PDA

View Full Version : Higher One

TrojanFanatic
05-30-2012, 06:09 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47616192#.T8am8tVYuyU

A professor just posted this on Facebook about Higher One and how they're slowly stealing our (students) money if you use them for your Trojan card. What do you all think? Are we getting crapped?

troy4ever21
05-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Yeah if you don't use it for a certain period of time they charge you...

Leave it to TROY to pick a company that will screw us over.

dgoebel
05-31-2012, 03:19 PM
I had read that article the other day. Our son starts in the fall and he has orientation June 18-19 and on the itetnerary they have a Trojan One presentation. I guess I will find out but I don't like what I am hearing. He will be on the Chancellors Scholarship and no financial aid, will he even need the card?

TrojanFanatic
05-31-2012, 05:07 PM
If he gets a refund, yes he will. Every student is issued one no matter what, but it's up to the students to activate them

TrojanPride87
06-01-2012, 01:10 AM
What they don't tell you and I have read the fine print, is that if your account is at $0 and nothing is going on the card, you are not charged or no fees will happen.

TrojanPride87
06-01-2012, 01:12 AM
I have had my account at $0 for 3 years and no fees have been applied or anything.

TrojanFanatic
06-01-2012, 01:15 PM
That's right, as long as you keep the balance to zero, or maybe less than a dollar, then they can't charge you. It's almost worth the three dollar ATM fee to pull all your money out of the account, considering you can only pull 500 out of the Higher One ATM's a day.

Aaron_HigherOne
06-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Aaron Poach and I work with Higher One. I'd like to provide some information about how the Trojan OneCard works and provide some helpful resources as well.

First, it is very important to know that students always have two, free, electronic options for receiving their refunds from Troy University. Higher One has never, and will never, charge a student for receiving their refund money.

The card is merely a key. When it arrives in the mail, it has no purchasing power, and no money on it. The card is used to select one of the following two options:
1) Direct Deposit to an existing bank account - students can choose to have the money direct deposited into a bank account of their choice. This is 100% free. Refunds do take 2-3 business days to become available once Higher One has disbursed them however. This is not because Higher One is holding the funds though. All refunds are disbursed at the exact same time regardless of students' preferences. The 2-3 days is because the money is sent through the Automated Clearing House, or ACH. Once we send it there, it is up to them to deposit the money into the designated bank account which generally takes 2-3 business days.
2) Open a fully functioning, FDIC Insured checking account offered by Higher One. If this option is selected, it is at time time the Trojan OneCard becomes a functioning debit card. If option 1 is selected, the card is still just a piece for plastic.

If someone selects the second option, it is very important to be fully aware of any and all fees associated with the account, as well as the terms and conditions. This is true for any checking account that any person opens. We provide our fee schedule right on the homepage of www.TrojanOneCard.com. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see "Fee Schedule" at the footer (also here: https://trojanonecard.higheroneaccount.com/studentaccount/feeschedules.do). We provide this before a student even begins the refund selection process so that they make the choice that works best for them. There is even a column explaining how to avoid each individual fee. The OneAccount has no monthly fees, and no minimum balance requirements. While there are fees associated with the account, it is very easy to completely avoid fees by following the steps below:

--When making purchases, always select, "Credit" and sign the receipt or screen. Entering your PIN will incur a $0.50 PIN transaction fee, but more importantly, does not cover you under MaterCard's Zero Liability Protection policy. Selecting "Credit" does cover you however
--Use Higher One ATMs. Here is a list of ATMs at Troy University: https://www.higheroneaccount.com/easyhelp/pta?basepage=answer&type=public&param=1468. You can find a full list of ATMs by following these steps: https://www.higheroneaccount.com/easyhelp/pta?basepage=answer&type=public&param=2241
--Be sure there is enough money in your account to cover purchases and automatic payments to avoid incurring any overdraft charges
-- Lastly, the Abandon Account Fee. This is only charged to customers who have a balance on their account, and have no activity for 6 months. During this 6 months, we are constantly reminding students to log in and review everything. We also contact the student one month before to inform them they may be charged this fee if action is not taken. Accounts with a $0 balance will never incur this fee, and the fee can never send a customer into the negative.

