PDA

View Full Version : South Alabama Recruiting

TroyTrojanMan
10-07-2005, 12:49 AM
There is a wealth of talent at the wide receiver position this season, both locally and statewide. Five receivers were listed in the Register's Elite 18 list of the state's top college prospects this year and two of them -- Crawford and Williamson's Jared White -- are from Mobile.

The others are Homewood's Tim Hawthorne; Central-Phenix City's Earl Alexander, a quarterback who projects as a receiver in college; and Wadley's Terrell Zachery, who recently committed to Auburn.

There is a corresponding glut of talent at receiver in Mobile and Baldwin counties. Aside from White and Crawford, both of whom have multiple Division I college offers, players such as Vigor's Tebiarus Gill, Fairhope's Brock Johnson, Citronelle's Derrick Skanes, Foley's Ira Bodiford and Shaw's Frantrell Forrest should be getting looks from college recruiters this year.

The only problem is, with the wealth of talent at the position statewide, there may not be as many scholarships to go around.

"You've got people like South Florida, Louisville and Southern Miss who all the sudden this year will get some high-caliber wide receivers, some guys who they wouldn't have touched," Riley said. "London Crawford is an SEC wideout who may be playing Conference USA.
Where is Troy??????
http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/11285904078410.xml&coll=3

Swordsman
10-08-2005, 12:24 AM
My point exactly. The only thing I really complain about is the POOR effort of recruiting. We have got to recruit big time to play in the big time. I never hear anything good coming from our recruiting.

BMarkey
10-08-2005, 05:37 AM
I cover high school football as a sideline and almost never run into a South Florida coach who has had dealings with Troy recruiters. That saddens me.

I know of some pretty good prospects.

CraigMack
10-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Troy doesn't have enough people on staff to do as good a job as most schools. The biggest need in the athletic dept is funds to hire more support staff members. This is an area that is SEVERELY lacking for all sports. When compared to other schools, it is amazing that TU has managed to do as well as they have.

TrojanWar
10-12-2005, 04:13 PM
When compared to other schools, it is amazing that TU has managed to do as well as they have.

What other schools? Alabama, Auburn, Florida, FSU? Obviously we can't do what those schools can at this point. If you compare our coaching staff with other schools in the Sun Belt, we are actually towards the top. We might not like the job some of our coaches are doing, but as far as numbers go, we are in good shape for a school the size of Troy. We should be able to pick up as good as if not better talent than the rest of the Sun Belt. We are in a great location for recruiting. We've got Alabama, Florida, and Georgia at our disposal. All three of these states put out rediculous numbers of D1A athletes every year. We may need to step up our efforts, but hiring more people right now is probably not an option.

CraigMack
10-12-2005, 06:32 PM
When compared to other schools, it is amazing that TU has managed to do as well as they have.

What other schools? Alabama, Auburn, Florida, FSU? Obviously we can't do what those schools can at this point. If you compare our coaching staff with other schools in the Sun Belt, we are actually towards the top. We might not like the job some of our coaches are doing, but as far as numbers go, we are in good shape for a school the size of Troy. We should be able to pick up as good as if not better talent than the rest of the Sun Belt. We are in a great location for recruiting. We've got Alabama, Florida, and Georgia at our disposal. All three of these states put out rediculous numbers of D1A athletes every year. We may need to step up our efforts, but hiring more people right now is probably not an option.

You misunderstood what I posted. I didn't say coaching staff, I said support staff....and, in this instance, I am absolutely correct. Not because I say so but because I have been told so by people who deal, and have dealt with in the past, these limitations at Troy. It's not a secret.

TrojanWar
10-13-2005, 11:03 AM
What support staff are you speaking of? I'm trying to figure out what you are saying here.

CraigMack
10-13-2005, 11:35 AM
What support staff are you speaking of? I'm trying to figure out what you are saying here.

Atletic department personnel (that doesn't refer to only coaches but to office workers, event coordinators, promotions staff etc), sports information department personnel, permanent personnel for facilities management and etc...

These shortcomings spread everyone's time very thin and there are area's that are going to suffer. It's a trickle down effect, of sorts, where someone not having job "x" done will throw off a lot of different things...some of which may have nothing to do with "x".

I probably did a pretty bad job of describing that but maybe you get the idea.

BTW, I think that Troy does an outstanding job recruiting. We're not able to recruiit the "blue chip" players but we appear to be slowly building our way towards taking the next step. It's a slow process and I'm proud of what has been accomplished thus far.

Trojan2003
10-14-2005, 09:53 PM
BTW, I think that Troy does an outstanding job recruiting. We're not able to recruiit the "blue chip" players but we appear to be slowly building our way towards taking the next step. It's a slow process and I'm proud of what has been accomplished thus far.
It's a very slow process and it appears to me that our recruiting is stagnating. I understand that there is tough competition out there, but we don't seem to be interested in any ranked player at all. We must beat Georgia Tech next year, this should help us to recruit more ranked players from Georgia. That's the ONLY way to get them.

Big Time Football
10-26-2005, 06:58 PM
BMarkey,

You are right about recruiting in Central and South Florida being nearly non-existant for Troy. Others are right about the fact it is extremely hard for the present staff to be coaches and recruiters simultaneously, meaning having to coach, do discovery, and contact the kids/coaches. I just forwarded a list of players from Armwood High School in Tampa FL, 2003 and 2004 FL 4A State Champions. They may likely three peat this year. There are kids that FSU, Miami, Florida, and USF may not recruit for various reasons but would be glad to come to Troy.

Although I'm now in NY, I maintain contact with a number of coaching friends in FL. I'm trying to push contacts to Troy since I can't be involved in any thing with the athlete proper.

TrojanWar
10-26-2005, 08:31 PM
That's what I'm talking about BTF! I know there has to be a rediculous number of D1A athletes in South Florida that would be 3 star recruits anywhere else in the country.