12 PM
my picks - La Tech, Southern Miss, SMU, Houston, East Carolina, Georgia Southern

quietstorm
11-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Looks like a super conference is imminent.

JPSousa1898
11-23-2012, 05:44 PM
I can't get the article to pull up. :confused-smiley-004

TFan
11-29-2012, 12:00 AM
I can't get the article to pull up. :confused-smiley-004

Just like this thread!!!!