I hope this information is helpful! Please remember, and please tell others, that students always have a choice for receiving refunds, and the OneAccount option is only 1 of 2 choices. For additional information, EasyHelp is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, Customer Care call center is available by calling the number on the back of your card M-F 8am-11pm ET, and @AskHigherOne is available on Twitter from 9am-6pmET M-F.

Thank you!
Aaron, Higher One

theman
06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Aaron Poach and I work with Higher One. I'd like to provide some information about how the Trojan OneCard works and provide some helpful resources as well.

First, it is very important to know that students always have two, free, electronic options for receiving their refunds from Troy University. Higher One has never, and will never, charge a student for receiving their refund money.

The card is merely a key. When it arrives in the mail, it has no purchasing power, and no money on it. The card is used to select one of the following two options:
1) Direct Deposit to an existing bank account - students can choose to have the money direct deposited into a bank account of their choice. This is 100% free. Refunds do take 2-3 business days to become available once Higher One has disbursed them however. This is not because Higher One is holding the funds though. All refunds are disbursed at the exact same time regardless of students' preferences. The 2-3 days is because the money is sent through the Automated Clearing House, or ACH. Once we send it there, it is up to them to deposit the money into the designated bank account which generally takes 2-3 business days.
2) Open a fully functioning, FDIC Insured checking account offered by Higher One. If this option is selected, it is at time time the Trojan OneCard becomes a functioning debit card. If option 1 is selected, the card is still just a piece for plastic.

If someone selects the second option, it is very important to be fully aware of any and all fees associated with the account, as well as the terms and conditions. This is true for any checking account that any person opens. We provide our fee schedule right on the homepage of www.TrojanOneCard.com. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see "Fee Schedule" at the footer (also here: https://trojanonecard.higheroneaccount.com/studentaccount/feeschedules.do). We provide this before a student even begins the refund selection process so that they make the choice that works best for them. There is even a column explaining how to avoid each individual fee. The OneAccount has no monthly fees, and no minimum balance requirements. While there are fees associated with the account, it is very easy to completely avoid fees by following the steps below:

--When making purchases, always select, "Credit" and sign the receipt or screen. Entering your PIN will incur a $0.50 PIN transaction fee, but more importantly, does not cover you under MaterCard's Zero Liability Protection policy. Selecting "Credit" does cover you however
--Use Higher One ATMs. Here is a list of ATMs at Troy University: https://www.higheroneaccount.com/easyhelp/pta?basepage=answer&type=public&param=1468. You can find a full list of ATMs by following these steps: https://www.higheroneaccount.com/easyhelp/pta?basepage=answer&type=public&param=2241
--Be sure there is enough money in your account to cover purchases and automatic payments to avoid incurring any overdraft charges
-- Lastly, the Abandon Account Fee. This is only charged to customers who have a balance on their account, and have no activity for 6 months. During this 6 months, we are constantly reminding students to log in and review everything. We also contact the student one month before to inform them they may be charged this fee if action is not taken. Accounts with a $0 balance will never incur this fee, and the fee can never send a customer into the negative.

I hope this information is helpful! Please remember, and please tell others, that students always have a choice for receiving refunds, and the OneAccount option is only 1 of 2 choices. For additional information, EasyHelp is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, Customer Care call center is available by calling the number on the back of your card M-F 8am-11pm ET, and @AskHigherOne is available on Twitter from 9am-6pmET M-F.

Thank you!
Aaron, Higher One

1. Is this card also the official student ID card for Troy?
2. How much money is Higher One paying Troy Univeristy or its foundation to be able to provide this service to students?
3. Is the agreement between Troy/the foundation public record? If not, why not?

TrojanFanatic
06-11-2012, 10:43 PM
The answer to question one is No, we have Student ID's with pictures on them. They're red with the Trojan Statue on them